• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Requesting advice on laptop battery replacement (or: could MacBook owners smell their vents for me?)

Raccoon

Fox Brigade
Pronouns
He/Him
This question might be better suited for Reddit, but I know the site and broadly trust your collective judgment.

A few weeks ago I noticed the distinctive smell of Lithium Ion battery solvent from my 2021 MacBook Pro after some minor physical damage. The battery reported its status as normal, but I ordered an aftermarket replacement and stopped using the unit.

However, I just removed the system's bottom plate and everything seems fine. There is no visual indication of a leak, and none of the cells are swollen or otherwise appear damaged. The physical damage is a dent on the "interior" of the unit, right of the trackpad, so the leak may be apparent on the obscured side of the battery.

So, now I feel I need to make a choice. I could continue with my amateur repair and replace the battery with what I assume is a noticeably inferior part (that, for its part, smells a tiny bit like solvent too), or pack it back up and forget my concerns for now. Returning the replacement isn't an option anyway, so I'll always have the part if things get worse.

Now, partially due to my own curiosity, I'd greatly appreciate it if my fellow M1 MacBook users could smell their machines for me. The side vents are right by the battery cells, so please give them a good whiff for me. Also, of course, please let me know what you think!

I have the 2020 MacBook Pro, not an M1, but the vents here don't really have any discernible smell

Smelled mine and didn't notice anything weird

I'm Intel not M1 so I can't be too helpful here, no smell for me though.

From my own experience with battery issues on my previous MBP though, I went for an aftermarket replacement myself after water damage and had no issues. However, I started at the Apple store just to make sure I had a pinpoint on what the issue was, then denied their fix and handled it myself.

Back
Top Bottom