• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Fun Club Report: nintendo probably 𝘥𝘪𝘥𝘯'𝘵 run love hotels prior to becoming a game company.

Krvavi Abadas

Mr. Archivist
Pronouns
He/They

direct link to the article mentioned in the tweet.
as noted, there's evidence of the other unusual branches existing. for example, here's a historical photo of Satoru Okada working on the taxi business.

but nothing on any love hotels. the myth seems to have originated from the 1993 book "game over", or at least that's the earliest mention the article writer could find.

so it looks like this will have to end up in the archives of urban legends, like the infamous "a delayed game is eventually good" quote.

How legal were love hotels? Would they even keep them on the same books? I'll never let it go lol

hqdefault.jpg

Thanks for posting! Love it when long-standing assumptions like this are challenged.

I can't believe it! But if the only source is that book Game Over, it's more than likely fake.

Thinking about Nintendo's history, it fascinates me that it's older than IBM and only three years younger than Coca-Cola.

In my heart, they did. And one day, I'll go to a Nintendo themed love hotel, doesn't matter if I'm the one that needs to open one.

How legal were love hotels? Would they even keep them on the same books? I'll never let it go lol

They still exist and as far as I know they are legal since they’re not brothels - although I’m sure sex workers use them - but they are just hotels that the rooms are laid out for couples to enjoy, whether a partner or a club hook up. Many rooms have themes too. It’s like if every room was a honeymoon suite in a way

They're just hotels for very short stays (think anything from two hours to overnight). Some of them have kinky themes, but most of them just have regular rooms.

Supposedly, they are for couples who find it hard to get privacy in their tiny apartments, but of course they cater for bosses and secretaries, and prostitutes and clients as well.

There's one next to my favourite ramen shop, and sometimes while waiting in line outside it's funny to see a couple walk past the line and go into the hotel, trying to look as inconspicuous as possible.

This is one of those things that is just funny to believe it's true even when it's proven that it isn't. The fact that this is something uncharacteristic of Nintendo and thus would not be readily acknowledged by them makes it more difficult to verify. I'm glad that there are journalists that challenged this fact rather than just assume it's true just because of one excerpt in a book.

Personally, contrary to popular opinion, I find it easier to believe that Nintendo did not run love hotels.

Thank you for reading.

Ah, well, the window on having a Nintendo president who was conceived in a Nintendo love hotel was closing anyway.

Window for Nintendo president mid-wifed in a traffic jam by a panicking Nintendo taxi cab driver still open!

Note: even though the love hotels don't exist, old nintendo was still horny.
The unreleased arcade game "Fascination" showed the sleazy side of Nintendo.

fascination.png

Fascination, an unreleased erotic game developed by Nintendo in 1974.

In 1974, Nintendo had to deal with financial difficulties after the commercial failure of the Laser Clay shooting system, a very expensive arcade game which used light guns and bowling alleys. In order to keep his company afloat, Hiroshi Yamauchi asked Gunpei Yokoi to develop a new title. Thus was born Wild Gunman, a game which looks and plays like Mad Dog McCree, a live-action shooting game released more than a decade later. The game itself is based on a pretty simple combination of tapes and optoelectronic technology. While it’s not as well known as the eponymous Famicom game released in 1984, it’s nothing compared to Fascination, an unreleased erotic game which used the same technology.

Gunpei Yokoi:
“I knew that there would be only male journalists during the presentation of Wild Gunman, so I wondered if there was not a way to pull off a major coup by making something unusual that would seduce them. That’s how I imagined Fascination (ファッシネーション).
In this game, you see a young woman waddling to the rhythm of the music. The film stops when the lady shows you a closure on her clothes. If you manage to hit the target, then the video resumes and you can see her clothes fall off. By succeeding in a perfect series of shots, it was even possible to see the young woman completely naked (laughs). As you can imagine, this iteration of our game was a real success and was even more popular than Wild Gunman!
Actually, we did not really intend to sell this game because it used a much more complicated and fragile mechanism than the other title. We did set up some prototypes in Shinjuku and, you know, it was a great success.
We had hired a young Swedish woman as a model and I wanted to take part in shooting the sequences. She was really beautiful! At that time, CG did not exist and the challenge of making the images interactive was particularly fun.”

Needless to say, I haven’t been able to find any pic of this game.
I’ll let you decide wether or not Fascination is a video game (is technology more important than gameplay, etc.), but if you think it is, it may be the very first erotic video game ever made – Hudson Soft’s Yakyūken, often regarded as the first of its kind, was released in 1981.
On a related note, companies such as Koei (Nightlife), Enix (Lolita Syndrome), Falcom (Joshi Daisei Private) and Capcom (Mahjong Gakuen) also produced a few eroges during their early years, but that’s another story.

source

Last edited:
Doest that mean the dream of having the seggs in Luigi and Daisy cosplay, screaming nonsense in american-italian with my wife in a ex-Nintendo love hotel will never realize?

I am destroyed.

The unreleased arcade game "Fascination" showed the sleazy side of Nintendo.

fascination.png

Fascination, an unreleased erotic game developed by Nintendo in 1974.

In 1974, Nintendo had to deal with financial difficulties after the commercial failure of the Laser Clay shooting system, a very expensive arcade game which used light guns and bowling alleys. In order to keep his company afloat, Hiroshi Yamauchi asked Gunpei Yokoi to develop a new title. Thus was born Wild Gunman, a game which looks and plays like Mad Dog McCree, a live-action shooting game released more than a decade later. The game itself is based on a pretty simple combination of tapes and optoelectronic technology. While it’s not as well known as the eponymous Famicom game released in 1984, it’s nothing compared to Fascination, an unreleased erotic game which used the same technology.

Gunpei Yokoi:
“I knew that there would be only male journalists during the presentation of Wild Gunman, so I wondered if there was not a way to pull off a major coup by making something unusual that would seduce them. That’s how I imagined Fascination (ファッシネーション).
In this game, you see a young woman waddling to the rhythm of the music. The film stops when the lady shows you a closure on her clothes. If you manage to hit the target, then the video resumes and you can see her clothes fall off. By succeeding in a perfect series of shots, it was even possible to see the young woman completely naked (laughs). As you can imagine, this iteration of our game was a real success and was even more popular than Wild Gunman!"

source
yeah, there's this at least.

wild gunman is also inadvertently associated with horny too. the only reason we have high quality footage of the game preserved is because it showed up in a random sex comedy from 1981.

"A delayed love hotel is eventually good, but a rushed love hotel is always bad" - Shiggy

Clearly Nintendo is just biding their time

Back
Top Bottom