• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Reggie Fils-Aime has a forthcoming book about his life and carrer

Dekuman

Kremling
Pronouns
He/Him/His
I was searching audible for something gaming related to listen to (the selection is quite thin) but this came up on my pre-order list.

I searched and doesn't look like it's been posted.
It's due out May 2022

Disrupting the Game: From the Bronx to the Top of Nintendo
Summary:
Although he’s best known as Nintendo's iconic President of the Americas-immortalized for opening Nintendo’s 2004 E3 presentation with, “My name is Reggie, I'm about kicking ass, I'm about taking names, and we're about making games”-Reggie Fils-Aimé’s story is the ultimate gameplan for anyone looking to beat the odds and achieve success.

Learn from Reggie how to leverage disruptive thinking to pinpoint the life choices that will make you truly happy, conquer negative perceptions from those who underestimate or outright dismiss you, and master the grit, perseverance, and resilience it takes to dominate in the business world and to reach your professional dreams.

As close to sitting one-on-one with the gaming legend as it gets, you will learn:

• About the challenges Reggie faced throughout his life and career-from his humble childhood as the son of Haitian immigrants, to becoming one of the most powerful names in the history of the gaming industry.
  • What it takes to reach the top of your own industry, including being brave enough to stand up for your ideas, while also being open to alternative paths to success.
  • How to create vibrant and believable visions for your team and company.
  • How to maintain relentless curiosity and know when to ask questions to shatter the status quo.

The final cover will be even more zoomed in on his face
reggie-reggie-fils-aime.gif

Oooh nice! I'm starting to collect quite a nice little collection of games industry books between Jason Schreier's, Ask Iwata... any other recs fami-fam?

Thank god that cover is temporary btw lol
It’s not exactly the same as the books you listed. But a fun read is “Console Wars” by Blake Harris. It essentially follows Sega of America’s rise to power during the Genesis era and their fall to corporate politics.

Will it include the reason why Mother 3 never made it to the West so it can end the conspiracy theories.
There will be 1 line about it that will fan the flames!

Reading the summary it seems like it's less an autobiography as I alluded to in the title but probably more like an inspirational guide to success as told by Reggie. But I am sure there will be a goldmine of Nintendo nuggets

Reggies 2004 speak was so legendary. the kicking ass and taking name phrase was one thing but the whole speech about nintendo being all about games was so great. also it was basically the start of a new era for nintendo.

Seconding the possibility that there will be less historical gaming info than expected, Ask Iwata didn't really have too much of that either. But it was still a pretty good book.
Will it include the reason why Mother 3 never made it to the West so it can end the conspiracy theories.
The original GBA release? Probably because of it launching so close to the Nintendo DS.

The heavily rumored Virtual Console localization? They're almost certainly waiting for the right time to release it. Evidence suggests that the localization of the first Fire Emblem game (Namely the fact it uses the exact same emulator the Wii U used.) was made around the same time, and the "they had concerns about the content" theory doesn't really hold water when you consider that
  1. They already ensured the series was targeted to older audiences now, by re-rating the first two titles with a Teen rating.
  2. Pretty much everyone already knows what to expect thanks to the fan translation.
Nintendo has occasionally censored their emulated titles (Most notably with the Pokemon games, which typically modify Jynx's design so she no longer resembles a blackface caricature.) but in those cases the title is still clearly being targeted to children.
Mother doesn't have this restriction, so at worst all they need to do is add a quick content warning explaining the game is a product of it's time.

Reggies 2004 speak was so legendary. the kicking ass and taking name phrase was one thing but the whole speech about nintendo being all about games was so great. also it was basically the start of a new era for nintendo.
Funny thing about that is, that whole persona and line was from a consultant Nintendo hired. The real Reggie we got later was much softer, but the kick ass and take names reputation stuck, because he does look quite imposing sometimes when he's excited about something.

Funny thing about that is, that whole persona and line was from a consultant Nintendo hired. The real Reggie we got later was much softer, but the kick ass and take names reputation stuck, because he does look quite imposing sometimes when he's excited about something.
give that consultant more money

Oooh nice! I'm starting to collect quite a nice little collection of games industry books between Jason Schreier's, Ask Iwata... any other recs fami-fam?

I'm not sure how well it holds up now but Game Over: Press Start to Continue was a must read about the history of the industry back when it came out.

I've been on a kick lately. In addition to Schreier's two great books, I can vouch for The Tetris Effect, Sid Meier's Memoir! and Masters of Doom.

I'd love to hear more recs or even see a "books about video games" thread at some point.

Confirmation Reggie will be reading the audiobook version of his book!

Edit seems like the profile is protected. so only I can see it.

FPvdkAKXMAgmYav

The Tetris Effect: The Game that Hypnotized the World is a fascinating explanation of how Tetris made it out from behind the Iron Curtain in the waning days of the USSR.

The Comic Book Story of Video Games probably has a lot that you already know, but it's still very neat (and might have some things that you don't know; I didn't know about Jerry Lawson or really that there were any important black game developers/engineers in the early days of American gaming).

Picked this up with an audible credit and will give it a listen.

I'm not usually one to buy these type of books, but some of the stuff I'm hearing is interesting and I might actually pick this up.

Though Reggie was right about Wii Sports, personally I think billiards on Wii Play is better than all the games on Wii Sports, and personally I think I would have been just as happy or more if Wii Play were the pack-in on the strength of billiards and the light-gun target shooter minigame.

But yes, Wii Sports was more cohesive and was the right move.

I'm going to grab this book because, just from the WaPo excerpt, it's clear that some of the book will address how Nintendo of Japan still has a hard time understanding what its American audience wants or likes, which is sort of weird in a way because they've been in this market forever and are generally successful here.

Oooh dang, would love to see pics when you get it!
Unfortunately, it hasn't shipped yet. I'll post a picture as soon as it is received! I would have bought it at my local book store if not for the signed bookplate. Though being NYC based, I hope he does a book signing event at Nintendo (World) Store!

The Tetris Effect: The Game that Hypnotized the World is a fascinating explanation of how Tetris made it out from behind the Iron Curtain in the waning days of the USSR.

The Comic Book Story of Video Games probably has a lot that you already know, but it's still very neat (and might have some things that you don't know; I didn't know about Jerry Lawson or really that there were any important black game developers/engineers in the early days of American gaming).
Thanks for the recs! TIL Kojima also has a book out, "The Creative Gene"

Thanks for the recs! TIL Kojima also has a book out, "The Creative Gene"
The Kojima book is pretty interesting as well. It’s a bunch of his recommendations on various movies and book, sprinkled in with some personal stories about where and when they came into his life. It’s a unique format for a book but gives a good insight into the kind of person he is.

The Kojima book is pretty interesting as well. It’s a bunch of his recommendations on various movies and book, sprinkled in with some personal stories about where and when they came into his life. It’s a unique format for a book but gives a good insight into the kind of person he is.
He's the only person besides me I've seen extol the virtues of I Spy Treasure Hunt (one of the top 50 video games)

Back
Top Bottom