• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Recommend music to anyone

I was watching a review of RUINER by Mandalore on Youtube when he talked about the soundtrack and especially the theme used for the main town was by Susumu Hirawasa. I didn't really cared for it at first, but Mandalore let a few seconds of the track and it intrigued me.

I finally found the track on YT and was quite surprised at the lengh : 13 minutes ! Even longer than Star Ocean 3' final boss theme (Highbrow, 10 minutes).

So I listened to it and... it blew my mind. So much that I went and bought the AURORA album that features the track : "Paranesian Circle - ISLAND DOOR".

Why this track works so much with me ? Well I was kinda stuck with my book. Despite having most of the story already planned, some parts needed something to be linked and some relations needed to be heavily modifed / restarted from scratch, I was also having problems with the motivations and backstory of some of the antagonists and how to work them in a path of redemption (while not excusing their crimes / bad actions). And this music solved pretty much everything. The final part had me "see" the characters.

As a bonus, Susumu Hirasawxa is a massive Trans supporter in Japan since he saw trans artists perform in Thailand. He then decided to include trans artists in his lives concerts.

EDIT :
Here's a Live version of the track, with a very different tone and mid-part, but the last segment is much closer to the original version (I love both) :

I was watching a review of RUINER by Mandalore on Youtube when he talked about the soundtrack and especially the theme used for the main town was by Susumu Hirawasa. I didn't really cared for it at first, but Mandalore let a few seconds of the track and it intrigued me.

I finally found the track on YT and was quite surprised at the lengh : 13 minutes ! Even longer than Star Ocean 3' final boss theme (Highbrow, 10 minutes).

So I listened to it and... it blew my mind. So much that I went and bought the AURORA album that features the track : "Paranesian Circle - ISLAND DOOR".

Why this track works so much with me ? Well I was kinda stuck with my book. Despite having most of the story already planned, some parts needed something to be linked and some relations needed to be heavily modifed / restarted from scratch, I was also having problems with the motivations and backstory of some of the antagonists and how to work them in a path of redemption (while not excusing their crimes / bad actions). And this music solved pretty much everything. The final part had me "see" the characters.

As a bonus, Susumu Hirasawxa is a massive Trans supporter in Japan since he saw trans artists perform in Thailand. He then decided to include trans artists in his lives concerts.

EDIT :
Here's a Live version of the track, with a very different tone and mid-part, but the last segment is much closer to the original version (I love both) :

Susumu Hirusawa rules. You love to see it.

Not like the group needs any real recommendations but...

I've been getting more and more into their discography and goddamn I love this song. It's so cool. There are songs you'll hear and wonder "how did they write this FORTY-FIVE years ago?" Meanwhile I have a lot of songwriting habits I can't get passed half the time.

Just found out that he also worked on the soundtrack of numerous Berserk adaptations.
I’m mostly familiar with him due to his numerous collaborations with Satoshi Kon (RIP) but I’ve also enjoyed his standalone recordings. Also just realized I misspelled his last name up there, to my great shame.

Not like the group needs any real recommendations but...

I've been getting more and more into their discography and goddamn I love this song. It's so cool. There are songs you'll hear and wonder "how did they write this FORTY-FIVE years ago?" Meanwhile I have a lot of songwriting habits I can't get passed half the time.

Toto rules, Hold the Line is such a classic.

I’m someone who isn’t ashamed to admit that i like power metal. This song rips.

Unleash the Archers - Northwest Passage

I was supposed to see Unleash the Archers back in March 2020 when they were opening for Dragonforce, but obviously the show was cancelled and never rescheduled. i was so hyped for the show, too..

I’m someone who isn’t ashamed to admit that i like power metal. This song rips.

Unleash the Archers - Northwest Passage

I was supposed to see Unleash the Archers back in March 2020 when they were opening for Dragonforce, but obviously the show was cancelled and never rescheduled. i was so hyped for the show, too..

Unleash the Archers is great, I just discovered them not long ago. I like pretty much all kinds of metal, usually more on the melodic side so power metal is definitely there! One of the best concerts I’ve ever been to was I saw Sonata Arctica like 15 years ago and they killed it.

Unleash the Archers is great, I just discovered them not long ago. I like pretty much all kinds of metal, usually more on the melodic side so power metal is definitely there! One of the best concerts I’ve ever been to was I saw Sonata Arctica like 15 years ago and they killed it.
What would you recommend in terms of melodic metal?

What would you recommend in terms of melodic metal?
Hoo boy, there's tons, and lots of different styles! I could give recommendations for days, but here's a few:

For starters, Unleash the Archers like @Red Monster posted are great and Northwest Passage rips.

Nightwish is a dark/melodic/symphonic metal band with some great stuff, Over the Hills and Far Away is a somewhat similar track that I like:

Blind Guardian is more power metal and does a lot of fantasy-inspired songs, this whole album is based on Tolkien's The Silmarillion:

Sabaton is a little cheesy but they have some really melodic and catchy metal tracks, and not many bands do songs about world history (a Swedish King in this case, I think):

Symphony X is more prog/power metal, but I love their stuff, and they do some crazy concept albums too, like this track "Eve of Seduction" from an album based on Paradise Lost:

And finally, Wintersun is heavier and very 'busy', and has much harsher vocals (sometimes screams, sometimes clean) but they're also very melodic and this track is a treat:

I could keep going, but that's enough for now!

Back
Top Bottom