• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Re-naming Off-Topic (Community feedback needed)

What should we re-name Off Topic board to? (Read OP)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
E

Emily

Me and @bellydrum were brainstorming ideas for re-naming "Off Topic" to something that better fits with this site's Nintendo-centric theme. Something more playful and fun. We thought it would be a good idea to hear if the community had any good ideas or suggestions.

You've seen how the site has "Player's Pulse", "StarTopics", "Now You're Playing With Power" and the Miiverse "Yeahs". These tiny details help give this site it's own unique personality so it doesn't feel like another boring, generic gaming forum.

For additional context:
  • Resetera doesn't literally call their board "off topic". They creatively named it "Etcetera".
  • IGN doesn't call their board "off topic". They named it "The Vestibule".

We brainstormed three or four possible names to re-name Off-Topic. Originally, we were thinking about the whole "cafe" concept. A cozy, stress-free atmosphere where a group of friends get together, chill and relax.

Anyways, here were some of the ideas we considered.

1. "The Roost"

In the Animal Crossing series, Brewster runs a cafe called "The Roost", where he serves coffee drinks to the villagers. (You can read about it here)

maxresdefault.jpg

2. "Kirby's Cafe"

Kirby Café was a short-lived restaurant chain in Japan, themed around Kirby. This restaurant existed in Japan in real life, but it was unfortunately closed down.

It sold food, drinks and pastries. (You can read about it here)

aHR0cDovL28uYW9sY2RuLmNvbS9oc3Mvc3RvcmFnZS9taWRhcy83ZTZjMmI2OWZmNWZlNTNmODI5YTFlZjFkNjFiZjhiYS8yMDQzODU5MDIva2lyYnloaXJlczIwMTYtMDktMjgrMTMuMjEuNDRoaWZpbGUxNDAwKzIuanBn

3. "DK's Treehouse" ... or ... "The Treehouse"

Nintendo Treehouse - the company's product development division - was named after Donkey Kong's Treehouse (from Donkey Kong Country).

I'm sure everyone has also heard of Treehouse Live.

300px-DK%27s_Treehouse_art.jpg

4. Other Ideas

If anyone has any other (better ideas) to rename Off-Topic, please feel free to post them in this thread.

I'm sure there's a ton of names we haven't even considered.

Voted for The Roost, but it was a coin-toss between that and The Treehouse.

The Roost might be too niche. The Treehouse or just Treehouse is perfect imo. More in line with Nintendo in general as well.

Went with the Roost but The Treehouse is also fantastic.

Was trying to think of something with those Wii "take a break from the and go outside" messages but couldn't think of anything.

Big fan of The Treehouse.

Because in this house, we’re fami-ly.

I really wanted to vote for DK's Treehouse but The Roost just makes so much sense.

I am very into The Roost but the Treehouse would be good too. Man, this is all so fun

I was gonna say The Treehouse but then Derachi comes in with Non-tendo....

Gotta say, Nontendo wins it for me. Unless I think of something on my own.

Gosh, isn't there a game that used Nontendo? Is it Rusty's Real Deal Baseball? That's a good reference

Voted for The Treehouse, but I like The Roost and Kirby's Café too.

Really excited for what the community decides on.

I like Treehouse, but this would be technically a good name for on topic…

Thematically I prefer The Roost, fits the cozy atmosphere. Buuut I voted The Treehouse, as I find it more fitting with the site's naming scheme on the whole.

If Nontendo really becomes a thing I vote for the renaming of Gaming to Treehouse.

If I had to pick one, The Roost. Treehouse is associated with deep dives of games at E3, and in a forum context that’s where I’d expect to see STs for a game hosted as those topics, like Treehouse, are deep dives.

One suggestion if there's interest.

The Treehouse = The Gaming board.
The Roost = The Off-Topic board.

We only have 2 discussion boards. So as long as the board descriptions are clear, it shouldn't be too confusing.

I like this. This is perfect.

We only have 2 discussion boards. So as long as the board descriptions are clear, it shouldn't be too confusing.
If we can’t have “Non-Tendo” then this is acceptable

Voted for The Roost, but I love this idea.

This is an excellent idea

I voted The Treehouse which I think fits really well given Ninty's own Treehouse Lives and all too ^^

I gotta stop writing joke name suggestions for things because y’all keep taking them seriously lol

Please do not actually use Non-Tendo. Please.

This is good!

I actually.... like that lot.. :D

Dang, I love this. It gives me "friends playing SNES and drinking orange soda in a treehouse" vibes.

I gotta stop writing joke name suggestions for things because y’all keep taking them seriously lol

Please do not actually use Non-Tendo. Please.
I'll be reading it as non-tendo whatever the official name becomes. It's real to me!

Well just to be an awkward stick in the mud I'm just going to suggest The Milk Bar as an alternative.

300px-MM3D_Milk_Bar.png

This is exactly what I was thinking, too! Considering the results are almost 50:50 this seems like a good compromise, too.

Back
Top Bottom