• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion R(h)ate the Direct (February 2024 Partners Edition) - Nintendo Direct Review Thread™ - FINAL RESULTS ARE IN

r(h)ate the Direct

• 1 star

Votes: 40 9.0%
  • 2 stars

Votes: 87 19.5%
  • 3 stars

Votes: 159 35.7%
  • 4 stars

Votes: 141 31.6%
  • 5 stars

Votes: 19 4.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I thought it was a great Partner. Though looking forward to the General(apparently in April?).

I give it maybe about 4/5, or 3.75? A solid direct with a few games I am definitely trying. And yeah this was more exciting than some of the weaker Generals lol

Penny’s Big Breakaway and Pepper Grinder were new to me/not on my radar and look fantastic, esp. the former.

I haven’t been paying attention to Obsidian for a while so Pentiment slipped me by. It seems exactly like my sort of game so this is a pleasant surprise.

The theme of the Direct was “up to 10/15/30/40 players can play online…”

I was hoping for some Dragon Quest. But SMT VV, new Moneky Ball, those Rare ges, Battlefront, endless Ocean, and more made a real solid showing.

Damn, bro. Got the whole squad hyped.

2/5. Star Wars Battlefront Classic Collection and Suika Game multiplayer mode offered some redemption.

Solid 3.5/5 for me (voted 3/5). Really surprised at the absolute lack of Square-Enix with SaGa Emerald Beyond on the horizon. Otherwise, some good and varied announcements and it feels like they packed a lot into the 25 minutes. Loved the Rare NSO mic drop at the end.

EDIT: And I've got at least 3 demos queued up to download which is a really good sign.

To be honest, it wasn’t great. Might be my least favourite Direct. Can’t be all bangers right?

I’m somewhat surprised about so much excitement for Epic Mickey. Found the original to be rather underwhelming.

SMT V Vengeance is a wait and see thing. If the new content is cool, I’m in like Flynn. Otherwise the Direct kind of missed bite. Nothing really huge in it.

Might be a good thing, my backlog needs to shrink

Anyone complaining about this direct who owned a Wii U can stop.

You know what I mean.

I thought this was a great 3.5 star direct!

Classic 3/5 objectively to me. I can’t say anything I saw was a personal must-buy, but I am somewhat picky, and it didn’t look like there was much shovelware. If Mother 3 had been localized… instant 5/5 for that alone. But we all know that’s never going to happen xP

By Partner Direct standards? 4/5 (thank you Monkey Ball)

By overall Direct standards? 2/5

A Star Wars Battlefront (the real ones) port is something I've been wanting for YEARS. So glad it's actually happening, has the old bonus content and supports online play. If Aspyr didn't have a history of buggy releases I'd definitely get it Day 1. Endless Ocean seems like a cool game. Might check it out eventually. Online VS Suika game sounds like great fun, will definitely buy that DLC once the online mode comes out.

My most anticipated game, Ys X Nordics already got its localization confirmed, so 2024 is looking okay to me so far. If Nintendo can surprise me with something Fire Emblem related eventually it'll hold me over until the next gen Switch lol

Very good for a partner direct 4/5. Expected nothing, but got:

Endless Ocean
Epic Mickey
Grounded
Pentiment
Kingdom Come Deliverence
Unicorn Overlord
Monster Hunter Stories
Battlefront
And some more

Call me surprised

5 Rareware games were not only shadowdropped, but given their own dedicated segment as the penultimate announcement of the direct. I couldn’t ask for anything more. So that’s an easy 5 Star rating from me.

This direct was honestly great. Good variety of genres between the ports and new games. Easy 8/10 for a partner direct.

I recommend anyone try out the demos that were offered.

Pocket Card Jockey.
Pepper Grinder.
Unicorn Overload.

I've tried these and they're a lot of fun. PCJ is hilarious.

My little human brain can’t comprehend the fact that there are people out there who would rate a direct with a new Monkey Ball and an Epic Mickey remaster as bad.

Also, can we bring direct speculation thread back now, I went to the general discussion and I have no idea what’s going on over there lol

Wow, I went in with low expectations, but this didn't even meet those. I'd give it a 2/5, which puts it below even the Sept 2023 Direct for me.

Full breakdown:
  • Grounded - (The 2nd least exciting Xbox game going multi-plat. And the port doesn't look all that great from the trailer.)
  • Ender Magnolia - (Sweet! Though this probably would have landed better in an Indie World.)
  • Arranger - (Interesting. Probably should have saved for an Indie World though.)
  • Unicorn Overloard - (Looks awesome, but previously announced. Looking forward to playing the demo.)
  • Monster Hunter Stories - (3DS games are still too recent for me to get hyped for remasters. Wait for a sale.)
  • Epic Mickey - (I remember this game wasn't even received all that well on Wii...)
  • SMT V: V (New content looks cool, but I feel burned as an early adopter. Will wait for $30 Black Friday sale.)
  • Star Wars Battlefront - (Might check these out)
  • South Park - (Previously announced licensed westaboo game)
    Sword Art Online - (Licensed anime game)
  • Gundam Breaker 4 - (Licensed anime game)
  • Super Monkey Ball Banana Rumble - (Looks cool. I'll probably get this.)
  • World of Goo 2 - (I'm interested, but previously announced. Probably should have saved for an Indie World.)
  • Fantasy Life i - (Previously announced. Wait and see for me.)
  • Another Crab's Treasure - (Previously announced in an Indie World. Might be good.)
  • Penny's Big Breakaway - (Previously announced, but shadow drop is cool. I'm interested, but I'll probably wait for physical or sale.)
  • Suika Game Multiplayer DLC - (Fun game, but multiplayer should have been a free update. Could have been in an Indie World.)
  • Pepper Grinder - (Previously announced in an Indie World. Looking forward to trying the demo.)
  • Pocket Card Jockey - (3DS game was fun. Will probably get it on sale at some point. Would have qualified for Indie World.)
  • Snufkin - (Previously announced. Not my kinda game. Probably should have been in an Indie World.)
  • Tales of Kenzeru - (Previously announced. Looks neat. Probably should have been in an Indie World.)
  • Demon Slayer - (Previously announced licensed anime Mario Party.)
  • Kingdom Come Deliverance - (Previously announced. Western RPGs aren't my thing. And the port is probably gonna be bad.)
  • Contra - (Previously announced. Looking forward to trying the demo.)
  • Pentiment - (The least exciting Xbox game going multi-plat. Does absolutely nothing for me.)
  • Rare NSO - (Only game that looks interesting to me is Blast Corps, but I don't pay for the expansion pack. So nothing for me.)
  • Endless Ocean - (Booooring. The worst closer to a Direct ever.)
Looking back at everything objectively, I'm kinda leaning towards a 1/5 now (but I already voted). I just gave it a 2/5 cause there were a couple things that were new and interesting. The lack of any Square Enix presense really surprised me. I think DQ III HD2D or FFT remaster would have helped it really get a solid 2/5.

Man, 2024 is looking dire for Switch; the Switch 2 delay stings even more now. I really wonder what's the point of an Indie World in March when this was basically 33% an Indie World already? At this rate, Switch 1 support outside of indies is basically gonna die the moment Switch 2 drops.

Wow, I went in with low expectations, but this didn't even meet those. I'd give it a 2/5, which puts it below even the Sept 2023 Direct for me.

Full breakdown:
  • Grounded - (The 2nd least exciting Xbox game going multi-plat. And the port doesn't look all that great from the trailer.)
  • Ender Magnolia - (Sweet! Though this probably would have landed better in an Indie World.)
  • Arranger - (Interesting. Probably should have saved for an Indie World though.)
  • Unicorn Overloard - (Looks awesome, but previously announced. Looking forward to playing the demo.)
  • Monster Hunter Stories - (3DS games are still too recent for me to get hyped for remasters. Wait for a sale.)
  • Epic Mickey - (I remember this game wasn't even received all that well on Wii...)
  • SMT V: V (New content looks cool, but I feel burned as an early adopter. Will wait for $30 Black Friday sale.)
  • Star Wars Battlefront - (Might check these out)
  • South Park - (Previously announced licensed westaboo game)
    Sword Art Online - (Licensed anime game)
  • Gundam Breaker 4 - (Licensed anime game)
  • Super Monkey Ball Banana Rumble - (Looks cool. I'll probably get this.)
  • World of Goo 2 - (I'm interested, but previously announced. Probably should have saved for an Indie World.)
  • Fantasy Life i - (Previously announced. Wait and see for me.)
  • Another Crab's Treasure - (Previously announced in an Indie World. Might be good.)
  • Penny's Big Breakaway - (Previously announced, but shadow drop is cool. I'm interested, but I'll probably wait for physical or sale.)
  • Suika Game Multiplayer DLC - (Fun game, but multiplayer should have been a free update. Could have been in an Indie World.)
  • Pepper Grinder - (Previously announced in an Indie World. Looking forward to trying the demo.)
  • Pocket Card Jockey - (3DS game was fun. Will probably get it on sale at some point. Would have qualified for Indie World.)
  • Snufkin - (Previously announced. Not my kinda game. Probably should have been in an Indie World.)
  • Tales of Kenzeru - (Previously announced. Looks neat. Probably should have been in an Indie World.)
  • Demon Slayer - (Previously announced licensed anime Mario Party.)
  • Kingdom Come Deliverance - (Previously announced. Western RPGs aren't my thing. And the port is probably gonna be bad.)
  • Contra - (Previously announced. Looking forward to trying the demo.)
  • Pentiment - (The least exciting Xbox game going multi-plat. Does absolutely nothing for me.)
  • Rare NSO - (Only game that looks interesting to me is Blast Corps, but I don't pay for the expansion pack. So nothing for me.)
  • Endless Ocean - (Booooring. The worst closer to a Direct ever.)
Looking back at everything objectively, I'm kinda leaning towards a 1/5 now (but I already voted). I just gave it a 2/5 cause there were a couple things that were new and interesting. The lack of any Square Enix presense really surprised me. I think DQ III HD2D or FFT remaster would have helped it really get a solid 2/5.

Man, 2024 is looking dire for Switch; the Switch 2 delay stings even more now. I really wonder what's the point of an Indie World in March when this was basically 33% an Indie World already? At this rate, Switch 1 support outside of indies is basically gonna die the moment Switch 2 drops.
So, there's several games you're interested in, and you rate the presentation a 1.

Ok. And you think this year is dire. Did you have a Wii U?

I gave it a 2. I thought it had some decent stuff though. Like I see some people saying it felt like an Indie World but I honestly believe quite a few things would fit fine in a General. The Xbox games, EO, Epic Mickey remake, SMT, Monkey Ball, Battlefront Collection, Penny’s shadow drop, etc. So it was a totally fair partner direct.

The only reason I gave it a 2 and not a 3 is because while I think it’s a solid lineup for a partner it didn’t personally make me excited. Sometimes people are more negative over directs I like because it’s all subjective. Decent lineup, but if I’m rating for my personal taste it’s a 2, but if I was stepping back I think objectively it could be a 3 with the context of it being a partner.

So, there's several games you're interested in, and you rate the presentation a 1.

Ok. And you think this year is dire. Did you have a Wii U?
I mean, that's why I was kinda flip-flopping between a 1 and a 2. Here's the thing though, most of the games I'm interested in are things that were previously announced. I really weight my Direct scores heavily based on new content. In terms of actual new announcements, the most exciting for me were Ender Magnolia and Super Monkey Ball. And no offense to those games, but they aren't really heavy hitters, you can't anchor a show around them. SMT V: V is normally something that could be an anchor, but I just feel like Atlus screwed me as an early adopter. The Partner Showcase from June 2022 beat the shit out of this one.

And yes I had a Wii U. But it's apples and oranges cause 3rd parties never really got on board with the system. So you knew not to expect them. Whereas this really feels like a fall from grace for the Switch. And at least in the Wii U days, we got Xenoblade X, Tokyo Mirage Sessions, Star Fox Zero, Pokken Tournament, Twilight Princess HD, and Color Splash on the 1st party side in that final year. That's way better than what Nintendo 1st party has lined up for 2024 on Switch where it's all remasters/remakes and "cozy" Peach game.

Probably a 2 "objectively" since there wasn't much here for me but SMTVV ended up being more interesting than I was expecting and this Unicorn Overlord demo is fire so I'll give it a 3

No way people are dooming over this year, you all were around for the Wii U right? The Wii U either had a major drought, slew of terrible games, or both every year it was out. Now at least we have some things to look forward to, and we just came off an insane year with like 8 awesome exclusives, AND we’re getting a new console next year!

I mean, that's why I was kinda flip-flopping between a 1 and a 2. Here's the thing though, most of the games I'm interested in are things that were previously announced. I really weight my Direct scores heavily based on new content. In terms of actual new announcements, the most exciting for me were Ender Magnolia and Super Monkey Ball. And no offense to those games, but they aren't really heavy hitters, you can't anchor a show around them. SMT V: V is normally something that could be an anchor, but I just feel like Atlus screwed me as an early adopter. The Partner Showcase from June 2022 beat the shit out of this one.

And yes I had a Wii U. But it's apples and oranges cause 3rd parties never really got on board with the system. So you knew not to expect them. Whereas this really feels like a fall from grace for the Switch. And at least in the Wii U days, we got Xenoblade X, Tokyo Mirage Sessions, Star Fox Zero, Pokken Tournament, Twilight Princess HD, and Color Splash on the 1st party side in that final year. That's way better than what Nintendo 1st party has lined up for 2024 on Switch where it's all remasters/remakes and "cozy" Peach game.
To be fair, X came out in 2015. I agree that this year's lineup doesn't look great yet, but the big direct is supposedly in April. I am not worried about this year, yet. If by the end of the year this is the lineup then I agree, it is bad compared to wii u's final year (from a 1st party perspective). I do think 3rd party support is so much better that it is still easier to stomach for me.

Penny's Big Breakaway, Pentiment (played it on Steam and it's amazing play it), the Rare NSO games, Battlefront ports (surprised they weren't ported already), Pepper Grinder, and the Aggro Crab games look neat and will be on my wishlist. Right smack dab in the middle. Some cool games and that's all I want.

To be fair, X came out in 2015. I agree that this year's lineup doesn't look great yet, but the big direct is supposedly in April. I am not worried about this year, yet. If by the end of the year this is the lineup then I agree, it is bad compared to wii u's final year (from a 1st party perspective). I do think 3rd party support is so much better that it is still easier to stomach for me.
Fair enough, I forgot that since I played Xenoblade X heavily right up until the release date of the Switch. But even taking that out, I'd still take the Wii U's final year 1st party lineup over the Switch's (known) final year 1st party lineup. Though that could change if we get FE4R and MP4 this year.

There's certainly still lots of great 3rd party games on Switch this year, but I absolutely stand by my statement that this was the worst Direct in recent memory.

Fair enough, I forgot that since I played Xenoblade X heavily right up until the release date of the Switch. But even taking that out, I'd still take the Wii U's final year 1st party lineup over the Switch's (known) final year 1st party lineup. Though that could change if we get FE4R and MP4 this year.

There's certainly still lots of great 3rd party games on Switch this year, but I absolutely stand by my statement that this was the worst Direct in recent memory.
Yea, I think I am ultimately in agreement with your assessment on the direct. I enjoyed the direct a decent amount only because my backlog is so long that I don't care if I have much to play in the next few months. I also had really low expectations because of the rumors about switch 2. I actually hope to play X during this lull in the release schedule. Bought years ago but never got around to it. I hope that some games you like release this year, though. (I am hoping for prime 4. I also need to get into Fire Emblem, but I don't know where to start.)

Nintendo has spent the better part of two years releasing mega-tons and some of the Switch's biggest and/or most anticipated games while trying to prepare for a huge launch on the next system where they can't just easily rely on porting games if it's back compat like it absolutely seems to be. It's just not a comparable situation when the Wii U had like.... one decent year of content total. Relatively few things that are huge should be expected in the final year.

The end of the Wii U's life was also marked by like absolute stinkers left and right too, so I'll take higher quality remakes and niche cozy games over watching franchises I like get butchered (and while you may love Star Fox Zero, I absolutely put it up in this category). It also feels weird to put Twilight Princess HD on a pedestal in one breath and immediately come down hard on remakes in the next. As much as I love Twilight Princess, it's one of the weaker HD ports Nintendo has done from a changes perspective. Whereas stuff like Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door and especially something like Another Code are really substantial upgrades. Just feels a little like looking back with rose tinted glasses at a time that was really rough, and of those you mentioned, Xenoblade Chronicles X was the only real standout game and it was less Nintendo trying to keep something in reserve and more a game that had just been pushed back repeatedly (and is really stretching the line for a "final year" when it came out almost 16 months before the Switch came out).

Yea, I think I am ultimately in agreement with your assessment on the direct. I enjoyed the direct a decent amount only because my backlog is so long that I don't care if I have much to play in the next few months. I also had really low expectations because of the rumors about switch 2. I actually hope to play X during this lull in the release schedule. Bought years ago but never got around to it. I hope that some games you like release this year, though. (I am hoping for prime 4. I also need to get into Fire Emblem, but I don't know where to start.)
Yeah, I have a large backlog, so I'll certainly have games to play.

X is a good choice, it'll definitely keep you occupied for the year! I was thinking I might pick it up again soon before the online elements shutdown in April. I never got around to the online superbosses when I played it originally cause Switch and BotW abruptly ended my post-game activities lol.

Fire Emblem's great, my favorite SRPG franchise! If you're looking for an entry point on Switch you have three solid options: Three Houses, Engage, and the GBA Fire Emblem on NSO.

Three Houses and Engage both have all the modern QoL features the series has added over the years to help ease in new players (optional permadeath, rewind mechanics, and free grinding opportunities). Between those two, if a good, serious story is important to you, go with Three Houses. Though Three Houses has more downtime between the battles to do stuff around the monastary, so if that sounds boring to you and you just wanna get to the battles, go with Engage.

GBA Fire Emblem was designed with new players in mind (as the 1st game to be released outside Japan). The first 10 or so chapters are very simple and ease you into the mechanics slowly. Though it has mandatory permadeath and no free grinding opportunities, so it's probably a little harder than the others. While the game doesn't have its own built-in rewind mechanics, you have access to the more broken emulator rewind and save states, so you can lean on those if you need to. This game has among the most simple character customization in the series, so if you want a more fast-paced experience it's a good option.

If you have a 3DS, Awakening is also a solid entry point. It has optional permadeath and free grinding opportunities, but no rewind mechanic (which wasn't introduced till Echoes).

I thought this was a great show and that I’m walking away with nine things I was excited/interested in with only a 23 minute runtime is excellent.

The big three for me were Ender Magnolia, Star Wars Battlefront Collection, and World of Goo 2. Ender Lilies made my top ten the year it came out and I still think about it very fondly. This was such a wonderful 10/10 left field announcement for me as I didn’t think the sequel was any time soon, so it was easily my favorite game of the show. I adored the first two Battlefront games and spent so much time with them so bringing those back is awesome. World of Goo was my favorite WiiWare game so the sequel coming out so soon is super rad (I thought it’d be right at the end of the year based on TGAs).

Beyond that, planning to pick up Penny and Pepper Grinder so definitely excited for them too. Fantasy Life i I remain quite intrigued by, but darn October :/ I still need to play Suika, but the DLC looks fun. Finally, don’t know if I’ll get them, but I’m interested in both Pocket Card Jockey and Endless Ocean.

I’m giving this a four out of five ultimately. Five definite pick ups and three of which I’m super excited for. Great show! If we all got Mother 3 this would have been a 6/5 lol

Nintendo has spent the better part of two years releasing mega-tons and some of the Switch's biggest and/or most anticipated games while trying to prepare for a huge launch on the next system where they can't just easily rely on porting games if it's back compat like it absolutely seems to be. It's just not a comparable situation when the Wii U had like.... one decent year of content total. Relatively few things that are huge should be expected in the final year.

The end of the Wii U's life was also marked by like absolute stinkers left and right too, so I'll take higher quality remakes and niche cozy games over watching franchises I like get butchered (and while you may love Star Fox Zero, I absolutely put it up in this category). It also feels weird to put Twilight Princess HD on a pedestal in one breath and immediately come down hard on remakes in the next. As much as I love Twilight Princess, it's one of the weaker HD ports Nintendo has done from a changes perspective. Whereas stuff like Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door and especially something like Another Code are really substantial upgrades. Just feels a little like looking back with rose tinted glasses at a time that was really rough, and of those you mentioned, Xenoblade Chronicles X was the only real standout game and it was less Nintendo trying to keep something in reserve and more a game that had just been pushed back repeatedly (and is really stretching the line for a "final year" when it came out almost 16 months before the Switch came out).
I'm not putting Twilight Princess HD on a pedestal. That's just one remaster in the final year compared to 4 on the Switch (Another Code, Mario vs. DK, Luigi's Mansion 2, TTYD). The point is Nintendo is leaning more on remasters for the final year of Switch than they did for the final year of Wii U.

Here's how I break it down (and I'll take Xenoblade X out of the equation to keep it fair):
  • Star Fox Zero > Princes Peach Showtime
    • Yes, I'll take a disappointing Star Fox over a Peach game designed for little kids. (Not trying to offend with that statement. Peach was very clearly designed with kids in mind to act as an entry point to the world of video games. Some adults may get enjoyment out of it "for cozy vibes," but I do not. This game would put me to sleep.)
  • Color Splash > TTYD
    • Not in terms of raw Metacritic. Color Splash may not be as good a TTYD, but it was still enjoyable and, importantly new. I've already played TTYD. But if you haven't, fair enough, I can see why you'd give the win to TTYD.
  • Pokken Tournament > Another Code
    • These games have nothing to do with each other, Pokken just appeals to me more. Also Another Code is a remake/remaster.
  • Tokyo Mirage Sessions > Mario vs. DK
    • These games have nothing to do with each other, TMS just appeals to me more. Also Mario vs. DK is a remake.
  • Twilight Princess HD = Luigi's Mansion 2 HD
    • Both good games with fairly basic remasters.

I was hoping for a Unicorn Overlord demo so I got that. REYNATIS from the JP direct looked pretty cool so I may import that. Gundam Breaker 4 is a pick up for sure. Going under "hmm..." categories for me is SMT V Vengeance and Ender Magnolia.

Vengeance is a maybe because I kinda don't want drop full price on it again (I'm actually yet to buy an Atlus re-release, tho sometimes I get a re-released version without playing the original). I got really excited when I was reading that it was a new "80 hour game" but lost some hype when it was actually "the Vengeance content starts halfway through the original plot". That all said I did really enjoy the OG game, especially the exploration, and I like that they admitted the story was weak and they wanted to do better, so, we'll see.

Ender Magnolia is probably a 50% off sale pickup maybe. I played Ender Lilies and consider it a 6.5/10 or so (that's not the IGN scale don't worry, I'm saying it's slightly above average). It would depend on how much this is an improvement, but the trailer overall looked very familiar, so I'll probably just wait on it.

Overall I got 3 possible pickups and 2 maybes. For a 20 something minute Direct I think that's pretty good.

I gave it a solid 3 out of 5. Nothing much new, but there were a few things that stood out to me like SMTV: Vengeance, Pocket Card Jockey, Fantasy Life i, Monster Hunter Stories, and demos for Unicorn Overlord and Contra.

I’d give today’s Nintendo Direct Partner Showcase 4 stars out of 5…

I think Pyoro’s leaks can definitely ruin some of the bigger surprises (i.e. SMTV:V and Endless Ocean), but I think Nintendo also did a relatively good job tempering expectations here with this one.

I’m already on the second world of Penny’s Big Breakaway, and haven’t even started Pocket Card Jockey: Ride On! yet. This was after I spent half of last night playing Balatro and staying up longer than I should have… And I’ve heard glowing things about Pentiment, so you can bet I’ll be downloading that tomorrow.

I think when people will look back at this Partner Showcase they’ll see a good breadth of genres and games of all budgets. But most importantly, I think most of what we got here today looks to be QUALITY, and I’d love to back that up by playing a Fantasy Critic of some sort. People are completely missing out by dismissing smaller games like Ender Magnolias, Arranger, Pepper Grinder, Suika Game multiplayer, etc. simply because they weren’t the Metroid Prime 4s or Dragon Quest IIIs or Hollow Knights that people have been wanting updates on for years… Their loss…

As much as i hate ruining the fun for others, i just can't this time.
My expectations were at rock bottom and i was still let down.

What i wanted: Monster Hunter Classic Collection or the bare minimum literally just one lazy HD port of any of the older MH games.

What i got: Monster Hunter Stories Remaster. The one game in the franchise i have zero interest in playing because i do not like the concept of turn based RPGs where you just stand there and take hits or watch your characters do the attacks with no way to manipulate their effectiveness or avoiding damage.

The only game i am mildly interested in getting is Star Wars Battlefront 1+2 on Switch, because i no longer have the PS2 versions of those games and want to play the campaign of SW:BF2 online with my brother, that is if it's even possible at all since on the PC Steam version it is single player only, which sucks...

The biggest middle finger though definitely was when the Rare logo showed up. I was like "Hey, they're finally giving us DK64 or Banjo-Tooie!" then Blast Corps got shown and i never facepalmed this hard. I mean, i did enjoy it back then on my N64 and i still have the original cartridge, but c'mon when you set up such high expections by putting the Rare logo there you can't just drip-feed your audience with this niche game alone. They should've put in DK64 or Banjo-Tooie there as well. This isn't making the Switch Online expansion pack any more appetizing for me.

If i could, i would've rated it 0 stars, so 1 star it is then.

Last edited:
This was probably the best partner direct I've seen in a long time. I'd argue it was even more interesting than the last general direct despite that one obviously having the bigger announcements.

As much as i hate ruining the fun for others, i just can't this time.
My expectations were at rock bottom and i was still let down.

What i wanted: Monster Hunter Classic Collection or the bare minimum literally just one lazy HD port of any of the older MH games.

What i got: Monster Hunter Stories Remaster. The one game in the franchise i have zero interest in playing because i do not like the concept of turn based RPGs where you just stand there and take hits or watch your characters do the attacks with no way to manipulate their effectiveness or avoiding damage.

The only game i am mildly interested in getting is Star Wars Battlefront 1+2 on Switch, because i no longer have the PS2 versions of those games and want to play the campaign of SW:BF2 online with my brother, that is if it's even possible at all since on the PC Steam version it is single player only, which sucks...

The biggest middle finger though definitely was when the Rare logo showed up. I was like "Hey, they're finally giving us DK64 or Banjo-Tooie!" then Blast Corps got shown and i never facepalmed this hard. I mean, i did enjoy it back then on my N64 and i still have the original cartridge, but c'mon when you set up such high expections by putting the Rare logo there you can't just drip-feed your audience with this niche game alone. They should've put in DK64 or Banjo-Tooie there as well. This isn't making the Switch Online expansion pack any more appetizing for m
It seems.. expectations were not at rock bottom LOL

lol

anyway, as a Partner it was ok ish: bunch of minor projects focused on the next couple of months. As a Direct it was a bad one. Definitely, a bad one. And what makes things worse is that if you look at the ranking, the first Directs of 2022 and 2023 is always great. So you take the Switch 2 delay and add this lackluster event things do not look good.

Tbf, I'm kinda surprised basically no one is talking about Arranger? I really, really liked it!

For me, it's a solid 3,5/5. I think it was constantly nice - some announcements that I did not really care too much, others that I was surprised about! I think being in the dark regarding leaks paid off.

lol

anyway, as a Partner it was ok ish: bunch of minor projects focused on the next couple of months. As a Direct it was a bad one. Definitely, a bad one. And what makes things worse is that if you look at the ranking, the first Directs of 2022 and 2023 is always great. So you take the Switch 2 delay and add this lackluster event things do not look good.
Nintendo can still surprise us. No one predicted Mario Wonder in Feb of last year to release later in 2023. I think mid June is where things start falling in place if this year will look bland or not. The signs are clear that last years A class lineup will carry Nintendo this year.

Nintendo can still surprise us. No one predicted Mario Wonder in Feb of last year to release later in 2023. I think mid June is where things start falling in place if this year will look bland or not. The signs are clear that last years A class lineup will carry Nintendo this year.
I know, I gave it a 3 out of 5.
I think Metroid Prime 4 will be the big Nintendo title this year and close Switch life cycle the best way possible.

Crab Souls and Endless Ocean both mean my reaction to the direct was "Well that's two games I'll want" which is my reaction to pretty much every single Direct that has ever happened, so I can't really say it was a bad direct.

Capcom is a partner so going into this Direct expecting at least something MH related (since it's MH's 20th anniversary) and nothing else is what i consider rock bottom expectations. Having no expections whatsoever is something else entirely... :/

9/10, I gave it 5*

There were a lot of games for all kind of people imo, many multiplayer games and a lot of surprises.
The direct was evenly spread and kept showing things that impressed and surprised.
This Partner direct was better than some Full Directs!

Back
Top Bottom