• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion R(h)ate the Direct (February 2024 Partners Edition) - Nintendo Direct Review Thread™ - FINAL RESULTS ARE IN

r(h)ate the Direct

• 1 star

Votes: 40 9.0%
  • 2 stars

Votes: 87 19.5%
  • 3 stars

Votes: 159 35.7%
  • 4 stars

Votes: 141 31.6%
  • 5 stars

Votes: 19 4.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Surprisingly consistent and interesting

It lacks the highs of a direct with Nintendo first party games but the content on offer is varied and quite good.

There is even a section for online multiplayer games.

Very interested in the NSO UPDATE, Endless Ocean, Battlefront and Grounded

3/5

4 stars. Probably the best Partner ? I liked the variety, and there was some STELLAR games in there. Especially the indie games.

And no matter what you think of Endless Ocean, any interesting and unique "dormant" IP from Nintendo making a come back like that should be applauded.

That's a 4 out of 5 to me. Lots of interesting titles that I'll almost certainly pick up in the future. The only thing preventing it from being a 5/5 was the lack of announcements of at least one bigass "miracle" port.

Came out of it wanting a lot more than I was expecting which is all I could ask for

Genuinely happy that Nintendo is putting out a brand new Endless Ocean, nice to see a niche ip get something new instead of a remake or remaster

Not everything was for me, but I think looking at the overall list I give it a 3.5 but I got up so then it is 4 stars. Reasoning is that a console that is almost 8 years on the market still gets exclusives and some solid entrees in certain games, is pretty amazing.

I wanted Monster Hunter and I got it. Unicorn Overlord has a demo, which is also great. SMT V: Vengeance is a welcome addition. Probably getting this on another console though! Unless the Switch-version runs better as well. Plus, there were a lot of other games that piqued my interest.

It was a lot better than expected. I don't know how many game I'll end up buying but there were good announcements and trailers along with a decently sized NSO drop with Killer Instinct. I did give a 4 but I was really feeling a 3.5 lmao.

World of Goo 2, Penny Big Breakaway(releasing today), Grounded(if it even operates at 30fps+), fantasy life, SMT V: Vengeance, Monkey Ball, Pocket Card Jockey, and that drill game. There is an update for suica game which could bring people back to it and a couple demos like Unicorn Overlord. Hell even Endless Ocean looks like it could be a nice game to play in bed. I thought there was a lot of variety even if I don't vibe with some of the games myself like a remaster of that 3ds monster hunter game.

I had super low expectations so I was pleasantly surprised that there was a lot more in this that I liked (honestly thought it was better than the September DIrect)

Battlefront Collection (been waiting for this since the Switch was announced)
New Monkey Ball
Endless Ocean (never played but it looks great)
World of Goo 2
Unicorn Overlord Demo

I'd give it 3/3.5 out of 5, solid considering how low expectation were.

A perfectly serviceable, but not especially memorable Direct. Basically the very example of a 3 star to me.

Penny's Big Breakaway shadow dropped, 2 Xbox exclusives dated on Switch, new Monkey Ball, new Endless Ocean (when even after the leak no one expected more than a remaster), Ender Lilies gets a sequel, Epic Mickey gets a remake (continuing the Wii redemption arc), Shin Megami Tensei V: Vengeance, and a massive return for the Rare legacy library on NSO, continuing the MS is Nintendo's best bud story.

That plus lots of stuff that wasn't a huge surprise, but was fun to look at - Unicorn Overlord, Pepper Grinder got demos, more looks at World of Goo 2 (it's all Wii all the time, bay-bee), Fantasy Life i (which looks fun, but stop showing it to us).

Nothing here was as big as, say Monster Hunter: Rise in terms of AAA 3rd party announcements, but this was about as good a set of third party announcements overall as Switch has had in a long long time, Partner or General Direct. In the 7th year of the console's life.

Wild.

I rated it a 3/5, but for my personal taste, there wasn't a whole lot that stands out to me and I'm not sure if I'll get anything shown here. Looking at it with unbiased eyes though, I'm sure there are things here that are exciting to a lot of people.

2/5 but I was fine with it. It was a partners direct in Switch's last year. I didn't expect anything great.
The new Endless Ocean made me really happy though.

Not much for me tbh, but that's okay. Gonna download the Pepper Grinder demo and will keep an eye out for Penny's Big Breakaway.

Never played Endless Ocean so I really don't know if it would be my thing (I did like Abzu though?), but I'll be keeping that one in mind too.

Something between 3 and 4.

Grounded is a amazing game and feels like a Nintendo game. It will be a good addition to switch library.

Another game that look promising is ENDER MAGNOLIA. I like games like Hollow Knight and that give me the vibes to be a good game in that style.

The third endless Ocean game was a surprise for me, I was expecting a remake, not a entirely new game.

Others games like Arranger, Monkey ball, World of Goo 2, Another Crab's Treasure,
Contra: Operation Galuga, and more make think is closer to 4 than 3.

If indie games are slop than I'm a little piggy, rolling around in the mud, sucking down indie games from a big old trough.
To each their own tastes. It's just that on the switch, being a "quirky cute and chill indie game in which you get to make tons of new friends" isn't really on its own enough to stand out for me.

There's hundreds of those games and it's getting more than a little bit samey (hence slop). Nowadays I kinda prefer something more action-packed from indie games, which doesn't show up that often in directs.

If you went in with low expectations and an open mind, that was bloody great. I've bought two games (+ one DLC) already and am patiently waiting to pre-order a bunch more. Gutted I've had to go back to work because there's so much cool stuff just dropping left, right and centre.

I just saw that a new Power Pros(eBaseball Jikkyou PawaPuro Yakyuu) game was announced in the Japanese direct and Konami continues to not give us baseball fans an English version so now I'm bitter about the direct. I take back my 4 star rating lol.

I didn't watch it so I don't know if I should rate it but this legit sounds like it had better third party announcements than most directs, lmao

I didn't watch it live, but caught what was announced and 1/5, absolutely nothing for me, but I did expect that to be fair.

I gave it a 2

I don't think it really deserves a 1 considering it was a Partner but there's also just flat out nothing in it i'm interested in so I can't give it any higher than that

I must have low expectations but 4 stars.

Ender Lilies sequel
Penny's big break away
Pentiment
Endless Ocean
Card Jockey
Super Monkey Ball
Unicorn Overlord
Rare games on NSO
Monster Hunter Stories
Epic Mickey remake
Etc.

Sure no Hi Fi Rush or first party but we knew there weren't going to be any first party for over a week now.

To each their own tastes. It's just that on the switch, being a "quirky cute and chill indie game in which you get to make tons of new friends" isn't really on its own enough to stand out for me.

There's hundreds of those games and it's getting more than a little bit samey (hence slop). Nowadays I kinda prefer something more action-packed from indie games, which doesn't show up that often in directs.
Ender Magnolia, Penny's Big Breakaway, Another Crab's Treasure, and Pepper Grinder were all indie action games. There were more indie action games showcased than other genres this time around.

Also the word "quirky" as a derogatory term is banned from here on out. It doesn't mean anything.

Yeah, I'm sensitive about this stuff, but the identity of indie hater is depressingly common and I have never been able to understand it, no matter how much I stretch my tiny little brain.

4/5, quite a lot of stuff I'm interested in like Endless Ocean and Super Monkey Ball.

Out of all the third-party announcements in past Directs, this one is actually relatively pretty good as well. I'm quite happy with what we've gotten.

Also Endless Ocean showing up to redefine what a Partner Showcase could be was very funny. What's that about.

better than expected. I am probably buying two or three games from the trailer, but good stuff nonetheless.

Being perfectly fair, and trying to put my obvious Gundam/mecha bias aside? A solid 3.

Monkey Ball, classic Star Wars Battle Front, an improved SMTV, Monster Hunter Stories gets another chance (even if it's not the MH remaster I wanted most), and of course, Gundam Breaker 4. This has been better for me than most Directs.

4/5, quite a lot of stuff I'm interested in like Endless Ocean and Super Monkey Ball.

Out of all the third-party announcements in past Directs, this one is actually relatively pretty good as well. I'm quite happy with what we've gotten.

Also Endless Ocean showing up to redefine what a Partner Showcase could be was very funny. What's that about.
i wonder if this was a way to let Endless Ocean be an actual star of a show and get a little more clout?

cause even all of us diehard EO fans know it would absolutely get buried like one of your typical farming sims in a general direct that featured like Metroid Prime Pinball Remastered, Hyrule Warriors 3 or Mario Teaches Baseball... etc

I have the impression that all these weird remakes are the way Nintendo found to start unifying their library and bring them all to the current model, linked to each user's account.

and I kinda like it.

4/5!

Factoring in that Leaks hurt surprise factor, factoring in this is a Partner Direct, factoring in games that are likely to reach into my wallet:

• SMTV: Vengeance (full new campaign, loads of new content and QOL adjustments)!
  • Unicorn Overlord (w/ shadow-drop demo)!
  • Pentiment (and theres gonna be a physical)!

and finally how many games I found intriguing in some fashion:

• Grounded (Xbox studios joint)
  • Contra (Wayforward-developed)
  • Epic Mickey (remade!)
  • Endless Ocean (sequel not remaster!)
  • Monkey Ball (new title)
  • Moar Rareware
  • Penny's Big Breakaway (Sonic Mania devs)
  • Pocket Jockey (Gamefreak should make more non-Pokemon games!)

Objectively, a solid Direct (y)

Managing your own expectations is the key, I guess.

Not many things that interest me a ton tbh, but plenty of games get a "moderate interest" from me: Monster Hunter Stories, Enter Lilies sequel, Unicorn, SMTV.

Best thing was, by far, the NSO Rare drop.

They needed a stronger closer than Endless Ocean, but I guess I get it. I was quite happy with many of the announcements personally, but it's mostly because I get great satisfaction every time I can bring an old game from my old libraries forward to Switch.

battlefront ports confirmed 15/10 give me that good wrist rockets action (also wheres the battlefront thread at I had to look at the purple site to find out we were getting battlefront ports 😭)

It was a solid 3/5 for me and better than I expected:
  • Star Wars Battlefront was a great surprise and totally unexpected.
  • Monster Hunter Stories is a nice get and from what they show it looked great.
  • The Penny's platformer looked cool and I might get it eventually.
  • The Disney game is great. I have never heard of it but I am interested.
The closed was weak in my opinion, and shame that neither Square Enix nor Hi-Fi Rush was there.

Quoted by: Ab
  • World of goo 2
  • MH Stories HD
  • Endless Ocean

For my taste was great. Really cool to see epic Mickey again, Penny and Pentiment were excellent shadow drop.

A little sad for endless ocean leaks, could’ve been a really nice surprise.

4 stars, probably my favorite partner showcase.

Back
Top Bottom