• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion R(h)ate the Direct (06/28 Edition) - Poll closed: this Direct was a 3,598360655737705 stars Direct according to this beautiful place

from 1 to 5 stars - R(h)ate the Direct 06/28 Edition

• 1 Star

Votes: 7 1.9%
  • 2 Stars

Votes: 22 6.0%
  • 3 Stars

Votes: 126 34.4%
  • 4 Stars

Votes: 167 45.6%
  • 5 Stars

Votes: 44 12.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
4/5, would've maybe been a 5/5 if the stinger wasn't kinda just a delayed announcement of something we probably should've gotten two weeks ago (still super hype though)

Really strong showcase in general though, lots of great gets for the system and some interesting looks at upcoming titles.

Solid Direct in what type of third party support to expect

4*. A bit of games for everyone a couple nice surprises (Persona 5R making its switch debut), Battle Network Collection, Neir Automata. Was hoping a bit for a new Nintendo collab game to show besides M+R but it was a great Partners Showcase

3 stars, that it's the maximum rating that I give for any presentation in this no-E3.

Taking it as what it is, a third party only, it's a 5 stars for me.
Would have been a direct for the ages if it had first party games too, too bad E3 was cancelled, Nintendo easily would have won it with this + first party news in their regular e3 direct lol

A 5 star partner showcase easily. If you sprinkled two newly announced first party games and another Wii U port it would’ve been a 5 star general direct as well.

5 star for me, excellently paced, good variety of announcements, lots of cool stuff coming to Switch be it new games, new collections/remasters, or late ports. This was 25 minutes with the most filler thing being a train game that looks very good for it's niche audience.

3 stars, solid but a lot of it I've played already in some form. Probably an easy 4/5 if I was a Switch only owner though.

3 stars for me, but that's not a bad thing - some really interesting looking games in there (Lorelei and the Laser Eyes, Blanc, Harvestella), but I'm just not fussed by the games they gave the most time to (MH + Persona), and having Nier:Automata portable isn't that much of anything for me.

Easily their best Partner Showcase event at the very least.

I'd give it a 2/5. As I said in the thread:

Gotta be honest, not much here I found exciting. Not a terrible Direct but not a good one. Super Bomberman R2 is a neat announcement. Seemed inevitable that we'd see something like that eventually. That Harvestella game could be neat. I think those were the only two "brand new game" announcements I had any interest in, and I'm not particularly hyped for either. The lead-in being yet another Monster Hunter showing and the finale being Persona ports sorta sets the tone for this Direct overall, I think. I don't think it's even one of the better Partner Directs honestly.

Maybe if I was a Persona fan I'd have been more excited. There just wasn't a lot there. The Mega Man collection was probably the best announcement.

3/5. There were some good games in there, but I’ve already played quite a few of the big ports and some of the others just don’t interest me at all. Probably the best-case scenario for a partner mini type of thing though.

2ish I guess

nice to see mario+rabbids get a release date even if it was known it would be shown here+tomorrow already and harvestella seems like it could be interesting?

but the fact that they opened on a game releasing in 2 days and closed on some old ports really says it all as far as how it was overall

Portal shadow drop, all three Persona games, Dragon Quest Treasures out this year, and Nier are 5/5 alone. Almost makes me wish I canceled my Steam Deck.

It was a good pace with a nice mixture of ports (some major), new stuff (some exclusive), and pleasing updates (available now/demo with save transfer).

So I gave it a 4. From a third party perspective, 2022 might be the best year the Switch has ever had.

Edit: this rating is with the context of it being a partner direct. I don't see the point of the comparing it to a general.

Last edited:
I give it 3 stars. That's not bad though, I'm grading on a scale in comparison to other directs/shows. Tactics Ogre being a no-show was kind of a decently big downer for me since it was what I was most interested in going into this. It didn't need it to be great, but nothing they showed reached the level that would have.

Still, lots of cool little announcements and things I appreciate. Ending with Persona was a great move.

It was fine. Nothing unexpected. Pretty much all the big announcements leaked. Still hate the narrator though

Voted 2/5. Not a whole lot there for me, but Battle Network Collection is pretty sweet, and I did like the look of Blanc. Mainly happy for others finally getting their Persona Switch dreams fulfilled!

New game announcements:

Super Bomberman R 2
PAC-MAN WORLD Re-Pac
Blanc
Little Noah: Scion of Paradise
DORAEMON STORY OF SEASONS: Friends of Great Kingdom
HARVESTELLA

Harvestella looks neat but I doubt I'll play it. Not at all interested in the rest. The Mario+Rabbids segment was pretty weak. They probably saved the good stuff for tomorrow.

On the scale of all Directs, it's a 2/5. For Partner showcase maybe 3/5.

A solid 3.5 from me. I expected a decent show, but got more than that!

Harvestella and Lorelei were my games of the show, both looks amazing, and definitely on my radar now. The cute sketchbook game had amazing graphics, but don't know much about the gameplay. The Legend of Wright looks cool albeit a bit messy. Portal shadowdrop was a pleasant surprise, and add Persona and M+R onto the mix, and you've got a good showcase. (EDIT: And Automata as well!)

Definitely by far the best Partner, and up there with the best Indie Worlds in terms of variation, pacing and quality, if you ask me.

Solid announcements. I gave it a 4/5, trying to judge it for what it is -- a third party showcase. In the end, these things always come down to personal preferences, and I thought there were some cool things there. My highlights were M+R, Harvestella, Battle Network, and Persona.

I’m gonna be the guy who rates it one star. The only thing interesting to me was Monkey Island, and we already knew that was coming to consoles. Was really hoping for Silksong, Sea of Stars, or FF Pixel Remasters (Or anything Final Fantasy). Sorry!

4/5, would've maybe been a 5/5 if the stinger wasn't kinda just a delayed announcement of something we probably should've gotten two weeks ago (still super hype though)

Really strong showcase in general though, lots of great gets for the system and some interesting looks at upcoming titles.
THis is me that being the last big announcement was hype deflating

I'd give it a 4. Another Doraemon Story of Seasons, Harvestella looks fantastic, Persona games coming to Switch. There was some other stuff that I was somewhat interested in, but those are the big ones for me.

4/5 It was pretty good for me. Interested in Nier Automata, Persona 5 and maybe Harvstella. I'm anticipating Bayonetta 3 to release in October as well (not sure if I should any longer), so who knows how I'm going to find the time to play everything. Knowing myself, though, I'll probably still be playing Xenoblade 3.

Seems like the devs from the west are on some fuck the switch type shit. I am assuming they are lock and loaded for the 4K upgrade/revision/successor. 🤷🏾‍♂️

Easily a 4/5 for me. DQ, Persona, Nier, Pacman, Harvestella, and Laser Eyes are games I either already love and will play again or are games I cannot wait to try for the first time.

Like, much as I want to disparage it simply for bearing that godawful Partner Showcase branding and being as mediocre as it possibly could have been to me outside of a Portal shadow drop, I have to give credit to the games that many folks have been asking for and are excited to play before long.

5/10 if I'm being honest, bumped up to a 3/5 out of generosity but I'm not allowing myself to get hyped for a July Direct and have just accepted Nintendo has taken me for the chump I am.

It was a low 2/5 personally speaking. Not necessarily bad or anything, just nothing that I found super exciting compared to other Directs. Solid showcase to fill out the schedule, just lacking in new announcements I'm hyped for. The two biggest ones, Live A Live and Sunbreak, were already shown before.

3 stars from me, some decent announcements but nothing I would want to rush out and buy day one. Also, it really lacked some big AAA third party games, things like Call of Duty, the rumoured Batman games even something like Mass Effect Trilogy would have been great to see. Why has Switch not gotten many PS3/X360 era games for instance? Lots of those would be very welcome.

I am concerned that the gulf in power is now getting further and further that we’ll see less and less ‘wonder ports’ on Switch until a new version arrives.

For me It's a 2 but if I were to look at it from a non-biased view it's probably a 3/5.

There were a couple games that were interesting but I'm leaning towards them being very blah like Harvestella.

Not that much to get excited about for me but maybe Nier automata being available in a portable form will finally get me to play it

2.5/5

In the context of it being a partner direct, it’s about as good as I could have hoped for.

I thought it was good.

Like, they finally defeated the Persona 5 port begging community after 5 years of passionate wailing and gnashing of teeth.... that has to count for something right?

Let that sink in for a moment.

You are never going to see the Persona 5 believers versus the Persona 5 poo-pooers attacking each other for pages on end in a Direct speculation thread ever again.

That tradition is over. Gone. Kaputz.

That plus Pac-World, Harvestella, and Blanc... I'd give it a 3.5-4 out of 5 probably.

It needed more Final Fantasy 9 and GoldenEye, but that has been every presentation this year so far. Ah well maybe next time.

Back
Top Bottom