• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Portal: Companion Collection (1+2) announced for Nintendo Switch (UPDATE: available now!)

Super random but since its one of my favorite series I'll buy it for sure just to support the game and also replay both gmes
found the "to support the game" kinda funny... its a huge sucessfull series for a small company called Valve. If there where ideas and the will for a sequell, they would have done it. If there is a series where supporting it kinda feels pointless, its this one.

On the other hand, "replay both games" IS a good reason =D

If you wait, 0%. If you buy it now, 100% - based on how my luck goes.
Lol, of course. =P I guess it’s hard to say because Valve hasn’t put out a physical game on consoles since The Orange Box, have they?

Well, I guess I may as well wait for a sale before even considering getting the digital version, and if a physical release hasn’t been announced by then then I’ll probably just go with digital.

What do we think the chances of this ever getting a physical release are? Not sure if I should wait for that or not…
Play-Asia seems to think there will be one, but I wouldn't take this as outright confirmation; more of a strong likelihood

Quoted by: Tye
So I beat Portal, and uh…

In the PC version, GLaDOS is supposed to go up along with everything; however; she’s completely stationary here. Looks pretty funny to me, may have been a bug but otherwise it was a great playthrough!

Last edited:
found the "to support the game" kinda funny... its a huge sucessfull series for a small company called Valve. If there where ideas and the will for a sequell, they would have done it. If there is a series where supporting it kinda feels pointless, its this one.

I bought Portal 1+2 to help it get into the sales charts = more eyes on Portal = Portal selling more = Portal 3 Switch exclusive! ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

To be honest now. I want to play Portal with my niece soon and this is way easier for her, than playing it on a pc. I am really excited to show it to her. <3 I also love gyro aiming on the Switch release. I never played Portal 2 in coop, i should change this now.

So I beat Portal, and uh…

In the PC version, GLaDOS is supposed to go up along with everything; however; she’s completely stationary here. Looks pretty funny to me, may have been a bug but otherwise it was a great playthrough!

They should also add an option to increase subtitle fonts. They are so tiny…

There is room for improvements.

Just beat it, waiting for my stepdad to play it. Excited to hear his thoughts and start 2 together.

What do we think the chances of this ever getting a physical release are? Not sure if I should wait for that or not…
Please hurry up and buy now so the rest of us can get the physical! 🙏

... Srsly tho, I don't think Valve would pull the bait-and-switch tactic, i.e. if physical was in the cards, they would have told us during the Direct spot.

If it’s physical I bet it’ll be in a year or so via Limited Run. Valve isn’t gonna price this at $20 and foot the bill to also make it a physical game.
Yeah $20 is a steal. Maybe LRG will publish it and have a $150 set with a plastic companion cube and a fake voucher for a cake to make it profitable

For you people wondering if it'll have a physical release or not, don't really know if this means anything but on the eshop it's already charting on the overall downloads page in the US but is not on the digital only page, should be between Inside and KOTOR. May point to a physical release being planned. This could also be because it's a bundle? Again, don't really know if it means anything.

Count me as one who would love a physical version, but I’m not gonna wait around for that. If one ever does come, I’ll just double dip. Portal is one of the greatest games ever made and I’m glad to support it on Switch.

Play-Asia seems to think there will be one, but I wouldn't take this as outright confirmation; more of a strong likelihood
Hmm, that’s probably specifically for Asian regions though, since it’s Play-Asia, right? I wonder if that would also release in North America if that’s true…

I have a weird rule that I always get physical copies of games when available, unless the physical version has a different publisher, title, or bundled contents that make it not interchangeable with the digital version, but also I stick to only physical copies of games from my region, so I don’t go out of my way to import physical copies that are exclusive to other regions.

for the folks who never played Portal....

PLEASE do yourself a favor and play them.
Probably some of the best games I have ever played.
The story, the gameplay, the lore.... it all comes together in a way few games do.

for the folks who never played Portal....

PLEASE do yourself a favor and play them.
Probably some of the best games I have ever played.
The story, the gameplay, the lore.... it all comes together in a way few games do.
I did go ahead and buy Portal after the shadowdrop

On Steam Deck, granted, because it's like a quarter of the price right now, but the presentation did make me go buy Portal so mission accomplished?

This is a great collection. Both ports are very solid.

These are two of the best video games ever made.

finished Portal 1.

smooth FPS, gyro was great. going to do bonus levels and then on to Portal 2

been so long since I played these, what a joy

I have such fond memories of Portal 2, brilliant game. I have never played Portal 1, but I've heard it's slightly better, or at least more considered as a classic. Which would mean that it's pretty dang excellent, since I loved Portal 2.

I have such fond memories of Portal 2, brilliant game. I have never played Portal 1, but I've heard it's slightly better, or at least more considered as a classic. Which would mean that it's pretty dang excellent, since I loved Portal 2.
I wouldn't call Portal 1 better. It is tighter and more focused on the core gameplay aspects and some prefer that purity over the more cinematic second part. Also "still Alive" is the best credits song in all of media.

This thread seems like a good place to show off the fuzzy dice I got way back in high school. Still rockin with them in my car to this day

Fondly remembering the friends we incinerated along the way.

I don't know if the first Portal is necessarily better, but I do prefer it for the more focused experience with a heavier emphasis on the puzzle gameplay. It's not like Portal 2 would be hugely bloated or anything, just that it's a little less tight.

I have played the two games ages ago, and do plan to give them another go on Switch. We'll see whether that's still how I feel about them.

On the other hand, "replay both games" IS a good reason =D
If it does well, who knows. Maybe they port Half life collection.

Half Life 2 is nice and all but what I really want is the first game. I believe I haven't replayed the game since 1999, it needs to return in a better from. Though it's more of a Nightdive job rather than Nvidia.

Feature suggestion: disabling look acceleration. It's really aggressive, and I prefer my analog stick movement to correspond directly to camera movement. That way I can use analog stick for rough aiming and gyro for fine.

Also I forgot how awesome Portal's narrative escalation is. GLADOS starts as just a buggy voiceover, then gets quirky, then gets menacing etc.. It does a lot to liven up the "testing chamber" aesthetic of the start of the game.

Half Life 2 is nice and all but what I really want is the first game. I believe I haven't replayed the game since 1999, it needs to return in a better from. Though it's more of a Nightdive job rather than Nvidia.
You really need to check out Black Mesa, which is a (fan-)remake of Half Life in the Source Engine. It is really well made and makes the game much more playable (It has an 84 on Metacritic if that matters):

If they port Half Life to Switch, it should be this version.

Quoted by: SiG
Portal 1 is as lovely as it has always been. Such an elegant and effective realization of a unique creative vision. It’s no surprise that it has inspired an entire generation of indie developers.

Now onto Portal 2.

If it does well, who knows. Maybe they port Half life collection.
I honestly dont think that the sales of the collection determin if there will be a half life port. if valve wants it, it will do it. The money they can earn is miniscule to their regular earnings from steam. With the cashflow valve has those projects are pure vanity and brand reenforcement.

Back
Top Bottom