• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Portal: Companion Collection (1+2) announced for Nintendo Switch (UPDATE: available now!)

It's hard to overstate my satisfaction ♪

I'm very much in for Valve games on Switch. More of this please.

I was asking for this last Sunday. Run, don't walk, especially at $20.

Curiously, Portal also turns 11 years old this April as well

Great price but I cannot believe we're not getting something like The Orange Box.

I'll buy them again happily. Hope the price isn't too steep. Edit - Missed the price. $20 is amazing.

Valve, please bring Left 4 Dead 2 to Switch next lol

Any indication towards a release date or time frame that is just not this year? I found it weird that there was no release data at all for this

My kids are waiting for it.
They play a bit on my PC but it will be better for them on Switch.
Day on here!

I'll spend a lot of money on Switch this years...

One of the best things for me about Switch is how it has consolidated so many of my all-time favorite games past and present on one console (that also makes them portable). Final Fantasy IX, Okami HD, BioShock, Final Fantasy VII, Dragon Quest XI, Disgaea 1, Skyrim, Cuphead, Tetris Effect, Lumines, Katamari, Castle Crashers, AND all my Nintendo favorites, all in the same place.

Portal and Portal 2 were one of my biggest remaining gaps, so suffice it to say I'm absolutely delighted.

(Now I just need Dragon Quest VIII and Persona 5 and we'll really be in business.)

Is this Switch console exclusive do we know?
It is. It’s being developed by Nvidia Lightspeed, who ported a bunch of games to Nvidia Shield (which is the basis of the Switch). It’s possible it could launch on other platforms later, sure, but this project wouldn’t exist without Switch being based on Nvidia architecture.

It is. It’s being developed by Nvidia Lightspeed, who ported a bunch of games to Nvidia Shield (which is the basis of the Switch). It’s possible it could launch on other platforms later, sure, but this project wouldn’t exist without Switch being based on Nvidia architecture.

Interesting, I wonder if it’s possible for more of their ports to come to Switch in the future.

Here’s hoping. They also ported Half-Life 2 and its episodes, MGS 2 and 3, MGS Rising, and The Witness to Shield. They also ported a bunch of Wii games to Shield in China, as part of the initial Switch agreement with Nintendo.

The way Switch has been getting these almost out of nowhere 3rd party ports lately they all seem plausible to come. I’d adore a Left4Dead collection on Switch as well while they are port Valve games.

Really hoping there's a physical release. I think Gyro will be present, Valve isn't dense about that stuff.

I didn't catch Nvidia Lightspeed was working on this. Yeah, fingers very tightly crossed for a Half-Life 2 Collection since those ports already exist as well. Preferably I'd like HL1 included too but I'll take it. Portable HL2 with gyro sounds amazing.

Pass for me unfortunately :(

I have them on PS3, and love the concept, but played for 15 minutes and immediately felt like throwing up due to motion sickness.
That's very unfortunate because Portal 1 and 2 are my favorite non Nintendo games ever made.

I played Portal 1 in one sitting. That's how much I enjoyed it.

The specific eShop call-out in the announcement tweet gives me to believe it'll be digital-only, at least at launch.

Here’s hoping. They also ported Half-Life 2 and its episodes, MGS 2 and 3, MGS Rising, and The Witness to Shield. They also ported a bunch of Wii games to Shield in China, as part of the initial Switch agreement with Nintendo.
the GeForce leak also had a Half-Life 2 Remastered, probably with ray tracing and dlss. though that could have been for testing purposes

£20 for both games? Sweet, and it'll help fund HL3.

Just be warned the coop stuff in 2 gets pretty tricky., don't play it with a braindead partner.

I'm sad a physical release doesn't seem to be in the cards. I hope that changes.
Valve don't do physical, this needs a distributor. Orange Box and Portal 2 physicals were done by EA but I doubt they'd do it again. Maybe Limited Run picks this up.

Honestly, friends and I considered making people play Portal in observation as a litmus test for hiring employees, that's how crazy it made us feel the first time we booted it up.

These two games are incredible.

Is this Switch console exclusive do we know?
So far it seems so. The developers are best known for porting Super Mario Galaxy and Zelda: Twilight Princess to Nvidia Shield. Nvidia Lightspeed Studios specializes in...well, Nvidia hardware.

„Every time I look at our test chamber production line I‘m reminded of my father. Now he wasn‘t a scientist, just a simple farmer. A professor of farming at the local farming college. Never farmed a day in his life! But his theory on farming are the backbone of this company: Do it from scratch. Spare no expense and never cut corners - well, that‘s a corner cutting machine, we obviously cut them there - Point is, we‘ve always done things the way my father did, and his father before him and his father before him and his father before him. And we‘re almost bankrupt. So. Time for a cheaper approach. Allow me to introduce the MULTIVERSE!“

Last edited:
Still thinking about this announcement. Objectively two of the greatest games of all time, the first probably the closest a video game has ever come to being literally perfect.

I remember looking for Portal on Switch a year or so ago. I just assumed it had been ported because it made too much sense. Glad to see it's true now.

Btw, I don't find the script of Portal 2 as funny as the first game: There was more to Portal 1 than just cake jokes. Thank you for helping us help you help us all.
Portal 1 I played one sitting. The mystery of the game kept me going and was enthralling. I think it's a perfect game.

Portal 2 isn't as good in my opinion but it's a solid sequel. I found the whole Cave Johnson thing kind of annoying and not nearly as cool as Glados. Loved the rest of it though. Especially the beginning and ending.

I really hope we get a Portal 3.

Portal 2 isn't as good in my opinion but it's a solid sequel I found the whole Cave Johnson thing kind of annoying and not nearly as cool as Glados. Loved the rest of it though. Especially the beginning and ending.
Yeah, I kind of really thought the Cave Johnson thing fell flat, especially with the way they were trying to play it up as "funny" lore. To me, it just didn't strike the same chord as Portal 1 and felt like it was trying too hard with making its humor work while avoiding any memes from the first game. Portal 1 simply had more wit to it.

The puzzles in Portal 2 are great, though. Too bad that "F-Stop" idea never got used. A Portal Photography game would've been great as well.

Wow great price too! Portal 2 is in my top 10 GOAT list. It's a no brainer, well with brains lol.
Hope the port is 1:1 with maybe improved load times for Portal 2.

Pass for me unfortunately :(

I have them on PS3, and love the concept, but played for 15 minutes and immediately felt like throwing up due to motion sickness.
This is a major issue with Source games. I was able to play Portal back in the day so hopefully I'll be ok. But I remember trying to play The Stanley Parable and I could only make it a few minutes before succumbing to motion sickness.

Btw, I don't find the script of Portal 2 as funny as the first game: There was more to Portal 1 than just cake jokes. Thank you for helping us help you help us all.
The first game may have a better script (I'm not sure I agree, but it's a perfectly sound viewpoint), but the performances from Stephen Merchant and J.K. Simmons in Portal 2 are incredible.

Portal 2 is a better game because it's way better mechanically. the script might not be as good, but it's still a damn good script with lots of quotables. I guess P1 is helped with its length. being shorter made what little punches it had have more impact. while P2 was more punches but less impact

Portal 2 is a better game because it's way better mechanically. the script might not be as good, but it's still a damn good script with lots of quotables. I guess P1 is helped with its length. being shorter made what little punches it had have more impact. while P2 was more punches but less impact
One problem I had with Portal 2 is that it feels way more handholdy.
Many of the puzzles only leave youa small white area the size of a portal to shoot one on while you have test chambers that are mostly white walls in the first game.
Though I prefer both to the Dungeons from that Time Travel mod that released on Steam, that was way too hard and I just gave up at one point.

I hope LimitedRun picks this up for a physical release and a collector’s edition. I’d gladly throw money at them for a big box full of plastic nonsense.

Portal is an all-timer. Switch is increasingly becoming the All-Timer Machine for me.

GIMME UNREAL TOURNAMENT DAMMIT

Anyways, I played through Portal multiple times. Great gameplay concept and execution, great story concept and execution, one of the very few vocal video game songs that don't make me cringe, and doesn't overstay it's welcome.

Portal 2 is a clear example of AAA-ification. It's longer, it's got more story, it's got well-known voice talent, it's got set pieces. It's also overly long and dreary and makes a great case for why smaller can be better.

Do you know how The Witness runs on the Shield?

Back
Top Bottom