• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Portal: Companion Collection (1+2) announced for Nintendo Switch (UPDATE: available now!)

I bought Portal 1+2 to help it get into the sales charts = more eyes on Portal = Portal selling more = Portal 3 Switch exclusive! ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

To be honest now. I want to play Portal with my niece soon and this is way easier for her, than playing it on a pc. I am really excited to show it to her. <3 I also love gyro aiming on the Switch release. I never played Portal 2 in coop, i should change this now.
First i was gonna say that playing it with a mouse is probably easier, but then i realised maybe not if shes not used to mouse controlls =O so good call. do we know if it has gyro aim? did not look to much into it.
I only partially played the coop. it is fun, but demands cooperation, its not one of those "everybody plays for themselves and one does more of the work". You cant carry your partner, which is a plus in my book, but just to be aware, depending on the age of your niece =D

The gyro for this game is unbelievably responsive. Almost feels like I am using a mouse to play the game
oh, okay. that answers my question... they probably learned a lot by having the steam controller and steam deck for learning gyro controlls =D

The whole game (the first Portal) I was thinking "I really hope this is going where I think it's going." And then it did. And I am so happy.

Very weird to have a game shoot into your GOAT list so suddenly.

Last edited:
Anyone have impressions of co-op in Portal 2? Does splitscreen have any noticeable frame drops or is it also rocking a solid 60fps?

I'm hoping the online/local wireless maintaining performance is a given

I haven't laughed as hard in a long ass time as I did at the end credits of Portal 1 just now. Not to get sappy, but I genuinely needed that.

Last edited:
Anyone have impressions of co-op in Portal 2? Does splitscreen have any noticeable frame drops or is it also rocking a solid 60fps?

I'm hoping the online/local wireless maintaining performance is a given
Splitscreen is 30 fps unfortunately, or at least it feels like that to me.

Splitscreen is 30 fps unfortunately, or at least it feels like that to me.
Mmm, not a terrible dealbreaker but as long as it's able to stay consistent in performance I can definitely live with it. Probably going to buy it before long once I finish off a few more of the games I already have haha

Sorry if already asked, but I can't switch audio from French to english, the option is greyed out. Is it just not possible, the game automatically setting language according to the os ?

Sorry if already asked, but I can't switch audio from French to english, the option is greyed out. Is it just not possible, the game automatically setting language according to the os ?
You can only change the language when your in the main menu/title screen of the game. In Portal you need to restart the game for that.
Mmm, not a terrible dealbreaker but as long as it's able to stay consistent in performance I can definitely live with it. Probably going to buy it before long once I finish off a few more of the games I already have haha
Yeah, personally I don‘t care.

You can only change the language when your in the main menu/title screen of the game. In Portal you need to restart the game for that.
That's what I was suspecting... Luckily I didn't go that far.
Thanks for the answer !

Portal 1 just made me puky in handheld mode. I'll try again tonight before eating.
Source games give me motion sickness like nothing else. I was able to play Portal on the 360 back in the day no problem, but anything else that’s made with the Source engine makes me want to puke my guts out. Half-Life, Counter Strike, TF2, and even The Stanley Parable make me queasy. I haven’t played the Switch ports of Portal yet, but I am worried that they’re going to make me sick too..

I’ve played these both many times before. Finished 1 this morning and started on 2. I do love 1. It’s short, sweet, perfectly executed and absurdly funny. But I’m still amazed at what they pulled off with 2. It’s not the original but it does everything better. And then there’s Cave Johnson.

Can't agree with the idea that Portal 2's script is weaker, in all aspects apart from novelty and brevity I find 2 to be the superior game, writing included.

Can't agree with the idea that Portal 2's script is weaker, in all aspects apart from novelty and brevity I find 2 to be the superior game, writing included.
I agree. I can't believe anyone who says 1 is better. 2 is far superior by the puzzles, the animation, story, writing, gameplay. Just everything.

Portal 1 is this short self-contained experience that wants to give you a feeling of you being alone in a facility, monitored by this computer voice and it perfectly does that. If you play this game for the first time and know nothing about it, it could be a very special experience.

Portal 2 is in length, art style and gameplay just on another level. But it also goes in a completely different direction. It opens up the world, gives characters much more personality and overall It is probably the best what you can get in humor in a video game.

They are both really great games and do evoke different feelings. Which one you prefer more depends on if you want a more focused experience (Portal 1) or a longer adventure with much more character, story and world building (Portal 2).

I like the humor in Portal 1 more than in Portal 2. I don't know how but I find the humor in the second one feeling a bit forced.

Both are still very enjoyable games.

I did go ahead and buy Portal after the shadowdrop

On Steam Deck, granted, because it's like a quarter of the price right now, but the presentation did make me go buy Portal so mission accomplished?
I already have Portal and Portal 2 on Steam, and thus is technically already on my Deck library.

But I'm going to get Portal Collection on Switch because of what I've heard of it being ported by Nvidia Lightspeed Studios. If anyone knows how to push Switch hardware, it will be Nvidia themselves.

Now whether or not I want it physically, I much, much prefer the latter, so I don't mind waiting until Limited Run or some other company (perhaps Valve themselves?) announces a physical release of the game.
You really need to check out Black Mesa, which is a (fan-)remake of Half Life in the Source Engine. It is really well made and makes the game much more playable (It has an 84 on Metacritic if that matters):

If they port Half Life to Switch, it should be this version.

Technically there's a lot more legal hurdles to jump into, since it was developed by Crowbar Collection and was a game that was given "Valves blessing". If any console releases were to be made, CC might actually need to legally license the Valve IP and release it either as "Half Life: Black Mesa", or perhaps keep the current name but make it very clear it's a fan interpretation.

And even then, it's a pretty demanding late-Source engine game that will require someone like Nvidia Lightspeed Studios to do a porting job justice, if Portal Companion Collection is any indication.

Last edited:
Half Life 2 is nice and all but what I really want is the first game. I believe I haven't replayed the game since 1999, it needs to return in a better from. Though it's more of a Nightdive job rather than Nvidia.
Disagree in this regard. Nightdive would be great for PC ports in most cases, but Nvidia knows the Switch hardware inside and out as they made the Tegra chip.

Just beat Portal 1 again. Been awhile, I really enjoy these smaller compact games.
Nice to be able to switch to portable mode too.

No one else wants to puke their guts when playing Portal 1?
I finished it back in the days on PC and it is brillant, but I'm getting some bad motion sickness on switch.

I hate to say it but it seems like you may have a weak sto..... 🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮

Okay, yes.

First time the Switch has been in the dock in ages, but maybe I'll try handheld next session.

I hate to say it but it seems like you may have a weak sto..... 🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮

Okay, yes.

First time the Switch has been in the dock in ages, but maybe I'll try handheld next session.

I'm actually almost never sick, which is why I'm so surprised. The last time I was sick was 7 years ago when I tried reading on my Kindle in a Burmese night bus with thick velvet curtains and Burmese music videos on the screens.

I could finish the game though I felt a bit uneasy at times. Absolutely brilliant.

Now onto Portal 2.

Playing coop mode with randos is tough lol
The countdown and markers do help a decent amount though

My only complaint is that with portal 2, I get 2 “unable to connect to internet” screens every time I unlock an achievement.

My switch is docked and on Ethernet. If I close the game and restart, it’s fine until I put the switch to sleep and wake it up again. Just annoying.

I don’t even know why it needs to connect. I’d use airplane mode but it happens while docked so that’s no help.

Game runs great and still terrific though.

Pound for pound Portal 2 is a better game. Plus the pre-launch ARG made the release of the game particularly memorable.

In retrospect the first time novelty of P1 is hard for any game to beat and I go back and forth on the ‘voice in your ear’ aspect of GLaDOS. I definitely had a moment of hesitation seeing Alyx put on a headset so Russ could always be there to quip to her in HL:Alyx. I’m slightly worried Valve will again use this storytelling device as a crutch in their next single player game a decade from now.

Are the 2 player levels in Portal 2 already unlocked from the beginning, or do you have to play through the single player campaign first?

Are the 2 player levels in Portal 2 already unlocked from the beginning, or do you have to play through the single player campaign first?
You can play those whenever, even if they are chronologically set after the main campaign.
But it's not like they will really spoil anything.

The whole game (the first Portal) I was thinking "I really hope this is going where I think it's going." And then it did. And I am so happy.

Very weird to have a game shoot into your GOAT list so suddenly.
It's it so fucking good??

Replayed both on Switch. I'm always forgetting the fact that the first one is really short (but still good). Portal 2 is as good as ever, even though I really dislike the segments based on "hey, how about you find the only patch of wall that can be used here?".

I played these on Xbox BC last but may eventually get these Switch ports, they sound fantastic. Both games are excellent but Portal 2 really takes it for me. Stephen Merchant’s performance is sublime, and its a reminder of who the real GOAT of the series is — Cave MFing Johnson.

I don't double dip. Heck, even movies I love I hardly ever watch again (only after it's been a few years and if they are in my top fav list).... but... for this Portal release?

Day one. Beat both on Switch in about a week. Basically, for me, it's the non-Nintendo GOAT. I'm thinking about playing them again already? Hmm.

Back
Top Bottom