• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Polygon: "Super Mario Maker 2 creator releases ‘Super Mario Bros. 5’ after 7 years of work"

Josh5890

Yoshi
Founder
Pronouns
He/Him
If you want to check out the game for yourself, you can find it by searching Metroid Mike 64’s Maker ID code on Super Mario Maker 2: OG9-XN4-FNF.

It finally happened, “Super Mario Bros. 5” is here! And by “here” we actually mean “fully realized and created inside Super Mario Maker 2 by a fan, not Nintendo.”

It’s been 32 years since Nintendo launched Super Mario World — the last truly classic Mario Bros. platformer before the modern era — in Japan. Since then we’ve gotten numerous 3D Mario games, modern 2D “New” Super Mario Bros. games, and even Mario games where you can make other Mario games.

But many fans have wondered over the years: Will Nintendo ever return to the classic era and give us one more great platformer in the style of Super Mario Bros. 3 and Super Mario World? The answer to that question is clearly a resounding “no,” but Super Mario Maker 2 level creator and Twitter user Metroid Mike 64 has given us the next best thing.

All 7 Koopalings are here as end-of-world bosses. Some basic, some unique. pic.twitter.com/NFvpbkZfrI
— Metroid Mike 64 (@MetroidMike64) September 25, 2022
After what they describe as seven years of work, Metroid Mike 64 (aka Mikey_Mike on Switch Online) has built a spiritual successor to the original Mario tetralogy, boldly titled Super Mario Bros. 5.

Metroid Mike’s Super Mario Bros. 5 contains 40 courses and eight full worlds. They use a wide variety of game styles in the levels too, with Super Mario World making up 24 courses, Super Mario Bros. 3 making up 14, and the final two courses made in the original Super Mario Bros. style. (Metroid Mike 64 says that the Super Mario Bros. 2 mushroom also makes an appearance in the game).

I'm going to give it a try sometime this week. From what I've read/seen, it seems like a good adventure.

I'll give it a try too. Only recently booted up the game and was looking for a reason to try it again.

But in general I thought Mario Maker 2 turned out to be such a disappointment, just from the lack of curation. The level building tool is amazing, and some of the levels are insane, but if you don't want to play auto-play, music, puzzle, or pop-culture themed levels it's just so difficult to have to wade through so much of what you don't like.

The "like" system also doesn't really correctly rate which are the best levels, just which get the most eyeballs.

Oh yeah, I've been looking for an excuse to fire this game up again. Hopefully I commit to beating this one unlike the other games made in MM2 lol

I'll give it a try too. Only recently booted up the game and was looking for a reason to try it again.

But in general I thought Mario Maker 2 turned out to be such a disappointment, just from the lack of curation. The level building tool is amazing, and some of the levels are insane, but if you don't want to play auto-play, music, puzzle, or pop-culture themed levels it's just so difficult to have to wade through so much of what you don't like.

The "like" system also doesn't really correctly rate which are the best levels, just which get the most eyeballs.
This! I hope that the next Mario is a 2D Mario but that it comes with a level builder and a better suggestion algorithm. Finding good levels in Mario Maker 2 is hard. It's either super tough levels created for people like Ryukhar or auto music levels.

I've played through Super Mikey Mike World's first two worlds and it's a pretty good SMM2 levelset, but many of the levels are overly lengthy and none so far are particularly clever (the most so are a few that you loop through with switched turned on/off). I will say that it's very consistent in its quality. I'm not sure if it's overall the best SMM2 "world"/levelset I've played, though -- I'll have to go back and look through my favorites.

Is there a nice aggregated list of the best SMM2 worlds somewhere on the web? (I know of a few places that highlight great individual stages.)

And to those complaining about curation/auto/music/kaizo levels, use the difficulty and tag filters! They work pretty well.

I haven't touched Mario Maker 2 in a long while, but looking at videos of these levels, clearly I should!

Great, now Nintendo's gonna push the next 2D Mario back a year.
Tezuka right now:

6uwk95.jpg

Is this a Goat Simulator 3 situation where we just skipped 4 and went straight to 5?

Oh, I think Super Mario Bros. 4 is what Super Mario World is officially listed as in Japan, but I could be wrong!

At any rate, these levels look fun. I love traditional style levels. That's how I built my own Super World with in mind. Guess I needed to advertise it more. ha :)

Is this a Goat Simulator 3 situation where we just skipped 4 and went straight to 5?
WYPotoS.png

Oh, I think Super Mario Bros. 4 is what Super Mario World is officially listed as in Japan, but I could be wrong!
You are not wrong 👍

Also can we take a moment to appreciate how much better the Japanese box art is than the USA version?

Ohh, I will sure try it!

I love the Super Mario Maker games. However, like some have said, finding traditional stages to play can be a chore, and since I only like those, I always end up spending most of my time creating rather than playing, which is a shame. I mean, I love creating, but I could get at least triple the gameplay time out of the package if good traditional levels were easier to find.

Has anyone played it yet? How is it?

I'll double what @Heron said......is there a resource / list somewhere of good world packs? I want to play a good mario game, not some crazy kaizo gibberish.

Polygon the site not the guy who posts here said:
But many fans have wondered over the years: Will Nintendo ever return to the classic era and give us one more great platformer in the style of Super Mario Bros. 3 and Super Mario World? The answer to that question is clearly a resounding “no,”
The New Super Mario Bros. series was too repetitive in style, but harsh to act like they don't exist or are entirely different from the old Super Mario Bros. games.

Has anyone played it yet? How is it?

I'll double what @Heron said......is there a resource / list somewhere of good world packs? I want to play a good mario game, not some crazy kaizo gibberish.

It's good, but not necessarily more worthy of being called SMB5 than the numerous other world packs on SMM2. I'm not sure how this one got a Polygon article when others didn't. Based on Twitter following/retweets?

Here's a list of recommendations stolen from the old site (I've enjoyed some of these myself, notably Phil32's):

Pinktops - JN4-6J7-N3G
Phil32 - 4XW-VB1-VXG
Nocturnowl: 8SJ-DFC-WMG
Hero - CD4-1T7-PWG
Iggy2602 - 2TQ-2TC-FWG
Perrymaker - Q9C-C70-JBG
Pesca: VMF-6T8-Q1H

Credit to Gotdatmoneyy, who's also here!

Last edited:
I've played through Super Mikey Mike World's first two worlds and it's a pretty good SMM2 levelset, but many of the levels are overly lengthy and none so far are particularly clever (the most so are a few that you loop through with switched turned on/off). I will say that it's very consistent in its quality. I'm not sure if it's overall the best SMM2 "world"/levelset I've played, though -- I'll have to go back and look through my favorites.

Is there a nice aggregated list of the best SMM2 worlds somewhere on the web? (I know of a few places that highlight great individual stages.)

And to those complaining about curation/auto/music/kaizo levels, use the difficulty and tag filters! They work pretty well.
The project is pretty solid overall but I would agree there is nothing super clever or interesting about any of the levels. It's definitely a good project (I still have to finish it) amd I'm having fun with it but it wont be one where I think I'll leave a lasting impression.

Ohh, I will sure try it!

I love the Super Mario Maker games. However, like some have said, finding traditional stages to play can be a chore, and since I only like those, I always end up spending most of my time creating rather than playing, which is a shame. I mean, I love creating, but I could get at least triple the gameplay time out of the package if good traditional levels were easier to find.
The search function is a lot better than you guys give it credit for. It's not hard to find traditional levels.

I literally just found this level (like 3 minutes ago)

"2-C: Roy's Skeletal Citadel" - 3T5-59T-BWF

by searching in game

difficulty: Expert
date uploaded: Within 90 days
number of plays: 500 or fewer plays
Tag: Standard, Themed

level was fun. Says dude has a super world. Went to their page. Boom. Now I have a traditional super world to play. It literally is this easy to find levels.

It's good, but not necessarily more worthy of being called SMB5 than the numerous other world packs on SMM2. I'm not sure how this one got a Polygon article when others didn't. Based on Twitter following/retweets?

Here's a list of recommendations stolen from the old site (I've enjoyed some of these myself, notably Phil32's):

Pinktops - JN4-6J7-N3G
Phil32 - 4XW-VB1-VXG
Nocturnowl: 8SJ-DFC-WMG
Hero - CD4-1T7-PWG
Iggy2602 - 2TQ-2TC-FWG
Perrymaker - Q9C-C70-JBG
Pesca: VMF-6T8-Q1H
Gotta at least give me props for riffing my list 😅

It's cool, but why is this one specifically getting the big sites covering it? There have been loads of Super Worlds with levels that try and be proper Nintendo-like affairs.

It's because of the numbered title. It's nice clickbait.
Pretty much. Same reason people paid attention to the "Mother 4" fangame (which was rebranded to "Oddity" to avoid ninjas). In both cases they had the audacity / guts to slap an official sounding name on the project. Whether or not they have the skills to back up the claim is another question.

I played through this and it inspired me to to make my own 40-level adventure. I always felt bad because Super Mario Maker 2 came out in between other big games, and after I finished the single-player mode, I never really got into making levels as much as I did with the Wii U game. I'm three levels in, and I'm remembering why Mario Maker is so addicting.

I played through this and it inspired me to to make my own 40-level adventure. I always felt bad because Super Mario Maker 2 came out in between other big games, and after I finished the single-player mode, I never really got into making levels as much as I did with the Wii U game. I'm three levels in, and I'm remembering why Mario Maker is so addicting.

Share your levels as you go!! Would love to give them a try :)

Pretty much. Same reason people paid attention to the "Mother 4" fangame (which was rebranded to "Oddity" to avoid ninjas). In both cases they had the audacity / guts to slap an official sounding name on the project. Whether or not they have the skills to back up the claim is another question.

The fact it got picked up is pretty impressive. In the same notion, I think most of the active Mario Maker community could point websites to Mario Maker projects that absolutely are absolutely stellar content wise. Like Mike's Super Mario Bros 5 project is fun but unremarkable tbh. Deserves some love but I don't think it's actually even in the top 10 super worlds that I have played.

Share your levels as you go!! Would love to give them a try :)

The fact it got picked up is pretty impressive. In the same notion, I think most of the active Mario Maker community could point websites to Mario Maker projects that absolutely are absolutely stellar content wise. Like Mike's Super Mario Bros 5 project is fun but unremarkable tbh. Deserves some love but I don't think it's actually even in the top 10 super worlds that I have played.
When I finish my first world, I'll post my code!

Back
Top Bottom