• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Pokemon Scarlet and Violet sold 10 million in the first 3 days

Frankly, whether S/V was commercially successful or not, I don't think it would have any bearing on the technical performance of GF's next release.

Like, I seriously have no expectations from them as developers, between their technical skills, their dev cycles, and their need to coordinate with their massive multimedia machine.

And overall, it bears repeating that those glitches and bugs and frame drops are all minor niggles to the vast majority of the audience.

Do I want the games to perform better? Absolutely. I just don't see how good sales necessarily run counter to that.
Because if sales started to dwindle from the previous title's release, Nintendo and the Pokemon company would need to find a reason as to why. With sales climbing higher, the need to correct mistakes that S/V have had isn't as necessary as they clearly didn't impact sales and most likely won't next time.

Nobody wins when games like these are released, nobody.
I’m assuming by “games like these” you mean laggy and buggy right? Because if so I agree. But in terms of Scarlet and Violet releasing in general, people like me who love the game despite its glaring graphical flaws are the true winners.

Talent won.
Specifically talent, not like, carefulness or professionalism or patience, just talent at work here folks.

Sure. Considering how the game launched it seems QA wasn’t a thing and if it was then it’s was complete ignored. Its utterly ridiculous for a series that regular sells 10+ million to ship a game like SV with how it looks and performs.

At this point gamefreak is just technically incompetent.

the game would have been QA'd extensively, but a higher up in production would have likely waived a ton of bugs to hit release date, or push them to post-launch patching.

For all the attention speculation around Bayonetta sales got this year, it’s funny to think that whether it made money or not, it’s a rounding error next to Pokémon.
I heard Kamiya confirmed that Bayonetta 4 is on the way, so they probably made money after all.

Because if sales started to dwindle from the previous title's release, Nintendo and the Pokemon company would need to find a reason as to why. With sales climbing higher, the need to correct mistakes that S/V have had isn't as necessary as they clearly didn't impact sales and most likely won't next time.
S/V could sell like half of what SwSh did and it wouldn't mean that the next Pokemon game wouldn't be a technical mess. The point is that these bugs don't matter much to game sales at all, unless they're game-breaking. Usually the takeaway from poorer sales is that something about the gameplay formula needs tweaking, not that bugs needs to be ironed out.

This exactly. Absolutely no ill will towards people who enjoy the game. I myself enjoy the game too, but the accolades this game is getting with the state it released it is not good for anybody and rooting and cheering for that only gives further incentives for the Pokemon Company (Not just Game Freak) to not "Clean up there act" so to say for the next mainline title.
Accolades? It’s the worst-reviewed mainline Pokémon ever, not counting remakes.

gonna say it but im surprised no one has brought up what happened on the very calm year of our lord 2020 as a potential factor. i know everyone is now pretending nothing happened but you have to figure it should have affected things a little bit at least?
Plenty of games were released after COVID and were very polished. That isn’t an excuse for the state it released in.

Sell-in: Nintendo shipped to distributors
Sell-Through: Actual sales from consumer.
(Both included digital purchases, i.e. the eShop or digital codes)

Basically Nintendo sold the games to customers from physical and digital version combined more than 10 million copies overall. Which is really impressive because sell-through tend to be quite lower than sell-in. It's a wonder how many physical copies Nintendo sent out.
I already know this.

Could say the same for you considering where I work but I think that’s far too personal for this thread so I’ll leave it at that.
I'm not the one suggesting even through hyperbole that QA didn't exist on the game. How do you expect anyone to reasonably take such an argument?

Plenty of games were released after COVID and were very polished. That isn’t an excuse for the state it released in.
we also had plenty of delays and games launching broken too

giphy.gif

Wow that's crazy! Pokemon is just such a big brand, it's like it almost cant fail in anything it does LOL

If you can manage to ignore the performance issue and just base the opinion off of characters and story alone, ScVi has been pretty awesome!
It just really is too bad the performance kind of leaves a sour taste because imagine if this game didn't launch with all these hiccups.

Wow that's crazy! Pokemon is just such a big brand, it's like it almost cant fail in anything it does LOL

If you can manage to ignore the performance issue and just base the opinion off of characters and story alone, ScVi has been pretty awesome!
It just really is too bad the performance kind of leaves a sour taste because imagine if this game didn't launch with all these hiccups.

i started playing tonight and the performance is annoying, but somehow I am managing to enjoy the game despite them. The average punter on the street isn't going to be making huge complaints about performance- especially as it's not on the same level of something like Cyberpunk on last gen or Fallout 76 at launch.

The whole discussion around whether a game "deserves" its sales (or lack thereof) has to be one of the most useless ones in video game discourse - which is saying something.

It's essentially all a euphemism for "I'm happy a game I enjoy is doing well" or vice versa.

i started playing tonight and the performance is annoying, but somehow I am managing to enjoy the game despite them. The average punter on the street isn't going to be making huge complaints about performance- especially as it's not on the same level of something like Cyberpunk on last gen or Fallout 76 at launch.
Yep I agree!
The beginning felt especially jarring, and I don't consider myself to have high standards regarding performance as long as the game is fun haha.
The story and goals in the game are all playable, just with tiny hiccups at times!

I did notice the game has been running better now, than it did in the beginning.

But I can understand why the state in which the game launched could be considered a deal breaker for some. Especially since it's from a relatively well known company ig.

But yeah, it's still a really enjoyable game aside from that!

I've long since made my peace that we're not going to ever get a Pokemon that's on the same contemporary level technically and graphically as Zelda or Xenoblade. Neither Gamefreak nor those buying the games seem to care and the sales confirm it. The debate has been had and people have settled for a constant stream of half-baked Pokemon games as opposed to the occasional highly polished one.

But launching the game with a myriad of technical issues that aren't acceptable and still achieving massive sales is another kettle of fish. It just affirms to the TPC that the number 1 priority is just getting as many games out as fast as possible, because for them, missing a key launch window would be worse to their reputation - and their finances - then delaying a game for 6-12 months to make it as good as it can be.

And that's all very well and good for now, but what about 3-4 games down the line when the open world excitement has worn off, and we're left with games similar to S/V that still perform bad and are graphically inferior to their contemporaries? What happens when Gamefreak rush a game out to meet a deadline and it's in an even worse state than this? The sales are astronomical for sure, but there's likely only one trajectory from here.

Talent doesn’t always win, that’s what the Pokémon series proves time and time again.

Fucking Christ this just rewards game freak to put less effort into their titles because of how much they sell.
Lazy rethoric needs to be banned from this forum, and i mean this seriously.

Pokémon SV has a lot of thought and effort put into it, what it lacks is more time and a better engine, things that are outside GF's control.

Given it's prolly the best mainline Pokemon game since B/W or B2/W2, i'd say it's deserved. Purely spoken about gameplay.

The performance is whatever, i got used to it. The glitches and errors though are definitely a thing that a dev normally would want to and should patch.

People should really stop with calling the devs lazy or incompetent. I play the game, there is a lot of passion and love in the game and they know what they are doing. It becomes obvious the problem lies in the higher ups, tight release schedules and stuff like that.

Given it's prolly the best mainline Pokemon game since B/W or B2/W2, i'd say it's deserved. Purely spoken about gameplay.
For Christ's sake, THIS

They have gotten so much right in the gameplay and story departaments, it isn't funny.

The game is a technical disaster, i agree, but the gameplay loop and world design are amazing, they did it right and it already looked it would go that way after SWSH's DLC.

This isn't another Cyberpunk 2077 where the game is barely better than average, this is a straight up amazing Pokémon game, it deserves the sales.

The performance is whatever, i got used to it. The glitches and errors though are definitely a thing that a dev normally would want to and should patch.

Exactly how I feel. So far, I do think Legends is better because it feels like a more polished and deeper version of SV's gameplay, but SV is still miles ahead XY, SuMo and SwSh, like, there's no comparison.

I wonder how much more it would have sold if they actually explained how super cool the multiplayer they made is.

I for one think we should all make peace with the fact no boycott wil lever affect pokemon lol.

Casuals represent the vast majority of the sales of these games and the parents who bought the game for their children dont know and certainly dont give a flying fuck about the technical issues (or any sort of
problems you might have with the overworld etc etc)

They just want to go haha pokeball goes brr.

Kids aren’t really interested in performance or the like. As a kid I didn’t even think Perfect Dark’s frame rate was too bad.
I never really thought of it as bad at all either unless multiple N-Bombs went off in mutliplayer and completely crashed the frame rate lol. Good times.

Kids aren’t really interested in performance or the like. As a kid I didn’t even think Perfect Dark’s frame rate was too bad.
As a kid I knew Banjo-Tooie chugged like molasses, but I didn't know what a framerate was. I'm sure a lot of kids are picking up that something is "wrong" with the performance, but it won't stop most of them from enjoying the game overall.

Still tied with Pokemon Emerald, one of the games the die hard fans claim is the best in the series :p

There is absolutely nothing wrong with criticizing S&V for being technical messes at launch, and there's is nothing wrong with enjoying the game a lot despite it's technical issues.

Yes and no.

Kids don't really pay attention to performance, but you'd have to be a special kind unaware to ignore that adults make a good portion of the Pokémon audience.

Plus, it's a really insulting rethoric both for kids and adults

I hope it gets patched, because I'm having a ton of fun with it and I would love to do a nuzlocke and more runs later down the line. I love it now, but I don't think I'll be able to deal with a lot of the jank in replays.

I don't think it will.

Lazy rethoric needs to be banned from this forum, and i mean this seriously.

Pokémon SV has a lot of thought and effort put into it, what it lacks is more time and a better engine, things that are outside GF's control.
Those things are in GF's control. If they want to slow down and get the engine in shape (especially with new hardware coming at some point), then they can do so. TPC and Nintendo will work around that

Btw I think most people still don't understand how big this launch is.
I'm seeing a lot of people still going with the "it's pokemon it will always sell" mentality but the fact is that before the switch era pokemon was in a decline in both japan and RotW, going from stagnating sales during the 3ds to breaking record now is a huge achievement even with a brand as strong as pokemon.
You can say that people will buy everything if it has pokemon in it but that's not what is happening here, if gamefreak is coming close to outselling rbg after almost 30 years they're probably doing something good and not just relying on brand power right?

Last edited:
Those things are in GF's control. If they want to slow down and get the engine in shape (especially with new hardware coming at some point), then they can do so. TPC and Nintendo will work around that
Uh... No, they can't? That's precisely the issue, they need to work with a set time and budget, it's been like that for 2 decades now.

Uh... No, they can't? That's precisely the issue, they need to work with a set time and budget, it's been like that for 2 decades now.
GF always had autonomy. These games' launch is organized by committee and if GF needs time to sort their shit out, the generation is planned around that. The problem is that they don't want to give themselves more time

Btw I think most people here still don't understand how big this launch is.
I'm seeing a lot of people still going with the "it's pokemon it will always sell" mentality but the fact is that before the switch era pokemon was in a decline in both japan and RotW, going from stagnating sales during the 3ds to breaking record now is a huge achievement even with a brand as strong as pokemon.
You can say that people will buy everything if it has pokemon in it but that's not what is happening here, if gamefreak is coming close to outselling rbg after almost 30 years they're probably doing something good and not just relying on brand power right?
The game has been marketed really well and we're currently riding a wave of 90s nostalgia that may lure in people with fond memories of Pokemon from their youthful days. In the UK I've seen loads of adverts which display the three starters with words 'pick me' on buses and billboards. Simple, yet beautifully evocative for anyone who has ever played a Pokemon ever.

Largely however I think it's the Switch effect. People want to play games on this system; it's a software juggernaut and over 100m systems have now been sold. Suddenly out comes an open world Pokemon at long last and it's like "Yes we'll have some of that please." It's still a stonking achievement but Nintendo games across the board are smashing records. Lord knows what's going to happen when Zelda finally releases on the system (...well it'll be below this but it'll still be monstrous for a Zelda game).

The real test I feel will come when new hardware launches. Will Pokemon be able to recapture the zeitgesit the Switch created? It's an issue all Nintendo games may have to face.

GF always had autonomy. These games' launch is organized by committee and if GF needs time to sort their shit out, the generation is planned around that. The problem is that they don't want to give themselves more time
"they" = "the higher ups at game freak" =/= "the developers involved with the game"

Btw I think most people still don't understand how big this launch is.
Pokemon during the 3DS era in Japan also had competition in the form of Yokai Watch. Wouldn't be surprised if that next generation of kids was split between Pokemon and YW which lead to "sales stagnation".

I don't think Nintendo work that way. They must be the ones behind the rushed release decision, not GF or TPCi. They've done this many times before, especially in the 3DS years (remember those half assed Mario Party and M&L games?). They needed a big release for 2022 fall window and they knew they can't trust the 3rd party like Sony or MS do.

I don't think Nintendo work that way. They must be the ones behind the rushed release decision, not GF or TPCi. They've done this many times before, especially in the 3DS years (remember those half assed Mario Party and M&L games?). They needed a big release for 2022 fall window and they knew they can't trust the 3rd party like Sony or MS do.
There's a difference in those games and pokemon. M&L are contracted out to Alpha Dream and Mario Party are from their own internal teams. GF is co-owner and are third party.

I can't believe Splatoon broke the record only to be destroyed two months later by fucking Pokémon

I can't believe Splatoon was the franchise that set the record in the first place. If anything, it being overthrown by Pokemon is the least surprising thing in this scenario

Remember when the Pokémon Company wasn’t sold on the Switch being right for Pokémon?

But SV failed to break 20m first day sales so Pokemon is going to be PS5 exclusive!

/s

Monstrous sales and I really hope the game gets patched soon

Nintendo have rushed games before sure but they generally leave Pokemon to their own devices. I think it was more 'OK you've got an open world Pokemon planned for November 2022 Gamefreak? Cool, we can give the Zelda team another 6 months to polish, ta very much.'

Back
Top Bottom