• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Pokemon Scarlet and Violet sold 10 million in the first 3 days

I can't wait for the Famitsu numbers tomorrow to see the physical/digital split. Scarvio's physical first week sales might even top BW's (physical) release.

FiR3GbdWYAERAqZ
holy shit bravo

For better or for worse, Pokemon is in the same league as something like COD where it will literally always sell insane numbers.

Personally, I don't like annual releases. I would rather developers be given more time to polish games and release them in a better state. That would be better for the devs and the fans. But the Pokemon Company has pretty much no financial incentive to do that so I can't really blame them.

Also while gameplay is far more important than graphics in my eyes, it's clear that the switch is capable of far better visuals and performance.

I like the game but I’m not sure I’m necessarily happy at the sales performance.

As long as people are having fun with how they spent their money, that’s all that matters I guess.

I like the game but I’m not sure I’m necessarily happy at the sales performance.

As long as people are having fun with how they spent their money, that’s all that matters I guess.
The game was always gonna have a massive launch. Let's see how word of mouth impacts its legs. If it faces a steep decline from Sword and Shield (even compared to the typical same system sequel drop), maybe Game Freak will pay attention

The game was always gonna have a massive launch. Let's see how word of mouth impacts its legs. If it faces a steep decline from Sword and Shield (even compared to the typical same system sequel drop), maybe Game Freak will pay attention
The backlash for SwSh was FAR worse than for SV, nothing stopped them from selling. The series is just unimpeachable to the common public.

Wow... It's amazing these sales records are getting beaten and beaten, I don't think Nintendo is planning to end support for Switch early.

Huge year for Nintendo! First Splatoon 3, now this. Doesn't seem like Switch is losing much momentum at all!

well, the games have to stop being fun. it's their saving grace.

unless...
image.png
Yeah that’s the most frustrating thing to me, this might legit be the best designed game I’ve played this year (the amount of forward thinking things it does with its structure is legit shocking). The designers clearly held up their end of the bargain. Imagine if they’d been allowed to actually finish the fucking game before releasing

Yeah that’s the most frustrating thing to me, this might legit be the best designed game I’ve played this year (the amount of forward thinking things it does with its structure is legit shocking). The designers clearly held up their end of the bargain. Imagine if they’d been allowed to actually finish the fucking game before releasing
What kind of forward thinking in its structure?

Am i too early for the "sales totally mean any criticism is wrong" thing or that doesnt happens at fami?

Why are you doing this lol. The criticism around this game has been “it’s great, but the performance is unfortunate”

On average, there’s very little “criticism” to contest that isn’t an objective technical evaluation. No amount of sales will undo that.

Last edited:
Don't know how this being successful will impact on Game Freak ignoring feedback that much when Sword/Shield achieved sale numbers not seen since gen 1 and they went on to do the most revolutionary games on the franchise right next to it.

What kind of forward thinking in its structure?
The completely non linear, non sequential game design it has, very few games have actually attempted this, and my favorite thing about it is that it does this without diluting its narrative, which none of the handful of other games that went this open and non sequential were able to achieve (not that I actually care about the story in Pokemon, but it is a laudable feat nonetheless).

Don't know how this being successful will impact on Game Freak ignoring feedback that much when Sword/Shield achieved sale numbers not seen since gen 1 and they went on to do the most revolutionary games on the franchise right next to it.
And proceeded to fail said revolutionary games in the areas that Sword/Shield got most of their criticism for, yes.

For better or for worse, Pokemon is in the same league as something like COD where it will literally always sell insane numbers.

Personally, I don't like annual releases. I would rather developers be given more time to polish games and release them in a better state. That would be better for the devs and the fans. But the Pokemon Company has pretty much no financial incentive to do that so I can't really blame them.

Also while gameplay is far more important than graphics in my eyes, it's clear that the switch is capable of far better visuals and performance.
jLQDw9v.png

They really are (non-jokingly) pretty similar. I find the term "too big to fail' is often used in a demeaning way but it applies to these franchises for sure. It's impressive how they can keep reaching audiences that large while pumping out games at the rate they do.

There are very clear steps forward being taken with every game GF has put out. LGPE was their step into HD. Sword and Shield was their first dip of the toe into open world style with the wild area. Then they played around with more properly integrating it into the game with DLC. Then DP remakes were outsourced so GF could focus on continuing to innovate with Arceus. Now S/V.

”Evolution” isn’t a concern, or at least it shouldn’t be. Rather, the concern should be rooted in whether or not management will give the teams enough time to fully bake these games. S/V is clearly just an extra year away from being a much more polished experience. This selling well perhaps sends a message that the next titles can have similarly rough edges.

IMO - it deserves the sales tho. I look to someone like Nintendo to step in and voice the concern / aid regarding quality.

jLQDw9v.png

They really are (non-jokingly) pretty similar. I find the term "too big to fail' is often used in a demeaning way but it applies to these franchises for sure. It's impressive how they can keep reaching audiences that large while pumping out games at the rate they do.
Pokémon is in the "COD moment" between PS3 and PS4 when the game was behind everything else

Historically speaking, does Game Freak patch pokemon games? I haven't played any pokemon game but would like to jump on one. Was thinking that jumping into this one but seems there are technical issues all round.
They patch gamebreaking bugs but as far as I know they've never done a performance patch before. Maybe in Arceus? I beat the game before it happened if so.

Bravo! Well deserved success for a game that takes a surprising amount of risk.

It’ll be much easier for this clearly passionate team to figure out their technical shortcomings than it would have been for the entire series to need redirection from staying within their technical limits and going stale. With a game like this out there, GF should externally have no problem attracting talent and internally have less friction continuing to take risks and experiment.

Historically speaking, does Game Freak patch pokemon games?
No (there have been rare exceptions, such as to allow compatibility with expansions/Home, or breaking a particular game breaking bug in X/Y).

However, historically speaking, Game Freak also does not ship Pokemon games this broken, so

The backlash for SwSh was FAR worse than for SV, nothing stopped them from selling. The series is just unimpeachable to the common public.
The backlash was from hardcore fans. Average buyers didn't care or even know that certain Pokémon weren't in the game. Scarlet and Violet's issues however? Any person with eyes can see them clear as day. And they're mentioned in all the reviews, impacting scores tremendously.

Regardless, Game Freak listens to criticisms even if they don't impact sales. They've addressed many fan complaints in the past (even if they can be frustratingly selective or slow to implement them at times); some would even say overcorrected in some instances.

Last edited:
I didn‘t really see the forward thinking part but I thought that overall it is structured very well (Expect maybe for the tutorial classes everyone is complaining about but I somehow skipped?). The idea with the 3 paths is really good and gives you a lot to do. Being non linear the game also feels more challenging if you wander of the path. The online/multiplayer aspect is very strange but also kinda neat if you want to play in the same gameworld but experience your own stuff too. But I think the main appeal really are weirdly unsurprisingly the Pokémon themselves. Except for the Starter Evolution there are so many cool designs. In the first area alone you can already see like 10 interesting different types.

Still the games don’t seem revolutionary. They still have many of the problems in level structure, some of the music loops repeating to often, animations, immersive breaking repeating buildings, indoor rooms and characters and many more to be fair smaller things that bother me only in combination. And of course there is the technical failures which are much worse than in previous games. It is especially sad because I can see how this game could look great if done with enough time and care, unlike in Arceus or Sword and Shield they got better in implementing the Artstyle this time. Also I honestly think it is a great game for someone who is new to open world games.

Though overall I think it just barley barley cross the line of still playable. Most of the bugs are funny and to me it was super interesting for someone who tries to make living out with games. I mean with the game almost falling apart it is very revealing in how it works.

Last edited:
jLQDw9v.png

Arguably the most fun I've had with both franchises in years!!! Well more of Wz2 than Mw2 but it's pretty much the same thing.

COD was once cutting edge with tech, and is now cutting edge with tech again

When was the last time Pokemon was cutting edge with tech?

One could argue G/S/C since they did the magic of fitting 2 regions into a single Gameboy cartridge

100% undeserved. Just straight up undeserved.

It's bizarre to see people praising this game. It's like if GTA VI released looking like an Xbox 360 game and running at 20 FPS with insane pop-in and glitches....and people then praising Rockstar.

Game Freak basically just released an alpha version of a game and people eat it up. Absolutely atrocious performance and graphical quality. The open world is empty as hell with nothing to do. Towns and cities have no buildings that can be entered and explored. There are like, what, 4 total interior designs in this game?

Legends Arceus is a completely superior game.

Why are you doing this lol. The criticism around this game has been “it’s great, but the performance is unfortunate”

On average, there’s very little “criticism” to contest that isn’t an objective technical evaluation. No amount of sales will undo that.
it just feels like pokemon fans in nintendo forums and nintendo focused websites are always on denial about criticism about everything all the time, i wasnt really expecting something absurd (except that one person who compared it to god of war lol)

I have just beaten the games and oh my god these were so fucking amazing, I don't give a fuck about the performance. For me the performance is irrelevant. These sales are 1000000% deserved and I hope they go on to dethrone RGB because they absolutely deserve to.

Talent doesn’t always win, that’s what the Pokémon series proves time and time again.

Fucking Christ this just rewards game freak to put less effort into their titles because of how much they sell.
People said this exact same thing back in 2019 when Sword and Shield sold gangbusters, only to get Legends Arceus this year which was very well received by fans.

There are like, what, 4 total interior designs in this game?
my dude if you have touched the game you know this to not at all be true lol

I agree more towns need indoor areas but, look at the school alone and it already far outnumbers your claim.

The core gameplay and exploration of SV is Pokemon perfection, and the game is SO much fun to play.

But everything else about it is garbage. The performance, the graphics, and the world fidelity are nothing short of embarrassing.

What's most heartbreaking is that this could have been the single best Switch exclusive since 2017.

The core gameplay and exploration of SV is Pokemon perfection

Genuine question - what is perfect about it? The world is empty and is comprised of 3 bland biomes. There are barely any trees in the world.

In the first few hours it's fun picking up items in the world, but eventually you become loaded with money and items and it quickly loses its novelty. The "open world" is basically just bland environments with Pokemon roaming around. That's it.

I seriously struggle to see what everyone else finds enjoyable about this gameplay loop.

I'll take the route design and unique towns of the earlier generation games all day over this.

Legends Arceus is a completely superior game.
After finishing Violet tonight I legit don’t think I’m ever gonna go back to Legends Arceus. Arceus looks a bit better and runs better… and that’s about it. I do miss free catching tho.

Genuine question - what is perfect about it? The world is empty and is comprised of 3 bland biomes. There are barely any trees in the world.

In the first few hours it's fun picking up items in the world, but eventually you become loaded with money and items and it quickly loses its novelty. The "open world" is basically just bland environments with Pokemon roaming around. That's it.

I seriously struggle to see what everyone else finds enjoyable about this gameplay loop.

I'll take the route design and unique towns of the earlier generation games all day over this.
Pokemon are all the rewards I really need in an open world anyways though, and there's a pretty good distribution of Pokemon. I'm pretty confident that nothing in any other open world game I've played since...idk, BoTW? made me as excited as seeing a freakin' Shroomish for the first time in Scarlet. And I have literally never thought about Shroomish before now

Something about being able to wander in any direction and find some new Pokemon just wandering about is what makes this game great. Plus as an open world terrain enthusiast, the terrain is pretty well laid out. There's a good amount of verticality and terrain variation

And I mean, I never really cared about or even noticed route design in prior games, and I've been playing Pokemon regularly since Gen 3. They just felt...whatever? Like a linear path filled with some annoying random encounters for the most part. Maybe I was just too young to appreciate some of the better ones or something but I legitimately can't recall any route design making much of a positive impact on me. Towns were indeed better before and I do miss that to some degree, but even that's not a huge deal for me

Back
Top Bottom