• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Pokemon Scarlet and Violet sold 10 million in the first 3 days

Ah yes...The absolute fuck is this series

I mean the games are great and as someone who's pretty good at ignoring technical issues they're a legit GoTY contender for me so far. But also holy Arceus those are some numbers

FiR3GbdWYAERAqZ

Only a few months ago Splatoon 3 became the fastest selling game of all time in Japan with 3.45m units in 3 days.

Now that record has already been passed by Scarlet and Violet with 4.05m in the same period (also disclosed in the above article).

Also keep in mind that in the same period globally, SwSh did 6m and Legends did 6.5m. This is TEN million units.

It just shows, Pokémon is loved by many and the Switch is doing wonders for the sales potential of the series.

Talent doesn’t always win, that’s what the Pokémon series proves time and time again.

Fucking Christ this just rewards game freak to put less effort into their titles because of how much they sell.
Ah yes, because performance is the only metric of effort

These games are several orders of magnitude higher effort than SwSh, which were already the second best selling Pokemon games. And now these games are indeed selling better, possibly in response to that higher effort. I don't think this logic is actually backed up by anything

Talent doesn’t always win, that’s what the Pokémon series proves time and time again.

Fucking Christ this just rewards game freak to put less effort into their titles because of how much they sell.
Perhaps I can’t say anything since I didn’t play it.

But based off everything I’ve seen. It shows they put in a lot of effort. Just didn’t have the time they needed.

Only a few months ago Splatoon 3 became the fastest selling game of all time in Japan with 3.45m units in 3 days.

Now that record has already been passed by Scarlet and Violet with 4.05m in the same period (also disclosed in the above article).

Also keep in mind that in the same period globally, SwSh did 6m and Legends did 6.5m. This is TEN million units.
A whopping 4 million jump is pretty extraordinary.

Are we seriously still doing the whole "game freak lazy" shtick

The game is poorly optimized and rushed, and Game Freak put a ton of effort and passion into it.

This is not a defense of the game itself, yeah, it is full of bugs (probably), I haven't played it so only say based on what I have seen, but if you don't call the "created 9 different regions with over 1000 unique Pokemon (no form included) and still sustain the fresh and popularity" a talent then IDK what else is...

For all the attention speculation around Bayonetta sales got this year, it’s funny to think that whether it made money or not, it’s a rounding error next to Pokémon.

That's a lotta money

Now use some of it to PATCH YOUR FUCKING GAME

For all it's many, many faults, this game is super fun and deserves better

As someone who's hated the pursuit of high-end graphics at all cost it's satisfying to see this blow God of War Ragnarok out of the water.

It's a great game, probably the most fun I've had with Pokemon since OG Silver, but man. I really hope some patches are coming.

Well.

On one hand, as a Pokemon game it looks pretty dang good from what I've seen, but the technical issues...I'm kinda speechless.

On the other hand, in the reveal trailer earlier this year we did see the game running less than ok so it's not like they hid the average performance of the game from us.

At this point, I'm just curious if they will patch anything with the inevitable DLC next year or not. If not...what a fascinating game release this will be for modern gaming.

I've had fun with these games no doubt, but this is 1000% not deserved in the slightest.

I am curious to see if the next games can top this though....

Well.

On one hand, as a Pokemon game it looks pretty dang good from what I've seen, but the technical issues...I'm kinda speechless.

On the other hand, in the reveal trailer earlier this year we did see the game running less than ok so it's not like they hid the average performance of the game from us.

At this point, I'm just curious if they will patch anything with the inevitable DLC next year or not. If not...what a fascinating game release this will be for modern gaming.
It's gonna get patched, and it'll happen ASAP. TPC is just being quiet to avoid attracting any more attention to the state of the game.

Yeah, I figured this was set for a huge opening but hoo boy. It'll be interesting to see how it performs in the long run, because Sword/Shield has done well on Switch. Maybe a second generation Switch in 2023 giving Scarlet/Violet a performance boost, combined with the presumably inevitable expansion(s), will help power the game on.

Really, open world Pokémon is the game I've been waiting for for about a decade now. But I haven't jumped in here because Legends didn't do all that much for me and, well, the technical issues are well documented by now and then some.

As someone who's hated the pursuit of high-end graphics at all cost it's satisfying to see this blow God of War Ragnarok out of the water.

It's a great game, probably the most fun I've had with Pokemon since OG Silver, but man. I really hope some patches are coming.
Let’s not do this, ok? It adds nothing of value.

This series probably has a larger percentage of folks that buy based on brand name and totally ignore reviews as something to guide purchasing decisions. These sales definitely riding the strength of the IP and marketing. I’m hopeful the DLC and/or next entries we’ll see more of negative consequence of poor performance. Realistically though the factors that will lead to a change in how these games are developed are 1) re-vamping tools and resources to make process of developing these games easier to avoid a situation where a mainline game is totally, functionally broken (I mean literally game can’t start without completing shutting down and breaking vital gameplay systems) to the point that it misses their release window (and thus negatively impacts potential profits) and 2) Nintendo intervening due to the potential negative impact on their overall brand given how closely linked Game Freak’s efforts and Pokemon are to them.

already beaten Splatoon 3's record lmao. Now if they can just put out a patch where the frame drops issue is permanently dealt with as soon as possible, we gucci.

Isn't that about the same as SuMo and SwSh? Or does the tweet state Japan only? I can't read it obviously

That is legitmately insane for an exclusive game. Still crazy that the Switch is capable of producing such monster launches after all this time.

I would say that hopefully Gamefreak learn technical lessons from this, but we've been here before soooooo...

It's gonna get patched, and it'll happen ASAP. TPC is just being quiet to avoid attracting any more attention to the state of the game.
Wish I had that optimism lol. Hope you're right though! Games look awesome and might get into competitive again because the landscape looks great for variety.

This is not a defense of the game itself, yeah, it is full of bugs (probably), I haven't played it so only say based on what I have seen, but if you don't call the "created 9 different regions with over 1000 unique Pokemon (no form included) and still sustain the fresh and popularity" a talent then IDK what else is...
It doesn't even seem to be "full of bugs". Most of the problems are graphical glitches and nothing more. Still an issue, yes, but different from a bug filled game.

Performance =/= quality. Game Freak has been indefensible over the years for how lacking the Pokemon series have been but this comment is just lazy and poor in argument.

Back
Top Bottom