• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness

• Thread starter Deleted member 2807
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2807

Anyone here enjoy this game?

I have such fond memories of it, especially at its release because I would browse the Nintendo Nsider Forums while playing it. Such a fun time!

I still owe it and have been thinking about booting it up just to start a new file and relive it a bit.

I ignored it back in the day because it was the sequel to the (for me) awful Colosseum and regretted it later when i played it through Dolphin.

It builds on Colosseum but improves it on every single aspect, only played a few hours, but it was enough to understand how good it actually was.

I'm thinking on actually making it one of my christmas games.

I never could beat coliseum as a kid because of absurd difficulty spikes, but I did beat XD in 4th grade and even purified shadow Lugia, which, anyone who's done that knows what a pain that can be.

What I loved about XD (and even coliseum) back then is that a lot of Pokémon were essentially unobtainable in the GBA gen, since there was no interplay with gens 1 and 2. So to get the gen 2 starters and a huge number of generation exclusives, Coliseum and XD were where you could find them.

Compared to Coliseum, I never felt XD was brutally unfair. Has all the great music/mood that made Coliseum interesting, but it's a smoother experience. I would love to replay it as an adult and see if it holds up at all.

XD is an excellent sequel to Colosseum. While it's a little less bleak worldwise and not quite as difficult due to a wider array of Pokemon, it makes up for that with a ton of smart mechanical changes.

I still wish we got a third game.

First, I'll take any excuse I can get: Miror Bs theme.

It's probably the nostalgia talking, but my honest opinion is that it's a better console game than SwSh were, at the very least without the DLC. These games were in such a weird place where it really seems like they were basically told they couldn't have that many catchable Pokémon because they might overshadow the handheld games at the time, so even when XD was allowed to have wild Pokémon after a complete ban in the first game, it was a total of 9.

It's a really big improvement over Colosseum, the shadow mechanics make it feel like way less of a slog. I prefer every mainline Pokemon game to Colosseum, whereas I legit think XD is a better game than a couple of the mainlines (X/Y and Sword/Shield), with a fun story and a really nice selection of Pokemon. I wish we could have gotten more stuff like this afterwards, though the Denpa Men games Genius Sonority ended up making were pretty cool too.

I never actually played XD, but I'm very fond of Colosseum despite its flaws. Maybe someday I'll do a playthrough.

It's a pretty significantly improved version of Colosseum, and also still the only game that has a good implementation of the "shadow Pokémon" concept.

The best part of it is how interesting and strategic the battles become. I'd love another game that returned to having all double battles. I just don't get why they won't let that happen. It would make so many pokemon and moves that are useless in the main series become functional and interesting. Thing of the shenanigans I could pull will my beloved oricorio if I could control it's partner and set up a dancing sensation.

I just don't get why they won't let that happen. It would make so many pokemon and moves that are useless in the main series become functional and interesting.
Because back then it was one of the main complaints people had of both games. The prevalence of double battles was seen as a hidrance, and forced people to be careful when using surefire moves like earthquake and surf.

Because back then it was one of the main complaints people had of both games. The prevalence of double battles was seen as a hidrance, and forced people to be careful when using surefire moves like earthquake and surf.
That was back when surf only hit your opponents. It didn't start hitting your ally as well until Gen 4.

Back
Top Bottom