• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

NSO Pokémon Snap will be available on NSO on June 24th (out now!)

Just bought new Pokemon Snap but I’m curious about how well it will perform, Pokemon Snap is one of the most problematic games for N64 emulation

There we are. Now roadmap 2 when this drops or in the direct? Also when will Japan get the custom robo’s, find it funny they went to the trouble of putting them in the first roadmap when they haven’t made it out yet

Finally, excited to see what new slate they announced in a few weeks at the direct, really hoping they'll eventually bring over pilotwings

Glad to finally see them get this out! Been a long time to get all those N64 games finally after they announced the expansion pack last September.

No Genesis games this month is disappointing, but at least I can finally give this game a spin. Hopefully the next round of games will be announced during the Direct and Ogre Battle 64 will be among them.

Feels like only yesterday everyone was up in arms about the Expansion Pak pricing and here we are, just near the end of Wave 1 😅

No Genesis games this month is disappointing, but at least I can finally give this game a spin. Hopefully the next round of games will be announced during the Direct and Ogre Battle 64 will be among them.
Hoping it'll manage to sneak it at the very end of the month; the day after the direct.

I made a Google Form for people to guess the remaining games from the original list of 38, assuming they're still filling it in. Give it a shot!

Do we think they just drop a window for July-Jan/Feb (When the next assumed direct is on #TeamJan)

Gives another 7-8 games

My Guess
Wave Race 64
Pilotwings 64
Donkey Kong 64
1080 Snowboarding
Goldeneye (I'm a believer)
Pokemon Stadium
Bomberman 64
Tetris 64

Dream games added on
Diddy Kong Racing
Pokemon Puzzle League

Do we think they just drop a window for July-Jan/Feb (When the next assumed direct is on #TeamJan)

Gives another 7-8 games

My Guess
Wave Race 64
Pilotwings 64
Donkey Kong 64
1080 Snowboarding
Pokemon Stadium
Bomberman 64
Tetris 64

Dream games added on
Diddy Kong Racing
Pokemon Puzzle League
I think Puzzle League is more likely than Stadium, unless GameBoy comes along soon with Transfer Pak as a feature (which would be amazing but still feels like a pipe dream, even when we know GB/GBC is coming). Not that Stadium can't happen without it, I just sort of expect Pokémon games to show up in descending order of spinoff-iness.

Gives another 7-8 games

My Guess
Wave Race 64
Pilotwings 64
Donkey Kong 64
1080 Snowboarding
Pokemon Stadium
Bomberman 64
Tetris 64

Dream games added on
Diddy Kong Racing
Pokemon Puzzle League
Swap pilot wings for DK 64 and stadium for Snowboard kids. Oh and Goemon for tetris

Would love Snowboard kids, but as Atlus were the publisher I can't see it

Just give me Buck Bumble
Not only did Sega give us a platform, Atlus gave NSO the original SMT on Snes NSO in Japan. A dormant series like Snowboard kids is definitely on the table
SMT 1 and 2 even !
Yeah, imo Snowboard Kids is one of the most probable third party games to happen on N64 NSO, along with Harvest Moon 64 (at least in Japan) and a few other Rare games.
It's beloved enough by N64 fans and Sega/Atlus are fully part of the NSO program.

I can't wait for the next slate of games then. I am really hoping for:
Pokémon Stadium 2
Resident Evil 2
GoldenEye
Super Smash Bros
Mario Party 2 or 3
Harvest Moon 64
Buck Bumble

If I had to guess the next wave of games, I would say that Wave Race 64 feels like the most likely.

Mario Party (with a warning to not rotate your stick against your palm lol), GoldenEye and 1080° feel like others obvious ones for the next wave.

I'm hoping for Harvest Moon 64 and Mystical Ninja (the first one on 64 specifically, not too much fan of the second) to get in, as far as third parties go.

So I'm gathering this was the last previously announced title. Been so long I don't remember what was in the confirmed pipeline.

We've already got almost all the (non-Rare) first party stuff I care about, but Wave Race, Pilotwings, and 1080 Snowboarding (and I guess Excitebike) seem like obvious choices to show up eventually. Though they strike me more as games that will be dropped when Nintendo just needs to keep the output going.

No idea why Smash seems to be such an elusive feature on 64 BC libraries. It should be among the staples with, like, Kart and SF64 and the Zeldas. Hope it shows up in the next wave.

Maybe we'll get a Mario Party now that they don't have one coming up to compete with.

And with all the smoke, it seems likely Goldeneye will show up at some point. Whether a part of the NSO service or not remains to be seen. I would somewhat expect Banjo-Tooie what with the first, and DK64 seems incredibly likely as well. And at that point, you may as well have Diddy Kong Racing.

Then with Goldeneye, I would hope for Perfect Dark, but who knows. If 007 shows up just on the eshop or something over the NSO, that's an inauspicious sign.

And there's some proper third-party stuff too that'd be nice, but it just seems unwise to expect anything specific on that end. If we're lucky maybe Konami will contribute a Bomberman or Goemon.

Last edited:
I had so much fun with Snap back in the day and when I replayed it a few years ago. Will definitely play this again. The soundtrack is so much fun too. Snap 2 was a little bit of a letdown in that regard.

No idea why Smash seems to be such an elusive feature on 64 BC libraries. It should be among the staples with, like, Kart and SF64 and the Zeldas. Hope it shows up in the next wave.
I'd imagine it's because Nintendo doesn't fully own each character in it. That's not to say it isn't going to happen, but it probably takes extra work.

If we get the future titles at E3, I'd guess we hear of either another 8 or 12 games to get us covered through February or June of next year.

Here's my guesses for what could be in the next wave...

-- Wave Race 64
-- Mario Party 2
-- 1080 Snowboarding
-- Pokémon Puzzle League
-- Super Smash Bros.
-- GoldenEye 007
-- Banjo-Tooie
-- a non-Nintendo/Rare game (I expect another Winback type pick)

I dont know if they give us another roadmap but I think it would be lame of them if they don't given that this is what a lot of people subscribed to the expansion pack for.

I wrongly assumed it was the New Pokemon Snap and my first thought was "oh those poor suckers who paid for that". I was also quite excited as I never bought it.

Honestly, I'd prefer it they went for some N64 firsts. Mischief Makers would be fun.

Gonna throw out my calls for future additions if other people are:

Likely:
  • 1080° Snowboarding - was on both Wii and Wii U Virtual Console.
  • Banjo-Tooie - tested for Wii U VC; if the prior installment could happen I don't see why Tooie wouldn't.
  • Blast Corps - was very close to releasing on Wii U VC, planned for Wii VC; seems like a favourite of Nintendo.
  • Custom Robo - already announced.
  • Custom Robo V2 - already announced.
  • Diddy Kong Racing - tested for Wii U VC; this is the only scenario Diddy Kong Racing can be rereleased in.
  • Donkey Kong 64 - on WIi U VC, no licencing issues that weren't solved last time.
  • Excitebike 64 - on WIi U VC, no licencing issues.
  • GoldenEye 007 - tested for Wii U VC; if it isn't part of the N64 app it'll be coming to Switch anyway.
  • Jet Force Gemini - tested for Wii U VC; another likely Rare game.
  • Mario Party 2 - was on both Wii and Wii U Virtual Console; I think the Mario Party games are intentionally coming later because of Superstars.
  • Pokémon Stadium - I firmly believe that this will arrive alongside GB NSO.
  • Pokémon Stadium 2 - same as above, expect it'll release later with the Gen 2 Pokemon games.
  • Super Smash Bros. - didn't show up on Wii U VC due to strange circumstances (planned to be included in Smash for Wii U but scrapped as N64 VC wasn't available on Wii U yet, to my knowledge was closest to release of any unreleased N64 Wii U VC game), but it'll surely happen this time.
  • Wave Race 64 - was on both Wii and Wii U Virtual Console.
  • Worms Armageddon - only reasonable choice to fit the ID gap between WinBack and Yoshi's Story; Sony got it for PS+++ so not unobtainable.
Maybe:
  • Animal Forest - would obviously be exclusive to the JP app; real time clock emulation is functional in the N64 app already.
  • Bangai-O - Treasure have been a huge supporter on MD NSO, plus Sin & Punishment on N64; no additional publisher complicating things.
  • Cruis'n USA - was on Wii Virtual Console, IP is back with Cruis'n Blast.
  • Cruis'n World - if the former can happen I don't know what would stop this one.
  • Killer Instinct Gold - tested for Wii U VC; as long as the age rating is okay it'll make it.
  • Havest Moon 64 - Marvelous and Natsume figured out something for the Wii U VC release; I hope they can do it again.
  • Mario Party - never on VC; Superstars included the most infamous stick spinning game, just need to include a warning.
  • Mario Party 3 - never on VC, but nothing really stopping it.
  • Perfect Dark - testedfor Wii U VC; as long as the age rating is okay it'll make it.
  • Pokémon Puzzle League / Panel de Pon 64 - missed out on Wii U VC, but after Panel de Pon showed up on SNES NSO I think we'll see something interesting happen with this one.
  • Shiren the Wanderer 2 - planned for Wii VC, shouldn't be that unobtainable (Pokemon Mystery Dungeon series still alive after all).
  • The New Tetris / Tetrisphere - depends on if The Tetris Company allow it (they have strict guidelines for Tetris releases now).
Hopes & Dreams:
  • Anything from N64DD - please?
  • Bomberman (64 / Hero / Second Attack / 64 2001) - former two were on Wii and Wii U VC; would be nice to have them if Konami allow it.
  • Goemon (all of them) - another Konami seires; never been on VC before but tested for Wii U, hope it happens now.
  • Itoi Shigesato's No. 1 Bass Fishing: Definitive Edition - would be fun to have for the novelty.
  • Hybrid Heaven - tested for Wii U VC, would be a funny novel game to see.
  • Mini Racers - unreleased yet finished first-party game; nothing stopping Nintedno from releasing it for the first time.
  • Mischief Makers - tested for Wii U VC, unfortunately tied with Enix; I REALLY hope this can make it.
  • Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Caliber - on Wii and Wii U VC but Square Enix are a wildcard who haven't supported NSO yet.
  • Pilotwings 64 - it seems there are some issues with rereleasing this one, but I hope i'm wrong on that.
  • Resident Evil 2 - tested for Wii U VC; likely coming to PS+++ eventually, novel port that'd be neat to see rereleased.

Last edited:
I'd imagine it's because Nintendo doesn't fully own each character in it. That's not to say it isn't going to happen, but it probably takes extra work.
That's true, but the other parties for the first game are quite limited, all part of the Nintendo umbrella, and already all present on the NSO already, most even in the 64 section, so you'd think it would be relatively simple.

I mean, the system launched with a third-party game. I'm sure they could've launched with Smash as well if they wanted to. It's just HAL, GF, Creatures and Itoi they need.

That's true, but the other parties for the first game are quite limited, all part of the Nintendo umbrella, and already all present on the NSO already, most even in the 64 section, so you'd think it would be relatively simple.

I mean, the system launched with a third-party game. I'm sure they could've launched with Smash as well if they wanted to. It's just HAL, GF, Creatures and Itoi they need.
They're all under the umbrella now, but EarthBound was still MIA at the time of N64's launch. I always felt that was strange, and wonder if it's related to why Smash couldn't be in the initial lineup.

Or maybe it's just as simple as Nintendo wanting to still have big name titles down the stretch, particularly around the renewal period.

They're all under the umbrella now, but EarthBound was still MIA at the time of N64's launch. I always felt that was strange, and wonder if it's related to why Smash couldn't be in the initial lineup.

Or maybe it's just as simple as Nintendo wanting to still have big name titles down the stretch, particularly around the renewal period.
They could be working on integrating the Online play with 4 player..

Likely:
  • Banjo-Tooie - tested for Wii U VC; if the prior installment could happen I don't see why Tooie wouldn't.
  • Blast Corps - was very close to releasing on Wii U VC, planned for Wii VC; seems like a favourite of Nintendo.
  • Diddy Kong Racing - tested for Wii U VC; this is the only scenario Diddy Kong Racing can be rereleased in.
  • Donkey Kong 64 - on WIi U VC, no licencing issues that weren't solved last time.
  • GoldenEye 007 - tested for Wii U VC; if it isn't part of the N64 app it'll be coming to Switch anyway.
  • Mario Party 2 - was on both Wii and Wii U Virtual Console; I think the Mario Party games are intentionally coming later because of Superstars.
  • Pokémon Stadium 2 - same as above, expect it'll release later with the Gen 2 Pokemon games.
  • Super Smash Bros. - didn't show up on Wii U VC due to strange circumstances (planned to be included in Smash for Wii U but scrapped as N64 VC wasn't available on Wii U yet, to my knowledge was closest to release of any unreleased N64 Wii U VC game), but it'll surely happen this time.
  • Worms Armageddon - only reasonable choice to fit the ID gap between WinBack and Yoshi's Story; Sony got it for PS+++ so not unobtainable.
Maybe:
  • Animal Forest - would obviously be exclusive to the JP app; real time clock emulation is functional in the N64 app already.
  • Bangai-O - Treasure have been a huge supporter on MD NSO, plus Sin & Punishment on N64; no additional publisher complicating things.
  • Cruis'n World - if the former can happen I don't know what would stop this one.
  • Killer Instinct Gold - tested for Wii U VC; as long as the age rating is okay it'll make it.
  • Havest Moon 64 - Marvelous and Natsume figured out something for the Wii U VC release; I hope they can do it again.
  • Mario Party - never on VC; Superstars included the most infamous stick spinning game, just need to include a warning.
  • Perfect Dark - testedfor Wii U VC; as long as the age rating is okay it'll make it.
  • Pokémon Puzzle League / Panel de Pon 64 - missed out on Wii U VC, but after Panel de Pon showed up on SNES NSO I think we'll see something interesting happen with this one.
  • Shiren the Wanderer 2 - planned for Wii VC, shouldn't be that unobtainable (Pokemon Mystery Dungeon series still alive after all).
  • The New Tetris / Tetrisphere - depends on if The Tetris Company allow it (they have strict guidelines for Tetris releases now).
Hopes & Dreams:
  • Bomberman (64 / Hero / Second Attack / 64 2001) - former two were on Wii and Wii U VC; would be nice to have them if Konami allow it.
  • Goemon (all of them) - another Konami seires; never been on VC before but tested for Wii U, hope it happens now.
  • Itoi Shigesato's No. 1 Bass Fishing: Definitive Edition - would be fun to have for the novelty.
  • Mini Racers - unreleased yet finished first-party game; nothing stopping Nintedno from releasing it for the first time.
  • Mischief Makers - tested for Wii U VC, unfortunately tied with Enix; I REALLY hope this can make it.
  • Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Caliber - on Wii and Wii U VC but Square Enix are a wildcard who haven't supported NSO yet.
  • Pilotwings 64 - it seems there are some issues with rereleasing this one, but I hope i'm wrong on that.
  • Resident Evil 2 - tested for Wii U VC; likely coming to PS+++ eventually, novel port that'd be neat to see rereleased.
I’d say the Snowboard Kid games and Puyo Puyo 64 have good odds. Sega gave us a platform and Atlus gave both SMT’s on super famicom. And puyo puyo snes was a launch title

excited to play this and get even more annoyed with the pacing of the sequel in retrospect

They could be working on integrating the Online play with 4 player..
Their solution for that is at the emulator level and shouldn't have anything to gain from game-specific tweaks. Mario Kart 64, Star Fox 64, Mario Tennis, and F-Zero X already support 4 players; it shouldn't take further work.

Their solution for that is at the emulator level and shouldn't have anything to gain from game-specific tweaks. Mario Kart 64, Star Fox 64, Mario Tennis, and F-Zero X already support 4 players; it shouldn't take further work.
They could've hit a few snags along the way that is delaying it.

Yeah, really hope they plan to do another trailer for the next years' worth of upcoming N64 drops.

It was nice to already know what to look forward to and I enjoy that the N64 drop discussions aren't littered with "Wow, they put THIS garbage niche game on there instead of MY most wanted game?!" negativity that the SNES app discussion has been plagued with since the beginning. Plus there are still quite a few "big" N64 games that would absolutely still get people hyped.

DK 64
Wave Race
Diddy Kong Racing
Smash Bros.
GoldenEye
Mario Party games
Pokemon Stadium
Cruisin USA

Those titles especially felt like a big part of mainstream gaming talk back in the day and seem completely feasible to me to make it onto the service. Throw in a few "gems" that people have highlighted as being standouts in the decades since(Goemons, Bombermans, Mischief Maker, Snowboard Kids etc.) and you've got a great hype trailer for Season 2 imo.

On any given day, I might respond with Pokemon Snap as my favorite N64 game.

I'm not sure that it is, but it's up there with games that I very much adore both from the console and in general.

I finished it for the fourth or fifth time a few years back once again on my N64, and I'm looking forward to running through it again!

Re: Other games, Snowboard Kids should really get a full-on re-release along with SK2, but I will gladly take at least one of them in the N64 app. Wave Race is a must. I would also keep my yearly sub running if they translated Animal Forest N64 into English and put it on the app. Probably way too much work, but that would be more than worth the yearly sub price to me.

I think it would be more conspicuous if Smash had a habit of showing up at the outset with the others. But it doesn't, if it shows up at all. On the Wii U we had all three Mother games (if you count Japan's VC), and no Smash.

I agree the licensing adds an extra wrinkle, but it's not like Brawl onward where there are big third-parties necessary to involve. The first two Smash games only go so far as to encompass license holders that share Nintendo IP and pretty amenable to this kind of thing. For instance, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think it was Itoi that was the holding up getting the Mother games on the VC for all that time.

I go back to thinking that if Nintendo wanted Smash for launch last year, they'd have been able to manifest that. It may indeed be your second point, but it's so strange that they would constantly use Smash for that purpose when they typically front-load all the most successful first-party titles.

Killer Instinct Gold - tested for Wii U VC; as long as the age rating is okay it'll make it.
Well, we already have T rated games on the service.

Might even work well with a Custom Robo release since those games probably won't make it outside Japan, and KI probably won't be released inside Japan, and that way no one gets shafted a release.

I’d say the Snowboard Kid games and Puyo Puyo 64 have good odds. Sega gave us a platform and Atlus gave both SMT’s on super famicom. And puyo puyo snes was a launch title
I forgot to list Snowboard Kids but considering the support from Sega / Atlus so far I see it as one of the more likely third-party games.

Well, we already have T rated games on the service.
It was pointed out to me last time I brought it up that KI 1 and 2 were rerated to 17+ when they were rereleased on Xbox One; but i’m not sure if that’s something that would affect NSO.

Snowboard Kids, Mischief Makers, Mystical Ninja and Space Station Silicon Valley would be wonderful additions for me.

Likely:
Maybe:
Hopes & Dreams:
Smash 4 was going to include Smash 64?

That Snap trailer makes me smile. Lots of memories of that game. Can't wait to replay on NSO.

Diddy Kong Racing, Banjo Tooie and Conker's Bad Fur Day are all I want left and anything else it just cherries on top. (I know Conker is a pie in the sky dream, but still, I waaaant it!)

Rare did a lot of heavy lifting for N64, starting to wonder how many conversations Nintendo has had with Rare as of late.

Back
Top Bottom