• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Reviews Pokémon Scarlet & Violet | Review Thread

After watching some streams of 1.0.1 I feel like it's a weebit disingenuous to describe this as mere "performance issues." Yeah, other Switch games have pop-in and cut the framerate of distant characters, but most of them don't have shadows whacking out randomly or take multiple seconds to load up menus

I'm with Imran. I don't think this is two-sided. It is objectively bad. Sure, one will enjoy it, but thinking it's acceptable is inherently a worse preference--it means you are OK with letting GF get away with this again and again without punishment. I'm being harsh, but I'm just annoyed at them.

I saw several outlets uploaded videos specifically mentioning the performance in Scarlet and Violet. I do wonder if Game Freak is hard at work at a patch.

I saw several outlets uploaded videos specifically mentioning the performance in Scarlet and Violet. I do wonder if Game Freak is hard at work at a patch.
That’s what I find interesting about this release in particular - there have been multiple news outlets that have put out videos detailing the performance problems that Scarlet and Violet are shipping with. This feels like a more direct “calling out” of the series than we saw even with SwSh’s “N64 trees”. It’ll be interesting to see if Game Freak puts out a patch, and if so, will they talk about the response from the media?

That’s what I find interesting about this release in particular - there have been multiple news outlets that have put out videos detailing the performance problems that Scarlet and Violet are shipping with. This feels like a more direct “calling out” of the series than we saw even with SwSh’s “N64 trees”. It’ll be interesting to see if Game Freak puts out a patch, and if so, will they talk about the response from the media?
The direct call out of Sword and Shield was the Dexit stuff. That went on for the entire time after E3.

N64 trees felt more of an extension of that since it became really cool to joke on those titles after that announcement.

Agreed - it does feel really different. I can’t see every video, obviously, but I really can’t recall seeing this before.

I hope reviewers and Youtubers alike really, really call this out. But at the end of the day, sales are gonna be crazy. But they also have to know sales would be even better if it didn't release in an embarrassing state. I just don't get it.

I feel like Game Freak has no choice but to patch it. The word is out and the videos going around are so bad.

To all of the people who used this game to take a shot at frontiers, this one’s for you lol

"Wow, people sure seem to be upset with the performance of our new game. You think it's a huge problem?"

checks sales numbers

"Naaaaaaah, it's fine like that"

This is what I'd expect from Game Freak's response to the current situation. Would love to be proven wrong.

Game Freak isn't going to leave it like this lol, at least in terms of graphical bugs.I expect at least one patch.
Yea I agree, this is on the level of the Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl remakes in terms of bugs it seems and that received patches if I recall correctly. At the very least, it sounds like the game crashes and I'd be very surprised and disappointed if things were left that way. Particularly since there is evidence that DLC is being planned for this as just like Sword and Shield, so there should still be active development on this title on that front.

It's not that surprising, this is easily the worst of their Switch releases in terms of tech and the one where the performance issues and glitches are most detrimental to the overall game experience. SwSh and Arceus aren't great but if there were any technical issues in those games they weren't nearly as widespread as they seem to be here.

It's not that surprising, this is easily the worst of their Switch releases in terms of tech and the one where the performance issues and glitches are most detrimental to the overall game experience. SwSh and Arceus aren't great but if there were any technical issues in those games they weren't nearly as widespread as they seem to be here.

SwSh and Arceus I was playing and thinking "well, these are ugly as sin but I can deal" but these are just so clearly bad I know I would just get mad playing it. I'm not even a Pokemon superfan, but I think I'm just angry cause it finally seems like a Pokemon game directed at me and I don't want to even play it, haha.

Im glad this thing is blowing up and that there is general consensus on the matter. I rolled my eyes at the dexit drama and those ugly trees, but this is something different. It would be like paying full price to see a film at the cinema only for the special effects to glitch all the time showing you the green background and the cinema’s machine malfunctioning from time to time. It just shouldnt happen. You can have as many cut corners as you want if the budget/time is limited, but these many glitches and performance issues should never have a pass. This is literally a game that needs time to be polished. No other Nintendo game feels like this, not even close.

Having said this Im liking the game a lot, and I prefer it over Sword/Shield, but it’s just baffling considering the amount of money they’re making with the games. Preorders in Japan are CRAZY and I expect it to sell equally as good in the west. Developers of the game truly deserve it for creating a very fun and charming experience, but the management does not deserve it at all for churning out half finished games just like this. I just hope management finds the backlash important enough, because at the end of the day they’re the ones making the decisions and the capitalist machine is, in fact, working better than ever.

I was willing to cut Sword and Shield some slack given the dev problems they had, and I was hopeful GameFreak were learning valuable lessons after the generally very good Arceus, but the moment they announced Scarlet and Violet were coming this year it was a huge red flag for me. I have, for the life of me, no idea why they didn't sit on Arceus for a bit longer and release it around now, and give Scarlet and Violet more time in the oven, 'especially' when they had the Diamond and Pearl Remakes this time last year. But seemingly it was a case of why wait on these games when we could be making money now?

It just typifies the Pokemon Company's attitude to making these games now. It's not about making them the best they can be, it's about getting them out in a passable state to keep the gravy train rolling. There is no excuse for a game as high profile and high budget to run like this, especially after Sword and Shield provided everyone with sufficient warning shots. And you can't blame the hardware when Xenoblade Chronicles 3 exists on the same system.

It's a testament to the core strength of the Pokemon formula that people continue to enjoy these games. And if you do end up enjoying Scarlet and Violet with warts and all then fair enough, but we should be demanding better from GameFreak and The Pokemon Company here, because why wouldn't you want these games to be the best they can be?

Unironically debating whether I should use my voucher for this or for LGPE. I'm seriously, seriously disappointed by the state that the game has shipped in.

I don't want too sound too dramatic over a "children's videogame", but people at the top of TPC/GF need to revaluate their development pipeline, cause this is awful for consumers and fans. I have to wonder if management actually feels like this is an acceptable product to sell.

Yea I agree, this is on the level of the Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl remakes in terms of bugs it seems and that received patches if I recall correctly. At the very least, it sounds like the game crashes and I'd be very surprised and disappointed if things were left that way. Particularly since there is evidence that DLC is being planned for this as just like Sword and Shield, so there should still be active development on this title on that front.
Honestly, this seems way worse than day 1 BDSP.

Edit: Also how awful is it that people are calling for GF to be replaced? I understand all of the disappointment, I too, am unhappy about the situation. But trashing the studio that made Pokémon what it is and that, for the most part, cares deeply about it, is just terrible.

Yeah I was definitely being a little dramatic lmao. I'll probably buy the game in a couple of hours.

Can't wait to complain about it later today! /s-ish

I've been playing for 2 hours and I've had no noticable issues.
Reading stuff like that is encouraging at least.

Some people are saying that many of the game's problems arise from a memory leak, so the simple act of closing down SV might alleviate the bugginess and jank (not the framerate though).

Quoted by: Leo
Scarlet and Violet's resolution is unnecessarily native. If they implement dynamic resolution, it'll solve plethora of problems. Many past bad performing Switch games got such patches, like Saints Row The Third and worked like charm.

GF seems to prioritize native resolution over other things, Arceus also ran at mostly 1080p. I think it's something to do with the children again (lol), but yeah, when the game performs this bad you can afford to have it at 900p or even 720p. 1080p games are rare on Switch these days, the children are used to it.

My girlfriend and I had it preordered but upon seeing the footage and all the glitches we decided to wait on the off chance there's a patch that fixes some of it. She's pretty bummed out about it because Pokémon is one of the few games she plays and we wanted to try co-op but alas.

Are you all sure that this game is 1080p? Im no expert, but I do see a difference in resolution in the overworld vs the rare inside spaces such as the house, the academy, etc. I would say the overworld is under 1080p almost all the time.

Quoted by: Leo
Are you all sure that this game is 1080p? Im no expert, but I do see a difference in resolution in the overworld vs the rare inside spaces such as the house, the academy, etc. I would say the overworld is under 1080p almost all the time.

It's dynamic 1080p

Scarlet and Violet's resolution is unnecessarily native. If they implement dynamic resolution, it'll solve plethora of problems. Many past bad performing Switch games got such patches, like Saints Row The Third and worked like charm.
Scarlet and Violet have dynamic resolution. In fact it can render the overworld at a lower res while rendering a model for a new dex entry for example at native res.

Scarlet and Violet have dynamic resolution. In fact it can render the overworld at a lower res while rendering a model for a new dex entry for example at native res.
That's not dynamic resolution, that's selective resolution. The overworld resolution never changes as you play it's always the same. Other games that have dynamic resolution this is very noticeable, like the recent games Sonic Frontiers and No Man's Sky. It gets very smudgy in demanding areas, but keeps the framerate up.

Pokémon does not do that and framerate chugs because of that. Arceus was the same. Good thing that this is a patchable thing.

Well there’s IGNs late review

For context, this means that they put

BDSP - 8
PLA - 7
SV - 6

Typically I’d respect that because, different folks different folks. But, in this case it was the same reviewer for all three so… I uh

BDSP was straight broken with it’s difficulty curve and engine, ugly and unambitious. No idea how it got that score relative to the others.

EDIT: tho I am fully in support of reviewers getting more time to review, especially with offline off pre launch

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom