• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Pokémon Scarlet & Pokémon Violet |ST| Who You Callin' Paldea, Friend?

The original post is removed. Not sure how much I trust a supposed email from a customer support rep
Go figure lol. I know it's nigh on foolishness to expect GameFreak to share an announcement acknowledging the technical performance and a patch coming out soon, but ffs

Sword and Shield got its first patch v1.1 on Jan 9th, 2020; I'm guessing that's probably the earliest we could expect similar (if at all)

Heading into the crater, and I’m not quite done yet, but this game really goes places huh? Especially considering it’s a freaking Pokémon game. Really interesting stuff, and also really makes me wonder how Scarlet plays out in this part of the game.
As I got near the bottom, some of the Pokemon I saw made me legit say wtf is happening (I have Scarlett, the one with the ponytail made me laugh hard). And then the final sequence at the bottom was such a left-turn I just kept thinking yeah that came out of nowhere. Still enjoyed it though.

I very much love that trainers don't auto-challenge you if you walk into their line of sight. Allowed me to quote unquote sequence break and grab an ice stone to evolve my Eevee, without worrying about being mowed down by someone with level 50s.

Allowed me to quote unquote sequence break and grab an ice stone
I know you're joking but but I see this stuff so much and it always bugs me

[climbs over wall] "Ohhh shit I just sequence broke!!!"

where did this term come from? shouldn't it be just "broke sequence"?

I know you're joking but but I see this stuff so much and it always bugs me

[climbs over wall] "Ohhh shit I just sequence broke!!!"

where did this term come from? shouldn't it be just "broke sequence"?
According to the world's most reliable source, Wikipedia, the term originates from a forum post about a skip in Metroid Prime

Hehehe, I made that post earlier about not having to face trainers with high levels, and I obviously took a wrong turn somewhere, because I faced someone with level 50's while I'm in my low 30's. Still won though through pure brute force.

Late game spoilers
Someone pointed out to me how Penny sends out Umbreon first to show an edgy dark brooding boss persona but at the end of the battle she sends out Sylveon to show her true self. I'm not crying you're crying. Definitely a trans character. No one can convince me otherwise

Lol I just did a raid online where everyone was using Azumarill

Still got our asses handed to us. Moxie will do that to you I guess

The new mons grew on me a lot; I went from "don't know who I actually want on my squad" to "don't know how I'm gonna choose for my final six", though right now the team is kind of locked in. I'm probably gonna swap 1/2 elements when I reach area zero and paradox forms (got spoiled on Salamence and it looks as amazing as I expected it to be, even if it's post-game). I guess I could sort of have a two team set-up for an eventual DLC ahah.

I also just got done with the last medals, now I just need to complete the epilogues for each path (the league, etc..). I'm assuming the fourth one unlocks when you complete every "last chapter" right?

Last edited:
Maybe today will be the day I pay attention to the story again and do my.... checks notes... third gym

Quoted by: Leo
Maybe today will be the day I pay attention to the story again and do my.... checks notes... third gym

I know right lol I have no idea when I'm gonna finish this game, I always boot it up planning to do the next gym and end up roaming aimlessly for like 3h before my daily playtime runs out.

Finished the game! Overall gen 9 is actually quite good, despite the rough first impression from performance issues.

My biggest issue is the removal of set battling as an option, and the lack of level scaling (think it would have been cool if the story scaled based on how much you completed). There's not even a battle tower, as far as I can tell. They either really don't want people who want a challenge to have any options, or they just don't think about this stuff.

Beyond that though, fantastic music, I loved the characters a lot, and some of the new mons are genuinely some of my favorites ever.

Really hope they smooth it out and add some meaningful DLC!

Finished the game! Overall gen 9 is actually quite good, despite the rough first impression from performance issues.

My biggest issue is the removal of set battling as an option, and the lack of level scaling (think it would have been cool if the story scaled based on how much you completed). There's not even a battle tower, as far as I can tell. They either really don't want people who want a challenge to have any options, or they just don't think about this stuff.

Beyond that though, fantastic music, I loved the characters a lot, and some of the new mons are genuinely some of my favorites ever.

Really hope they smooth it out and add some meaningful DLC!

Even more egregious than removing set as an option for me was removing turn off animations lol

I suspect they think most people who want a challenge will just play against people online. While I would actually encourage anyone who wants a more challenging Pokémon experience to give competitive a go, it's obviously not for everyone, and the removal of options is totally asinine

Very weird to have a Pokémon game inviting even minor comparisons to (I'm spoiling this to be safe, but it's there in the background from basically the beginning) Made in Abyss. Certainly not unwelcome, but very unexpected.

The game is objectively a mess, and there are definitely a bunch of design decisions I don't love, but it's a pretty huge step up from Sword and Shield. The narrative is surprisingly strong, too. I seriously identify with Penny's whole introvert weeb hacker vibe.

So I've noticed that turning on Airplane mode during an online raid doesn't kick you out, even if you're a guest - it just turns the other players into NPCs. I've had to do this twice when the raid just froze

This could even be a viable strategy, since fellow players can be a mixed bag at raids whereas the NPC AI is surprisingly solid (certainly a huge step up over SwSh). The main issue with NPCs is usually their poor choice of Pokémon, which is (usually...) alleviated when a real person has chosen it

So I've noticed that turning on Airplane mode during an online raid doesn't kick you out, even if you're a guest - it just turns the other players into NPCs. I've had to do this twice when the raid just froze

This could even be a viable strategy, since fellow players can be a mixed bag at raids whereas the NPC AI is surprisingly solid (certainly a huge step up over SwSh). The main issue with NPCs is usually their poor choice of Pokémon, which is (usually...) alleviated when a real person has chosen it
That's actually amazing and will save me many battles, thanks!

First update to fix some bugs tomorrow

• Ver. 1.1.0 (Releasing December 1, 2022)​

• Season 1 of Ranked Battles will kick off, allowing you to enjoy Ranked Battles through the Battle Stadium.
      • Please check the in-game notice for more details about Ranked Battles Season 1.
    • An issue has been fixed that caused the music to not play correctly during the battles with the Elite Four and the Top Champion in the Victory Road path.
    • Other select bug fixes have been made.
  • We are aware that players may encounter issues that affect the games' performance. Our goal is always to give players a positive experience with our games, and we apologize for the inconvenience. We take the feedback from players seriously and are working on improvements to the games.

FYI felt this was thread worthy since there has been a ton of speculation on how they will / won’t address this, to contain that discussion!

This is sort of a response to all of your posts on this, not this specific one, but here's a summary:

-Since Pokemon didn't previously appear in the overworld, you had to actually do into battle (or hatch an egg) to see a Pokemon at all.
-Some games - I believe specifically the 3DS ones? - introduced weirdly specific methods of raising the shiny encounter rate that would give some indication of a shiny from the overworld, but generally speaking you were already shiny hunting if you were seeing this.
-Upon entering battle with a shiny, there'd be a little animation/noise. Other than the palette difference, this was your only indication most of the time.

Part of the problem is that the system was originally designed with random encounters in mind. Now that we have overworld Pokemon on the Switch, the rules have changed, and Game Freak has yet to decide on a system.

-Let's Go showed shiny Pokemon with sparkles.

-Sword and Shield gave no indication prior to entering battle.

-Legends: Arceus returned to showing them in the overworld (pretty much necessarily, due to the lack of camera cuts when entering a battle and the fact that battling is optional entirely) with sparkles and a sound effect. I'm not sure if Let's Go had the sound, but it's very important in Arceus due to the free camera (as the sparkle can occur off-screen).

And now they seem settled on keeping them in the overworld but removed the obvious indicator. Presumably, this back and forth has been due to the change overworld Pokemon have in the perceived rarity of shinies. You're effectively churning through way  more encounters than in the pre-Switch days - and thus more likely to run into a shiny on sheer volume - and Game Freak appears to be trying to balance that without changing the shiny encounter rate directly. Anecdotally I'm seeing a crazy number of shiny Pokemon caught from these games, despite the fact that the rate is the same 1/4096 it's been since gen 6.

As for your suggestion on identifying them being part of the fun, I agree - but due to the way the Pokedex works, I understand why everyone wouldn't be happy about having to spot a subtle difference themselves when there's not even a reference to look at until after you've battled the shiny variant at least once.

There's also an accessibility component here. I wouldn't be shocked if a colorblind person who can't easily the difference between regular and shiny - say, Pikachu - would still want a shiny one.
Yeah, I don't think it's especially hard to imagine how they ended up at the system for how SV signals shiny Pokémon, but, from my admittedly biased perspective, the results leave a bit to be desired. You end up with a system where, for example, a shiny Ursaring is almost impossible to miss, while even identifying that a Tynamo is present, let alone shiny, can be a real challenge. While one could view the shiny ping in Arceus as making things too easy or just a necessary compromise for a game where explicit encounters aren't required, it did at least make things fairly consistent, no matter what the lighting was doing, how big the Pokémon was, or how subtle the shiny colors were.

I've been just listening to Pokemon music across all the games for the past two days or so because of how rad the soundtrack is here. Man, some of these themes go hard and it's a shame you only encounter them once in the entire game. Someone should make a Pokemon rhythm game like Theatrhythm and right this wrong.

Two things happened today:

The games got a patch with some bugfixes.

And i finally understood the thread's subtitle.

Post news about the patch in a "friend group" chat
Barrage of posts about how they shouldn't release new features like ranked until they "make the game playable"
People that haven't touched the game and very loudly won't touch it because "Game Freak has lost their touch, this is unacceptable" saying that they will still not touch the game because this is unacceptable

Did you guys know releasing games in a buggy state is bad but patching them is even worse?

Gravity doesn't have a grace window 😅

This is more like you will gradually lose height and then suddenly start falling rapidly.
I legit thought that the gliding would be upgraded with a titan, just like you can run faster after defeating the first one. Im so bummed, I actually enjoy exploring Paldea and Id love to be able to fly over it jumping off a high mountain :(

I legit thought that the gliding would be upgraded with a titan, just like you can run faster after defeating the first one. Im so bummed, I actually enjoy exploring Paldea and Id love to be able to fly over it jumping off a high mountain :(
Same, that's what I thought the last upgrade would be.

More NSO icons are up :) Not sure how recent, but I'm rocking Pawmi now

one of the new borders + backgrounds is like the outside of a pokeball too, perfect

I for one am glad that they didn't give you flight in the worst performing open world of recent memory

Some post-game speculation for future DLC Pokemon:
I wonder if the "third Legendary", the disk/orb Pokemon mentioned in the Scarlet/Violet book, will have it's own ability to set a different field effect (maybe it's own suite of Paradox Pokemon that benefit too).

It would be cool to get a Pokemon that sets Tailwind, or Gravity, or even Trick Room upon entry, though it could be seen as too strong, especially Trick Room. That said, looking at Calyrex I don't know that they're that worried about that for Restricted DLC Pokemon lol.

So to evolve Finizen I need to play in someone else's world, right? I can't find a way to do that with random people, is there a group here on Fami? I never play anything online except for Mario Kart, I don't understand how anything works lol

Bit annoyed that the first season disallows paradox and ruinous mons, since that makes half the team I was building illegal. Like, the restriction is whatever, but more notice would be nice. I guess I'll just go with some rental teams while I get a feel for the meta, then build my own team.

So to evolve Finizen I need to play in someone else's world, right? I can't find a way to do that with random people, is there a group here on Fami? I never play anything online except for Mario Kart, I don't understand how anything works lol
You could check in the Trading thread, folks tend to be more responsive to online play there.

Finizen's evolution also can appear in Raids, though the silhouette is the same so you might have to go in and check if you're just looking for dex completion.

Bit annoyed that the first season disallows paradox and ruinous mons, since that makes half the team I was building illegal. Like, the restriction is whatever, but more notice would be nice. I guess I'll just go with some rental teams while I get a feel for the meta, then build my own team.
I think the first seasons of Sun and Moon were the same, so it has precedent.

It just didn't come up in Sword and Shield because there weren't any applicable Pokemon in the "sublegend and sublegend adjacent category".

Kind of a weird distinction because Pseudo-Legendaries are legal and almost all better, but these Pokemon aren't breedable so they may want the playing field to be a bit more even for the beginning of the ladder.

Yeah I'm around if you are, lmk

Quoted by: Leo
So apparently you don't get a time penalty when your NPCs are knocked out in raids - that's why playing with NPCs seems mostly better than with people. I highly recommend everyone use Iron Hands, Level 100, Hyper Trained in HP/Atk/Def/SpDef, Adamant nature, with Belly Drum, Drain Punch, and Thunder Punch (fourth move doesn't matter too much) and holding the Punching Glove. You'll be able to solo 6-star raids with ease (except for Ghost Tera type)

EDIT: Full moveset from Serebii:

Moves
Dragon Pulse
Fire Blast
Hurricane
Focus Blast
Additional Moves
Overheat
Tera Blast
Sunny Day
Inferno

Seems like Dachsbun walls this completely. I think the set is:

Dachsbun @ Ability Shield
Ability: Well-Baked Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 208 SpD / 44 Spe
Adamant Nature
  • Yawn (Host) / Helping Hand (Joiners)
  • Howl
  • Play Rough
  • Charm

Also are we gonna do a separate thread for putting together squads?

Last edited:
Yeah....that raid is hot garbage. Like raids are a mess with how the turns go. This takes it to another level and quite frankly, if your timer drops to about when 20-30 seconds are left, you've lost cause Charizard's health gets filled back to 40% or whatever.

The health Charizard gets is crazy. The game just rejuvenates the bitch when it's about to die haha.

Lowkey I'm getting turned off by the 5 and 6 star raids too. I'm just trying to get herba mystica for my sandwiches.

EDIT: Full moveset from Serebii:

Moves
Dragon Pulse
Fire Blast
Hurricane
Focus Blast
Additional Moves
Overheat
Tera Blast
Sunny Day
Inferno

Seems like Dachsbun walls this completely. I think the set is:

Dachsbun @ Ability Shield
Ability: Well-Baked Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 208 SpD / 44 Spe
Adamant Nature
  • Yawn (Host) / Helping Hand (Joiners)
  • Howl
  • Play Rough
  • Charm

Also are we gonna do a separate thread for putting together squads?

Kinda want to have a metagame thread in general

Back
Top Bottom