• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Rumour Pokémon Scarlet and Violet Leaks/Spoilers

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair SwSh didn't even review that well, the game barely crawled to an 80 on Metacritic which is pretty mid by today's standards.

But hey, if you want impressions by people who played it and aren't in any way paid for it, there should be enough on reddit and twitter as the game has been both street date broken and it's roms leaked.
Shouldn't be too difficult to look for some more.

But something tells me Heron told you exactly what you might've wanted to hear? ;]
this sure turned insulting quick

I just want to point out some of what people might have missed from my first posts:

People are going to love the immediate freedom in this game; the school setting is good; the "friend/rival" characters are as good as they've ever been, the pokemon designs are great; running and jumping around on Koraidon/Miraidon is fun; the lack of level scaling somewhat unintuitively means that you can run into enjoyably difficult battles as often as facile ones; terrastalizing pokemon is a decent gimmick; and the game NAILS the last three hours. Honestly, the last boss is sick.

The last boss is a time-travelling killer android dressed as a sexy scientist cavewoman who is based on your buddy's dead mom who runs a time machine and is set to eliminate you if you try to shut it down, even though she wants you to shut it down

It's not the game we were hoping for post-Arceus. It feels as rushed and "Game Freak-y" as ever. But you will have fun running around catching them all. I don't regret my purchase.

EDIT: Also should mention for Persona fans that you can build up relationships with the teachers and I swear it feels like you'll be able to date the school nurse lol

Last edited:
It's not the game we were hoping for post-Arceus. It feels as rushed and "Game Freak-y" as ever. But you will have fun running around catching them all. I don't regret my purchase.
I mean, I don't want a rushed game or anything, but I feel like this depends a whole lot on how much you liked Arceus. I thought it was fine, a good idea even for a while, but I very quickly lost interest due to the (lack of) battling and combat changes, and the overall lack of anything to do other than catch Pokemon. So to me, this game already seems like I'll like it quite a bit more. That remains to be seen of course, but I'm pretty optimistic based on everything I've heard.

Anyway, I'm back with some screenshots from my playthrough. These look much better on my laptop than they did on my 65' C1. And I do think a lot of people will prefer to play this game handheld for image quality purposes. Obviously there's some compression going on here but I think it's a fair representation.

Images that show the visual quality of the game world at a distance:
(You can really see on the bottom right of the 5th image where the "close and detailed" area ends and the LoD begins. Click through to that image to get it full size and look at the state of that bridge)

(If there's a better way to embed / post these let me know)

But when everything is up close it can look just fine. Even attractive, considering the low image quality:

And there's nothing wrong with battles:

Bonuses (pretty much ALL spoilers):

1. Bizarrely, there are clothes shops everywhere but you can never take off your school uniform. It's the weirdest thing.
2. BEST new pokemon. Slays Corviknights, slays dragons, beat the final boss's final boss pokemon. Best girl.
3. The elite 4 is so bad. It's just this blue room, and each enters and fights, all to a droning beat with no melody. Bad.
4. This is the "overly enthusiastic rival" like Hau or Barry, but done right. Very likeable character, good battles. Well done.
5. In a game that already had strong Harry Potter vibes with the school theme, this was just on the nose! Straight out of a Potter movie.
6. The final boss I mentioned earlier.

I mean, I don't want a rushed game or anything, but I feel like this depends a whole lot on how much you liked Arceus. I thought it was fine, a good idea even for a while, but I very quickly lost interest due to the (lack of) battling and combat changes, and the overall lack of anything to do other than catch Pokemon. So to me, this game already seems like I'll like it quite a bit more. That remains to be seen of course, but I'm pretty optimistic based on everything I've heard.
Sure. I judge these games purely as single player RPGs. For many people they're much more. I get that.

Last edited:
Anyway, I'm back with some screenshots from my playthrough. These look much better on my laptop than they did on my 65' C1. And I do think a lot of people will prefer to play this game handheld for image quality purposes. Obviously there's some compression going on here but I think it's a fair representation.

(You can really see on the bottom right of the 5th image where the "close and detailed" area ends and the LoD begins. Click through to that image to get it full size and look at the state of that bridge)

But when everything is up close it can look just fine. Even attractive, considering the low image quality:

1. Bizarrely, there are clothes shops everywhere but you can never take off your school uniform. It's the weirdest thing.
2. BEST new pokemon. Slays Corviknights, slays dragons, beat the final boss's final boss pokemon. Best girl.
3. The elite 4 is so bad. It's just this blue room, and each enters and fights, all to a droning beat with no melody. Bad.
4. This is the "overly enthusiastic rival" like Hau or Barry, but done right. Very likeable character, good battles. Well done.
5. In a game that already had strong Harry Potter vibes with the school theme, this was just on the nose! Straight out of a Potter movie.

Sure. I judge these games purely as single player RPGs. For many people they're much more. I get that.

One thing I noticed with Nemona when I watched some gameplay is that she occasionally will say phrases in Spanish. Do other characters do this, or is it just her?

One thing I noticed with Nemona when I watched some gameplay is that she occasionally will say phrases in Spanish. Do other characters do this, or is it just her?
A couple people will say "tome ya" or some such (no idea what that means lol) but it's mostly just her.

To be honest, the Spanish vibe is very, very superficial here. Far more superficial than Kalos, which felt at least a bit like France, and wherever SS was, which felt even more like the UK.

If you didn't know the area was supposed to be based on spain I think you'd have a hard time figuring it out.

I think that looks not half bad, considering. But then I didn't think Legends Arceus looked all that bad either.

@Heron Do any characters from previous games appear for a short cameo? Like how Anabel and Colress randomly appeared in Alola.
Not so far, but I have no idea how much post-game content there might be. So far all I've done is beat all 8 gym leaders again to enable a school tournament with all the teachers in it.

I know I can battle the star bases again but haven't yet. And amazingly (and I love this) I haven't seen any sign of a single legendary pokemon yet. (Given Koraidon isn't really a legendary by story canon - story-wise Koraidon evolves into Cyclizar which evolve into Miraidon and there are tons of each, in the game obviously those evolutionary lines are broken due to the time difference. In fact, humorously enough your Koraidon is a little bitch apparently lol)

So I'm sure there are legendaries - I've been plucking dark sealing stakes from the ground and found a sealed door which I reckon has something to do with it. Maybe there's some story related content there.

Short answer: Almost definitely not but can't confirm.

Not so far, but I have no idea how much post-game content there might be. So far all I've done is beat all 8 gym leaders again to enable a school tournament with all the teachers in it.

I know I can battle the star bases again but haven't yet. And amazingly (and I love this) I haven't seen any sign of a single legendary pokemon yet. (Given Koraidon isn't really a legendary by story canon - story-wise Koraidon evolves into Cyclizar which evolve into Miraidon and there are tons of each, in the game obviously those evolutionary lines are broken due to the time difference. In fact, humorously enough your Koraidon is a little bitch apparently lol)

So I'm sure there are legendaries - I've been plucking dark sealing stakes from the ground and found a sealed door which I reckon has something to do with it. Maybe there's some story related content there.

Short answer: Almost definitely not but can't confirm.

Aight, thanks.
Seems like GF really erased Looker from existence. Second gen in a row where he doesn't appear (unless you'll meet him late in the post-game).

I just got the game a couple of hours ago and I must say that all the snappiness and responsiveness (even in the camera and character movement) from Arceus are absent here. It feels somewhat clunky, I was unpleasantly surprised. On the other hand, I thought it was gonna look uglier, so that’s good.

I just got the game a couple of hours ago and I must say that all the snappiness and responsiveness (even in the camera and character movement) from Arceus are absent here. It feels somewhat clunky, I was unpleasantly surprised. On the other hand, I thought it was gonna look uglier, so that’s good.
Talk about damning with faint praise, jeezalou

From everything reading here the game still sounds like a big step up from sword and shield and honestly I did enjoy those games.

The big pitfalls for me in pokemon were mostly an annoying story and a way to easy difficulty. Overall those seem to be fixed.

But in all honesty I don't expect an amazing rpg. I don't expect a dragon quest 11 or a xenoblade. Pokemon games are mostly just casual fun. A good relaxing time and a huge timesink in the end if you want to go competetive or shiny hunt.

What's everyone's gut feelings on the final MC score? I'm thinking around an 80; the Pokemon gameplay loop is still as good as usual, writing seems to be strong, and the lack of railroading will definitely be appreciated but the game's fear of fully committing to open-ended design, missing improvements from Arceus such as battle pacing, and especially performance will ultimately restrain scores

What's everyone's gut feelings on the final MC score? I'm thinking around an 80; the Pokemon gameplay loop is still as good as usual, writing seems to be strong, and the lack of railroading will definitely be appreciated but the game's fear of fully committing to open-ended design, missing improvements from Arceus such as battle pacing, and especially performance will ultimately restrain scores
I’m going with 83

I think that might be a bit high but I’m gonna be optimistic.

Edit: Arceus got an 83? I find that personally offensive! It might be my GOTY!

I've had a copy since monday and I think the game will be received pretty well if only because it's a pretty large step up from SWSH (IMO). The characters you encounter are actually pretty fun and while the writing is still Pokemon it's a lot better than Sworld/Shield's and there's some pretty touching scenarios. Personally I really like the new Pokemon too, these two things will carry the game for the larger fandom by itself.

Open world is pedestrian as fuck to put it bluntly, it's visually unimpressive, there's nothing to significant to do or explore outside of the occasional terastalized Pokemon or finding some rarer TMs. There's some cool areas but they're rare and I really wish the Pokemon were placed more naturally rather than just being tossed all over the place just waddling around in huge groups, it looks weird. It also becomes really empty feeling once you clean out all the trainers and find most of the TMs. It needed random events or something. You can tell stuff was held back for DLC big time.

I managed to keep the game challenging throughout with the endgame (haven't done any postgame) trainers actually being legitimate fights but I had to go to some pretty extreme lengths to keep myself below the curve and not immediately become really overpowered. If you want a challenge and dislike the affection mechanic from BDSP I would highly recommend to not engage with picnics at all till postgame. If you really want an okay challenge you need to look up the order of the gyms.

Overall I had a lot of fun so far though, which is a good feeling as a giga SWSH h8er who felt he was done with Pokemon entirely at some point.

Alot better than SWSH but still just okay is enough for me to keep my preorder, I suppose
I managed to keep the game challenging throughout with the endgame (haven't done any postgame) trainers actually being legitimate fights but I had to go to some pretty extreme lengths to keep myself below the curve and not immediately become really overpowered. If you want a challenge and dislike the affection mechanic from BDSP I would highly recommend to not engage with picnics at all till postgame. If you really want an okay challenge you need to look up the order of the gyms
Breeding is done through the picnics, so does that mean you can’t breed anything without building affection? That sounds like an issue if you want to get some eggs from your starter…

Overall I had a lot of fun so far though, which is a good feeling as a giga SWSH h8er who felt he was done with Pokemon entirely at some point.
As someone who largely aligns with the bolded this is great to hear. On top of the overwhelming praise for the final story, I might get SV after all

I skipped SwSh and BDSP so hopefully my expectations are sufficiently low enough to enjoy this
Breeding is done through the picnics, so does that mean you can’t breed anything without building affection? That sounds like an issue if you want to get some eggs from your starter…
Isn't affection the same meter as standard friendship now? Worst case you can feed your starter bitter herbs and then breed the offspring afterward

Alot better than SWSH but still just okay is enough for me to keep my preorder, I suppose

I'm sure it's possible to drop the affection, and I can't actually say if it's as bad as in BDSP because I just never bothered with picnics. Overall I wouldn't really recommend jumping through as many hoops to keep the game somewhat challenging as I did, save that for a later playthrough.

I think it'll start around the mid 80s then settle on like 83ish if I had to guess.

Despite them being very shoddy, i still had a lot of fun with ShSw, so all these impressions have absolutely sold me on the game.

Any impressions from non competitive players? I have played pretty much all of the mainline games but never have invested the time in being competitive. I basically just create a team of cool looking Pokemon and go from there. I don't even concern myself with eggs and breeding or anything beyond a simple turn based game. I understand I am missing out, but this is how I enjoy them! Anyway, is S/V still a good game for plebs like me?

Any impressions from non competitive players? I have played pretty much all of the mainline games but never have invested the time in being competitive. I basically just create a team of cool looking Pokemon and go from there. I don't even concern myself with eggs and breeding or anything beyond a simple turn based game. I understand I am missing out, but this is how I enjoy them! Anyway, is S/V still a good game for plebs like me?
Absolutely nothing wrong with enjoying the games without getting into the competitive side - I daresay that would be the case for the majority of people here tbh

By all accounts, you should have a great time. Sounds like the characters and story are good, the new Pokémon designs are mostly excellent (subjective of course, but seems to be a common opinion), and... I mean, come on, it's open world Pokémon, it's gonna be fun

Btw. someone in the other forum found/compiled a list for a level-based "progression" for the games.
Putting it in spoilers just to be safe.

And it looks like it's missing everything after a certain point.

Katy (Bug Gym) lvl 15
Klawf (Rock Titan) lvl 16
Brassius (Grass Gym) lvl 17
Bombirdier (Flying Titan) lvl 19
Giancomo (Dark Team Star) lvl 21
Iono (Electric Gym) lvl 24
Mela (Fire Team Star) lvl 27
Orthworm (Steel Titan) lvl 28
Kofu (Water Gym) lvl 30
Atticus (Poison Team Star) lvl 33
Larry (Normal Gym) lvl 36
Ryme (Ghost Gym) lvl 42
Great Tusk/Iron Treads (Ground Titan) lvl 44
Tulip (Psychic Gym) lvl 45
Grusha (Ice Gym) lvl 48
Ortega (Fairy Team Star) lvl 51
Tatsugiri (Dragon Titan) lvl 55
Eri (Fighting Team Star) lvl 56
Elite Four

Absolutely nothing wrong with enjoying the games without getting into the competitive side - I daresay that would be the case for the majority of people here tbh

By all accounts, you should have a great time. Sounds like the characters and story are good, the new Pokémon designs are mostly excellent (subjective of course, but seems to be a common opinion), and... I mean, come on, it's open world Pokémon, it's gonna be fun
Thanks for the reassuring words! I am pretty excited for this, based off what I have seen. One thing that that's not 100% clear - you can follow 1 of 3 campaigns or roads. However, if you pick one, are you gated from the other two? (i.e., if I pick Victory Road, can I not participate in the Legends research route?). I was referencing this video:

Thanks for the reassuring words! I am pretty excited for this, based off what I have seen. One thing that that's not 100% clear - you can follow 1 of 3 campaigns or roads. However, if you pick one, are you gated from the other two? (i.e., if I pick Victory Road, can I not participate in the Legends research route?). I was referencing this video:

No no, you have to do all three to finish the game lol

Btw. someone in the other forum found/compiled a list for a level-based "progression" for the games.
Putting it in spoilers just to be safe.

And it looks like it's missing everything after a certain point.

Katy (Bug Gym) lvl 15
Klawf (Rock Titan) lvl 16
Brassius (Grass Gym) lvl 17
Bombirdier (Flying Titan) lvl 19
Giancomo (Dark Team Star) lvl 21
Iono (Electric Gym) lvl 24
Mela (Fire Team Star) lvl 27
Orthworm (Steel Titan) lvl 28
Kofu (Water Gym) lvl 30
Atticus (Poison Team Star) lvl 33
Larry (Normal Gym) lvl 36
Ryme (Ghost Gym) lvl 42
Great Tusk/Iron Treads (Ground Titan) lvl 44
Tulip (Psychic Gym) lvl 45
Grusha (Ice Gym) lvl 48
Ortega (Fairy Team Star) lvl 51
Tatsugiri (Dragon Titan) lvl 55
Eri (Fighting Team Star) lvl 56
Elite Four
Elite Four are 56-59. Victory Road, Team Star and Path bosses are 60-63, Victory Road being the highest on average. The actual titans can be done much earlier than you'd think because of how the fights are structured though.

Last edited:
Elite Four are 56-59. Champion, Team Star and Titan Path bosses are 60-63, Titan Path being the highest on average. The actual titans can be done much earlier than you'd think because of how the fights are structured though.

Just to clarify, the stuff you posted is the stuff that's missing in the list i posted, yes?

Just to clarify, the stuff you posted is the stuff that's missing in the list i posted, yes?
Some of it yeah, it's also from memory because you can't rebattle most of these so I could be off by like a level here or there.

I can confirm some of the postgame levels too:
The gym rematches are level 66, Starbase rematches 65. Final postgame boss is 66. That covers all but one thing I haven't tried yet, but I think most of the postgame is around level 65 anyways.

Centro yesterday, Palkia Origin today. Nintendo ninjas coming hard.

Unfortunately they haven't taken Khu down. I don't know if I can handle another leak season full of his vile behavior.

Centro yesterday, Palkia Origin today. Nintendo ninjas coming hard.

Unfortunately they haven't taken Khu down. I don't know if I can handle another leak season full of his vile behavior.

Are a little bit late to the party, them Ninjas, no?

What are the best resources for non-Smogon metagames like VGC or Battle Spot Singles these days? Looking to do some competitive this gen but I stick to the cartridge formats.

What are the best resources for non-Smogon metagames like VGC or Battle Spot Singles these days? Looking to do some competitive this gen but I stick to the cartridge formats.
Pikalytics is usually pretty great for popular builds and spreads, VGCguide is also a decent site if you're just getting started.

Victory Road does coverage.

There are other sites out there as well, it's not super centralized.

Caught the four legendaries. Pretty cool. As far as I can tell that's it. Post-game over. There's not much there, but I don't mind.

Post-game is:
Rebattle gym leaders
School tournament
Rebattle team star
Find binding stakes to release four legendaries and catch them

Total time: 40 hours. Pokemon caught: 310/400 (actually 378 available I think)

Having gotten used to Scarlet and enjoyed it but remembering I thought Arceus was far better at first I went back to play 15 minutes of Arceus again to compare. And holy SHIT did it immediately hit me how much better that game is. Just.... by miles. The only way I can describe the difference in craftsmanship is that it's like a senior and junior dev teams made the two games, it's that apparent.

I'm not talking about gameplay decisions or battle systems here - I'm talking about gamefeel, UI, map, camera, performance - all the little things that make you say "this is a high-quality game". We really need side by side gifs of performance, of how battles flow, of the way lock-on works between them. Things of that nature.

Caught the four legendaries. Pretty cool. As far as I can tell that's it. Post-game over. There's not much there, but I don't mind.

Post-game is:
Rebattle gym leaders
School tournament
Rebattle team star
Find binding stakes to release four legendaries and catch them

Total time: 40 hours. Pokemon caught: 310/400 (actually 378 available I think)

Having gotten used to Scarlet and enjoyed it but remembering I thought Arceus was far better at first I went back to play 15 minutes of Arceus again to compare. And holy SHIT did it immediately hit me how much better that game is. Just.... by miles. The only way I can describe the difference in craftsmanship is that it's like a senior and junior dev teams made the two games, it's that apparent.

I'm not talking about gameplay decisions or battle systems here - I'm talking about gamefeel, UI, map, camera, performance - all the little things that make you say "this is a high-quality game". We really need side by side gifs of performance, of how battles flow, of the way lock-on works between them. Things of that nature.
Interesting. Thanks for the write up. Was it hard to get that high of a % for the Regional Dex?

No offense to Heron, but it feels like the main problem is that there was an expectation that ScarVio are like Arceus

It seems like their expectation was that S/V are like all of the past games when it comes to exploration

That's super interesting... I wonder what the break up of the actual dev teams was like that lead to this

Interesting. Thanks for the write up. Was it hard to get that high of a % for the Regional Dex?
Not at all. All I did was say "think I haven't caught that one yet" and catch it. Only exception was going hunting for the last two/three paradox pokemon in the post-game. I'd say the last 50-60 pokemon would be mostly those I haven't evolved and then some that are harder to find - I caught 3 eeveelutions but I know the rest are out there - all appear to be rare-ish spawns with the exception of Vaporeon who was everywhere lol

That's super interesting... I wonder what the break up of the actual dev teams was like that lead to this
It wouldn't surprise me if they put younger talent on the Arceus team and if they had some help from BotW UI staff. It feels like a more modern game unburdened by the conventions of old pokemon games with such a heavy emphasis on recreating BotW's gamefeel. Scarlet very much feels like a large open world game made by the exact same people who made the Sword/Shield wild areas - very similar gamefeel.

But who knows. Maybe the guys who peep the credits will be able to tell us.

Hopefully given a few patches Scarlet can get to that level - but given Game Freak's history I doubt it. With some performance patches and DLC content to add things to the open world this really could be the best pokemon game.

As for the visuals. For the first few switch games, i was willing to give game freak the benfit of the doubt. They were still relatively new to making console Pokémon games. and i understand that legends arceus, and s/v, are the first true open 3d Pokémon games they’ve made. However, even understanding game freaks lack of technical expertise for now, i cant help but feel that Pokémon as a franchise deserves better. Yes the hardware is part of the issue, but game freaks lack of console game experience is proving to be just as much of an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom