• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Rumour Pokémon Scarlet and Violet Leaks/Spoilers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Minigames 👀

But you see people in this thread disappointed that there isn't more of a focus on battles in the games that currently exist, this could be where that comes from.
There is a not-insignificant group of people who would kill for more Stadium minigames.

The problem is that the overlap of casual minigames and competitive battle game doesn't make a ton of sense. It worked for the original Stadiums because it was our first foray into 3D.

My main idea for a "battle hub" would be to roll it into Pokémon Home. Add a battle sim in there that lets you use any Pokémon that you've transferred in, letting all of the mechanics from all of the games combine into one wacky metagame. Maybe even have special rules to play for each generation like Showdown allows. If they think letting you customize all Pokemon would be too much, have it so that you can only customize Pokémon registered in the Pokedexes of the games you've linked to the account. Bam, now home has a greater purpose other than a cloud storage solution.

Last edited:
Best chance to have Stadium like minigames again would be a Pokémon board game like Mario Party. That would be huge, but it's also a bit unlikely with MP being a huge seller now, Pokémon would canibalize it.

I go back and forth over how disappointed I am in the lack of battle facility. On the one hand, it's less content, and it means that competitive has no offline counterpart, so it might make it harder to jump into. On the other hand, no more BP grinding (you can just buy all the items for a fairly reasonable price), and let's be honest, the AI was never really good enough for the battle tower to ever be that fun or that much of a challenge

I do hope in the DLC they add something like what they did in Isle of Armor, where it's competitive-style battles with no healing in between. That was a fun challenge

I will say, going from only a Battle Facility to hurts nowhere near as badly as going from the 2D games used to have to just the Battle Facilities/Maisons

I think you missed a word or two and I'm not quite sure what you're saying lol

Oof

I will say, going from only a Battle Facility to nothing hurts nowhere near as badly as going from what the 2D games used to have to just the Battle Facilities/Maisons

I feel the main draw of having a Showdown-like "Stadium" game with battles only would mostly be splitting apart the competitive side to its own game that they can maintain and balance separately, being able to dedicate more time to the adventure portion of the actual adventure games.

Sort of how Home having the GTS means they technically wouldn't have to spend time on making a GTS in each game. It also would allow for making story mons be absolutely broken in their respective games, but be balanced different for competitive multiplayer.

It would also mean having all pokemon available since they can rebalance, patch, animate, and do whatever with them, without it affecting the main game, or having to make animations of every single pokemon eating sandwiches.

There is a not-insignificant group of people who would kill for more Stadium minigames.

The problem is that the overlap of casual minigames and competitive battle game doesn't make a ton of sense. It worked for the original Stadiums because it was our first foray into 3D.
I think it makes just as much sense as it did back then-- gives casual players a reason to care and gives the game some variety. Also it would be expected and welcomed.

Hoo boy, the new egg move mechanic is huge. You can use the Mirror Herb while picnicking to pass an egg move from any Pokémon to any Pokémon, no breeding required. Between that and just being able to buy mints and bottle caps, SV is getting serious about letting people make competitive teams easily from scratch.
I do think there is potential for a Stadium 3 (probably more similar to a Battle Revolution 2), especially one divorced of the mainline games than leans on HOME connectivity.

I don't think they would do it, because like folks have said, it's a bit redundant. They would need some sort of additional concept to make it compelling.
What if they added a separate RPG to it? You could make it a more challenging game to appeal to players who enjoy the challenge of battling, and they could sweeten the deal by letting you catch Pokémon that wouldn't otherwise be easy to obtain on current hardware. We know Game Freak's all about doubles as the main competitive format, why not have a whole game built around it?

Oof

I will say, going from only a Battle Facility to nothing hurts nowhere near as badly as going from what the 2D games used to have to just the Battle Facilities/Maisons
Ah I see.

I played Gold and then didn't play another Pokémon game until Let's Go! Pikachu. So I missed all of the features everyone loved then were removed lmao

So, i kinda left the leak game on friday evening, anything interesting since then? Abilities, changes to old Pokemon that are interesting, evolution methods and/or alternate forms?

My main idea for a "battle hub" would be to roll it into Pokémon Home. Add a battle sim in there that lets you use any Pokémon that you've transferred in, letting all of the mechanics from all of the games combine into one wacky metagame. Maybe even have special rules to play for each generation like Showdown allows. If they think letting you customize all Pokemon would be too much, have it so that you can only customize Pokémon registered in the Pokedexes of the games you've linked to the account. Bam, now home has a greater purpose other than a cloud storage solution.

I've often wondered about this tbh. I was hoping when Home took over from Bank that Pokémon would eventually use Home for expended features, including an essentially official Showdown. Current VGC would be in-game as usual, of course, but older rulesets, all-out with no rules, etc. could be in an official capacity. Personally, I'd love it!

So, i kinda left the leak game on friday evening, anything interesting since then? Abilities, changes to old Pokemon that are interesting, evolution methods and/or alternate forms?
I forget when this happened but they finally learned how to evolve Finizen.

You need to defeat a pokemon in coop with it (or level up, or both).

I can deal with no Frontier ever again if they at least brought back and expanded on the PWT.

Simple knockout format, get to battle all the big names across the regions so tons of fanservice, fun modes like the monotype tournaments and download tournaments (even if we didn't get all of them).

BW2 postgame really is the GOAT.

I can deal with no Frontier ever again if they at least brought back and expanded on the PWT.

Simple knockout format, get to battle all the big names across the regions so tons of fanservice, fun modes like the monotype tournaments and download tournaments (even if we didn't get all of them).

BW2 postgame really is the GOAT.
They're getting close to the PWT feel with the postgame tournaments and SwSh and now Scarlet and Violet. They just need to add more NPCs to those, which could (theoretically) happen in the DLC.

I forget when this happened but they finally learned how to evolve Finizen.

You need to defeat a pokemon in coop with it (or level up, or both).

Co-op, huh?

I hope they have NPC guests for that as i doubt i'm going to play any co-op outside of the raids. Maybe i even do the raids with NPCs.

Any info about Dudunsparce and it's alternative forms?

They're getting close to the PWT feel with the postgame tournaments and SwSh and now Scarlet and Violet. They just need to add more NPCs to those, which could (theoretically) happen in the DLC.
I don't think those restrict levels or offer the range of modes that PWT did, do they?

It'd be nice if they added in an Expert mode or something so you could have the regular postgame challenge if you're more casual or want exp/money, and a battle facility all in one. Maybe in the future.

I don't think those restrict levels or offer the range of modes that PWT did, do they?

It'd be nice if they added in an Expert mode or something so you could have the regular postgame challenge if you're more casual or want exp/money, and a battle facility all in one. Maybe in the future.
They don't unfortunately, yeah.

I wish they had so many more difficulty options. For example, I would love to play the campaign in all Double Battles.

Co-op, huh?

I hope they have NPC guests for that as i doubt i'm going to play any co-op outside of the raids. Maybe i even do the raids with NPCs.

Any info about Dudunsparce and it's alternative forms?
Dudunsparce might just be random in which form you get. Nobody has been able to reliably control which form they get yet. Same with Maushold.

Any ideas of what kind of a runtime we're looking at vs previous games?

EDIT: sounds like about 20hrs for an average playthru

Yeah, I heard someone finished the post-game in 23 hours, so..sounds close to my Sword save file.
pretty crazy we are getting such an expanded open world and the same game length, though I wonder what completion numbers look like in comparison.

Quoted by: Leo
What do you mean showdown-like? Being able to create customized pokémon at free will? Because that's not gonna happen, it would render the main games pointless.

And removing that feature... You're left with a battle hub, which the main games already have.

I really miss Pokémon Stadium too, and I think they could implement a lot of features like different battle modes and minigames if they made it, but I don't think those things can warrant a game on its own, especially when it would be competing with the main games' online.
In terms of more "showdown like" features, I wouldn't mind some options being available to "downgrade" your Pokémon, as it were. The idea of a rusty Bottle Cap or similar item that cuts IVs has been idea tossed around since Gen 7, and it would be very handy for minimizing IVs due to Foul Play, or wanting a specific IV spread for use with Beast Boost and the like. Another would be the ability to remove a Hidden Ability from a Pokémon. Even with both the Ability Capsule and Patch, there's no way to remove a HA from a Pokémon that already has one, and that can frustrating for a number of reasons. Maybe you got a mon you like from a raid or trade, but you're stuck with its HA even if you prefer its HA, or you have an older Pokémon that you got with its HA years ago, but it recently got a new ability that just outshines it (coughGalladecough). It's a weird bit of permanence considering pretty much everything about a Pokémon can be changed at this point besides this.

Dudunsparce might just be random in which form you get. Nobody has been able to reliably control which form they get yet. Same with Maushold.

Ah, my old nemesis ... RNG. -_-

-----

Have you guys seen this?

Gotta say, reading this is making me a sandwich believer. There seem to be really OP recipes.

Ah, my old nemesis ... RNG. -_-

-----

Have you guys seen this?

Gotta say, reading this is making me a sandwich believer. There seem to be really OP recipes.

As a casual pokemon fan I often really don't like how they handle shinies. I wish shiny hunting would be really exciting. Like for me personally it should take around 5-10 hours of really exploring the world and playing the game to find a shiny.

Im not a fan of a sandwich that gives you 4 shinies and hour or of shiny breeding as best method and stuff like that.

pretty crazy we are getting such an expanded open world and the same game length, though I wonder what completion numbers look like in comparison.

How Long to Beat lists SwSh as 25h and it took me 60h, and I didn't even complete the regional dex. Arceus is also 25h there, and it took me 100h (although I did do everything in that one).

So I think 20h for Scarlet and Violet means 60h for me.

How Long to Beat lists SwSh as 25h and it took me 60h, and I didn't even complete the regional dex. Arceus is also 25h there, and it took me 100h (although I did do everything in that one).

So I think 20h for Scarlet and Violet means 60h for me.
Yeah, I am sure I will be north of my Sword save. I just really didn't care for Sword, so I hopped out when I finished the post-game. I did do one of the DLC expansions. Arceus, on the other hand, I put a lot more time into.

Yeah the ~23 hour playtime is for the leakers who mainlined the story without much exploration. I watched some of the initial streamer who played the game for that long, after beating the game there was a ton of undiscovered areas that they had just ignored until the postgame lol.

I think a more typical playthrough will be a fair bit longer than that, assuming you engage with the open world exploration at all.

Yeah the ~23 hour playtime is for the leakers who mainlined the story without much exploration. I watched some of the initial streamer who played the game for that long, after beating the game there was a ton of undiscovered areas that they had just ignored until the postgame lol.

I think a more typical playthrough will be a fair bit longer than that, assuming you engage with the open world exploration at all.

Yeah, you bet I'm gonna savor every little area of that game as a special delicacy.

Oh is that a little cranny where Psyducks and cute little water pokémon gather? Gotta get myself one of each at least

New info:

The Water/Fighting Paldean Tauros is Violet exclusive, the Fire/Fighting one is Scarlet exclusive.

The pure Fighting one is in both.

Finally beat it. Lots of different thoughts, many negative, but I will say that it's the rare Pokemon game that totally sticks the landing in the last two / three hours. That's very cool to see. Unlike Sword/Shield, everything builds to a climax that feels properly forshadowed and planned rather than rushed and haphazard. In fact, the last stretch of the game kind of condemns what came before it - it really goes to a different level.

Funnily enough, my time to see the credits was about 28 hours, but I must have left the game idling for a couple of hours at least while making dinner etc. I'd say 25 hours is a really good expectation. I definitely reached the pokemon league after about 23 hours. To those who say "Did you explore and do side quests" I'd say "Explore what" and "What side quests" lmao, but yes, I explored what I could. A good barometer is that I caught/evolved 230 out of 400 pokemon. That's not bee-lining it.

I could have spent more time taking classes at the school - I ignored that until very late in the game.

My team was
Skeledirge - Garganacl - Mabosstiff - Veluza - Tinkaton - Armarouge (who I subbed out for a wild lvl 75 lucario that I caught when my team was in its 40s)

I don't recommend using this team - massively weak to ground and electric types lol, and pretty slow to boot. However Garganacle got me through multiple fights 15-20 levels above where I should have been with the epic Salt Cure move.

Would love to give my full thoughts but busy at work. Can answer questions though.

Last edited:
"Water/Fighting Paldean Tauros is Violet exclusive"

As someone buying Violet and picking Quaxly, OOF

This is what we know so far:

It's also possible the Fire and Water Tauros are version exclusive.

I might not like Miraidon, but Violet still wins based on this list alone. Misdreavus over Drifloon is an absolute no-brainer. It feels like Drifloon is way too common these days. It's not cool anymore because I see it too often.

I might not like Miraidon, but Violet still wins based on this list alone. Misdreavus over Drifloon is an absolute no-brainer. It feels like Drifloon is way too common these days. It's not cool anymore because I see it too often.

Scarlet doesn't need Misdreavus, it has long hair Misdreavus from the past! ;D

Can you expand on your negative thoughts? Seems like the world is barren, which I pretty much expected.
Sure.
  • Open world is totally devoid of interesting things. There's no power plant to stumble upon here, for example. Nothing to discover except new wild pokemon. There are some copy-pasted towers with Gimmighoul chests, and some copy-pasted ruins with the same. That's all you get.
  • Pokemon spawning is poor - far too many all at once. Makes seeing a pokemon not feel special. You enter a zone, you'll see 90% of the spawn table standing there in front of you within 5 seconds.
  • There's no danger to exploring. There are almost no trainers - and they can't challenge you anyway. Pokemon almost never charge you. You only battle if you want to battle (or because you run into a pokemon that popped-in graphically at the last second).
  • Towns are almost totally useless. There are no trainers and nothing to do. There is only one non-school interior in the entire game as far as I can tell - the sandwich shop. That's it. So towns are just a place to hit the gym leader and pass through. It's a shame, as some of them are quite nice places.
  • Gym "tests" are hilarious bad. Just, really really humorous how bad they are. Instead of working through a gym puzzle and battling through the various pokemon of a specific type like previous games, you get shit like "Win an auction by simply pressing A", or "Roll this olive from A to B". It's farcical.
  • Star bases are almost as bad. You enter a base, you press "R" to send out your pokemon, and when they beat 30 pokemon, that's it, you win. There is no input required from the player whatsoever other moving forward than pressing "R". You get 10 minutes to do this, but it could never take more than 2. Because you just have to press R and watch. The boss fight of each star base is basically reused, and gets old.
  • The game could have used more than 5 titan pokemon, but of the three activities they're the best by far.
  • But there aren't really "three paths" (gym challenge, league and team star) because there's no level scaling for each path. In reality, there's 18 badges that you should do in order for maximum enjoyment. I went for each titan pokemon first and it wasn't good for game pacing. It was very clear that the game wasn't actually designed to let you do that. But the game does little to funnel you to the next appropriate place - while the freedom is welcomed a little guidance if it was wanted would have been nice.
  • The map sucks. Raid spots are the most prominent thing on it (who cares), you can't turn icons on or off, you can't leave markers for where you saw a particular pokemon etc - it's far below the Arceus map.
  • Performance is truly horrific. Some insane frame rate drops and frame hitches in this game. And yes, I'm on patch 1.01.
  • Visuals are similarly awful. Everything more than 10 feet away looks insanely poor. The LoD agressiveness here is way out of control. It's to the point where I thought there was a ghost pokemon spawning because the walls were bending and shifting. Nope, that's just the game changing the polygonal quality of the environment as you walk through it. It's rough.
  • The game should have started with you in school instead of at home with mom as usual. As it is the school is a totally half-baked concept that I was almost totally unaware of until 20 hours in. Had you started there and taken a few classes first, it would familiarize the player with it, feel unique, and ground the game in its setting. Because it IS actually a good setting, and a good idea.
  • The battle UI is not good. It constantly removes info from the screen for no good reason.
  • Menus have a mushy gamefeel. The game as a whole isn't very responsive. Very different to Arceus.

Sure.
  • Open world is totally devoid of interesting things. There's no power plant to stumble upon here, for example. Nothing to discover except new wild pokemon. There are some copy-pasted towers with Gimmighoul chests, and some copy-pasted ruins with the same. That's all you get.
  • Pokemon spawning is poor - far too many all at once. Makes seeing a pokemon not feel special. You enter a zone, you'll see 90% of the spawn table standing there in front of you within 5 seconds.
  • There's no danger to exploring. There are almost no trainers - and they can't challenge you anyway. Pokemon almost never charge you. You only battle if you want to battle (or because you run into a pokemon that popped-in graphically at the last second).
  • Towns are almost totally useless. There are no trainers and nothing to do. There is only one non-school interior in the entire game as far as I can tell - the sandwich shop. That's it. So towns are just a place to hit the gym leader and pass through. It's a shame, as some of them are quite nice places.
  • Gym "tests" are hilarious bad. Just, really really humorous how bad they are. Instead of working through a gym puzzle and battling through the various pokemon of a specific type like previous games, you get shit like "Win an auction by simply pressing A", or "Roll this olive from A to B". It's farcical.
  • Star bases are almost as bad. You enter a base, you press "R" to send out your pokemon, and when they beat 30 pokemon, that's it, you win. There is no input required from the player whatsoever other moving forward than pressing "R". You get 10 minutes to do this, but it could never take more than 2. Because you just have to press R and watch. The boss fight of each star base is basically reused, and gets old.
  • The game could have used more than 5 titan pokemon, but of the three activities they're the best by far.
  • But there aren't really "three paths" (gym challenge, league and team star) because there's no level scaling for each path. In reality, there's 18 badges that you should do in order for maximum enjoyment. I went for each titan pokemon first and it wasn't good for game pacing. It was very clear that the game wasn't actually designed to let you do that. But the game does little to funnel you to the next appropriate place - while the freedom is welcomed a little guidance if it was wanted would have been nice.
  • The map sucks. Raid spots are the most prominent thing on it (who cares), you can't turn icons on or off, you can't leave markers for where you saw a particular pokemon etc - it's far below the Arceus map.
  • Performance is truly horrific. Some insane frame rate drops and frame hitches in this game. And yes, I'm on patch 1.01.
  • Visuals are similarly awful. Everything more than 10 feet away looks insanely poor. The LoD agressiveness here is way out of control. It's to the point where I thought there was a ghost pokemon spawning because the walls were bending and shifting. Nope, that's just the game changing the polygonal quality of the environment as you walk through it. It's rough.
  • The game should have started with you in school instead of at home with mom as usual. As it is the school is a totally half-baked concept that I was almost totally unaware of until 20 hours in. Had you started there and taken a few classes first, it would familiarize the player with it, feel unique, and ground the game in its setting. Because it IS actually a good setting, and a good idea.
  • The battle UI is not good. It constantly removes info from the screen for no good reason.
  • Menus have a mushy gamefeel. The game as a whole isn't very responsive. Very different to Arceus.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuk

i-dont-know-what-i-expected-arrested.gif

"This looks like the Pokemon game I've been waiting for: one with a big ol' world that's super rushed and half-assed"

There is no hope for this franchise. None.

I'm tempted to cancel my pre-order, but I'm such a sucker that I probably won't

The first point is especially disappointing to me because one of my favorite things about (old) Pokémon games were the optional caves, ruins, facilities, temples etc. that you could explore, which often housed a legendary. For example the power plant you mentioned, or the Turnback Cave in D/P. Those places added to the mysticism of the region and the lore in general. One would've thought that GameFreak would add more of those explorable places to fill the map now that we are in the open-world era of Pokémon, but alas...

You folks could at least wait until thursday when the reviews drop to doom the game.

No offense to Heron, but it feels like the main problem is that there was an expectation that ScarVio are like Arceus, but they aren't.

The two games (counting ScarVio as one here) were developed at the same time by different teams, so of course there's going to be differences by that alone.

Going by those impressions, if you duct tape this to the way Legends is designed, minus the combat, you might have a pretty solid game

But who am I kidding, this is Game Freak. They'll find a way to make the next game even worse, because of course they will
You folks could at least wait until thursday when the reviews drop to doom the game.

No offense to Heron, but it feels like the main problem is that there was an expectation that ScarVio are like Arceus, but they aren't.

The two games (counting ScarVio as one here) were developed at the same time by different teams, so of course there's going to be differences by that alone.
Reviews praised the heck out of Sword and Shield, and look how that turned out. IIRC IGN said it was like the best Pokemon game ever (lmao, I'm like 90% sure they just wanted to spite people who were frustrated with the dex cut)

Plenty of them will boil down to "it's Pokemon, have a 9/10"

Last edited:
I trust a member here who's finished the game more than the collective marketing arm of the industry

Going by those impressions, if you duct tape this to the way Legends is designed, minus the combat, you might have a pretty solid game

But who am I kidding, this is Game Freak. They'll find a way to make the next game even worse, because of course they will

Reviews praised the heck out of Sword and Shield, and look how that turned out

Plenty of them will boil down to "it's Pokemon, 9/10"

https://opencritic.com/game/7899/pok-mon-sword-and-shield - 64% critics recommend

https://opencritic.com/game/2852/pok-mon-sun-and-moon - 94% critics recommend

Dunno about you, but i wouldn't call only 64% of critic recommendations as "collective marketing arm" or "praising the heck out".

But hey, if you want impressions by people who played it and aren't in any way paid for it, there should be enough on reddit and twitter as the game has been both street date broken and it's roms leaked.
Shouldn't be too difficult to look for some more.

But something tells me Heron told you exactly what you might've wanted to hear? ;]

Also, heading in my work days end, so don't expect me answering any further quotes until tomorrow morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom