• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Pokémon Scarlet and Violet — Pre-release Discussion Thread (UPDATE: new trailer, see threadmarks)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The more gliders in open world games, the better.
Pokemon%20Scarlet%20And%20Violet%20Paldea%20Region%20Main.jpg

Developer 1: “So, our legendaries this generation are going to be rideable mounts that you use to traverse the game world. What should we call them?”

Developer 2: “How about for both of them we put a different random syllable before ‘Ride On’ and call it a day?”

Developer 1: “Brilliant!”
Korai and mirai actually mean ancient and future I think. And I didn't even realize the "ride on" thing, just took -don as a generic saurian suffix, so it's actually quite a layered name. You ironically made me appreciate them a lot more lol

my problem is that it trivializes the go-anywhere aspect. going left instead of right could mean I get an overly easy experience, especially if there's no obvious signposting of order. even a light scaling would be preferable

I hate this so goddamned much

They show wheels on the ground in the trailer, it’s just two different speeds probably so you don’t have to keep getting on and off mount like in Arceus?which was silly

Edit: oh wait it’s different between the two légendaires

Violet stay winning

I am always surprised to see level scaling championed. I can’t think of one good example. It trivializes the journey so that the destination isn’t too hard or too easy; everything becomes a homogenous goop of “just right.”
For real. Level scaling would kill the whole open world aspect.

I wonder how this "there are three story to follow"will unravel itself. don'thave an opinion still.
It's probably just:

1) Become champion
2) Finish the story
3) Finish the dex

So three quests you can do independently of each other.

Excited for this due to the region, and I dig the school setting competition with the other school. I am over the save the world nonsense. How many times is Poke-Earth going to be under threat of cosmic horror or mass flooding and other stuff lol

More excited about online co-op as me and the kiddo will be able to play together outside of just raids.

my problem is that it trivializes the go-anywhere aspect. going left instead of right could mean I get an overly easy experience, especially if there's no obvious signposting of order. even a light scaling would be preferable

I hate this so goddamned much

yeah just this made me choose violet over scarlett.

Looks like the raids are the same system as SwSh. I guess we're never getting anything as good as Gen VI for online again.

Double STAB seems like it's a huge boon to offense but it what do I know

I'm assuming that Clavell is the Champion or equivalent given his six Premier Balls
Use all sorts of items to make your uniform fit you
Ranging from short sleeves and shorts to warm blazers, the academy has four different kinds of uniforms in total. Additionally, you can collect a wide variety of accessories from boutiques. Wear your favorite items and try out different styles along the way on your adventure!
This seems really limited compared to previous games if there's only four base uniforms you can wear. So much for customization freeing us from dorkitude

Surprised by the on average negative sentiment here, since I saw nothing in the trailer that I thought would make one feel more down on the game than going in whereas a couple new details sounded intruiging, like the segmentation into three stories which we didn't know about before. And this gen's battle gimmick so far seems relatively balanced and low-impact so that I don't have any immediate worries about a horrible online meta.

Biggest iffy for me is potentially having to farm pokemon with just the right tera type for competitive teams.

About raids -- I never tried them in Sw/Sh so I don't really know what to expect. Would it be safe to say that it's best experienced with people you know? I've heard the AI is terrible when you go solo, so that's one thing. Is playing with random people worth it?

About raids -- I never tried them in Sw/Sh so I don't really know what to expect. Would it be safe to say that it's best experienced with people you know? I've heard the AI is terrible when you go solo, so that's one thing. Is playing with random people worth it?
I thought they were great fun, and solo with AI is totally fine for the majority of raids, it's just the harder ones where it can be more frustrating.

Most raids I did with random folks online, but I think for a challenging raid it might be better with friends so you can communicate.

I had fun with them. Me, wife, and daughter would do raids for special Pokemon. That being said, they needed to be more dynamic. They became too easy as we each spammed the same attack over and over really with our OP Pokemon.

I would say it does the opposite. Why go somewhere else if it's just gonna be the same? I imagine they'll make the main path clear so you know you're going off.

ugh i just realized

with two versions that means version exclusives are back

it was so freaking nice to be able to finish the dex in PLA without having to trade

The trailer was weird. I'm not going to lie. This new form thing reeks of gamefreak just doing a weird gimmick for the sake of it. It's just another lesser iteration of Mega Evolutions.

The gym stuff also seems weird. I found it strange that there was a lack of levels in the battle UI.

I am always surprised to see level scaling championed. I can’t think of one good example. It trivializes the journey so that the destination isn’t too hard or too easy; everything becomes a homogenous goop of “just right.”
Except that level scaling absolutely makes sense for a Pokemon game, or we would have the very common open world problem of the game’s difficulty curve completely falling apart once you get past the initial challenge

Now I can’t comment too much on the status of level scaling in games because apparently the main reason why people complain about this mechanic so much is due to its implementation in Elder Scrolls games which I haven’t played. Something about early game enemies becoming too spongey when their level scales with yours. Then they will say that something like Souls games do it right since when they offer you non-linear progression, every boss is challenging in their own way so they don’t need scaling in order to maintain their difficulty.

An open world Pokemon game isn’t comparable to any other successful non-linear game that doesn’t have scaling because Pokemon is not an action game at all, it’s a pure turn based RPG where stats matter a lot. Once you manage to beat a gym underleveled thanks to your use of competitive strategies or whatever, that’s it, you broke the game. No other gym will have this kind of challenge, the lower level ones especially will be total cakewalks.

The whole appeal of an open world Pokemon game is to go wherever you want instead of following an intended path like it was for multiple gens now. You start the game, you catch normal/flying/bug types in early routes, your starter carries you, you don’t have decent typing coverage until mid game, you get your full team, you beat the champion. Now what if the open structure let you go to the late game routes right away to get a Dratini instead of a Pidgey, then you beat the Dragon gym which has level 10 Dragon types for once but later the basic early game Flying gym has a bunch of fully evolved Flying types and isn’t a cakewalk. You get to go where you want and grab the Pokemon you want without the difficulty curve completely falling apart as a result of that. To me this sounds way more interesting than sweeping through every gym after you managed to beat an overleveled one

Last edited:
Korai and mirai actually mean ancient and future I think. And I didn't even realize the "ride on" thing, just took -don as a generic saurian suffix, so it's actually quite a layered name. You ironically made me appreciate them a lot more lol
Lol I guess this makes more sense than just random syllables. Forgive my ignorance there!

Looks like the Northeast is where we may get DLC, maybe they can pull a Sinjoh Ruins and connect Paldea to another region (Kalos?).
I don't think anyone should expect them to do anything involving Kalos, which would be very unfortunate. It'll bother me if they don't even mention Kalos lmao

have the leaks mentioned anything about to QOL stuff from PLA? things like swapping movesets on the fly, evolving mons on the fly, etc?

Level Scaling is just another term for adaptive difficulty, really, and that’s been done really well in a bunch of games. Skyrim, Resident Evil 4 and BotW all use ‘level scaling’ but I bet most people don’t even realise because it’s done so well.

Of course you’re right in that scaling can create a homogenous combat system, but a game with absolutely no level scaling can very easily run into the issue of over-levelling as well. For instance, if I wasn’t using the optional Expert Mode in my current run-through of Xenoblade Chronicles, I’d be having literally no challenge whatsoever. I’d be 8+ levels above any enemy I encountered including bosses, simply because I did some side quests.

Personally, I’d have the gyms pick a different team based on how many gym badges you have at that time. Then have overworks Pokemon and trainers be at a static level.

Last edited:
If the gyms don't scale with you, then I honestly don't see the point of being able to do them in any order.

This is a turn-based RPG, not an action game. Whether you can beat the gym is more a matter of numbers than of skill, so bum-rushing to any gym above the 4th from the start of the game is basically guaranteed to be a wipe unless you grind to level up or catch higher-leveled pokemon, and at that point, all of the earlier gyms are going to be a snooze fest.

Having the gyms and your rival scale with you depending on the number of badges you've obtained is clearly the smartest way to go - it makes the world feel more dynamic and real and gives you a reason to go wherever you want without running into the issue of enemies being too squishy because you can still grind to a higher level if a gym is giving you problems.

I feel like most of the comments against scaling are assuming that you'd be scaling off of your level, which wouldn't work in Pokemon because you're supposed to be switching your team out all of the time. I'm actually fine with wild pokemon not scaling - I think that makes a lot of sense - and trainer scaling in the wild shouldn't really be a thing either. Gym trainers should scale, but not Picknicker Carlos on route 1.

An open world Pokemon game isn’t comparable to any other successful non-linear game that doesn’t have scaling because Pokemon is not an action game at all, it’s a pure turn based RPG where stats matter a lot. Once you manage to beat a gym underleveled thanks to your use of competitive strategies or whatever, that’s it, you broke the game. No other gym will have this kind of challenge, the lower level ones especially will be total cakewalks.
what's missing from this is that previously the entirety of pokemon games were cakewalks, and this new format gives players the chance to make their own fun for at least a little while. gf taking a step back and letting the player work out what they want to do when really appeals to me because their approach to linearity doesn't work for me at all, and I have to assume their scaling would be too generous

I am displeased at the small amount of new Pokemon they are showing.

But also, whatever.
Yeah that's another issue I have. It's was glaring in the trailer when they were showing all the different Pokemon you can find, It was just a bunch of old Pokemon. We got what, 3 new Pokemon shown off? Just strange tbh.

I'm worried about the performance in this segment. the trailer shown it to drop a lot of frames

As long as there is a Crystal Slowking, which there thankfully is, I wouldn't worry about the performance. They will take care of it, eventually

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom