• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Pokémon Scarlet and Violet — Pre-release Discussion Thread (UPDATE: new trailer, see threadmarks)

Status
Not open for further replies.

6i8dv3.jpg

Ohhh okay so Turo is from "futuro" and Sada probably from "pasado", they obvs couldn't go with "Sado"
After Pokemon SM anything is possible.
(Sorry if someone made this joke, I've only read this far.)

So, Korai 古来 ancient times, Mirai 未来 future. (Again, sorry if that was mentioned.)

Not much of a fan of the artstyle. I wished they would've just doubled down on SwSh's artstyle.

Not sure how I feel about the world being fully explorable from the start

Like, a lot of the fun in these kinds of games is from "oh, I wonder what will be in the next area?" except now, there is no next area. It's like you get to open all your presents right from the beginning, saving nothing for the rest of the game. The world looks pretty empty, too

Does that mean all non-legendary Pokemon can be found right from the start? Or will main story progression cause new Pokemon to appear that weren't there before?
progression is presumably limited by how far you can get with your current pokemon. instead of "what will the game hand me next?" it's "what will I be able to get to next?"

So, Korai 古来 ancient times, Mirai 未来 future. (Again, sorry if that was mentioned.)
it's worth noting that the former can mean time-honored and the latter can refer to the concept of the world to come, so there's still a chance we're not dealing with any time bullshit

I would still love Lechonk even if it was named differently. Lovely Pokemon rendition of a boar with those “teary” eyes and clearly looks like it likes burying its snout on the dirt.

This is terrifying
No man, it tastes amazing

Not sure how I feel about the world being fully explorable from the start
I’m not gonna learn how I feel about the world til we see more of it. Open world can be done well or bad… but I don’t exactly have faith in GF they can pull it off.

Also gonna wait to see how many of the PLA mechanics will make it in. I’d want the moveset editing and manual evolution to stay, at least.

They're definitely hiding something. We have yet to see the usual new Pokemon gimmick. Maybe that's the weird crystal tease at the end of the trailer? We don't know how quests and traversal work yet either. We'll see more later this summer (or maybe in the Treehouse).

WHY ARE THEY SO HOT?!

They look like Gen 2 designs, and dragon legendaries are good. This post is way off base.

There are more Dragon type Legendaries than any other types. Nine out of 27 boxes art (Non remakes and only mainline games and assuming that Scarlet and Violet Box Pokémon are even Dragons) have a dragon type as box art. There are 18 types can we get some typing diversity? Can Gamefreak at least invert that trope?

There are more Dragon type Legendaries than any other types. Nine out of 27 boxes art (Non remakes and only mainline games and assuming that Scarlet and Violet Box Pokémon are even Dragons) have a dragon type as box art. There are 18 types can we get some typing diversity? Can Gamefreak at least invert that trope?
dragons are legendary though, grass is not

I want to know more about co-op. What can you actually do with your buddies in the game? Or do you just simultaneously play Pokemon in the same instance and then trade or battle sometimes.

After watching the trailer a second time, the only hope I have is that there are some interesting, more complex caves. Other than that it looks pretty good, imo.

it's worth noting that the former can mean time-honored and the latter can refer to the concept of the world to come, so there's still a chance we're not dealing with any time bullshit
I wasn't implying that. 😅 I only posted it, since a lot of people seem to know what mirai means, but seemed like many were curious about korai.
All the characters are part of the same time-frame anyway. It's probably more akin to how the Diamond and Pearl Clan leaders, whose names I didn't just totally forget, represented different philosophies. It's probably best shown in the legendaries, one a conventional bike with a wheel, one a hovering bike. I'd imagine it's also shown in the methods the professors use for their research.

I want Smoliv for my team. I hope you can catch it relatively early in the game.

Smoliv also looks like a bottle, what a great design

And I know the legendaries are giant powerful lizards but I do hope they AREN’T Dragon type

Was that showing Legends Arceus style direct capture? Or was it a bit of deceptive editing? Like throw Pokéball to start battle, cut directly to Pokémon being captured at end of battle.
For all of ya saying its regression, tbh I don't care. I need the throwing of the poke ball and Pokemon to automatic, as otherwise I won't be able to catch any Pokemon myself.
Even Legends Arceus allowed in-battle capture by button presses like past games.

So I wonder if people will pronounce the legendaries names in japanese like it seems intended to be or like "muhraaayduhn"

Was that showing Legends Arceus style direct capture? Or was it a bit of deceptive editing? Like throw Pokéball to start battle, cut directly to Pokémon being captured at end of battle.

Even Legends Arceus allowed in-battle capture by button presses like past games.
You still had to throw out your Pokemon manually, which required aiming, so I can't even do that. I need it all to be manual.

progression is presumably limited by how far you can get with your current pokemon. instead of "what will the game hand me next?" it's "what will I be able to get to next?"
I could see this, but I just hope that Game Freak does a good job handling it

Unlike Legends, trainer battles are back in this one, so maybe they could potentially be used to gatekeep certain areas in the world? Like, imagine there's a cave in the starter area and it has really rare Pokemon inside, but it's being guarded by a trainer with a lvl 50 team. You'd have to wait a while before you'd be able to get in there, though, with some strategy, you could build a team capable of winning even if your Pokemon are a bit weaker than that.

Do I necesarily expect this kind of thing? Nah, but it'd be neat.

I wish that there was some kind of hybrid system, where if you were at a higher level (or even a certain number of levels above ) than a wild Pokemon you could just throw a ball and catch it but if you were at the same or lower level you would have to battle it to catch it. I know, catching was the core mechanic in Arceus and it's probably not so much in this, but that's going to be hard to go back to.

Simply amazing. And this confirms the theory of two professors and scarlet being more traditional and violet more futuristic. And it seems we have multiplayer to explore, this is going to be huge.

I can't tell if battles transitions are seamless or not. The fact there's a run option in the battle menu makes me think they wouldn't be. It would at least imply you can't move freely in battle like in Legends.

This trailer did everything it needed to.

It showed off really cute Pokémon people want to protect

It showed multiplayer.

It made people horny.

This was quite the success for them.

It seems like Nemona will wear a different colour outfit depending on the version. She's shown in both red and purple outfits.

I like the new regular Pokemon a lot, but not a big fan of the legendaries. Out of the two I prefer Miraidon, but then I would not see Professor Sada...

It looks good.

Do we think they will touch up the IQ to Legends Arceus levels before release? I remember the IQ in Arceus also being pretty bad in the first few trailers. That's my only problem with the visuals now as everything else looks very appealing.

No, that sounds lame. We haven't had good box legendaries since Gen 3 and now we do. And not only that, but they're motorcycles. Live free and live fast.

gamefreak gonna ruin me this year if I have as much fun with this game as I did with legends Arceus. Will kinda want every year to have a banger Pokémon game at the start and another one at the end

Nothing like a Pokemon trailer to get the hype going. Let's hope they can deliver.

Lechonk is absolutely this gen's Wooloo.

I like the idea of the box mascots being designed as mounts. You don't really get to do anything with other box legends since they're banned in most formats, so making them mounts would give people some reason to want to prefer one over the other.

Their art looks like it's posed more vertically in order to align with Switch cases, and combined with the other flourishes the boxart looks actually good.

Is neat, I like all the new Pokemon they have shown, I like the art style change, don't have much else to say on that front, it looks like Pokemon, I like Pokemon (for the most part).

I just hope (and I don't think I have to be concerned because of the competitive scene) that all the battle system additions from Legends aren't in these games, I can deal with terrible trainer battles and jank damage output just fine in a game with very little trainers and wild encounters I rather evade, but not in a traditional Pokemon game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom