• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Pokémon Music Thread Part 1 - Red/Green/Blue/Yellow

N75

Like Like
s1PNg6U.png

Welcome to the first instalment in a series of threads I plan to make about the music of the mainline Pokémon series. I can’t really say these will be posted in regular intervals, only when I get around to it. I also don’t want to spam them one after another. There may be games where I don’t have much to say or just skip over due to lack of familiarity (probably Let’s Go and BDSP).

Overview
So here we are, where it all began. At least in my opinion, the music is a big factor when it comes to the Pokémon games. Whether it be the field themes that convey the sense of adventure, or the battle themes that get you pumped-up. Despite the sound limitations of the Game Boy, I don’t think it’s an exaggeration to say that even to this day with the upgrades in technology, modern Pokémon titles still use the first generation as a sort of base to define what “Pokémon music” is.

I’ve seen a lot comparisons between Gen I music and marching band music. It fits, especially with how frequently the Route 3/4 theme plays throughout the game. Lots of percussion in that one. Which is ironic, as the battle themes don’t use the noise channel on the Game Boy at all, something that I believe was also carried into Gen II. This was likely done so that the attack sound effects wouldn’t cut in even more than they already do.

I wouldn’t say Generation I is my favourite soundtrack in the series by any means, but it’s still a great listen. Despite the memes about about Lavender Town, it has a good mix of lighthearted, intense, and foreboding tunes. Definitely up there when it comes to Game Boy music. I’ve included some standouts below, but my personal highlights are Route 11, Final Battle! (Rival Battle), and the Ending Theme.

Just an aside, there was a track added in Pokémon Yellow that was left unused in the final release. For years, this was widely speculated to be related to a scrapped mechanic where you would have to manually retreat from a battle if you hadn’t obtained Pikachu yet instead of getting it automatically. However, thanks to the Nintendo Gigaleak, it was discovered that it was likely going to be used as an encounter theme for Giovanni due to the filename being his Japanese name, Sakaki. If true, this would have been the first specific encounter theme for a main villain, something we didn’t actually get until Generation V.

Composers

Junichi Masuda

y2GHafa.png

As one of the founding members of Game Freak as a video game developer, Masuda was involved with programming and composing for a number of games. Unless I’m mistaken, he was the company’s sole composer up until around 1996, coincidentally the year Red/Green released. Gen I was his first and only solo work when it comes to the mainline games. He would later be joined by several other composers, but that’s a discussion for next time.

Masuda has stated in an interview that he was primarily into rock music when he was younger, then discovering classical music later on, which is funny as the music of Gen I doesn’t really give off either of those themes. That being said, Masuda defintely has a distinct composing style that greatly differs from the rest of Game Freak‘s sound staff and can still be heard in the Scarlet/Violet battle themes, even though they were arranged by Minako Adachi (jumping the gun here, I know).

Speaking of arrangements, I don’t think I could bring up Gen I music without touching on Shinji Miyazaki’s anime score. He worked on the regular TV series up until the end of Sun/Moon (though the dub gradually replaced more and more of his music with the exception of the first season of Black/White) and is seemingly still invovled with the movies, but his Gen I adaptation stands out the most due to bringing the 8-bit tracks to life. He additionally composed a number of original pieces that fit the tone of the series perfectly.

I touched on it above, but not only would Masuda work with more people on the music, his own role would eventually diminish due to taking up the director role for the series. Starting with Generation III, his contributions were almost entirely limited to battle themes, which he mostly stopped arranging himself after Generation IV. Though the battle themes are usually the most popular ones, so he must be doing something right.

Notable Tracks
Title Screen
Pallet Town
Route 1
Battle! (Wild Pokémon)
Pokémon Center
Battle! (Trainer Battle)
Route 4
Battle! (Gym Leader Battle)
Route 11
Cycling
Lavender Town
The Sea
Final Battle! (Rival Battle)
Ending Theme

Last edited:
This is arguably my favorite soundtrack of all time. Nostalgia is a big part of it, but the entire OST is so consistently good. Route 4 in particular is a real highlight for me. It's crazy to think Masuda composed it all by himself.

I also want to give a shoutout to Kageyama's arrangements in Pokémon Let's Go. He really brought the tracks to life in a way they hadn't been in a game before. Reminded me of Miyazaki's work.

The entire OST is etched in my heart, every single track is a throwback when I was a child.
Plus, even music in 1st gen had its urban legends (Lavender syndrome 😶‍🌫️).
I'm appreciating also the Let's Go rearrangement!

It is and will always be my favourite because I can't be rational about it.

Interesting video for those who are curious about how the music in these games gets programmed. Explains how the Pokémon Mansion theme is technically the longest piece of music in the series.

Just an aside, there was a track added in Pokémon Yellow that was left unused in the final release.
don't forget the more standard unused track in Red/Blue. it's an early trading theme, with a unique twist where the song's two channels are split across both Game Boys. creating a little stereo effect if you're using the internal speakers on both.

the source code also contains an extended version of the intro theme as well as an alternate healing track.

Great thread!

Gen 1 is so unique in so many ways because it was Pokémon before Pokémon existed. These games were made by a team who had no idea they were working on one of the biggest media franchises in history, so they just did whatever they thought would be cool. As a result, the game has this different flair about it that was never reproduced again.

One of these things is how the soundtrack is sometimes creepy as fuck. From gen 2 onwards Pokémon was officially a game that targeted children, but gen 1 was just this niche RPG on the game boy that hopefully some nerds would find cool, so it was not afraid to be weird. Relistening to the soundtrack, basically all the dungeon themes are weird and terrifying, even Viridian Forest or Mt. Moon. They sound like you're isolated, lost, in danger, and potentially going crazy, which is a hell of a mood. Pokémon Mansion and Silph Co. still surprise me to this day as being from a Pokémon game due to how scary they sound.

Back
Top Bottom