• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Pokémon Gen 9 Metagame |ST| To Be the Very Best

• Thread starter Deleted member 2
  • Start date
Thank you guys! Much appreciated.

How do you tell if a Pokémon is a physical or special attacker?
Usually you can look at their attack stats in game, and the higher one is generally the one to go with in most cases.

If you're still unsure, look at their movepool, if they have better physical attacks they are usually a physical attacker and vice versa. That said, movepool can be the thing that turns what looks like a physical attacker into a special attacker (and vice versa). Look at Tapu Koko for example, it's physical attack is higher than it's special attack, but it is most commonly run as a special attacker because of its movepool.

Some Pokemon are mixed, and have very similar physical and special attack stats, but even then you usually want to lean one way or the other, most Pokemon don't have the stats to pull off good mixed sets (Salamence, a 600 BST monster has some successful mixed sets purely because it has such high stats).

After beating the game and fighting that trainer with an all paradox mon team ... i just can't see some of them going straight into uber tier.

Especially Roaring Moon. Fucker nearly solo-ed my whole team, and i had a Tinkaton a good chunk of levels above it.

After beating the game and fighting that trainer with an all paradox mon team ... i just can't see some of them going straight into uber tier.

Especially Roaring Moon. Fucker nearly solo-ed my whole team, and i had a Tinkaton a good chunk of levels above it.
I don't really follow the fan singles scene, but didn't they already ban Flutter Mane?

I don't really follow the fan singles scene, but didn't they already ban Flutter Mane?

No idea, last time i battled online was during D/P/P times. Though i checked Smogon out of curiosity and just saw Houndstone being listed as uber and just thought they're not done tiering them yet and left.

But holy heck Roaring Moons needs to be banned, one Dragon Dance on top of the Booster Energy item that also raises it's attack ... there's little that survives an attack.

I wouldn't worry about what Smogon bans and doesn't ban unless you actually play OU on Showdown. It has no bearing on what's allowed in VGC or on-cart Singles. Currently, all Paradoxes and Legendaries are banned, although I expect that to change in a few months as they seem to like shaking up the format from time to time

Flutter Mane and Houndstone got quickbanned to Ubers by Smogon, yes.

Flutter Mane was an obvious candidate, it's absolutely nuts. 135 Sp Atk and Speed plus a great offensive type combo in Ghost/Fairy. It getting banned was an extremely safe bet.

Houndstone was banned because Last Respects is a potential 300 BP move in Smogon's preferred format, 6v6 singles. It also has Sand Rush to mitigate its poor speed.

I think there's a few other bans now. Iron Bundle is banned because it's also insanely good.

Series 2 has been announced, and it will allow Paradox Pokemon: https://serebii.net/scarletviolet/rankedbattle/series2.shtml

Series 2 will start with Season 3 in February.

Curiously it won't allow the Ruinous Pokemon, I wonder if we will get a Paldea Pokedex format with them as well, or if they will allow the Ruinous Pokemon with the transfer only Pokemon. Maybe they want to balance out the impact of the Ruinous Pokemon by including some the transfer only Legendaries as well.

I had a pretty long discussion with my roommate about Slither Wing's viability, so I really want to see where the competitive meta game goes this generation. I don't have high hopes, but hey, any chance we can get any good bug types in competitive, I'm willing to take.

The first Regional of Series 2 is today in Orlando, it is one of the biggest regionals they have had.

I'm excited to see how the Paradox Pokemon shake out today and tomorrow, Series 2 looks very fun.

I was watching my twitter feed about the regional in orlando because I couldn't watch live. Was fun to see someone I like and follow win it. Will have to catch up over the week!

Finally got to Master Rank with my team I made up all by myself.

Arboliva
Orthworm
Farigiraf
Altaria
Goldhengo
Palafin

Now I'm trying out a fun combo I've been meaning to try: Orthworm and Garganacl, supported by a Trick Room Farigiraf and Light Clay Arboliva.

Finally got to Master Rank with my team I made up all by myself.

Arboliva
Orthworm
Farigiraf
Altaria
Goldhengo
Palafin

Now I'm trying out a fun combo I've been meaning to try: Orthworm and Garganacl, supported by a Trick Room Farigiraf and Light Clay Arboliva.
How are you running Altaria? I forgot it was even in the game.

I can't imagine anybody would be prepared for that on the ladder lmao.
Like I said, just using my favorites. Tried not to look at any smogon strategies either, although I did pick up a few ideas from playing ranked for a while.

Like I said, just using my favorites. Tried not to look at any smogon strategies either, although I did pick up a few ideas from playing ranked for a while.
I reached Master Ball with a lead of Stonjourner (Assault Vest) and Haxorus (Choice Scarf), and I also used my Clawitzer a lot.

This works better on the Battle Stadium (one battle) than in live competitions (better of 3), because of the surprise factor.

I do not have time to calc every move and every counter. I just like to make serious team with my favorite Pokémon.

Regulation D has been announced, allowing all the non-Restricted HOME transfer Pokemon, starts in July and runs until the end of September. It should be a fun format:

I haven't played a ton of Ranked this generation yet, hopefully I can make some time this month to play with the Paldea dex a bit more before the floodgates open.

Also now that HOME is out I can stop being a pauper and EV train Pokemon in SwSh. I'm still a bit peeved that it's both easier to make money in SwSh and vitamins are half the price (with Isle of Armor). A bit too much of a step back in convenience IMO.

Back
Top Bottom