• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Podcasts! What do you listen to?

Hawk

I'm using tilt controls!
Pronouns
He/Him
What podcasts are you listening to Fami? Crazy murder mysteries? Nostalgic tech talks? Comedians with Cameos?

I've settled on a solid rotation of a few recently:

The Nintendo Pipelines
Cool people talking about cool games from a cool company!

Twenty Thousand Hertz
All about the sounds of the world around us! Amazing sound editing from industry professionals!

Strong Songs
Breaking down hits and hidden gems alike, talking about why songs make you want to dance, or movie scores keep you on the edge of your seat!

"Well There's Your Problem", a podcast about engineering disasters. With slides. Yay Liam!
"Kill James Bond", an every other week look at the Bond films, which are then rated on the SCUM scale for Smarm, Cultural insensitivity, Unprovoked violence, and Misogyny.

My current rotation includes

Video Games
- Spawncast
- NVC
- Arlocast
- Nate the Hate

Formula 1
- Missed Apex
- For F1’s Sake
- The Race F1

Other
- Chapo Trap House
- Infinite Cast (a pod jest)

Conan O'Brien Needs a Friend
I've loved Conan since I was a kid and he's probably the most influential person on my current sense of humor.

Conan O'Brien Needs a Friend
I've loved Conan since I was a kid and he's probably the most influential person on my current sense of humor.
Conan is a fantastic host. I've listened to his podcast a few times and liked it, I should put that back into my rotation if I start listening to podcasts more often again.

Waypoint Radio
Nextlander but only the Ramblecasts (about non gaming stuff, for patreon members)
A More Civilized Age- Clone Wars Tv show podcast
Dear Hank and John- The podcast by the Vlogbrothers, they answer advice questions, only for fans of the youtube channel really.

What podcasts are you listening to Fami? Crazy murder mysteries? Nostalgic tech talks? Comedians with Cameos?

I've settled on a solid rotation of a few recently:

The Nintendo Pipelines
Cool people talking about cool games from a cool company!

Twenty Thousand Hertz
All about the sounds of the world around us! Amazing sound editing from industry professionals!

Strong Songs
Breaking down hits and hidden gems alike, talking about why songs make you want to dance, or movie scores keep you on the edge of your seat!

The Nintendo Pipeline Podcast, that sounds like an awesome show, gonna listen to every episode and buy all the merch.

For video game podcasts I go with Player One Podcast, Easy Allies and The Last of the Nintendogs.

Outside of that, I listen to Post Wrestling's reviews of WWE and AEW shows and, when I'm really into a TV series, I look for podcasts that discuss the episodes.

Nintendo-specific? This Nintendo Life. On the lookout for more suggestions though. Checked out a few of the more popular ones like NVC, but didn't really click.

Games in general?
  • Fire Escape Cast (Dan Ryckert, Mary Kish, Mike Mahardy) - Best mix of fun banter, laugh-out-loud funny, and gameplay impressions. Their tastes tend to mesh with mine best. Was a big fan of Dan from Giant Bomb days, glad he popped back up in the podcasting biz.
  • Waypoint (Rob Zacny, Patrick Klepek, Cado Contreras) - I kinda fell off on recent episodes after Austin Walker left, really a bummer, but glad he's going on to progress his career. They're probably best of the bunch in doing in-depth dives into games.
  • Triple Click (Jason Schreier, Kirk Hamilton, Maddy Myers) - Insightful with industry knowledge, good chemistry, and similar tastes in games.

Nintendo-specific? This Nintendo Life. On the lookout for more suggestions though. Checked out a few of the more popular ones like NVC, but didn't really click.

Games in general?
  • Fire Escape Cast (Dan Ryckert, Mary Kish, Mike Mahardy) - Best mix of fun banter, laugh-out-loud funny, and gameplay impressions. Their tastes tend to mesh with mine best. Was a big fan of Dan from Giant Bomb days, glad he popped back up in the podcasting biz.
  • Waypoint (Rob Zacny, Patrick Klepek, Cado Contreras) - I kinda fell off on recent episodes after Austin Walker left, really a bummer, but glad he's going on to progress his career. They're probably best of the bunch in doing in-depth dives into games.
  • Triple Click (Jason Schreier, Kirk Hamilton, Maddy Myers) - Insightful with industry knowledge, good chemistry, and similar tastes in games.
NVC used to be alot of fun back in Wii U Era with Jose Otero (but he left to go work for Nintendo). I still like some of the hosts but they never recovered from Filip's stretch as host. Recently I only listen to it when it's about a topic I'm very interested in.

I haven't tried Tripple Click but I do listen to Strong songs which is also Kirk Hamilton so I do need to check it out.

Melee Stats Podcast
Song vs. Song
Chapo Trap House
Grubstakers
Nate the Hate whenever he talks about big news

i'm always on the hunt for new podcasts so thanks. heres my videogame rotation

• Insert Credit
  • Watch Out for Fireballs
  • Cane and Rinse
  • Nextlander

NVC used to be alot of fun back in Wii U Era with Jose Otero (but he left to go work for Nintendo). I still like some of the hosts but they never recovered from Filip's stretch as host. Recently I only listen to it when it's about a topic I'm very interested in.

I haven't tried Tripple Click but I do listen to Strong songs which is also Kirk Hamilton so I do need to check it out.
Oh cool, I remember Jose from the 1UP days. Didn't realize he had a stint doing NVC. Speaking of which, now I miss 1UP again :(

And yeah, I recommend giving Triple Click a try. Kirk, Maddy, and Jason are all great in their own respects and bring a lot to the table collectively.

Podcasts is like Radio for zoomers 🚶

back on topic tho, currently for Gaming i'm listening to The Easy Allies Podcast, Friend Code, Frame Trap, 8-4 Play and Waypoint Radio at times.

As for other topics, I do listen to Pod Save America, Conan needs a Friend and Trash Taste for those non-gaming fixes. I also listen podcasts from more close knit communities but I don't know if I have permission to share about them so I'll keep it at that.

Games:
Radio Free Nintendo

Politics:
Trillbillies Worker’s Party
Chapo
Q Anon Anonymous

Other:
Hysteria 51

At the minute the only one I listen to with regularity is Smartless because listening to Jason Bateman just rip Will Arnett is exactly what I need on a Monday morning

Let’s see…
Conan Needs a Friend
Can I elaborate (with JB Smoove)
Giant Bomb
8-4 Play

Always trying new ones, loves podcasts while working.

Ghibliotheque

A nice chill, insightful podcast of two guys going through every Ghibli move, one who has seen them all and one who is watching them all for the first time.

They have since made their way through every Ghibli movie and have branched out into covering the works of Satoshi Kon & Cartoon Saloon. They have also done quite a few interviews and chats with long time fans of Studio Ghibli who have been inspired by them, including Rebecca Sugar, Enrico Carossa, Mike Rianda, and Tom Moore.

I love Easy Allies and their 3 podcasts, the standard one, the more in-depth Frame Trap and the Nintendo-focused Friend Code are podcasts where I don't miss a single episode.

Otherwise, Nate the Hate is always good :)

I mean there is the normal gaming ones, Giant Bomb, Easy Allies, 8-4, Nextlander, Waypoint. All the extras for Giant Bomb and only their main pod for the others.

Then I do runs of the What a Cartoon podcast, typically waiting till there is a few to blow through them. Use to listen to their Simpsons one but dropped it when the third guy left. Not because I liked him more but because he provided a different perspective then the other two, who already represented my perspective (more of a Lisa while the guy that left was more of a Bart) so it became not as enjoyable for me.

Them for sports is mostly Dan Lebatard stuff. Do their main shows and Cinephile and Ciniphobe podcasts. Only other sports one I listen to is the Right Time with Bomani Jones.

Currently also listening to the Stat of the Arc gameclub podcast that is covering Xenogears which I highly highly recommend if you are into Xenogears. That is another that I let build up a few weeks before catching up. I have a few things like this where I listen to specific coverage of a thing then move on. Great Gundam Experiment is another like that, but dropped it more because I wasn't really to pay when I have so much else to listen to.

This is the background noise of my life that helps me not think about anything. Do run a few of them at 1.5 speed that are lower tier, like Nextlander (sorry) Waypoint, and Easy Allies, If I had to drop anything it would probably be those (or What a Cartoon) since it's just the same game news and takes I get from other places from people who while I find interesting I don't really share tastes with. I'd recomend any of the things I mentioned if you need more background noise, but threads like these tend to be more for people to just post their lists and wait for others to comment on them.

Ghibliotheque

A nice chill, insightful podcast of two guys going through every Ghibli move, one who has seen them all and one who is watching them all for the first time.

They have since made their way through every Ghibli movie and have branched out into covering the works of Satoshi Kon & Cartoon Saloon. They have also done quite a few interviews and chats with long time fans of Studio Ghibli who have been inspired by them, including Rebecca Sugar, Enrico Carossa, Mike Rianda, and Tom Moore.

This sounds good. Will add it to the list of things to look into when I find more time to fit things in.

Last edited:
Since this is a forum about Nintendo, games and Nintendo games, I must first disclose that the best Nintendo podcast by a huge margin is Radio Free Nintendo.

Funny, informed, and as long as I've been listening there's never been a non-great line-up of hosts.

Since it's October, The Magnus Archives is excellent fiction for the horror season. The setup is a new archivist for this Men in Black type organization is going through old files and recording them on tape. It's mostly one man reading out someone else's paranormal account with ambient sounds/music. As you go through the episodes, an overarching plot unfolds, and neat little callbacks to earlier episodes make you rethink the credibility of those accounts. If, like me, you watched all of the Twilight Zone at a young age and have been dying for something similar since, this might be for you.

I don't listen to as many podcasts as I used to. For gaming podcasts I listen to just the Giant Bombcast and Nextlander.

I used to listen to plenty of others but I have less time for podcasts now. Big shout out to Axe of the Blood God though.

I think 99 potions is a really strong jrpg podcast to have popped up in the last year or so off of Fanbyte. The cast gel very well and are very playful with each other, they make a big effort to bring on a variety of diverse guests to keep the pod with a mix of views and generally have interesting conversations around the games they discuss.

Dungeons and Daddies, not a BDSM podcast and Han Duo rollespiller(Danish podcast that tries different ttrpgs systems out)

RETRONAUTS! my fave gaming pod

comedy bang bang is my favorite … uh, comedy pod

60 songs that explain the 90s is a great music essay pod.

I listen to podcasts 10+ hours a a day, so long list here! (Ordered by recommendation ranking)

Games:

Retronauts
Axe of the Blood God
Hardcore Gaming 101
Last of the Nintendogs / Gamesbeat decides (Really generic, but the hosts just have the most outgoing optimistic feel-good personalities)
8-4
Insert Credit

Non-Games:
This American Life (The oldest and still the greatest Long-Magazine Style podcast)
RadioLab
The Wall Street Journal
Planet money
Science VS
Anything else by Gimlet
NPR Consider this
NPR Embedded
History Unplugged

Politics (These two just nag on each other and are polar opposites, but I like the fresh views they have not given elsewhere):
Reason Roundtable
Chapo Trap House

Last edited:
Radio Free Nintendo
Remaster
Easy Allies Podcast
Frame Trap
Friend Code
Tetracast
Triple Click
Third Fleet Podcast
The MinnMax Show

Non-Games
La Zanzara
The Sams Report
Destination Linux
Pressappoco

Big fan of Easy Allies as you may guess, i really like RPG Site's Tetracast format too, Third Fleet Podcast is my go-to all things Monster Hunter, on the non-games section there are a couple in italian.

I have lots of gaming related and non-gaming related subs on podcasts, but I only listen religiously to the PenBoyRoy podcasts on fountain pens and paper.
I think 99 potions is a really strong jrpg podcast to have popped up in the last year or so off of Fanbyte. The cast gel very well and are very playful with each other, they make a big effort to bring on a variety of diverse guests to keep the pod with a mix of views and generally have interesting conversations around the games they discuss.
I have never hear of this before but even the name checks out for an item hoarder like me so defnitely gonna give this a listen tonight! The only other RPG-podcast I sometimes listened to was Axe of the Blood God but havened listen to that in a long time.

Gaming:
Triple Click
Nate the Hate

Others:
Shut Up and Sit Down
This Game is Broken
Switched on Pop
The Opportunist
Death by Monsters
O Código do Russo
Medo e Delírio em Brasília
Rádio Escafandro

The first two in others are about board gaming, but felt wrong to add to the gaming category in this place :B

Stuff they don’t want you to know (no, I ain’t a conspiracy nutter!) they talk about ufos, news, conspiracy theories (not in a wacky way) etc it’s good stuff if you’re into it.

a lot but my faves are retronauts, chapo and lowe post (for some bball analysis). ive listen and ocasionally still do dozen others but none managed to grab me like those ones

Video games:
- Video Game History Hour
- No Cartridge
- Insert Credit

Non video games:
- Chapo
- Trashfuture
- Trillbilly Worker's Party
- Dumb & Awful
- Ironweeds
- The Politics of Everything
- The Age of Napoleon

Some others as well, don't feel like going through all of them. Haven't been listening as much recently, I should be getting back into them. Will go through the thread at some point and try out some others

The ones I will absolutely listen to week to week:

aca4a9c0-1d54-0132-b2d8-5f4c86fd3263.webp

- Friends at the Table: Austin Walker of Waypoint/Giant Bomb fame GMs tabletop roleplaying campaigns for his friends. Focused on critical worldbuilding & smart characterization. Best TTRPG podcast for my money, I've been introduced to a ton of systems through this podcast and Austin's GMing is incredible.

Char%27s+Counter+Attack+Art.png

- The Great Gundam Project: A Gundam critical analysis podcast. The hosts (Em and Jackson from Abnormal Mapping) discuss 2 episodes of Gundam a week, in release order, from the original show to today.

HSMTW_full-2.jpg

- Homestuck Made This World: A just-started critical analysis podcast by the Ranged Touch hosts about Homestuck. Having never read it, it's been an incredibly fun ride learning what the fuzz was all about, and the hosts are fantastic.

43ac2c00-2760-0139-32d2-0acc26574db2.webp

- A More Civilized Age: A critical analysis podcast about Star Wars Clone Wars TV show hosted by Rob Zacny of Waypoint/Three Moves Ahead fame. Also been a ton of fun and since it's only 2 episodes a month I find it easy to keep up with.

65057460-6224-0138-97f6-0acc26574db2.webp

- Tech Won't Save Us: Self-described as "challenging the notion that tech alone can drive our world forward by showing that separating tech from politics has consequences for us all, especially the most vulnerable." As someone in the tech industry it's been eye-opening and empowering.

I have a few that I listen to weekly, but I also sometimes just put a random podcast on if I want something to listen to while I'm working. If we're talking about the ones I listen to weekly though:

NVC - there's probably better Nintendo podcasts out there, but in general I like the presenters, and it's a good way of keeping up to date with what's going on in the world of Nintendo.
Podcast Beyond - as above, pretty much!
Waveform - honestly I find these pretty hit or miss, but they're generally okay and cover some interesting tech stories from the past week
Off The Record - The VGC site is run by a bunch of great guys, and they provide a great analysis of the week's gaming news.
F1 Nation - I'm a big F1 fan, and I was kind of surprised by how much I like Damon Hill in this podcast. They provide a good analysis of the week's race, with Hill giving good thoughts from a drivers point of view.
The Back Page - perhaps somewhat niche, but this is a video games podcast hosted by two guys who used to work on the UK gaming magazine scene. I know a lot of their work from back then, and I love hearing their (usually silly) anecdotes from their time in the games industry interspersed with great discussion on current games. They have also had some amazing guests on in the past.

Back
Top Bottom