• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

PlayStation PlayStation Showcase announced (May 24th, 1 PM PDT / 9 PM BST)

I need to go back and have a watch of this properly, but I'm hearing it was a rather middling CG showcase as an E3 replacement.

Feel that Nintendo got the march on both the other guys by decoupling from E3 as it became evident that they were getting monstered between Sony & MS' "third party advert showcase" conferences.

I went on Era, and the front page was properly light on news threads, and that is a pretty telling sign on a showing healthcheck. After a Direct, it is usually banger thread after banger thread, maybe a shadowdrop excitement in there too. Sony don't seem to have managed to find the balance - back in the dark old days of indicative CG announcements. That really doesn't work any more. You watch a Direct, you're getting a blend of both movie and in-game on each game with about 95% of the titles in there.

Going to keenly watch the MS conference to see if they've managed to adapt. The last show had hints of taking on the Direct format - all the games were imminent, there were shadow drops. Although they also have that unusual developer deep dive thing too.

They tried it, it didn't work. :(

Let's see where Steam Deck takes us. That at least managed to land.
Yeah, sadly I'm aware.

Always holding out hope though ;P Maybe portable PCs like the Deck being (relatively) successful will lead us somewhere.

even though Sony only have 1 major first party game coming for the rest of this year in Spidey, third parties more than make up the shortfall on this occasion
I honestly think it's the smart play. Playstation has traditionally been more about third party than first party, and they have a strong slate with FFXVI, SF6 and Alan Wake 2 coming. Let their first party studios spend the year cooking up their stuff.

It also highlights just how much Sony are jumping on the GAAS multiplayer train. Like, they're going all in on it seemingly
They're pretty much doing exactly what they said they'd do.

It's what their tentpole studios are up to that I'm interested in
Supposedly they're planning to make games in "every major genre", which is very vague but it does include stuff they really don't have yet, like sports, FPS and RPGs (unless Horizon or GoW count as RPGs for them?).

Hmmm perhaps bundled with Spider-Man 2?

why does it have to be such a PITA
Honestly Steam is pretty easy to use, you don't have to mess around with settings, it's pretty much download and play.

I'm hearing it was a rather middling CG showcase as an E3 replacement
Being completely fair to the showcase, while it's CG-heavy, quite a few trailers did show short snippets of gameplay at least. I was honestly expecting worse on that front. That said, when I say short snippets, I mean short, save for a few games.

This was pretty good, but didn’t feel like an E3 showcase as we had in the past. I like a lot of stuff they showed. The multiplayer stuff is not for me, but everything else looked at least interesting.
If anything it felt more than a big direct then the central E3 show for the year.

Honestly Steam is pretty easy to use, you don't have to mess around with settings, it's pretty much download and play.
Oh I know it is. I've played stuff (non-demanding titles) that isn't available on modern consoles on it. I'm talking about hardware!

And yeah it's the show itself that wasn't great, mostly due to first party being pretty much not there for a couple of reasons (CGI trailers for multiplayer GaaS, a deadly combination for PS Studios fans who simply don't associate Sony with that), but it's clear that there are plenty of games coming to the system for the rest of the year.

The general expectation for PS Showcases, Directs, etc, is for the company to show you why you should buy their console, and that typically relies on exclusives. For example, the Xbox conference coming up no matter how many great games are shown, Starfield and whatever other game Xbox can only provide is gonna be everyone’s focal point not games that are multiplatform. And let’s be honest we’re at the point in the industry where “exclusive” basically is only truly defined by Nintendo for better or worse but it’s why their Directs are much more exciting.

I think we generally have to adjust expectations for modern times in the industry where platform agnosticism is almost uniform. So these huge conferences aren’t going to “Wow” in the same manner we’re accustomed to like the past.

I’m a pretty big PlayStation fan but yeah that was pretty mid. I loved Spider-Man and Miles Morales, but even Spider-Man 2 wasn’t doing much for me. Visually it looks great but gameplay wise it mostly looks like a retread on what we’ve already played before. I’m cautiously optimistic about the Haven game Fairgame$ because of Jade Raymond, but Sony’s hyper focus on live service games isn’t interesting to me, aside from Marathon, Concord and The Last of Us MP game. That said, I’m pretty happy about the number of Sci Fi themed games.

I do wonder how they plan on announcing the PS5 "Slim" that is apparently also coming this year. Probably closer to release as to not draw people away from buying the current models.

Lol really? I have had zero interest in getting a PS5 or anything next gen and was pretty sure I wasn’t going to dive into next gen until I bought a series x to play Starfield. That showcase convinced me I need a PS5
I’m not sure how when so few things showed gameplay or a solid release date that wasn’t just “2023” or “2024”, especially when most things that did are multiplatform. I’m very curious what convinced you to pick up a PS5 from this showcase because Spider-man 2 was arguably the only good showing here.

I’m not sure how when so few things showed gameplay or a solid release date that wasn’t just “2023” or “2024”, especially when most things that did are multiplatform. I’m very curious what convinced you to pick up a PS5 from this showcase because Spider-man 2 was arguably the only good showing here.
Spider-Man, Metal Gear, Dragons Dogma 2, that storybook game, marathon, ALAN WAKE 2!!!!, that new journey game. Heck even Assassins Creed looked interesting to me and I haven’t liked anything since 2. I must admit I have cooled on buying a PlayStation after realizing almost all of those will be on series x and I want to get one for Starfield. Still a very exciting showcase for me though.

I saw Nate post on Era that he thinks Sony didn't really feel the urgency to do a blowout given how well the PS5 is doing right now, and I'm inclined to agree with him on this occasion. PS5 is selling like $500 hot cakes, and even though Sony only have 1 major first party game coming for the rest of this year in Spidey, third parties more than make up the shortfall on this occasion. They can afford to hold back for the next 9-12 months.

Honestly, this felt like it targeted investors as much as gamers, the CGI teasers with little to no gameplay seemed more to highlight 'hey look at what all our new acquisitions are getting up to.' It also highlights just how much Sony are jumping on the GAAS multiplayer train. Like, they're going all in on it seemingly.
Which feels... weird to me. Like, I get that it's not a game model that's going away or anything, but with how many GaaS games have crashed and burned lately, both in terms of ones that are shuttering after very short times, as well as new releases like Redfall, or ones that have gotten massive online pushback (Suicide Squad) you'd think companies would be calming down a bit on GaaS. Of course I know that a lot of these have been in development for a long time and you can't just change course that fast, so maybe that's part of it.

you'd think companies would be calming down a bit on GaaS
GaaS means more engagement, more incentives to subscribe to PSN, more chances for microtransactions, etc. Sony is willing to put out ten of these things because it doesn’t matter if nine of them fail, as long as one makes it big.

GaaS means more engagement, more incentives to subscribe to PSN, more chances for microtransactions, etc. Sony is willing to put out ten of these things because it doesn’t matter if nine of them fail, as long as one makes it big.
Yeah, I had that thought too, but it's also incredibly depressing to think about.

The issue with this showcase wasn't that they showed GAAS, it's that we only saw GAAS announcements from them. They've been damage controlling their way through the past 2 years saying GAAS isn't replacing their single player offerings. The first showcase in a year and a half rolls around and the only Single Player title is the same one they ended their last showcase with. Seems pretty suspicious if you ask me.

Of course we have single player third party offerings, but I can play those elsewhere. We need more than just Spider-Man 2 that can only be played on PS5, but they refuse to give us anything else.

It's like if Nintendo said that Labo wasn't replacing regular games, and then in the next event they show 4 labo games and no regular games.

The issue with this showcase wasn't that they showed GAAS, it's that we only saw GAAS announcements from them. They've been damage controlling their way through the past 2 years saying GAAS isn't replacing their single player offerings. The first showcase in a year and a half rolls around and the only Single Player title is the same one they ended their last showcase with. Seems pretty suspicious if you ask me.

Of course we have single player third party offerings, but I can play those elsewhere. We need more than just Spider-Man 2 that can only be played on PS5, but they refuse to give us anything else.

It's like if Nintendo said that Labo wasn't replacing regular games, and then in the next event they show 4 labo games and no regular games.
The damage control is not just consumers but to their investors as well. I’m pretty sure this showcase was to show them that they are still on track; since they promised 12 by 2025 yet don’t really have much concrete at this point in time & it seems they are falling behind schedule.

So that was quite the showcase. Overall, I liked the selection of games. There were a lot of good 3rd party games and indie games shown. Spider-Man 2 looks hot. All that said, Sony dropped the ball with first party reveals. Out of the three new games announced, two of them were just CGI trailers and one of those games were extremely barebones at that. Hell Divers looks fun so I might give that a whirl. Otherwise though, most of Sony's studios are just farther out with their projects. Game development is a PITA.

Right now this is what we know is on the docket from Sony (either PS Studios or published) for the next couple of years

Announced for 2023:
Spider-Man 2
Hell Divers 2
Stellar Blade
Convallaira

Announced for 2024:
Concord
Rise of Ronin
Lost Soul Aside
MLB: The Show 2024 (eternal)

Announced with no window:
Wolverine
TLOU: Factions
FairGame$
Death Stranding 2
Marathon

Also to note, Stellar Blade and Convallaria at the moment are 2023 games, but we didn't get an update yesterday so either one could be a delay candidate.

Is there another new project or two for 2024 that Sony hasn't announced? I would be surprised, but at the moment a combination of these games will make up the majority of Sony's first party output next 12-18 months

This is both useful to the average consumer and petty-funny buuuuuuut... what would be even funnier is their Persona 3 remake announcement having a "timed exclusivity announcement window" like last year's ports. Oh boy.
leaks are already saying P3 remake are coming to playstation PC and possibly switch

Is there another new project or two for 2024 that Sony hasn't announced? I would be surprised, but at the moment a combination of these games will make up the majority of Sony's first party output next 12-18 months
I think Twisted Metal could easily sneak in there.

leaks are already saying P3 remake are coming to playstation PC and possibly switch
Yeah I know. I was referring to Xbox embargoing for 2 days the Persona ports (3, 4, and 5) coming to other platforms.
So that was quite the showcase. Overall, I liked the selection of games. There were a lot of good 3rd party games and indie games shown. Spider-Man 2 looks hot. All that said, Sony dropped the ball with first party reveals. Out of the three new games announced, two of them were just CGI trailers and one of those games were extremely barebones at that. Hell Divers looks fun so I might give that a whirl. Otherwise though, most of Sony's studios are just farther out with their projects. Game development is a PITA.

Right now this is what we know is on the docket from Sony (either PS Studios or published) for the next couple of years

Announced for 2023:
Spider-Man 2
Hell Divers 2
Stellar Blade
Convallaira

Announced for 2024:
Concord
Rise of Ronin
Lost Soul Aside
MLB: The Show 2024 (eternal)

Announced with no window:
Wolverine
TLOU: Factions
FairGame$
Death Stranding 2
Marathon

Also to note, Stellar Blade and Convallaria at the moment are 2023 games, but we didn't get an update yesterday so either one could be a delay candidate.

Convallaria was dated for 2023? Not that I care about the game but still.

I think as far as first/"second" party single player stuff Ronin, Spidey, Stellar Blade are all hitting before end of 2024 no doubt. DS2, Lost Soul Aside have a chance. Wolverine a tiny, tiny one.

SP experiences aren't dead but yeah, this did borderline feel like a presentation aimed at investors. Fuck me.

I don't get buying the new gen yet. Just seems nothing new to play. Really waiting for the next gen killer app that shows why these consoles exist aside from framerates.

The Haven thing: "Hey poor people! Eat the rich, amirite? But don't forget to fight among yourselves first!" lmao fuck off game

At least i got Dragon's Dogma and Alan Wake out of this, i consider myself satisfied.

I'm probably too much out of the loop, but it feels that this generation has just barely started for Playstation, and I was expecting the show to present software tailored to the machine, giving the direction for the next 3 years, like the infamous E3 of Dreams.
I feel absolutely no hype, and no "ho shit I'm so disappointed I won't be able to play this game".
Playstation brand is healthier than ever but I've never been so uninterested in it...

The damage control is not just consumers but to their investors as well. I’m pretty sure this showcase was to show them that they are still on track; since they promised 12 by 2025 yet don’t really have much concrete at this point in time & it seems they are falling behind schedule.
12 GaaS games in like the span of two years fucking hell

The general expectation for PS Showcases, Directs, etc, is for the company to show you why you should buy their console, and that typically relies on exclusives. For example, the Xbox conference coming up no matter how many great games are shown, Starfield and whatever other game Xbox can only provide is gonna be everyone’s focal point not games that are multiplatform. And let’s be honest we’re at the point in the industry where “exclusive” basically is only truly defined by Nintendo for better or worse but it’s why their Directs are much more exciting.

I think we generally have to adjust expectations for modern times in the industry where platform agnosticism is almost uniform. So these huge conferences aren’t going to “Wow” in the same manner we’re accustomed to like the past.
This just simply is not how I engage with games. I consider all games on a platform not only exclusives. In fact exclusives are pretty low on my list of priorities. For instance out of that Sony conference the things most likely to sway me towards their console is the fact that I have the option to turn it into a VR machine and the tablet thing. Spiderman barely moves the needle for me.

This just simply is not how I engage with games. I consider all games on a platform not only exclusives. In fact exclusives are pretty low on my list of priorities. For instance out of that Sony conference the things most likely to sway me towards their console is the fact that I have the option to turn it into a VR machine and the tablet thing. Spiderman barely moves the needle for me.
I don't even require exclusives, just... games that look interesting and fun and honestly generic mp team shooter #1-10 don't really do it for me, it reminded me a bit of the infamous Farming Direct - so much stuff was live service in and around the flashes of good stuff and for Sony's first party games to be no different (apart from Spider-Man) to half the filler crap that gets trotted out at TGA every year was pretty disappointing. If they're gonna do multiplayer, they should do it differently and better

I don't even require exclusives, just... games that look interesting and fun and honestly generic mp team shooter #1-10 don't really do it for me, it reminded me a bit of the infamous Farming Direct - so much stuff was live service in and around the flashes of good stuff and for Sony's first party games to be no different (apart from Spider-Man) to half the filler crap that gets trotted out at TGA every year was pretty disappointing. If they're gonna do multiplayer, they should do it differently and better
Oh yeah I wasn’t saying that made the showcase good or anything. I just feel like people overvalue exclusives. In a world where most games are multi platform a console could have no exclusives and you would still never have enough time to play everything. For me console features are way more important

12 GaaS games in like the span of two years fucking hell
I don’t like rooting for games to fail, and I hope these games turn out good, but at the same time I really want this to blow up completely in Sony’s face. It’s not their strength, and they’ve dominated off of their single player offerings, it just feels like a disaster waiting to happen.

There aren't enough people for all these GaaS games to succeed. There will be a 1 whale and a bunch of failures.
And the whales already exist. All Fortnite or Warzone has to do is add extraction modes, splatoon modes, or whatever and all of these games Sony announced are dead.

The problem with trying to be like Fortnite is that all Fortnite has to do is jack your mechanic and you're dead. They literally did that with PUBG and they'll do it again.

I bet Fortnite adds a "Foam Party" mode long before Foamstars even comes out.

And the whales already exist. All Fortnite or Warzone has to do is add extraction modes, splatoon modes, or whatever and all of these games Sony announced are dead.

The problem with trying to be like Fortnite is that all Fortnite has to do is jack your mechanic and you're dead. They literally did that with PUBG and they'll do it again.

PUBG might not be the best example as that is still somehow shockingly popular lol.

Nintendo already released more games this year, during the Switch’s twilight phase, than Sony will during the beginning of the PS5
And the majority of their PS5 exclusive games were released by insomniac.
There aren't enough people for all these GaaS games to succeed. There will be a 1 whale and a bunch of failures.
The thing that gets me, is the majority of the whales started just by dumb luck. Minecraft, Fortnite, PubG, Rocket League just sort of lucked into it. People really liked the games when they weren't serviced based, and then the games gradually evolved into it and were very happy.

Really, the only 2 service games that were intentioned to be live service, and have actually been successful are CoD Warzone and Apex. Everything else has been a huge failure for the most part. I really don't see how this is a winning strategy.

Call of Duty already has an extraction mode haha. It's not good lmao.

Really, really hope they can pull of Metal Gear without Kojima.

Why the fk is Marathon seemingly a multiplayer only game? I went from elation to disappointment on that one. The original was one of the first FPS games I ever played.

Was really looking forward to Allen Wake 2, but will sadly be skipping it because they chose to go digital only. Bummer.

And the majority of their PS5 exclusive games were released by insomniac.

The thing that gets me, is the majority of the whales started just by dumb luck. Minecraft, Fortnite, PubG, Rocket League just sort of lucked into it. People really liked the games when they weren't serviced based, and then the games gradually evolved into it and were very happy.

Really, the only 2 service games that were intentioned to be live service, and have actually been successful are CoD Warzone and Apex. Everything else has been a huge failure for the most part. I really don't see how this is a winning strategy.
While some luck is involved, I wouldn’t classify those games as “just sort of lucking into it.” Which you even note in the next sentence which contradicts your point about luck. We have seen games “luck” into an audience then fail to nurture them into recurring customers or whales before.

The reason many GAAS games have been failing lately is because they are not appealing for audiences to stick around & become whales. If those audiences stay around then the developer usually implodes after the fact with content & proceed to leave. The strategy can work but not at the amount SIE is shooting for & in that time frame.

I thought the showcase was fine. There were a dozen+ games shown that I will definitely be playing, so I really have nothing to complain about.

I hope Sword and the Sea and Revenant Hill make their way to Switch, those plus Plucky Squire were highlights for me

Which feels... weird to me. Like, I get that it's not a game model that's going away or anything, but with how many GaaS games have crashed and burned lately, both in terms of ones that are shuttering after very short times, as well as new releases like Redfall, or ones that have gotten massive online pushback (Suicide Squad) you'd think companies would be calming down a bit on GaaS. Of course I know that a lot of these have been in development for a long time and you can't just change course that fast, so maybe that's part of it.
Creating a successful GAAS is like drilling for oil in the desert. You can spend a hell of a long time wandering in the wilderness surviving on scraps and getting no success, but you just need to find that one successful strike and then you're set for life. It's why Ubisoft have been scrambling for a successful GAAS as well, and why the likes of EA have pivoted back to single player titles because with Apex, FIFA/Madden and (to a lesser extent) Battlefield, they're now set on that front.

Of course, much like oil in real life, there's evidence that there's only a limited number of wells that can be successfully tapped. There's only so many service games that the current audience can sustain. Gamers don't really have the time to balance multiple service titles while also purchasing new single player games.

I suppose from Sony's perspective they're now set regarding single player content with Last of Us and God of War and what have you, so branching out to develop a successful GAAS to add to their portfolio seems like a logical move to expand their audience and revenue. It could also be a reaction to Microsoft's attempt to acquire ActiBlizz; they could be concerned that one of their golden geese is about to be snatched away and want to have a title that can serve as a plan B of sorts.

I've seen enough. After Spider-Man 2, Sony is likely done with 1st party games for the PS5. That tells me we're likely getting a PS6 in mid 2024 since they're refusing to announce new 1st party games for PS5 beyond this year.

All I'll say is that CG trailers for multiplayer games need to stop. That first announcement was such a whiff that it kind of set the tone for the whole showcase. To top it off, it wasn't even the multiplayer game everyone was expecting to be there.

Back
Top Bottom