• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

PlayStation Playstation Plus Premium Classic Title Discussion/Leak Thread

How is NSO under the bare Minimum?

Are we reading the same news? Because for now this is being a disaster.
It is a disaster. Incredibly weak launch lineup, possible performance/emulation issues, bad filter, PAL versions. Even the troubled NSO N64 launch Is starting to look good by comparison and the NSO NES, SNES or MD launches each annihilated what we're seeing so far for PS1 or PSP Classics.

Basically the only thing Sony seems to be getting really right are the legacy owner entitlements.

It is a disaster. Incredibly weak launch lineup, possible performance/emulation issues, bad filter, PAL versions. Even the troubled NSO N64 launch Is starting to look good by comparison and the NSO NES, SNES or MD launches each annihilated what we're seeing so far for PS1 or PSP Classics.

Basically the only thing Sony seems to be getting really right are the legacy owner entitlements.
Which, in my opinion, is easy to commit to when you know the biggest games a lot of people bought on PS3 will never appear on this service (Final fantasies, etc, etc.)

Sorry but this is all wrong

Edit: Sorry misread thought you were bad mouthing NSO

The main (only) advantage this has over NSO is that it appears as though we will be able to buy the classics individually without needing the (expensive) subscription.

That's great for me, but I imagine not as great for Sony, though if they're getting paid either way it's still a net win for them.

Once again, the core problem with this is the quality of the classic offerings, which is quite bad so far.

Resistance: Retribution rated in Korea (+ further clarifcation on why some titles are NTSC.)
Resistance-Retribution-Ratings_05-26-22.jpg

This is a bit peculiar, as only the third title in the main PS3 trilogy is planned to be available through streaming.

As for the current regional situation, this is what i found.

Oddly, Wild Arms and Ape Escape also have the "Each language is a seperate disk" problem. So i'm wondering if they ended up using the PAL versions by mistake in those cases.

Some of the PAL versions they've chosen to use are English no matter what; Jumping Flash and Kurushi. What's curious is that the PS Store lists Ape Escape and Wild Arms as supporting all of the standard EFIGS langauges even though it appears to just be the English iso? Also bizzare. Worms World Party is the worst case, though, since the NTSC version is one of the rare US PS1 games with multilanguage support.

No use trying to think of ways to justify their choices; I don't think Sony themselves thought that far when organising the service.

a whole bunch of updates
strap in, there's a lot to unpack here since i missed the launch.

the big one is that the 50hz situation has finally been resolved, with all regions getting access to the 60hz versions of the games at some point in the future.

in terms of games, these are the new additions.
  • no heroes allowed!
  • locoroco midnight carnival
  • soulcalibur: broken destiny (leaked in a blog post)
  • disgaea: afternoon of darkness (has a ps store listing in certain regions, but is not currently available for download.)
  • valkyrie profile: lenneth (not officially part of the plus premium catalog, but the fact it's a pre-order bonus exclusive to playstation platforms leads me to believe it's using the same emulator)
evidently the reason why there's so many psp games is because it's easier to work out the rights for them.

also, yes. i'm aware the august lineup didn't add any new classic titles. but there's still a good chunk of unreleased titles that haven't been dealt with yet.
i wouldn't start worrying about the issue until there actually is several month long gaps between releases.

september releases
yep, the monthly games have returned.
Syphon Filter 2 | PS1

Agency operatives Gabe Logan and Lian Xing discover that a plot to sell off the deadly Syphon Filter virus stems from within their own organization. As they attempt to expose the conspirators and prevent the sale, the Agency responds by alerting military and police forces that Logan and Xing must be eliminated. Originally released in 2000, Syphon Filter 2 is enhanced with up-rendering, rewind, quick save, and custom video filters.
Toy Story 3 | PSP

Help Buzz, Woody and the rest of the toys ensure no toy gets left behind and enjoy mini-games in this adventure originally released on the PSP, now enhanced with up-rendering, rewind, quick save, and custom video filters.
Kingdom of Paradise | PSP

Embark on an epic action RPG as an outcast swordsman, one of the last of his clan, must unlock secrets once thought lost and restore harmony to the land. Originally released on PSP, the game is now enhanced with up-rendering, rewind, quick save, and custom video filters.
toy story 3 is an odd choice, considering the ps3 version is more well known. definitely a good example of them needing to work out a non cloud-based ps3 emulator at some point.

as for syphon filter 2, sony bend themselves were the ones to confirm it has trophies once more.

My sub ends on Sept 13 and I was hoping they'd have something to make me consider staying, better than last month which had literally nothing but super meh regardless. Hopefully Ridge Racer 2 will be purchasable and that's about it.

Harvest Moon: Back to Nature is coming.
another month with zero non-ps3 classic titles, though it is worth bringing up the fact that two of the games (Limbo & Ultra Street Fighter IV) were replaced with the native PS4 versions at the last second.

Harvest-Moon-Back-to-Nature_10-18-22_Rating_002.png

on the other hand, this newly leaked title is pretty major.
the description explicitly calls it "Harvest Moon", which is notable as Marvelous (who owns the actual games, now known as "Story of Seasons") split off from Natsume (who owns the name "harvest moon" on it's own) a long time ago.

the general implication was that most of the series could no longer get unmodified re-releases in the west as a result of this, with the Switch Online SNES app recently getting the original game only in Japan as an example.
notably, the publisher info only mentions Marvelous and not Natsume. which raises further questions.

Not super enjoying these new additions but most of my PS5 playtime since I got it last month has actually been the Dark Cloud port :p

December games announced
The latest batch of games for Extra and Premium have been announced:

PlayStation Plus Extra and Premium | Game Catalog - Available starting December 20.
  • WWE 2K22 | PS4 - available on January 3 2023
  • Far Cry 5 | PS4
  • Far Cry New Dawn | PS4
  • Far Cry Primal | PS4
  • Mortal Shell | PS4, PS5
  • Judgment | PS4, PS5
  • Yakuza: Like a Dragon | PS4, PS5
  • Yakuza 6: The Song of Life | PS4
  • Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor | PS4
  • Middle-Earth: Shadow of War | PS4
  • The Pedestrian | PS4, PS5
  • Evil Genius 2 | PS4, PS5
  • Adventure Time Pirates of the Enchiridion | PS4
  • Ben 10: Power Trip | PS4, PS5
  • Gigantosaurus The Game | PS4
  • Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire ā€“ Ultimate Edition | PS4
  • Worms W.M.D | PS4
  • The Escapists 2 | PS4

PlayStation Plus Premium | Classics
  • Ridge Racer 2 | PSP
  • Heavenly Sword | PS3
  • Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus | PS1
  • Pinball Heroes | PSP

Sony does not want to give the Premium tier much love at all.
I guess they figure that they just gave us five Ratchet and Clank games last month. Looks like four to five games for that tier will be the norm.

Hey, I banked a couple of years at a discount, so I'm ultimately okay with it. But also, add more games, dammit.

Battlefront 2 (PSP) has received a store page
honestly, i'd say this is a fairly good month.

Ridge Racer has been stuck in stasis for a while, Abe's Exodous is alright, and Pinball Heroes is fairly unique in that it was initally released as a set of downloadable tables you could either buy seperately or in a bundle. so i'm curious how they'll work that out. (if you bought the GOTY edition of Uncharted 2 back in the day, that actually included the Uncharted table as a bonus.)

BTW @Red Monster , i appreciate that you've fixed the thread title for the monthly update. but you missed a new title that was leaked a week or two ago.
SWBF2-PSP_12-01-22-768x432.jpg

The PSP port of Battlefront 2 got added to the PS Store database at some point, really.
a bit frustrating that they still haven't worked out the kinks for the older PS2 emulator, considering Xbox One not only got the Original Xbox version, but it also includes the otherwise lost DLC that was exclusively released for it.

there was a pair of PSP-exclusive Battlefront titles created, so i'm not sure why Sony didn't start with those first.

honestly, i'd say this is a fairly good month.

Ridge Racer has been stuck in stasis for a while, Abe's Exodous is alright, and Pinball Heroes is fairly unique in that it was initally released as a set of downloadable tables you could either buy seperately or in a bundle. so i'm curious how they'll work that out. (if you bought the GOTY edition of Uncharted 2 back in the day, that actually included the Uncharted table as a bonus.)

BTW @Red Monster , i appreciate that you've fixed the thread title for the monthly update. but you missed a new title that was leaked a week or two ago.
SWBF2-PSP_12-01-22-768x432.jpg

The PSP port of Battlefront 2 got added to the PS Store database at some point, really.
a bit frustrating that they still haven't worked out the kinks for the older PS2 emulator, considering Xbox One not only got the Original Xbox version, but it also includes the otherwise lost DLC that was exclusively released for it.

there was a pair of PSP-exclusive Battlefront titles created, so i'm not sure why Sony didn't start with those first.
Youā€™re right, I did. Youā€™re much better at this kinda thing than I am! Next time Iā€™ll just ping you šŸ˜‰

January games + misc updates
223627-syphon-filter-3-playstation-front-cover.jpg

Syphon Filter 3 | PS1​

Special agents Gabe Logan and Lian Xing stand accused of conspiring to spread the fatal Syphon Filter virus around the world. However, the trail of treason leads straight to their former employers ā€“ The Agency, and only Gabe and Lian can uncover the covert conspiracy and stop the virus in its tracks. Missions include stealth, assassination and all-out combat, plus a wide range of mini-games including evasion, retrieval and demolition. A host of secret bonus missions and the new extended two-player deathmatch mode deliver maximum longevity and replay value. This version of Syphon Filter 3 is enhanced with up-rendering, rewind, quick save, and custom video filters.

25540-star-wars-demolition-playstation-front-cover.jpg

Star Wars Demolition | PS1​

Choose from over 10 iconic Star Wars vehicles and battle it out across eight intense arenas and four game modes. Blast your way to victory with an arsenal that includes laser cannons, proton torpedoes and concussion missiles.
This version of Star Wars Demolition is enhanced with up-rendering, rewind, quick save, and custom video filters.

175216-hot-shots-golf-2-playstation-front-cover.png

Hot Shots Golf 2 | PS1​

Dust down your clubs ā€“ the game for every keen golfer has just returned to the top of the leaderboard. Combining addictive gameplay and stunning visuals, Hot Shots Golf 2 delivers a comprehensive golfing experience, with a wacky sense of humor. This version is enhanced with up-rendering, rewind, quick save, and custom video filters.
another fairly good month. with Star Wars Demolition as the unexpected "big" title, this is legitimately the first time it's been re-released in any form.

as for the misc news. Pinball Heroes from last month turned out to be the first PSP release to support trophies, with the technically related (it uses the same emulator, but isn't part of the premium library. instead existing as a pre-order bonus for VALKYRIE ELYSIUM.) VALKYRIE PROFILE: LENNETH following shortly afterwards.

If Sony wants me to subscribe to Premium, theyā€™re gonna have to start bringing the PS2 and PSP games.

febuary releases
before we get into those, let's note the current patch situation.
over the past couple of weeks, various 1st-party titles in the lineup, such as Super Stardust Portable and Jumping Flash. have gotten updates adding trophy support.
this is particularly good news for trophy hunters, as it means Sony can add them in without it cutting in to the flow of adding games to the catalog.
they've also finally fixed Stardust Portable so you can claim it if you purchased the game previously.
anyways....
4299838-the-legend-of-dragoon-playstation-front-cover.png

The Legend of Dragoon | PS1​

Unveil a fantasy of magnificence, deception, magical combat, and retribution as you join swordsman Dart and his companions to harness the spiritual forces of Dragons and triumph over evil. Using a unique and innovative tactical combat system, transform into Dragoons and unleash extraordinary powers. Control a wide variety of characters that wield unique weapons and Dragoon attacks powered by the elements in this unforgettable role-playing game. Experience The Legend of Dragoon ā€“ originally released on PS1, enhanced with up-rendering, rewind, quick save, and custom video filters.

5203206-wild-arms-2-playstation-front-cover.png

Wild Arms 2 | PS1​

Itā€™s about one world hanging in the balance. Where one hero must sacrifice his heart for peace. Where courage and fear, love and malice, heroes and villains go hand in hand. Itā€™s power that exceeds human knowledge. Itā€™s neither dream nor reality. Itā€™s what legends are made of. Experience Wild Arms 2 originally released on PS1, enhanced with up-rendering, rewind, quick save, and custom video filters.

3965667-harvest-moon-back-to-nature-playstation-front-cover.jpg

Harvest Moon: Back to Nature | PS1​

Itā€™s a different kind of RPG for the entire family. As a child you visited your Grandfatherā€™s ranch when vacation plans fell through. Return to the farm that holds fond childhood memories and rejuvenate its long neglected fields. Tend to your livestock and interact with over 50 characters. As you struggle to make the farm something your grandfather would be proud of, one nagging question remains: What ever happened to the little girl that you knew a decade ago?

Experience Harvest Moon: Back to Nature originally released on PS1, enhanced with up-rendering, rewind, quick save, and custom video filters. The game has been converted to PS4 and PS5 consoles and provides newly added features. Consequently, there may be times where the title plays differently from the PS1 version, or where some features may cause the title to not function properly. This version does not support the PS1ā€™s peripherals, therefore some functionality may not be available.
it's another solid month, plus there's now official confirmation that the legal issues between Natsume and Marvelous preventing the older Harvest Moon games from getting re-released unmodified has finally been resolved.
hopefully this should trickle over to Nintendo Switch Online at some point.

one more thing, a trophy list for Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror has been added to the PSN backend. it's been known that it's coming since the inital Korean Ratings Board leak, but the fact it got trophies so early on is a bit unusual. presumably this is one of next months games?

Last edited:
Iā€™d like to see more PSP games, and whatā€™s a guy gotta do to get PS2 games on this service, but this month isnā€™t bad.

The real winners are Extra subscribers, though. Horizon Forbidden West, RE7, Scarlet Nexus, The Quarry and more are coming to Extra. Whew.

march releases
5813156-r4-ridge-racer-type-4-playstation-front-cover.png

Ridge Racer Type 4 | PS1​

Ridge Racerā€™s four-wheeled action returns to PlayStation. Boasting a gorgeous visual style, sublime track design and a killer soundtrack, Type 4 builds its arcade gameplay around a multi-race Grand Prix, asking you to pick a racing team to drive for and an extensive range of cars to unlock.

11099710-ape-academy-2-psp-front-cover.jpg

Ape Academy 2 | PSP​

The apes have finally graduated from the Ape Academy, so this term things are going to be a little different! Evil genius Specter has invented a new card game and itā€™s sweeping the globe, helping him on his way towards world domination. Get ready to mix it up with the monkeys using Specterā€™s ā€˜scissors, paper, rockā€™ cards ā€“ there are 300 to collect ā€“ before taking them on in over 100 fiendishly difficult mini-games. Just donā€™t underestimate the apes, no matter how silly they act; Specter has put an ultra-rare platinum monkey card up for grabs (not to mention a yearā€™s supply of bananas) and theyā€™ll do anything to claim the prize!

4860855-syphon-filter-dark-mirror-psp-front-cover.jpg

Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror | PSP​

You are Precision Strike Operative Gabe Logan, commanding a black box U.S. agency that legally doesnā€™t exist. While investigating the para-military group Red Section, Logan uncovers a project known only as Dark Mirror. To neutralize this latest threat to global security, Logan must infiltrate, recon and execute decisively. Experience Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror originally released on PSP, enhanced with up-rendering, rewind, quick save, and custom video filters.
yep, it's time for more Ridge Racer. Dark Mirror (PSP though, not the PS2 port.) has been properly added after it's trophy list was released too early, and Ape Academy 2 is particularly notable as it's the first time the game has seen a release in North America (Europe got it in English already, though.)

notably, it was obscure enough that the article initially stated that it was Ape Escape 2, which has been on PS4 for years. though fixing it had it's own issues.....

no new leaks from what i can recall, but i did want to draw attention to this interview with the developers of the Chrono Cross remaster.
"Back when the project was launched, Chrono Cross was possibly going to become unplayable," remaster producer Koichiro Sakamoto explains. "There was a Game Archive service on PlayStation 3 that allowed you to play PlayStation 1 games. But PlayStation 4 was already on the market. We didn't know at the time if PlayStation 4 would also have a Game Archive service. It looked like Chrono Cross could become unplayable. So, a remaster project was set up. That's the backstory."
this tragic uncertainty about being able to easily re-release older Playstation games was a massive scar in the PS4's lifecycle, and it's good that Sony has finally resolved it. (Square, as noted. is already using the emulation tech, with the recent re-release of Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth being the first.)

That is a great find! Sony did a lot of things right with the PS4, but divorcing itself from virtually the entire PS1-3 catalogue was horrible.

I think Iā€™ve read that before, that the reason for the Chrono Cross remaster was because of uncertainty regarding PS4 emulation or back compat or whatever it is. Thatā€™s actually a pretty cool backstory for the release of the remaster.

May Releases
April was another empty month, but Dark Mirror did at least get an update adding dual-analog support.

not to sure on the specifics, but i'd assume it's mapping the buttons to the right analogue stick. rather than reprogramming the game to support it properly like this unofficial Mario 64 DS patch.

the proper May releases are fairly decent. though it's entirely PSP games.
4114277-syphon-filter-logans-shadow-psp-front-cover.jpg

Syphon Filter: Loganā€™s Shadow

How do you hunt in the shadowsā€¦ when the shadows are hunting you? Unseen, unheard and unknown ā€“ Gabe Logan, Precision Strike Operative, is no stranger to secrecy. But when Loganā€™s latest mission to capture a lethal weapon incriminates his closest allies, an intimate secret threatens to become a deadly lie. Experience Syphon Filter: Loganā€™s Shadow originally released on the PSP, enhanced with up-rendering, rewind, quick save, and custom video filters.

5432655-blade-dancer-lineage-of-light-psp-front-cover.jpg

Blade Dancer: Lineage of Light

In a world protected by the gentle Prismatic Moon, an ancient evil is stirring. The Dread Knight has reappeared to wreak havoc across the land, and the Dark Lord gathers his strength. The worldā€™s only hope rests in the hands of Lance, a reluctant young adventurer. Discover your heritage and learn what it means to be the Protector of Light, Blade Dancer! Experience Blade Dancer: Lineage of Light originally released on the PSP, enhanced with up-rendering, rewind, quick save, and custom video filters.

1205181-pursuit-force-psp-front-cover.jpg

Pursuit Force

Five vicious gangs are fighting for control of Capital City. The terrified public has given up hope ā€“ and the Chief of Police wants results, fast! Jump into action as a member of the elite Pursuit Force and rid the state of corruption. Dive behind the wheel of a truck, a speedboat or even a helicopter as you hunt down criminals and recover stolen goods. Experience Pursuit Force originally released on the PSP, enhanced with up-rendering, rewind, quick save, and custom video filters.
Blade Dancer is curious, considering it was published by NISA in the US despite being a 1st party IP (No Heroes Allowed started the same way.)
we know the base NIS studio is planning to add games to Premium eventually thanks to that old Disgaea listing, but this is technically first.

June Releases

Herc's Adventures is the stand-out title, while it was previously on the PS3/Vita/PSP store. physical copies are extremely rare and expensive nowadays. making it an easy purchase if you don't already have it yet.

interestingly, Playstation's tweet initally mentioned the PSP game "Coded Soul" (an extremely obscure Japan-only PSP RPG) was part of the lineup as well. but it was quickly deleted.
if it's something planned for later, that would be a huge deal. as it seems likely they'd be localizing the game in English for the first time.

July Releases
a brief update on Coded Soul, as it turns out the game wasn't translated to English (and is region locked) unfortunately. though you still get multiple langauge options, specfically Japanese, Chinese, and Korean text. which are split between regions that use them as the primary langauge.
none of these are new, specfically. but it's still interesting to see Sony pull the latter two translations out of obscurity.

the proper July releases are rather obvious. they're pulling out the first two Twisted Metal games to promote the impending TV series, with Gravity Crash Portable getting randomly thrown in as a bonus.
3178506-gravity-crash-portable-psp-front-cover.jpg

seems like a missed opportunity to not properly re-release the other 4 Twisted Metal games (3 for PS1 and 1 for PSP, the former notably haven't been re-released at all since their inital launch.) but it seems likely music licensing issues are to blame, with 4 in particular notably featuring Rob Zombie himself as a playable character.

August Releases
4356719-medievil-resurrection-psp-front-cover.jpg

MediEvil: Resurrection

The realm of Gallowmere needs a hero. Has anyone seen Sir Daniel Fortesque? Join Sir Danā€™s brave quest to thwart the evil sorcerer Zarok. Bludgeon your way through bucketloads of battlefields with masses of weapons and gazillions of combat moves in your journey ahead.

4401237-ape-escape-on-the-loose-psp-front-cover.jpg

Ape Escape: On the Loose

A horde of crazy apes has stolen the Professorā€™s time machine and travelled back through history to alter the past and ensure that monkeykind rules the world. Itā€™s up to Spike ā€“ and his collection of incredible gadgets ā€“ to save the day.

5338391-pursuit-force-extreme-justice-psp-front-cover.jpg

Pursuit Force: Extreme Justice

Capital City is plagued by crime. Vicious new gangs are on the rampage and the Chief of Police has had enough. Thereā€™s only one solution to the mindless degeneracy on the streetsā€¦ Itā€™s time to fight fire with fire and let the elite Pursuit Force unit unleash its own brand of Extreme Justice. Explode into bigger, faster battles as bullets fly across tanks, trains, helicopters ā€“ and even the wings of an airplane! Meet the new Pursuit Force recruits, including a daredevil pilot, trigger-happy gunner and rubber-burning driver.
a double selection of PSP remakes of Playstation 1 games, one of which already got a PS4 remake (that notably includes an emulated version of the PS1 original, a possible origin of the current emulator used for the Premium games.) a few years ago.

October Releases
a brief little detail that i've kept neglecting to mention thanks to the gaps in releases, Sony has actually started making slight modifications to a few games for legal reasons. with Twisted Metal 2 having both the red cross symbol and the Hollywood sign edited out of the game.

this is something they've generally (one of the only exceptions i can remember is the original PS4 versions of the GTA trilogy, which had the same music removals that the PC version got in later updates) avoided as far back as the PS3 era. but it might help with ensuring more games can get added.

it's also worth bringing up the recent rumours that Sony is revamping the PS2 emulator to be up to spec with the PS1/PSP ones, and in turn ensuring games from that console would start getting re-released again. i'm a bit iffy on if the guy is a legit insider, but it still seems likely to happen eventually.

6537608-tekken-6-psp-media.jpg

Tekken 6 | PS4, PS5

Face off against tough opponents in large, interactive stages. Customize your favorite character, equipping items with direct impacts on gameplay. Practice and patience make perfect as you hone your combos and seek to win the tournament.

34225c19-220c-4b5a-8434-65f46d9cfae4.png

Soulcalibur: Broken Destiny | PS4, PS5

Wield massive blades, execute high-flying maneuvers, and apply pressure to destroy rivals or knock them out of the ring. Dive into modes include the story-driven Gauntlet, challenging Trials, Training, and more.

4364578-ape-escape-academy-psp-media.jpg

Ape Escape Academy | PS4, PS5

Never has monkeying around in class been so rewarding. Complete a variety of fun, colorful minigames like dancing, fighting, building bonfires, and more. Strive to be the best and make it to senior year in Ape Escape Academy.

5079743-kurushi-final-mental-blocks-playstation-media.jpg

IQ Final | PS4, PS5

This sequel to I.Q.: Intelligent Qube on the original PlayStation includes brain-busting modes like 100 Attack, I.Q. Final, Survival, and Create. Navigate each stage carefully to avoid being crushed by the rotating blocks.
that's one formerly EU and Japan only title, the previous installment of a series which had it's Japan/EU only sequel on the service for a few months, and two PSP titles which have been rumoured/leaked for an entire year.

interesting lineup.

November releases
176173-grandia-playstation-front-cover.png

Grandia | PS4, PS5

The classic PS1 RPG returns, featuring a ground-breaking strategic battle system and more than 80 magic spells and techniques to master. Take the role of Justin, a young boy obsessed with becoming a great adventurer, who inherits a magic stone that leads him on an epic journey to uncover the mystery of a long lost civilization in this classic RPG.

Meet an exciting cast of characters who join you along the way and unravel the mysteries of this ancient legend. This version is enhanced with up-rendering, rewind, quick save, and custom video filters.

4108873-jet-moto-playstation-front-cover.jpg

Jet Moto | PS4, PS5

10 bone-crushing tracks await in this next generation motocross PS1 racer. Master a wild air bike that can buck, fly, surf, flip and spin at top speeds, catching big air over land, sea, ice, and snow while you compete and fight 20 riders through championship, rally and elimination races. This version is enhanced with up-rendering, rewind, quick save, and custom video filters.

10648422-disneypixar-up-psp-media.jpg

Up | PS4, PS5

Based on the Disneyā€¢Pixar animated feature of the same name, Up The Video Game, originally released on PSP, takes players on an exotic adventure with Carl Fredricksen and his young sidekick, Wilderness Explorer Russell, as they set off on a wild journey through the undiscovered jungles of South America.

that's another new publisher (GungHo Online Entertainment), and another game that got leaked by the Taiwan ratings board a few days prior.
Parappa the Rapper 2 is also coming to Premium, but the description makes it clear it's just the previous PS4 release with no updates.

December 2023 releases, possibly includes the first new PS2 game in years.
5773cf0985ea07aeb97e8182ab349445a2c14440-scaled.jpg

Thrillville | PS4, PS5

Explore 15 different themed areas spread across five theme parks, such as Pirates Gone Wild, Gold Rush, Ancient Treasures of Egypt and Moon Base in this PSP version of Thrillville which allows gamers of all ages to easily build and customize the coaster of their dreams. Its easy to use building mode has been designed specifically for the console platforms and makes building all 75-plus rides from wooden, corkscrew and inverted coasters to merry go rounds, trains and carnival rides, easy, and most importantly, fun. Race on go-kart tracks you put together, play mini-golf on courses you designed and join friends for dozens of four-player party games, from bumper cars to arcade shoot-ā€™em-ups. You can also tour the park on foot, chatting and joking with all the guests to help them out and make sure theyā€™re enjoying themselves.

65b95c3c6f9ea152d5a36fc266da31ebcb29d6db-scaled.jpg

Thrillville: Off the Rails | PS4, PS5

Experience the visceral fun of interacting with a theme park you create in this sequel to Thrillville as originally released on PS2, containing five new parks and 20 death-defying rides. You can distinguish your rides even more with enhanced customization options, attaching animatronics, flowers and flaming hoops. But the new fun doesnā€™t stop there. Off the Rails features 34 playable minigames, 15 all-new theme areas, over 40 thrill rides, a new story that ties together more than 100 missions, and social interaction with park guests thatā€™s better than ever. The in-depth conversations both advance the plot and suggest better ways to manage the park. But is every guest to be trusted?

dff27ef60cc8bf64acf61b05476eeab37231215c-scaled.jpg

Buzz Lightyear of Star Command | PS4, PS5

Originally released on PS1, this action platformer stars the finest Space Ranger of them all ā€“ Buzz Lightyear of Star Command ā€“ as he tracks down a galaxy-worth of villains across multiple planets. Along the way, Buzz is aided by his friends at Star Command: Commander Nebula provides mission briefs, Booster and Mira, his teammates, add their firepower, whilst Buzz must rescue XR and the Little Green Men from mortal peril.
note the description for Off the Rails.
"this sequel to Thrillville as originally released on PS2,"

assuming they didn't screw up and accidentally mislabel the PSP version (which is quite possible as the original game is supposed to be that version) this would mark the first time Sony has dropped a new emulated PS2 game since the addition of THE KING OF FIGHTERS ā€™98 ULTIMATE MATCH in 2018. (there was also Ace Combat 5 in 2019, but that was only ever released as a pre-order bonus for Ace Combat 7)

it would be particularly interesting to see if they actually updated the emulator to add a native PS5 version as previously rumoured, or if it's just the exact same one.

even the PS1 game choice is unusual this month, as not only has it not been re-released before. Disney has been openly trying to avoid acknowledging the series ever since the Lightyear film became the "official" backstory for the character.

January 2024 releases
unfortunately, it turns out Off The Rails was indeed the PSP version. so PS2 games still arenā€™t back just yet.
  • 4572668-rally-cross-playstation-front-cover.jpg
    Rally Cross
    (PS5, PS4) ā€“ Prove your driving superiority across desert, through the lush hills of Europe, and around gigantic stadiums in Rally Cross, originally released for PlayStation 1. Mud throwing, fishtailing, and forcing wrecks are all par for the course, as you do what you have to in the heat of battle. Try out 20 different rally vehicles as you race through a season or compete in a tournament. Beware though: the powerslides, rolling crashes, and head-on collisions might look cool, but theyā€™ll damage your vehicle for good.
  • 4170343-star-wars-episode-i-the-phantom-menace-playstation-front-cover.jpg
    Star Wars: Episode I ā€“ The Phantom Menace
    (PS5, PS4) ā€“ Use the Forceā€”and your witsā€”to overcome challenges at every turn in this adaptation of the movie, originally released for PlayStation 1. In a non-linear storyline that includes key moments from Episode I and additional side-quests, travel to the exotic locales of Episode I, battle hordes of enemies and solve dozens of challenging puzzles
though Lucasarts has at least provided a newly re-released title for this month.

Resistance: Retribution is finally coming (+ Jet Moto 2)
82e287c753f09c967a66d815b82a721c370b3da1-scaled.jpg

Resistance: Retribution | PS4, PS5

Experience Resistance: Retribution, originally released on the PSP and now enhanced with up-rendering, rewind, quick save, and custom video filters. Fueled by vengeance, former British Marine James Grayson intends to destroy the Chimeran conversion centers at any cost. Enlisted by the European resistance, The Maquis, he soon learns the Chimera have evolved a new method of converting humans.

0ccf7a9bd558260ae2856a0828e9fd12d540a61a-scaled.jpg

Jet Moto 2 | PS5, PS4

Experience extreme all-terrain racing on ten treacherous tracks in Jet Moto 2. Originally released on PlayStation 1, this version is enhanced with up-rendering, rewind, quick save, and custom video filters. Race through canyons, national parks, roller coasters and more across 10 unrelenting tracks, and enjoy two-player racing in either horizontal or vertical split-screen.
thatā€™s another rumored for months title dealt with, Iā€™m pretty sure the cloud streaming PS3 game service still only has Resistance 3 on it.

Op's resolve on updating this thread certainly deserves praise.

Sony is finally ramping up both the rythm and quality of releases. I'm still missing LOTS of classics, though. Hoping for Konami and CAPCOM to release some PS and PSP classics sooner or later.

yoooo Iā€™m so shocked the Jet Motos are both there with all the product placement, gotta imagine that was tough to figure out. Excited though!

the classic title "God Eater" is getting added (+ the dev team behind the emulator has revealed themselves)
3885744-cool-boarders-playstation-front-cover.jpg

Cool Boarders (PS5, PS4) ā€“ Experience the PS1 snowboarding racer, enhanced to include up-rendering, rewind, quick save, and custom video filters. Carve, shred and catch air down five alpine tracks, choosing from 10 hardcore snowboards, each with its own unique attributes and design. Battle yourself for better runs using Ghost Data.
3985687-gods-eater-burst-psp-front-cover.jpg

God Eater Burst (PS5, PS4) ā€“ Aragami, unknown life-forms, have suddenly appeared. These predators eat and destroy everything in their path, including the homes of humans who are left helpless. In this dire situation, the biochemical organization, Fenrir, has succeeded in developing a bioweapon created from Aragami cells. This weapon is known as God Arc and is used by special warriors referred to as God Eaters. On the verge of extinction, humanity has now found the only means to fight back against the Aragami. Form teams of up to four players and cooperate to fight against the Aragami in this high-speed hunting action game. Originally released for PSP, this enhanced version includes up-rendering, rewind, quick save, and custom video filters.
5997707-jak-and-daxter-the-lost-frontier-psp-front-cover.jpg

Jak and Daxter: The Lost Frontier (PS5, PS4) ā€“ Jak and Daxter are back in an adventure that picks up the action where the previous trilogy left off. Whether battling Sky Pirates in a customizable aircraft or blasting Aeropans with the punishing Gunstaff, their journey will take them beyond the edge of the Brinkā€”and into a war bigger than they could have imagined. Originally released for PSP, this enhanced version includes up-rendering, rewind, quick save, and custom video filters.
while this is another case where a remaster of the game already exists on Playstation 4, it's still a fairly notable addition.

but the bigger news this month is that Time Extension was able to get an interview with the team working on these re-releases, Implicit Conversions. a newer studio staffed by employees who previously worked on the PS4's Playstation 2 emulator.
logo-w-shadow.png

they've had a social media presence for at least a year. but the article has brought further awareness to them. particularly thanks to an error implying that they were going to start working on PS2 games again. (it'll probably happen eventually regardless)
Editor's note: A previous version of this feature suggested that Implicit Conversions is currently working on bringing PS2 games to PS5. We've reached out for clarification on the matter and have been told that the company cannot "confirm nor deny" that PS2 games are coming to PS5.

of particular interest here is that two of the staffers there previously worked on the unofficial "PCSX2" emulator for PC. one left fairly early on in 2011, while the other was around until 2018.
with a good chunk of the others being associated with the official retro game subscription services PiePacker and Antstream.

there's also been some curiosity about three developers being listed as "partners" on their official site despite not having any titles on PS Plus Premium yet.
Rockstar, Konami, and Cyan Worlds.
Rockstar is likely in reference to the various PS2 games (The Warriors, the GTA series before the Definitive Editions superseded them.) added to the store back in the day, Konami might be Castlevania Requiem as those games were likely using an earlier version of the PSP emulator, which leaves Cyan as the odd one out.
Myst had official ports for both the Playstation 1 and the PSP that were available digitally on the old PS Store, so it's likely one of those will get added fairly soon.

MediEvil has been re-released for the third time New
4186168-alone-in-the-dark-the-new-nightmare-playstation-front-cover.jpg

Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare
ā€œEdward Carnby and Aline Cedrac are about to experience a nightmare beyond their darkest imagination. While investigating the murder of a friend, Carnby and Cedrac venture to the mysterious Shadow Island and discover that it is home to untold malevolent adversaries. But the creatures of the night are just a harbinger of the ultimate terror about to be unleashed...ā€

4313430-medievil-playstation-front-cover.jpg

MediEvil
ā€œChallenge the powers of darkness and untold magic as Sir Daniel Fortesque returns from the grave to battle an evil sorcerer's plans of demise. (As if being dead wasn't bad enough!) Follow the mystical trial of darkness and land in the journey of a lifetime.ā€

91mrAHl.jpeg

Star Wars: Rebel Assault II: The Hidden Empire
ā€œRejoin Rookie One and Ru Murleen from the original Rebel Assault game as you discover that Rebel ships are mysteriously disappearing from the Dreighton Nebula. You learn that a new Imperial weapon is at the source of the problem and must figure out how to defeat the threat - while there is still time!ā€
yes, so the PS4 has access to a full remake of MediEvil (which includes the original PS1 game as an unlockable) the PSP port of the game, and now a standalone version of the original game.
both it and Rebel Assault II were leaked a few days prior as well.

New Nightmare getting thrown in is good though, considering Nintendo Switch Online has had the neat GBC port of the game for a while.

Edit: Resistance Retribution got a new update (with trophies) unlocking the bonus ā€œInfected Modeā€ normally accessed by linking the game with Resistance 2, and Japan is getting an extra game alongside the other titles for this month. an RPG called ā€œOre no Shikabane wo Koete Yukeā€.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom