• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Picross S8 releases on Switch this Fall (UPDATE: releasing September 29th)

Coco

Armamenter ❄️
y_62f370781407e.jpg

Picross S8, the latest game in the Picross S series, will be released in the fall of 2022. Please wait for further details to be announced as soon as they are finalized.

nice, can't wait. it's been a long time since S7. i'm hoping there's a new mode in this one but realistically we should expect the same modes/number of puzzles they've had since 4.

Guess that gives me a little time to get through the normal/Clip puzzles in S7.

Mega and Color are just...too much for my tiny brain.

Not me still struggling my way through Picross S6...... 🙈

Still excited, but I'll be waiting on this one.

At this point, they should add a setting to the eShop where whenever a new Picross S game is released, I'm just billed the $10 and it automatically downloads to my Switch. These are the most no-brainer game purchases I ever make, and I never regret them. Looking forward to S8!

At this point, they should add a setting to the eShop where whenever a new Picross S game is released, I'm just billed the $10 and it automatically downloads to my Switch. These are the most no-brainer game purchases I ever make, and I never regret them. Looking forward to S8!
Picross S(ubscription Service)

Pic a Pix Deluxe is all I need to last me a lifetime, let alone just on Switch. The S series simply took too long in introducing larger puzzles.

I do miss Mega Picross though. I wish they released a version just with those.

I seriously need to dedicate more time to these games than just a "pick it up when I feel like it". Love the concept but I've never actually finished one despite cutting my teeth on Mario's Picross on the GB.

these teases are usually my cue to stop listening to podcasts and bank everything for when the game is out.

Trailer and release date

• new feature: 4 player co-op
  • same number of puzzles as all the games since S4 (150 normal/mega, 150 clip, 30 color, 5 extra)
  • 3 extra puzzles unlocked if you have save data for S4, S5 and S6

im currently asking myself... as much as i loved 1 and 2 and the GB Pokemon/Zelda ones...

couldnt you just generate the puzzles? i mean not the motives, the solutions.
And thinking of it, since it has only a finite solution-way-space, shouldnt it be
also possible to have an algoritm solve it and then grade the dificulty based on a handfull of factors?

Im not saying they should all be free, but having 1-2 sets a year with marginally expanded features feels of to me.

Maybe im underestimating how much work goes into those.
The soundtrack is also always great. I just feel like i would prefere it to be more time
between entries and then making them somewhat beefier.

I'm already 3 games behind D:

I have played through every single 3DS entry, but I have barely touched the four games that I own. I'm used to playing a few rounds in bed at night and I never have my Switch with me at that point. I guess I need a Lite just for picross lol.

finished the demo. some really good music in this one.

im currently asking myself... as much as i loved 1 and 2 and the GB Pokemon/Zelda ones...

couldnt you just generate the puzzles? i mean not the motives, the solutions.
And thinking of it, since it has only a finite solution-way-space, shouldnt it be
also possible to have an algoritm solve it and then grade the dificulty based on a handfull of factors?

Im not saying they should all be free, but having 1-2 sets a year with marginally expanded features feels of to me.

Maybe im underestimating how much work goes into those.
The soundtrack is also always great. I just feel like i would prefere it to be more time
between entries and then making them somewhat beefier.
i think the asking price is more than fair for the content that is there tbh. 10 dollars for what will take people 30 to 50 hours to solve is pretty cheap. and i think designing the puzzles isn't as you imagine, both when it comes to the pixel art and designing puzzles that are fun to solve. i've played a lot of picross games on my phone and most of them have really easy and simple puzzles. creating a puzzle that can stump the player for 10 or 20 minutes at times is probably not that easy.

i think the asking price is more than fair for the content that is there tbh. 10 dollars for what will take people 30 to 50 hours to solve is pretty cheap. and i think designing the puzzles isn't as you imagine, both when it comes to the pixel art and designing puzzles that are fun to solve. i've played a lot of picross games on my phone and most of them have really easy and simple puzzles. creating a puzzle that can stump the player for 10 or 20 minutes at times is probably not that easy.
Yeah, i realized its more me, i would prefere a more chunky game for 20-30€ and then a bigger change for the next one then what is the equivalent to regular releases for a sudoku/crosswords book series.

there are for shure many bad picross apps. i would argue that the feel is a big factor of that, at least in my experience on the phone it never fellt responsive, because of the touch inputs without a stylus.

im still shure that the generation and testing of those could be automated to a high degree.
The curation would then come to check the motives, statistics, and see which ones fit into the theme / dificulty curve.

I honestly cant fault Jupiter for anything, they are transparent about the content, its not outragious in price, it is well polished,
there is no nicle and diming with mycro transactions, obviously great support (extra puzzles of owners of multiple, the backported features you mentioned in the other thread). They even have demos.

I just would like them to really try and push and experiment more.
With the demoes after (im not shure if i played to 2 or 3) i just felt like its more of the same.

BTW:

huge nostalgia flash, it sounded to me like n64/early 00 music from a dream.
Love that track, so chill.

I just would like them to really try and push and experiment more.
i want this too. i really liked when for the first few games each one came with a new mode on top of all the modes from the previous games, but it's now been 5 games with the same exact modes and number of puzzles. a new mode would be really nice. i wish they copied the no-x mode from the konami mobile game.

also i really wish they would do more than 30 color puzzles a game, i really love that mode but 30 is just too little.

i want this too. i really liked when for the first few games each one came with a new mode on top of all the modes from the previous games, but it's now been 5 games with the same exact modes and number of puzzles. a new mode would be really nice. i wish they copied the no-x mode from the konami mobile game.

also i really wish they would do more than 30 color puzzles a game, i really love that mode but 30 is just too little.
Im mixed on color puzzles. On the one hand it was an interesting twist, on the other it disrupted the meditative simplicity of the original modes. But i get what you mean. Its probably that they want to have that confortable base experience (as i compared it to the regular puzzle magazine releases), and if they add modest they cant just add more and more puzzles, so some modes will have less i asume.

never the less, for everybody that did not try any of those games, download the demos. they are cozy, especially now that it gets cold.

The difficulty of Picross S games will never go down, would it? I get the gist that S6 and especially S7 are difficult, so would an easier Picross game be considered a letdown?

A new way of playing Picross would be welcomed, or they could increase the amount of Colour Picross puzzles to maybe 40.

Thank you for reading.

The difficulty of Picross S games will never go down, would it? I get the gist that S6 and especially S7 are difficult, so would an easier Picross game be considered a letdown?

A new way of playing Picross would be welcomed, or they could increase the amount of Colour Picross puzzles to maybe 40.

Thank you for reading.
I think making the themed Picross games the "easier" ones would be a good counterbalance if the main games need to keep rising in difficulty. Like, the Genesis Picross is a lot easier to me than S6 was (still need to play S7)

I think making the themed Picross games the "easier" ones would be a good counterbalance if the main games need to keep rising in difficulty. Like, the Genesis Picross is a lot easier to me than S6 was (still need to play S7)
It would be funny if Splatoon's first spinoff is a Picross game. Both Mario and Zelda have Picross spinoffs, although for Mario it's the genesis of the Picross video game series.

Thank you for reading.

There's an option to download a demo on the NA eShop.
oh nice, i didn't bother getting my switch out and there wasn't a download demo button on the webpage, which usually is there for games that have a demo.

Yeah, I know that in the sudoku space, there’s definitely a noticeable quality difference between machine-generated puzzles and puzzles where a skilled setter plots out a break-in, a logical path, etc. Setting a good sudoku puzzle is an art and a well-designed puzzle is elegant in a way that algorithm-generated puzzles just don’t match. And sudoku puzzles don’t even have to look like anything, in the same way that picross puzzles do!

So we’re getting this before Picross X releases outside of Japan? Is there still no word on when that’s coming?

i think past picross games usually go live 9am pt, so it would be 21 hours from now.

no, nothing yet.
How unfortunate, really?

I can always download S7 at full price instead of waiting for the sale to go live, ha!

I won't! 2€ can make a big difference when you're balancing between your eShop credit, debit card and gold points while buying games on sale.

Back
Top Bottom