• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Persona 5 Royal |ST| It's Time to Unveil the Hype You've Been Waiting For

Is this your first time playing Persona 5?

• Total voters

Hero of Hyrule

Frieren the Slayer
Pronouns
He/Him
hero

p5cc_528471.png

SPECIAL EDITIONS
persona-5-royal-1-more-edition.large.jpg

11098854-a90fe0bd_ALT02

TRAILERS

SCREENSHOTS

screenshot01

screenshot02

screenshot03

screenshot04

screenshot05

screenshot06

REVIEWS
Ultimately, Persona 5 Royal brought me back to the Phantom Thieves, and made me realize how much I missed them and their antics, and the beautiful world where their story occurs. Being able to play this journey on the go only sweetens the deal, and the experience is as immaculate as it was years ago—a masterful port of a masterpiece.

THE GAMER: 10/10

Persona 5 Royal was a masterpiece when it launched, and two years later, it is more resonant than ever. No matter what system you play it on, you are in for a treat, and one of the greatest games ever made.

GAMINGBOLT: 10/10

From its captivating music and memorable story to its gorgeous style, every aspect of the game seems to mesh together and work incredibly well. Each piece builds up and compliments the next, until the game is justified in standing atop the RPG genre as royalty. With its release onto PC, Switch, and Xbox X|S, Persona 5 Royal will finally conquer the last locations it had been absent from, and a whole new set of gamers will get the chance to undoubtedly fall in love with this masterpiece.

GAME RANT: 10/10

Persona 5 Royal is the very definition of ‘required reading' for JRPG fans. A deep and moving story, stylish presentation, amazing soundtrack, and decision-driven gameplay all combine to make for an unforgettable and exceptional experience that proves itself to be every bit deserving of the hype and praise it’s already received. While those who have played this elsewhere may want to consider whether Switch's portability is enough of a selling point to justify paying full price to double dip, but it suits it perfectly. Persona 5 Royal remains a game that we absolutely recommend you pick up as soon as you can. This easily stands as one of the very best RPGs of the last decade and you’d be doing yourself a disservice to miss out.

NINTENDO LIFE: 10/10

Persona 5 Royal on Nintendo Switch is the true successor to Persona 4 Golden on PS Vita. Despite the visual cutbacks compared to the PS4 version, it is an essential for Nintendo Switch owners. With the inclusion of all prior paid and free DLC, this is a fantastic value proposition and well worth your time even in this busy month.

THE MAKO REACTOR: 9.5/10

And after several months of student life and stylish fighting, Persona 5 Royal holds up perfectly in its portable form.

NINTENDO WORLD REPORT: 9/10

TRUE ENDING SPOILER FREE REQUIREMENTS

PERSONA 5 ROYAL LOCKS AWAY A SIGNIFICANT CHUNK OF CONTENT (WHICH INCLUDES THE TRUE ENDING) BEHIND REQUIREMENTS THAT MAY NOT BE IMMEDIATELY CLEAR TO NEW PLAYERS. YOU CAN SPEND 70-80 HOURS ON THE GAME AND ONLY THEN REALIZE YOU ARE LOCKED OUT FROM ACCESSING THIS CONTENT.

This significant chunk of content includes the entire Royal path (which is about 30 hours of gameplay), and is arguably the best content in the game, if not the entire series.

There are specific requirements to make sure you get this content. They're extremely simple, and below, I will explain in general, spoiler-free terms how you can make sure you're meeting all the requirements:

Some notes - these suggestions are going to be in extremely general terms that, if you are a new player to the series and have very little familiarity with it, may not make any sense to you now, until you play the game. Even when you play the game, however, what is listed below is general, and spoils no character or story moments:
  • Make sure to reach Counselor Arcana Level 9 before November 15
  • Make sure to reach Faith Arcana Level 5 before November 15
  • Make sure to reach Justice Arcana Level 8 before November 24
  • At certain critical junctures in the story, you will have the chance to strike out on your own, or continue to stick with your friends. Always choose to stick with your friends.
That's really it. Honestly, the requirements are things that most players will naturally and organically end up doing themselves anyway, but this is a PSA just in case. Remember to take your time!

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

• What is the difference between Persona 5 and Persona 5 Royal?
Persona 5 Royal is a greatly expanded and improved redo of the original Persona 5. It represents a very comprehensive mechanical and structural overhaul and revision of the original, while also simultaneously adding a whole lot of new mechanics itself. It also represents a major expansion of the original story, adding 30 hours of new story content to the original game (which actually represents some of the best content in the entire series). You can think of it as a definitive remake of the original game. It's basically Persona 5, but better.

• So I can play this without having played the regular Persona 5?
Yes; not only you can, but also, you should. if you haven't played the regular Persona 5 at this point, just skip it and go straight to Royal. The original game had a bunch of frustrations and issues that Royal addresses, while also enhancing the original's overall quality greatly. Royal is basically the best form and version of Persona 5, and given the length of these games, you are not going to want to play both versions. Just stick with the best one.

• And what about Persona 5 Strikers?
That's not a version of Persona 5 at all, but rather, the canonical sequel to Persona 5. It was co-developed with Koei-Tecmo, and incorporates a lot of action combat mechanics from the Dynasty Warriors series, while still remaining quintessentially Persona. It's a very good game, and worth playing if you like Persona 5 Royal, but it's the sequel, meaning you should play it after you've played P5 proper.

• Wait, they put the sequel on Switch before the actual game?
Yes, Atlus' decision making is always... interesting. You'll learn more now that you're caught in the web of their games.

• Are there any differences between the Switch and original PS4 version of Persona 5 Royal?
The Switch version has full content and feature parity with the PS4 version of the game. It comes with all the DLC you had to buy separately on PS4 bundled in. Conversely, it obviously runs at a lower resolution than the PS4 version does. Framerate and loading times remain similar on both systems.

• Is this really 125 hours long?
Yes, yes it is. And it earns every single second of it too (especially since it addresses a lot of the infamous pacing issues the original Persona 5 had).

• Can I play Persona 5 before playing the other games in the series?
Yes, they're all standalone. I mean technically they take place in the same universe, and the games always include some Easter eggs for other titles in the series, but that's all they are; each story and cast of characters is entirely standalone, and each game is designed to be the entry point into the series.

• Any general tips?
  1. The biggest one is to go with the flow and immerse yourself in the game, its world, its characters, and its atmosphere. Don't look up guides, don't try to minmax anything. Just go with the flow and do what you want to do. The game will give you an almost overwhelming amount of options, and the time management aspects might start to feel like a time limit pressuring you. It's not a time limit, it's time management. Do what you want, when you want to. You'll have more than enough time to get everything you want to do done, the game is 125 hours long after all. Just remember to follow the True Ending requirements!
  2. Always finish the Missions at least two days before the stated deadline. The reason for this is the way some systems and mechanics mesh together that can get you in trouble, so it's best to give yourself a buffer.
  3. Don't ignore Mementos. Mementos can feel a bit dreary compared to the rest of the game, but it's a mandatory part of the critical path, and you will need to complete it before you can access the ending. You can either have to do the whole thing in one go at the end (and also stall the momentum of the story that way), or you can just spread it out through the game. I recommend the latter.
  4. Fuse your Personas. Your Personas are not Pokemon. You are not meant to hold on to them and keep them. Level them up until they can't learn any more moves, and then fuse them into something better.
  5. Use the - button. If you ever want answers a general idea for how others are spending their time on any given day, just press the minus button. It tells you what other players did on any given time for any day, you can use that to guide what you do.
  6. And most of all, remember to take your time!

Excellent ST! I will be watching this with great interest, mwahahaha. Even if I'm not currently playing the game.

If anyone has questions or generally wants info or anything, I am happy to help out!

Crazy to think it’s been nearly 10 years since I received my pre ordered copy of P4G and started playing my first Megami Tensei game. Finally the sequel to P4G arrives on a portable system in less than 23 hours.

One extremely handy thing about this game is that for discussing spoilers, you can usually get away with tagging it with the in-game date since that's pretty clear about what has or hasn't happened yet by that point (barring some optional things that you can do at different times).

Wonderful ST!

I love this game and I was gonna try to resist the temptation to get it on Switch, but man, my resolve is wavering.

1. Fuse your Personas. Your Personas are not Pokemon. You are not meant to hold on to them and keep them. Level them up until they can't learn any more
Awesome ST.

I've only played 1 "Persona" game (PQ2) and I fused them like crazy. I really appreciated it.
But in SMT, SJR specifically ( being my fav), I've keep a Nekomata and Power thought the game, they are too precious lol.

Friday cant come soon. Amazon has not shipped my copy though...

I got the steelbook yesterday...I'm so happy! I waited years, feels like christmas. Enjoy everyone!

Never played a Persona game before but I really like the look of this and the reviews/opinions I’ve seen have convinced me to try it. I won’t buy it Day One but maybe after Christmas if I see it in a sale and I’ve got some free time.

I have picked up Strikers a couple of months ago and am saving that until after I get and play Royal

Really looking forward to this, I think I'll wait for a sale but portable Persona 5 is gonna be great. If the Switch version really has full parity with PS4 that's exciting.

Vanilla is already a top 5 game for me so I'm very curious how Royal's improvements shake things up.

I had the pleasure reviewing Persona 5 Royal in the last weeks :). This is definitely the go to version for the game. The handheld functionality is just awesome! :D

Furthermore, the game feels at home on the Nintendo Switch as well.
[Source: N1-UP (In Dutch)] <-- review

Great post OP. The spoiler-free tips are perfect for newcomers.

I have beaten P5/P5R five times, and still here for day one on Switch.

It's pretty good.

So this is basically Shin Megami Tensei V but with heart, right?

Kidding aside, it's pretty cool that you can get both SMT V and Persona 5 on the same platform.

I wish I could replay this but I never will, it's soooo long. Kinda how I feel about XIV and the expansions too. I hope those playing it for the first time enjoy, it's a fantastic if sometimes uneven ride but worth it all in the end.

Ugh. I wish that I had time for this. A 80-100 hour game would probably take me...five, six months at this point? I just can't commit that much time to one game when there are so many other good ones coming out.

Maybe some day....

Have you played Royal before?
I've (re-)started Royal two or three times on PS4, but only ever finished the first arc, if you will.
I did finish P5 vanilla before, tho!
Hoping the Royal content elevates the experience for me. Or having it on Switch. Or both, ideally! I want to like it more than I've done so far. Let's see.

I'm 30 hours into SMTV right now (my first SMT game and second Atlus game after TMS), and I plan to finish that before starting P5R. Overall, I can't believe all three games are available on the same console and I'm looking forward to starting next month!

I've (re-)started Royal two or three times on PS4, but only ever finished the first arc, if you will.
I did finish P5 vanilla before, tho!
Hoping the Royal content elevates the experience for me. Or having it on Switch. Or both, ideally! I want to like it more than I've done so far. Let's see.
I think portable mode will definitely help you work through the friction that a game of this length and style could otherwise present. If you liked P4 (you did, right? Am I misremembering?) then P5R is definitely a very easy game to love lol.

Does anyone know if for the physical version all the DLC is already on the cart?
DLC is included in the files for the base game, so yes. You still have to "redeem" it in-game by checking the parcels delivered to you in your room, but you never need to connect to the internet to do it.

I freaking adore P4(G), yeah. I hope you're right re: P5R, then!
Then yeah, very honestly I think this will be where it clicks for you. I did love the vanilla Persona 5, but I had a LOT of issues with it (I don't know if you remember the threads I made shitting on it on Era lol). It was a good game, but very obviously the product of a troubled development, and with a lot of shortcomings holding it back from achieving the level of greatness that 3 and 4 hit.

5 Royal on the other hand is a masterpiece of impeccable game and narrative design, there is not one wasted frame or pixel in that game, it's just incredible. It finally brings up Persona 5 to the level of greatness it was always headed for but missed with the original release. If you can get past the now well trodden for you beginning of the game on a more convenient format like the Switch, I think you're in for a hell of a ride.

I think portable mode will definitely help you work through the friction that a game of this length and style could otherwise present. If you liked P4 (you did, right? Am I misremembering?) then P5R is definitely a very easy game to love lol.

DLC is included in the files for the base game, so yes. You still have to "redeem" it in-game by checking the parcels delivered to you in your room, but you never need to connect to the internet to do it.
Thanks! Can’t wait to play the game.

Will be interesting to see what people think of the overall blurriness (UI looks clean though!).

I've jumped between OLED handheld, docked, and Lite, and all of them are a bit tough on the old eyes.

Booting it up on XSX or PC is a drastically different experience, as would be expected.

Anyone have their copy from Amazon ship yet? I'm still worried at mine showing the PS5 box despite everything saying Switch and it linking to the Switch version.

Anyone have their copy from Amazon ship yet? I'm still worried at mine showing the PS5 box despite everything saying Switch and it linking to the Switch version.
Mine is also showing the PS5 box too, but it says switch version. Sadly it got delayed till next week

For those who've played/know both:

Which opening do you prefer? "Colors Flying High" or "Wake up, get up, get out there?"

For me, I think the animation and overall opening is probably stronger in CFH in Royal, but I prefer the actual song more in the original game.

For those who've played/know both:

Which opening do you prefer? "Colors Flying High" or "Wake up, get up, get out there?"

For me, I think the animation and overall opening is probably stronger in CFH in Royal, but I prefer the actual song more in the original game.
I definitely prefer Royal's all around. It somehow gets me more ... abuzz, I guess. Vanilla's left me feeling pretty cold, tbh.

I have no idea how I managed to beat this game in the span of 4 weeks, but I'm hoping to squeeze in some time for another replay, the Switch being portable should help with that.

Will be interesting to see what people think of the overall blurriness (UI looks clean though!).

I've jumped between OLED handheld, docked, and Lite, and all of them are a bit tough on the old eyes.

Booting it up on XSX or PC is a drastically different experience, as would be expected.
I’m pretty happy with how it looks on the OLED so far. I played it in 4K on PS5 so I was already ready for a resolution downgrade

Ended up buying the Switch version. Gave up silky smooth PC performance and crispy visuals to have a portable version even though I'll play it at home almost exclusively. It just seems perfect for the console, especially having played P4G on the Vita. Shame it couldn't be native in handheld. Now to fast forward through the first 20 hours to catch up to where I was.

ill live

I played it on my PS4 Pro and had to stop just after the second palace because I can no longer play such a long game on a no-handheld system. That's how much I care about the graphical downgrades. Convinience > everything.

Playing it on PC now. My old rig can run it at 1440p 100fps... I have a switch copy coming from Walmart but I need to decide if I am keeping it.

As much as I want it on Switch, it'd be hard to justify $60 when I have a much better version available for free since I'm a gamepass subscriber.

This past few weeks has been mad, Nier Automata, No Man's Sky and Persona 5 - all games I've come so close to getting in other places but now they're on my favourite platform!

About an hour in to Persona 5 so far, I can already tell I'm going to love this.

ty for putting the true ending stuff in the op, op

Back
Top Bottom