• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Persona 5 Royal coming to PS5/Xbox/PC on October 21; Persona 3 Portable, Persona 4 Golden coming soon digitally to PS4/Xbox/PC and Game Pass

I know people are trying to look for a silver lining with xCloud (mobile ) versions of these games, but afaik, xCloud still doesn’t support sleep mode or quick resume. There’s a LOT of time between save points in these games. Being on a dedicated handheld just makes more sense.
xCloud is MS's streaming service. I don't think there's a single xCloud game on switch. all the streaming games are handled by someone else

and no one should be accepting streamed versions of psp/vita games

xCloud is MS's streaming service. I don't think there's a single xCloud game on switch. all the streaming games are handled by someone else

and no one should be accepting streamed versions of psp/vita games
Yeah, I meant, “they’re not coming to Switch but at least they’re coming to xCloud” type responses.

3 of the best JRPGs ever. I can't recommend them enough. They're all incredibly special to me.

I know people are trying to look for a silver lining with xCloud (mobile ) versions of these games, but afaik, xCloud still doesn’t support sleep mode or quick resume. There’s a LOT of time between save points in these games. Being on a dedicated handheld just makes more sense.
It also isn’t useful for people like me with bad wifi , I’m sometimes not even able to shitpost here because my Wifi drops daily :(

Doesn't make any sense, then, for they revealed the PS5 + Steam ports today already.
I edited the post to say that the Persona announcement went up a day early. Apparently the Atlus website hasn't listed PS5/Steam yet.

Nintendo should reschedule their entire planning and contracts with all other third parties just to adapt to Atlus. Sure. They should broadcast the Direct in the peak of the promo for Mario Strikers and FE3H so that they can take all the attention away from those games, etc. Sure.

I understand Atlus' strategy for these announcements may be frustrating, but c'mon...
Or. Nintendo could tell Atlus to announce the games instead of waiting 2 weeks for a Nintendo direct.

But sure pop off, I suppose.

so by tomorrow the ports will be announced for all platforms except for Switch, and somehow we should convince ourselves that the Switch ports are getting some special treatment and will be announced only in a Direct because reasons lol

There's no way these games are coming to Switch

so by tomorrow the ports will be announced for all platforms except for Switch, and somehow we should convince ourselves that the Switch ports are getting some special treatment and will be announced only in a Direct because reasons lol

Why wouldn't they? Serious question. Maybe they'll be late ports but Persona will be on Switch eventually.

Humankind (Sega) console reveal trailer didn't have Switch as a platform but through classification leak we know it's coming. Those "reasons" exist, people save their Switch platform announcements for Directs all the time.

unknown-9.png

I mean, before yesterday there was less hope for Persona on Switch than there is now. Before, there could've been weird legal reasons for Persona not being on Switch. Now, we know all that stands in the way is ATLUS' stupidity

So it's still fairly hopeless, but not entirely so

If you are looking for portable AAA gaming, Switch (and even its successor, really) likely won't satisfy your needs. It is great for AA and indie games. It is also great for ports of PS3/X360 era AAA games, as long as publishers are willing to bring them. Barring the occasional miracle port, anything more recent than that will likely always be more of an exception rather than the norm, unless publishers all of a sudden decide they don't want to keep raising the bar on a technical level and transition to developing with Nintendo hardware as the lead platform.

That is a different conversation altogether, though.
There are many games on switch I would consider AAA. Different conversation though as you said.

revealing deals like that would be a surefire way to never get anything again
Win/win or lose/lose I guess. I guess they need to sit and be nice and wait for a publisher to think enough to bring one of their top tier games to the platform. Closed mouth don’t get feed.

I mean, before yesterday there was less hope for Persona on Switch than there is now. Before, there could've been weird legal reasons for Persona not being on Switch. Now, we know all that stands in the way is ATLUS' stupidity

So it's still fairly hopeless, but not entirely so
Not targeted at you specifically, but I see this "Atlus dumbhead" and "hope has died" posts and I am not following why Persona announcements for switch have been ruled out?

Given:

a) Nintendo Direct is incoming, it will garner the most eyeballs of all the "digital events", and would be choicest opportunity for promo (and thus the most logical time to make official announcements)

b) The first part of your post! Persona mainline is now fully liberated from one platform, an incredible positive sign

these ain't even modern. the newest game is a 3 year old enhanced version of a 6 year old game. I'd honestly have more sympathy for lacking in newer games

that said, I don't get Atlus, but I've long since stopped trying to understand their process
the switch just cant handle those hot PS3 graphics

I've got to wonder, for all the PlayStation fanboys who had a minor stroke over Persona 5 not immediately being announced for PS5, the hell is the PS5 version supposed to even add?

I guess 60 fps, which I honestly would find an extremely minor update for a turn based JRPG.

I've got to wonder, for all the PlayStation fanboys who had a minor stroke over Persona 5 not immediately being announced for PS5, the hell is the PS5 version supposed to even add?
Series X version looked like 60fps (to my untrained eyes) so maybe that

Not targeted at you specifically, but I see this "Atlus dumbhead" and "hope has died" posts and I am not following why Persona announcements for switch have been ruled out?

Given:

a) Nintendo Direct is incoming, it will garner the most eyeballs of all the "digital events", and would be choicest opportunity for promo (and thus the most logical time to make official announcements)

b) The first part of your post! Persona mainline is now fully liberated from one platform, an incredible positive sign
You are right that rationally speaking the ship hasn't left the harbor for good until the next Direct and that the doom and gloom can wait until after the Direct has come and gone, but - how often has it actually happened that the announcement of a 3rd party port that gets released more or less day and date with other versions got hold back for a Direct? There were Life is Strange and Guardians of the Galaxy last year, but what else?

It seems to me that the cases where a game didn't get announced for Switch and then also simply didn't release for Switch far outnumber the times an announcement was specifically hold back for a Direct. It'd also be pretty weird if in Persona's case the different platforms had three different set of embargos - weirder things have happened, especially with generally weird publishers like Atlus, but that'd still be unusual and unnecessarily confusing. Holding back the announcements also feels like something that builds up frustration all around for really not much of a good reason. Like, I'm sure Nintendo would love to show new footage of those Persona ports even if they were announced before the Direct.

And then there's also the bizarre circumstance that P3P and P4G don't even get released on PS4 for some reason. These are weird releases with weird compromises all around and skipping Switch just kinda fits well into the weirdness.

I been eyeing that Series S for a while. I been wanting to explore more of SMT and Persona, this would help me on the Persona side. Next year is a long time for 3 & 4. I got Royal on PS4 and haven't started that. So, no rush right now.

My thoughts exactly lol.
The only reason I think this has a higher than 0% of happening is because Nate is so confident it's happening and this is Atlus we're talking about. Stupid business decisions is their trademark. Add to that we're also talking about Nintendo who also does some baffling stuff and we have a puddle of nonsense.

Well I'm happy I can finally play P4G and P3P on a modern system. Just wish it was portable but, when it comes to Switch, I kinda learned not to expect even obvious games to come to it

If they’re actually coming to switch and it’s just being saved for the Direct.

Then it’s amusing that Altus just has to deal with the bit of outcry lol

But then again, they really could’ve ported them ages ago. The demand was there and I’m sure they would’ve profit very well. Especially when they’ll go on sale

There are not many Switch owners demanding ports in the responses. Maybe there are not enough Switch owners in the world? We need to bring the install base to 200m asap.
You’re sarcastic but Atlus Twitter is basically a fanboy safespace. The demand was huge while they were fumbling the “Joker in Smash” bag, to the point that Atlus fans were like “They don’t owe you anything omg port begging is so annoying”. Therefore, having the common sense of asking for ports of their games to a platform that is not only the market leader but also has a clear audience for the game, this became pejorative for them. Even the Xbox rumors were met more positively because “They can get ports + gamepass like they did for Yakuza, gotta build the Japanese games audience for Xbox they can get that”. Now those same people are laughing at “Switch owner meltdowns” because they need to touch grass as they say, imagine having pleasure in witnessing the most stupid tone-deaf videogame company in history

The Direct is the last hope but again, this situation is so strange. The only comparable is the Square stuff from last year. Does Persona matters that much to the point that Nintendo needs to have their own presentation to announce that the game is coming to their system? This would have been perfectly fine for this to not take any additional Direct time and just tweet it. Remember when Switch got FF VII to XII? That was a very climactic direct announcement. Xbox didn’t save these news for a presentation or something, they just made a pretty climactic tweet of their own. If the game are coming, it’s either another very strange situation with no precedent (btw remember when Klonoa was supposed to release first on Switch), or it would be a case of Nintendo publishing the game like they do for Dragon Quest. If not, well again Atlus are beyond incompetent, their DS/3DS input are flukes and Nintendo shouldn’t even bother to fund anymore of their games, they need to go Yamauchi on them at this point

You’re sarcastic but Atlus Twitter is basically a fanboy safespace. The demand was huge while they were fumbling the “Joker in Smash” bag, to the point that Atlus fans were like “They don’t owe you anything omg port begging is so annoying”. Therefore, having the common sense of asking for ports of their games to a platform that is not only the market leader but also has a clear audience for the game, this became pejorative for them. Even the Xbox rumors were met more positively because “They can get ports + gamepass like they did for Yakuza, gotta build the Japanese games audience for Xbox they can get that”. Now those same people are laughing at “Switch owner meltdowns” because they need to touch grass as they say, imagine having pleasure in witnessing the most stupid tone-deaf videogame company in history

The Direct is the last hope but again, this situation is so strange. The only comparable is the Square stuff from last year. Does Persona matters that much to the point that Nintendo needs to have their own presentation to announce that the game is coming to their system? This would have been perfectly fine for this to not take any additional Direct time and just tweet it. Remember when Switch got FF VII to XII? That was a very climactic direct announcement. Xbox didn’t save these news for a presentation or something, they just made a pretty climactic tweet of their own. If the game are coming, it’s either another very strange situation with no precedent (btw remember when Klonoa was supposed to release first on Switch), or it would be a case of Nintendo publishing the game like they do for Dragon Quest. If not, well again Atlus are beyond incompetent, their DS/3DS input are flukes and Nintendo shouldn’t even bother to fund anymore of their games, they need to go Yamauchi on them at this point
The single most annoying response I keep seeing is “just buy a PS4.” I have a PS5 and I got vanilla and Royal day one and have played them both. I still want a Switch version.

been revisiting resetera user messages (lolilolailo) who first leaked persona titles coming to modern consoles. He leaked correctly P3P, P4G for all platforms except Switch. He also leaked before P4AU for Switch/PS4/Steam.

But he was never sure of Persona 5, even what version would be porting. He bet on it but wasn’t 100% sure.

Honestly the only of these games I think there's any reason to skip out is P5R and even that's only if they intend on physical releases so they don't have to pay for 32 gb cartridges.It isn't as if these wouldn't sell on the platform.

I guess the Xbox Series and Xbox One (and PS4) builds of P3P and P4G all will ultimately be the same, technically speaking, right? (I know that's simplifying it quite a bit, but I am somewhat confused that it lists the Series consoles for the older two games, but PS4 only on the PlayStation side of things -- which will obviously still do its job on PS5 via bc.)
So basically: they're only listing Series and One platforms separately due to marketing, that's what I'm assuming -- does that sound right?

been revisiting resetera user messages (lolilolailo) who first leaked persona titles coming to modern consoles. He leaked correctly P3P, P4G for all platforms except Switch. He also leaked before P4AU for Switch/PS4/Steam.

But he was never sure of Persona 5, even what version would be porting. He bet on it but wasn’t 100% sure.
so the original leaker everyone kept bringing up said there werent coming to the switch either. yeah put a fork in it.

so the original leaker everyone kept bringing up said there werent coming to the switch either. yeah put a fork in it.
No what I meant was that the original leaker said that it was coming to all consoles, including Switch. Maybe I didn’t express well. Sorry for the confusion.

btw, for the user above who also reply to your comment, the leaker never 100% knew that Persona 5 was coming to any console, be Xbox or Switch systems.

No what I meant was that the original leaker said that it was coming to all consoles, including Switch. Maybe I didn’t express well. Sorry for the confusion.
so how many leakers are there that said persona on switch? i know theres nate and this lolilolailo person. are they all saying p3p and p4g locked and coming for the switch and p5 is unclear?

like i seriously doubt we're getting anything persona on switch at this point but the hesitance over p5 makes me think it might just be coming later. p4 and p3 could be coming earlier on switch then instead of 2023 like with the other platforms. which would be a Certified Atlus ™ Moment

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom