• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Persona 3 Portable, Persona 4 Golden and Persona 5 Royal coming to Nintendo Switch (P5R out now, P3P and P4G available January 19, 2023)

Status
Not open for further replies.
homelander-stare.gif

Well, at least this time around I most certainly won't force myself to play through a ~120h long JRPG on a pure home console. P5 on PS4 all too often felt like a chore rather than a good time, and at the end, I was actually happy it was over. Not exactly a great feeling in the given context, especially when you loved both P3 and 4.
If P6 is indeed PS only (at launch!), then I'll simply wait. I've got zero investment and interest in the PS ecosystem these days, and even a series I enjoy as much as I do in Persona's case simply isn't enough for me to put up with having to use a PS home console again at this point in time, just so that I can play the newest entry (day 1, that is). I fully expect the games to eventually release sooner rather than later on other platforms as well from here on out.

Persona 6, PlayStation exclusive, is getting revealed at the next PlayStation event.

It's likely going to be a timed exclusive at best. Don't think ATLUS is going back to Persona being PlayStation-only. And the same thing is very likely going to happen with the mainline series, as Shin Megami Tensei V's code hinted at other platforms.

It’s extremely possible that they don’t want P6 announcement to sabotage the performance of the upcoming P5 ports (especially if P6 isn’t going to be multiplatform, that could take the wind out of P5R’s sails and sales on PC and Switch, so that kind of knowledge could be best withheld until later).

I’m fine with no “new” game announcements. Give me the Dancing games on Switch.

It’s extremely possible that they don’t want P6 announcement to sabotage the performance of the upcoming P5 ports (especially if P6 isn’t going to be multiplatform, that could take the wind out of P5R’s sails and sales on PC and Switch, so that kind of knowledge could be best withheld until later).
I feel a P6 announcement would boost interest in the PC/Switch sales of P5 if anything lol, even if it isn't multiplat. It'd be a tiny teaser at best anyways.

I feel a P6 announcement would boost interest in the PC/Switch sales of P5 if anything lol, even if it isn't multiplat. It'd be a tiny teaser at best anyways.
Well, I don’t disagree, but I’m just saying that may have been Atlus’ reasoning.

Or maybe it’s something else entirely. Whatever it is, it feels like it was fairly last minute. I think something has to have changed recently. Otherwise a year of staggered announcements capped off by a concert (where they’re known to make major announcements by precedent), but with no featured announcements this time, feels off.

Sony also has a vested interest in keeping platform details under wraps as long as possible. Even PS5/PS4/PC has the potential to deflate PS5 demand as P6 is absolutely a driver of potential PS5 sales for a certain demographic.

Personally I never expected them to announce P6 this year, and I’m not expecting the game to come out until at least 2024.

They definitely are just waiting to see how the numbers are for 3/4/5 multiplatform before announcing 6 and committing to what platform(s) it will be released.

It's going to be a Playstation exclusive again.

Possibly, but then isn't the last announcement of the big "Anniversary Announcements List" supposed to be happening in October? So the question is A) Is that still Persona 6, but it's happening later in the month and not at the concert as was expected, B) The announcement is happening at the concert but it's not a new game?

I just can't see how the final announcement for the anniversary event isn't P6, that would be so bizarre. Even if it's just a very basic "here's the color, yes we're working on P6, now you won't hear about it for years" thing

The Switch version of P5R's trailer took 6 hours to gain more views than the Xbox version (including the Xbox version Atlus uploaded on their channel) put together, and is now the highest viewed video for these upcoming ports.

Anyone who thinks that the Switch versions are "coming too late" has not been paying attention lol. This is the most demanded port of all time, and now that it's happening, we're going to see it explode.

EDIT: Apparently it was even quicker than I thought, someone shared a screenshot of the Switch version overtaking the Xbox version within hours of going up lol
i'm feeling pretty confident that the switch version will best selling version of P5 in japan

i'm feeling pretty confident that the switch version will best selling version of P5 in japan
P5 sold 1.2 million in Japan…

Persona 5 (PS3) 250,000
Persona 5 (PS4) 550,000
Persona 5 Royal (PS4) 400,000

Switch version won’t outsell any of those. Maybe PS3 vanilla, but even that’s a stretch, this is a late port.

Possibly, but then isn't the last announcement of the big "Anniversary Announcements List" supposed to be happening in October? So the question is A) Is that still Persona 6, but it's happening later in the month and not at the concert as was expected, B) The announcement is happening at the concert but it's not a new game?

I just can't see how the final announcement for the anniversary event isn't P6, that would be so bizarre. Even if it's just a very basic "here's the color, yes we're working on P6, now you won't hear about it for years" thing
This news combined with the last anniversary announcement is puzzling me. Most people would expect a major announcement, not some wallpapers or a vinyl box set. Just imagine the reaction if Atlus is going to do just that, or nothing at all.

I do think it's possible that it will be announced at a Sony event and be a time-exclusive. It also might not even be P6, but a full remake of an older title, probably P3.

To be honest most of the persona anniversary announcements have been for minor stuff, merch (sometimes Japan only), that super expensive vinyl set, or other unmemorable things. p4 arena is the most notable thing iirc. The biggest announcement was the ports to modern consoles and PC for mainline and those were at Xbox and Nintendo presentations, not for any persona event. I wouldn't expect much from whatever that October thing is supposed to be.

Persona 6 is probably playstation exclusive, tbh I think Sony will pay any price to ensure this in the same way they they will pay whatever it costs to keep ff7 remake and the mainline games exclusive for X number of years. Sony likes to target a handful of "core" games to lure people to PlayStation.

If anything the older games going multiplat is a gambit to wring more money out of Sony, the mainline Persona games are got ported and will have sold a ton of copies so Atlis can use those sales numbers as leverage while negotiating a money hat "Look at how many copies we sold on Switch, Xbox, and Steam. We can make this game PlayStation exclusive but you are gonna have to pay up big time to make this happen, you're asking us to forgo all these customers after all."

The Persona games will be big sales in the west. Japan sales will be low, even Switch won't be crazy impressive even though I think it will chart launch week. Late ports of big RPGs like this don't make big waves in Japan. Only real exception is Dragon Quest XIS, but Dragon Quest is waaaaaay more popular in Japan so no surprise.

Should I lose hope for a physical release of Persona 3 and 4? I know they confirmed only digital for NA, EU and Japan but I was hoping for an asian physical release like Chrono Cross. I guess Limited Run Games is the only hope now.

Honestly, I don't think Atlus will go back to platform exclusives. Both Persona and mainline SMT will be multiplat from now IMO.

Expecting PS4/5/PC/Drake to be the default for Atlus titles for now on, and Xbox being a case by case basis

I will say, in my opinion, the talk surrounding Sony's potential exclusivity deals for Persona 6 strike me as putting the cart a few dozen yards ahead of the horse. Like for now we should just be happy at Persona 3-5 finally coming to Switch (and the series reaching multiplatform status).

We can speculate on how long Persona 6 may be exclusive for after it is announced and if it even turns out to be exclusive to begin with 😂

Are you guys getting the Steelbook edition or the Standard edition? I can't decide.
Steelbook but I just put my cases into storage so will get what might resell for more (I assume this would). Does standard come with anything or just vanilla packaging?

I just preordered two Steelbook editions for me and a friend :D

Finally listed on Amazon.ca, thank goodness.
They definitely are just waiting to see how the numbers are for 3/4/5 multiplatform before announcing 6 and committing to what platform(s) it will be released.

It's going to be a Playstation exclusive again.
Do a massive chunk of Famiboards users enjoy being unnecessarily pessimistic or something?

This is like... re-warmed leftovers of the pre-P5R announcement days.
Persona 6 is probably playstation exclusive, tbh I think Sony will pay any price to ensure this in the same way they they will pay whatever it costs to keep ff7 remake and the mainline games exclusive for X number of years. Sony likes to target a handful of "core" games to lure people to PlayStation.

If anything the older games going multiplat is a gambit to wring more money out of Sony, the mainline Persona games are got ported and will have sold a ton of copies so Atlis can use those sales numbers as leverage while negotiating a money hat "Look at how many copies we sold on Switch, Xbox, and Steam. We can make this game PlayStation exclusive but you are gonna have to pay up big time to make this happen, you're asking us to forgo all these customers after all."

The Persona games will be big sales in the west. Japan sales will be low, even Switch won't be crazy impressive even though I think it will chart launch week. Late ports of big RPGs like this don't make big waves in Japan. Only real exception is Dragon Quest XIS, but Dragon Quest is waaaaaay more popular in Japan so no surprise.
Persona becoming multi-plat is seemingly part of a broader strategy by Sega to push all games in their biggest franchises into as many platforms as they can responsibly achieve (which they said pretty explicitly in one of their financial briefings about a year ago). Sega does not appear the least bit interested in moving back to any sort of exclusivity model and, truth be told, they've not ever been too keen on it since they split their console fan base into pieces with exclusives on 3 separate consoles in the early 2000s.
I will say, in my opinion, the talk surrounding Sony's potential exclusivity deals for Persona 6 strike me as putting the cart a few dozen yards ahead of the horse. Like for now we should just be happy at Persona 3-5 finally coming to Switch (and the series reaching multiplatform status).

We can speculate on how long Persona 6 may be exclusive for after it is announced and if it even turns out to be exclusive to begin with 😂
Prematurely declaring games aren't coming to Nintendo hardware is just kind of a thing people around here want to do. It's pessimism and despair (warranted or otherwise) metastasizing into incredulity, nothing more or less than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom