• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Persona 3 Portable, Persona 4 Golden and Persona 5 Royal coming to Nintendo Switch (P5R out now, P3P and P4G available January 19, 2023)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed with SammyJ9

When I review the social links and the romancing options, while some aren't necessary, I do feel that the majority of the side stories are quite good.

P5 Royal spoilers, watch out!

If you take in account the "adult" romance options (Kawakami, Ohya, Takemi and Chihaya, I think it would be a disservice to the characters/stories to just focus on the fact that you can romance them. Kawakami backstory starts extremely pervy and lame, but it quickly esclates into a blackmail story and how she feels completely powerless, despite feeling a very strong desire to become a good teacher. Ohya, while I hated her at first, becomes far softer and her resolve to find the truth is actually great. Too bad she's somewhat, uh, loose in her approach towards booze. Takemi is a guilt ridden mess because somebody lied to her and feels a strong urge to still be a great doctor. And poor Chihaya is just a small town girl who got duped by big city con-men and Joker helps her to break free from their control.

In regards to P5's theme, I was more disappointed at how Royal had to show how a certain someone (the first boss) thought about people and they had to rub it in our faces, which felt like overkill.

The Switch version of P5R's trailer took 6 hours to gain more views than the Xbox version (including the Xbox version Atlus uploaded on their channel) put together, and is now the highest viewed video for these upcoming ports.

Anyone who thinks that the Switch versions are "coming too late" has not been paying attention lol. This is the most demanded port of all time, and now that it's happening, we're going to see it explode.

EDIT: Apparently it was even quicker than I thought, someone shared a screenshot of the Switch version overtaking the Xbox version within hours of going up lol

Last edited:
The Switch version of P5R's trailer took 12 hours to gain more views than the Xbox version (including the Xbox version Atlus uploaded on their channel) put together, and is now the highest viewed video for these upcoming ports.

Anyone who thinks that the Switch versions are "coming too late" has not been paying attention lol. This is the most demanded port of all time, and now that it's happening, we're going to see it explode.

I'd be willing to bet that it's gonna completely dominate the physical pre-orders when checking it. This will become a huge seller, that's for sure.

If SMT V can reach a million copies on Switch, I am totally sure P5 Royal can do the same.

Together with games like Nier Automata I'm pretty sure these type of games can find an audience on Nintendo platforms.

Yeah, I have a suspicion P5R on Switch alone could outsell SMTV

As much as I love Shin Megami Tensei V, there's no sense in denying that Persona 5 Royal is going to outsell it by a pretty large margin. I've heard so many good things about it, that it wouldn't surprise me if it's going to be one of my favorite games yet.

The Switch version of P5R's trailer took 6 hours to gain more views than the Xbox version (including the Xbox version Atlus uploaded on their channel) put together, and is now the highest viewed video for these upcoming ports.

EDIT: Apparently it was even quicker than I thought, someone shared a screenshot of the Switch version overtaking the Xbox version within hours of going up lol
even P5 Striker trailers had high views on Nintendo channel, but still didn't translate to high sales

this is most likely not reaching 1 million sales, it's just a port of a 5 years old Jrpg after all

Wouldn't be surprised if the Switch (and PC) ports of P5R really solidifies Persona as big franchise
I think once you hit 5 million sold for a single game, you are already a big franchise by any metric lol.

I do agree that these upcoming releases are only going to solidify that status further however.

even P5 Striker trailers had high views on Nintendo channel, but still didn't translate to high sales

this is most likely not reaching 1 million sales, it's just a port of a 5 years old Jrpg after all
P5 Strikers is understood to have sold over half a million copies on the Switch, which makes it the second bestselling SKU of the game. P5S in fact probably sold more on Switch than Nocturne HD did.

No disagreements there, but a) something that is totally avoidable by the player and b) less than 0.77% of a game's total play time hardly comprises "constantly undermines its own themes"
Again, I'm not saying you're wrong as you have valid points, but I feel like you're overly fixating on one element that's quite small and optional, that does not represent the overall game, and honestly feels a bit dismissive.
completionists:
300px-Am_I_a_Joke_To_You%3F.jpg

I'd be willing to bet that it's gonna completely dominate the physical pre-orders when checking it. This will become a huge seller, that's for sure.
something to keep an eye out for that's gonna be very funny if it happens is gonna be whether p5r switch by itself can outsell soul hackers 2. atlus' new tent pole series, releasing on all relevant modern platforms getting outsold by an old port would be chef's kiss

completionists:
You can complete the game and all of Kawakami's social link without ever romancing her lol. Social link completions aren't tied to romances. You can complete all of Kawakami's link without once romancing her. That's the whole thing I don't understand about this criticism people make about this, lol, yes, I agree it's gross and unnecessary and it has always rubbed me the wrong way, but you'd think it was this constant thing rubbed in your face and totally unavoidable, rather than being a couple of optional scenes nestled within further optional content to begin with.

something to keep an eye out for that's gonna be very funny if it happens is gonna be whether p5r switch by itself can outsell soul hackers 2. atlus' new tent pole series, releasing on all relevant modern platforms getting outsold by an old port would be chef's kiss
It will lol. As of right now, SH2 sales don't look like they will even match 13S/Nocturne HD, which were both slightly over half a million. I think the Switch and Steam ports of P5 are at the very least guaranteed to do more than that, if not right away, then over the next few months (it helps that Switch and Steam are the only two platforms that aren't as about the latest and greatest zeitgeist release, and where games are allowed to have a longer tail as a result).

completionists:

Nah they’ll announce the Soul Hackers 2 switch port before it can happen

I doubt Soul Hackers 2 hits Switch tbh
Atlus's next Switch project probably is more than a year away, they'll probably release some late ports in the meantime. Soul Hackers is a better candidate than everything else, I'd be surprised if they didn't start the port job before the game's launch.

Odin Sphere and Dragon's Crown also should hit Switch in the near future, along with an HD remaster of Grand Knights History.

I bet SH2 comes sometime next year. They did late ports for Catherine Full body and 13 sentinels.

If SMT V can reach a million copies on Switch, I am totally sure P5 Royal can do the same.

Together with games like Nier Automata I'm pretty sure these type of games can find an audience on Nintendo platforms.
Forget the Summer of JRPGs. It's now the Fall of JRPGs we need to worry about.

I usually get bored of long games nowadays but Persona 5 had me hooked from the word go and 100 hours later as the credits rolled I still wanted more. Overall I find the cast more enjoyable than 3 or 4’s, but I do think the social links for party members in 5 were on the weak side compared to previous games.

That said I really have a hard time coming back to 4 nowadays, its whole theme of conforming to society really doesn’t sit well with me. I haven’t played Golden yet (despite owning it) so I would still like to try to revisit it that way, but definitely not before I play Royal.

Still, the style, ideas, characters, soundtrack, battle system, and dungeons/world of P5 I just lapped up. I’d honestly put it in my top 5, warts and all.

Ordinarily I was of the mind that SH2 hitting the Switch was only a matter of time but given how the game barely holds itself together even on Xbox One and PS4, maybe they skipped the Switch for a reason lol.

Ordinarily I was of the mind that SH2 hitting the Switch was only a matter of time but given how the game barely holds itself together even on Xbox One and PS4, maybe they skipped the Switch for a reason lol.
Yea the DF analysis made it pretty clear they're going to need to do some serious optimization work. I'm wondering if this is an engine problem or an Atlus problem though. Like NEO TWEWY turned out fairly alright on Switch but that was UE4 not Unity.

Yea the DF analysis made it pretty clear they're going to need to do some serious optimization work. I'm wondering if this is an engine problem or an Atlus problem though. Like NEO TWEWY turned out fairly alright on Switch but that was UE4 not Unity.
I think it’s both. We know Unity demands a lot of overhead, and we know SH2 isn’t the highest budget endeavor there is (meaning resources for optimization were probably thin on the ground)

They can just release Soul Hackers 2 Special in a year for the new Switch hardware. Atlus loves going for the double dip.

Neo TWEWY was Unity, actually

I am definitely going to be lurking GBAtemp hoping someone finds some hacky path for me to carry my completed save over from PS4 to the Switch version lol. Maybe Steam version as a stepping stone? I've seen it accomplished with one or two other games.

Definitely one of my favorite games of all time but my save is absurdly long...I would absolutely love to have that playthrough on Switch for a NG+ run to dip into now and then. One of my other fav games with the same situation was Witcher 3 - I can't believe I lucked out and they implemented cross-save on that port. One of my favorite games on my favorite console and the 300 hour playthrough didn't have to be left behind!

I am definitely going to be lurking GBAtemp hoping someone finds some hacky path for me to carry my completed save over from PS4 to the Switch version lol. Maybe Steam version as a stepping stone? I've seen it accomplished with one or two other games.

Definitely one of my favorite games of all time but my save is absurdly long...I would absolutely love to have that playthrough on Switch for a NG+ run to dip into now and then. One of other fav games in this situation is the Witcher 3 - I got extremely lucky they implemented cross save on that port. One of my favorite games on my favorite console and the 300 hour playthrough didn't have to be left behind!
I really wish they'd enabled cross save for the Steam and Switch versions at least (since those platforms are far more open with their saves). While I have zero issues starting this 125 hour game over for the, uh, fourth time, I can totally understand and empathize with those who want some sort of carry over across platforms. Hell, even I'd take it if it was available (though I'd probably still start over 😅)

I really wish they'd enabled cross save for the Steam and Switch versions at least (since those platforms are far more open with their saves). While I have zero issues starting this 125 hour game over for the, uh, fourth time, I can totally understand and empathize with those who want some sort of carry over across platforms. Hell, even I'd take it if it was available (though I'd probably still start over 😅)
Wow, that’s impressive! I would definitely love to run through it all again if I had unlimited time, but there’s just too much else I want to play. Any of those a NG+ run?

Wow, that’s impressive! I would definitely love to run through it all again if I had unlimited time, but there’s just too much else I want to play. Any of those a NG+ run?
I did start an NG+ run on vanilla but never finished it lol. I actually like the stat gating in the first runs, it feels more "realistic" if that makes sense

I did start an NG+ run on vanilla but never finished it lol. I actually like the stat gating in the first runs, it feels more "realistic" if that makes sense
I'm with you on the stat roadblocks. And NG+ in vanilla makes a lot more sense, honestly in Royal I don't really see the point beyond messing around with things. Since you have more time to do basically everything in one playthrough + the endgame now goes up to levels high enough to use all personas, etc.

I guess the main draw of doing NG+ would be if you want to use Satanael

In the social links?
In general. To me it makes more sense I am not smart or confident or charismatic or whatever enough to do certain things, like that's pretty much how life works lol. I would rather have to work to surmount those stat gates than have them be handed to me in NG+

I'm with you on the stat roadblocks. And NG+ in vanilla makes a lot more sense, honestly in Royal I don't really see the point beyond messing around with things. Since you have more time to do basically everything in one playthrough + the endgame now goes up to levels high enough to use all personas, etc.

I guess the main draw of doing NG+ would be if you want to use Satanael
Yeah, Royal especially makes NG+ totally superfluous with how much time it gives you to max out the whole game in one run. That said, I am very lad the NG+ option exists, especially since it allows more granular control over the difficulty if nothing else.

In general. To me it makes more sense I am not smart or confident or charismatic or whatever enough to do certain things, like that's pretty much how life works lol. I would rather have to work to surmount those stat gates than have them be handed to me in NG+
Yeah that totally makes sense I get that. It was so late last night I couldn’t remember any gating other than social links which was why I asked! Now I’m remembering tests at school, etc.

I have Persona 5 Royal on my PS5 (via PS4) but I didn’t get very far into it (about 5 hours). I’m honestly debating just buying it for the Switch, since I feel like being on a portable hybrid would mean I’d actually get through it a lot faster than I would on a home console. It’s kind of the same reason why I never finished DQXI on the PS4 either, which I was also debating eventually getting on Switch.

Any word on P5R handheld resolution?
Catherine Full Body came in at 1080p/720p for docked/handheld respectively, but given P5R is a bigger, more intensive game, I can see it coming in worse. I have seen it said that the game will be 720p docked online, but that seems to be speculation (and often seems to come from similar quarters who would also say that the Switch can't run P5 to begin with), so right now it doesn't look like we have any official word either way

I have Persona 5 Royal on my PS5 (via PS4) but I didn’t get very far into it (about 5 hours). I’m honestly debating just buying it for the Switch, since I feel like being on a portable hybrid would mean I’d actually get through it a lot faster than I would on a home console. It’s kind of the same reason why I never finished DQXI on the PS4 either, which I was also debating eventually getting on Switch.
I bought P5R for PS4 and I'm definitely getting it on Switch. If I'm only ever gonna play this game once, it's gonna be on Switch.

It was about time. Today the game appeared online here as well. Pre-ordered! 😋

Hoping there is a tech breakdown of the game across platforms. Would love to see a DF: PS3 / Switch / PS4 / Series X mega breakdown.

I'm in two minds around platform to get this on as it stands. Gamepass is cool, but I love having jRPGs portable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom