• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Paying for healthcare or waiting for it.

EddyZacianLand

Bob-omb
Pronouns
He/Him
I know it's more complicated than this but the debate against UHC always comes down to wait times, so I am wondering would you rather be forced to pay a ton for Healthcare or wait a long time for it?

I'm not sure what the wait times are in the US but in the UK if you need emergency treatment you can get seen to very quickly. If you potentially have a serious illness you can get referred for the right tests very quickly as well. The bad parts of our Healthcare system have always come from various governments trying to get private companies to run certain parts of it as those contracts very rarely seem to offer true value for money.

I don't understand this debate, I live in France and we have universal healthcare but not too long wait times. If wait times tend to get longer these days it's because our government wants to privatise our health system and reduce public fundings, not because we have a socialized health system

I don't understand this debate, I live in France and we have universal healthcare but not too long wait times. If wait times tend to get longer these days it's because our government wants to privatise our health system and reduce public fundings, not because we have a socialized health system
I agree with you, it's so stupid that Americans would use against making free at the time of use.

My mom had open heart surgery in Toronto last year. The gap between being diagnosed and having the surgery done was literally less than a week. Most we paid for was parking and gas to get to the hospital.

My mom had open heart surgery in Toronto last year. The gap between being diagnosed and having the surgery done was literally less than a week. Most we paid for was parking and gas to get to the hospital.
wow,

thank lord Jesus for the fast response, in the US it would take at least a month after they have done thousands of blood testings hahahaha

Lived in the UK, USA and Canada. Universal healthcare is better overall. Paying for it is nice if you can afford or can get insured by your employer, but without those perks, it's a nightmare.

wow,

thank lord Jesus for the fast response, in the US it would take at least a month after they have done thousands of blood testings hahahaha
Yeah, and the surgery would have certainly bankrupted us if this was the States. I don't mind paying more in taxes if it means other people can make use of healthcare without the fear of financial ruin.

Its bizarre to read these things. I truly believe that everyone should have access quickly to healthcare.

In the Netherlands we pay a fee/premium with the healthcare provider you have a contract with. I’m pretty happy with them and yeah, these days it gets a bit pricey, but I don’t have to worry about anything if something were to happen with me.

I’m in Toronto as well and this is my experience with our system too. I can’t imagine having a financial burden weighing in on a decision of whether or not to have a surgery done.

I’m glad it worked out and hope your Mom is doing well now!

Is it an either/or thing? Most western countries have public and private healthcare living side by side (apart from public health being constantly underfunded/termited by conservative governments) and for urgent/emergency stuff you go straight in (in Australia at least) - arguably the major difference for most ppl is getting a private room or shared ward/room. Obviously, there can be more of a wait for elective surgeries etc... not more than a couple months usually (obv it can be longer for certain things) but that's about it - most of the procedures are done in the same hospitals by the same doctors etc... Not to mention the price of day to day medical treatment being free/cheaper and accessible to everyone (medication, GP visits etc...)

If I'd been born in the US I'd be long dead or seriously in debt. That's a sobering thought.

Even TERF Island has its positives!

I think they made me wait a month or two for my kidney stone procedure(s). I was not in any pain, so can see why they'd wait. Mine was during the earlyish days of Covid though.

As someone who spent over a year navigating the American healthcare system with a chronic illness, I absolutely believe that opposing socialized healthcare is a barbaric standpoint and will not vote for any politician that doesn't unapologetically support it.

Long waiting times for healthcare are largely right wing talking points made to sound like privatized healthcare is the better option, mostly lies built on nothing. Healthcare has become increasingly more expensive and wait lists are longer in the US because of that privatization.

I know it's more complicated than this but the debate against UHC always comes down to wait times, so I am wondering would you rather be forced to pay a ton for Healthcare or wait a long time for it?
It’s a false dichotomy, long wait times are not inherent to socialized medicine

It all depends on which country you live in and how urgently you need medical care. Sometimes, it's easier to pay the extra money and get everything you need right away. In the USA, the healthcare system is very complex, and it is important to understand insurance plans so as not to make a mistake in choosing your health insurance. I picked up my plan using the website so I think it's necessary to understand everything in the smallest detail about what I'm paying for. Even though medicine is the most expensive in the world in the USA, now I get all the help I need for free.

It all depends on which country you live in and how urgently you need medical care. Sometimes, it's easier to pay the extra money and get everything you need right away.
Or in the United States do both. Pay a shit ton AND wait months for a procedure.

People act like wait times in US hospitals are nonexistent. My fiance had a gallbladder attack last year that put her in the ER and she waited 2 hours to get seen, 2 more hours to get morphine, and 5 hours to finally get discharged. They wanted to admit her to get it removed that night when she adamantly said no. Kid next to us had a broken arm; didn't even get Motrin for 2 hours.

US hospitals are really not that great. Nowhere near the exceptional level people think they are to justify paying so much money out of pocket for healthcare.

People act like wait times in US hospitals are nonexistent. My fiance had a gallbladder attack last year that put her in the ER and she waited 2 hours to get seen, 2 more hours to get morphine, and 5 hours to finally get discharged. They wanted to admit her to get it removed that night when she adamantly said no. Kid next to us had a broken arm; didn't even get Motrin for 2 hours.

US hospitals are really not that great. Nowhere near the exceptional level people think they are to justify paying so much money out of pocket for healthcare.

Yes, all of this.

And I'm sorry that happened to your fiance.

Thanks man.

US hospitals are greedy and corrupt to their core. I have no faith anything will change; the time to nationalize them was the pandemic and everyone sat on their hands.
I developed a chronic illness over the last couple of years and having to navigate the US healthcare system during that time period made me realize anyone who thinks this system is good is clueless at best or actively malicious at worst.

It’s also a total scam.

We’re finally getting the bills from my son’s birth and while it didn’t sting too much. (Around $2500 after our insurance paid) I called and bitched and asked for an itemized bill and they reduced what we owe to $1800.

Why is it this arbitrary?

I developed a chronic illness over the last couple of years and having to navigate the US healthcare system during that time period made me realize anyone who thinks this system is good is clueless at best or actively malicious at worst.
Agreed. I’m sorry you’re going through that, friend.

Thanks man.

US hospitals are greedy and corrupt to their core. I have no faith anything will change; the time to nationalize them was the pandemic and everyone sat on their hands.

Yup. It's why I'm moving to Canada. Every time I hear a Canadian complain about wait times all I can think is "you don't realize how much worse it can be."

Or in the United States do both. Pay a shit ton AND wait months for a procedure.

Exactly.

What you definitely shouldn't do is "beat" bugs and other insects on the upholstered upholstery of the cabin. Removing stains will not always go smoothly, but it will take a lot of time and effort. The best way is a vacuum cleaner, and even a portable car will do. At the first sounds of the beetle, the main part of the insects will leave the salon of their own free will, and all the rest will be carefully collected and shaken out along with dust, which will accumulate a lot after any trip out of town. At the same time, the "fragrant" garbage from the trunk will not be forgotten. Pest control is carried out differently for all drivers.

Last edited:

what even is the logic here?

"Wait times will be long because more people seek treatment when everyone can afford it"?

Because I can't imagine a more cynical train of thought. It's fuck you, got mine to an extreme.

And while it's true that in many places it can take months to get appointments at specialized doctors you'll get quick treatment in actual emergencies.

We have to be ready for unexpected things, so it's very important to pay bigger attention to healthcare insurance programs. That's why, from my own experience, the best to choose is centerofadvancedwellness.com. From my point of view, we have to be insured for any emergency cases. Suppose you have a good medical insurance plan. In that case, you can get the best medical treatment and medicines without any additional costs. Also, it's important to choose a very wise and careful type of insurance.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom