• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Palworld has reached 12 Million players on Steam, 7 Million players on Xbox

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tell that to all the kids playing games like Fortnite, FIFA, GTA, CoD etc. beause they find it fun

I really don't understand the problem with playing games for fun.

Not everything have to be complicated.

"Hi mom, I want that game, looks fun"
"No Brian, you need to think, not just consume"
"Mom, what on earth are you talking about"
People can make their own arguments for themselves instead of others generalizing for them.

It's not unusual for people to be attracted to a game first and foremost because something appeals to them personally, whether they think characters look cool, or the gameplay looks to their interest, or there's something about the story summary that grabs them. And there's a difference between "Hey, this game looks fun" and "I think this game is/isn't fun because..."

If my brother's kids think a game is fun, I'd like to hear in their own words why. And I think they're capable stating why in a way that isn't a stereotypical "Kid likes shiny thing!" answer.

If my brother's kids think a game is fun, I'd like to hear in their own words why. And I think they're capable stating why in a way that isn't a stereotypical "Kid likes shiny thing!" answer.

I've personally never cared why someone finds a game fun and want to have an answer for it.

I work at a school where kids play all kinds of games (mostly Fortnite, Minecraft and Lethal Company), I find Fortnite personally boring, but I don't care why they play it. They like Fortnite, it's fun to them, don't need them to discuss why it's fun. I have actually asked some kids why they find Fortnite fun some years ago, but never got an actual answer, so why ask again.

Usually it goes like this

"You play Fortnite"
"Yes"
"You actually find it fun? Why, I think it's boring"
"Well I like it"
"Okay".

I've personally never cared why someone finds a game fun and want to have an answer for it.

I work at a school where kids play all kinds of games (mostly Fortnite, Minecraft and Lethal Company), I find Fortnite personally boring, but I don't care why they play it. they like Fortnite, it's fun to them, don't need them to discuss why it's fun.
You must be an absolute joy to speak with a parties. (Edit: Your edit does not make your argument any better.)

I may not personally like a game my nephew plays, but I want to hear him talk about it anyway, because it's something he enjoys.

Because you sound incredibly dismissive of where people get enjoyment from and why.

No, I am not, I simply don't care that people play games just because they are fun and don't need kids to come up with reasons why why they find games fun.

You read things in my post that I don't write, I assume because you are very passionate about this topic and Im not.

No, I am not, I simply don't care that people play games just because they are fun and don't need kids to come up with reasons why why they find games fun.

You read things in my post that I don't write, I assume because you are very passionate about this topic and Im not.
I'm not even sure you read what I wrote, but given the nature of your response, I'm surprised you even care enough to post anything in this thread at all.

thank you sherlock. got any other mindblowing observations.
Reminder that we have a staff post asking to tone down hostility. Please do not attack other members.

Well this is a discussion forum where you discuss topics.
Being frank with you, the issue seems to be that you want to shut down the discussion. Your sentiment seems to be that, why should we care about art and plagiarism and so on if the game is fun?

And that's the thing, people can have fun with Palworld. Knock yourselves out. There is still room to criticize it.

Reminder that we have a staff post asking to tone down hostility. Please do not attack other members.

Being frank with you, the issue seems to be that you want to shut down the discussion. Your sentiment seems to be that, why should we care about art and plagiarism and so on if the game is fun?

And that's the thing, people can have fun with Palworld. Knock yourselves out. There is still room to criticize it.
I've learned that there is a certain large group of gamers who don't really consider video games as a work of art. While also primarily dabbling in bad faith arguments like the Dragon Quest stuff. It's largely why I just no longer bother with this conversation cause there's nothing to be gained. I'm just talking to a wall.

It is interesting to see how you don't ban people who are clearly hostile. I guess being on one side makes you invulnerable. I have seen it several times already in this thread.

I'm just pointing out a fact, please don't ban me 😂

If you're giving me an opening to gush about Pokemon SuMo's narrative containing the most viscerally real depiction of child abuse at the hands of an addict parent, I'd be happy to take it.
-raises hand- I'll give you an opening! I love these types of analysis!

I work at a school where kids play all kinds of games (mostly Fortnite, Minecraft and Lethal Company), I find Fortnite personally boring, but I don't care why they play it. They like Fortnite, it's fun to them, don't need them to discuss why it's fun.
I must assume you're not an English teacher then, if you're not provoking your students to thoughtfully engage with media, and critically analyze what makes it good? Because that's what the entire class that is English is about from about grade 4 onwards, at least in my country.

To answer the question you never asked me:
I enjoy Fortnite because it contains a diverse set of crossovers from franchises I recognize, both ones I like, and ones I dislike. It engages me and my friends together in a lowstakes fight. The matches are short and easy to pick up, wait times are short, and the game gives a good sense of accomplishment with each kill. It allows me to safely feel a bit competitive with others, while the stakes are so low that I don't mind if I lose. The crossover characters it has add to the game as they present humorous appeal and put characters into positions I otherwise might not have considered, e.g. Ochako shooting Morty with a shotgun. The game's made yet more interesting by the various events Epic hosts for when the season ends, the Eminem concert is a great example. I don't like Eminem personally, at all, but the concert took your character through various scenes and sequences teasing and showcasing what to expect from next season. Since I was controlling my character, it felt like I was actually there, and was truly captivating. The sequence then ended with a giant guy rapping down at the player, as you got to look around at the other 3 in your party and experience this moment together.

I enjoy Minecraft because it allows me to explore a vast world and create my own adventure. I can create my own projects and work towards completing self-set goals. It's rewarding to happen upon resources, and made harder (and scarier) by the mobs that spawn. Knowing that I only have until nightfall to safely traverse the world above-ground makes me have to think more carefully about how I engage with the game, while the below-ground darkness often leaves me finding myself afraid. The various structures throughout the world contain interesting materials that I might put towards building my creations and completing projects, while things like automation help me complete my projects easier. In short, it's fun because I can create and complete my own completely arbitrary goals, with very little guidance from the game itself (I legitimately don't like doing the ender dragon though, it's such a boring goal to me).
The point I'm making through the above is that, yes, even these "fun kids games" do have reasoning behind why people continue to engage with them, and why they enjoy them. Kids, too, even if they don't have the words or means to express why, have reasoning behind why they like things. It's the job of a teacher to provide guidance so that one day they can. And maybe one day your kids will put out a 2 hour retrospective on Fortnite and you'll understand that, even if you couldn't see it, even if they couldn't communicate it, there was reasoning behind them liking it. Maybe it can be summed as "because it's fun", but that's a very incomplete picture of what's actually happening.

TL;DR please actually engage with your kids on the things that matter to them. If you can't understand from them, teach them to communicate it properly.

It is interesting to see how you don't ban people who are clearly hostile. I guess being on one side makes you invulnerable. I have seen it several times already in this thread.

I'm just pointing out a fact, please don't ban me 😂

If you think that people disagreeing with you is hostility, I think that you need to sit down, relax, and enjoy a nice cold bottle of

images

If you think that people disagreeing with you is hostility, I think that you need to sit down, relax, and enjoy a nice cold bottle of

images

Not disagreeing; being hostile/rude as I said. And I don't like soft drinks 😅 A glass of hot milk or tea is better.

You have an issue with any post? Report it. Don't try to play it off as bias towards one side. Your previous ban was not because of hostility.

You have an issue with any post? Report it. Don't try to play it off as bias towards one side. Your previous ban was not because of hostility.

I have never reported anyone nor do I believe I ever will. I don't really like to do it.

And my previous ban was because of everyone's misinterpretation. Just before I was banned, I was writing to them that I didn't mean to offend  them in any way and that I don't think  they plagiarized anything. People were saying something that I didn't say; that I was accusing them of plagiarism and that wasn't the case at any time. At least I know that I have to be more careful with what I say and say things clearly.

Last edited:
I have never reported anyone nor do I believe I ever will. I don't really like to do it.

And my previous ban was because of everyone's misinterpretation. Just before I was banned, I was writing to her that I didn't mean to offend her in any way and that I don't think she plagiarized anything. People were saying something that I didn't say; that I was accusing her of plagiarism and that wasn't the case at any time. At least I know that I have to be more careful with what I say and say things clearly.
I'm not a girl and my pronouns are right fucking there so thanks for misgendering me in the post where you claim you don't want to offend me.

Also the problem with your post wasn't the meat of the potential accusation itself so much as the bad faith it was made in.

For misgendering and then being dismissive and attempting to deflect onto the other party, as well as trolling, antagonizing, and shifting positions only to cover yourself across posts, you have been permanently banned. -xghost777, BA, MB, PS, BLG, DS, TC
I'm not a girl and my pronouns are right fucking there so thanks for misgendering me in the post where you claim you don't want to offend me.

Also the problem with your post wasn't the meat of the potential accusation itself so much as the bad faith it was made in.

Sorry, I thought I remembered it was she/her. You don't need to be so aggressive.

And the intention of my post was to prove my point: that nowadays every design can be accused of plagiarism; literally.

And one should argue/discuss without being disrespectful to others. No need to be rude.

Sorry, I thought I remembered it was she/her. You don't need to be so aggressive.

And the intention of my post was to prove my point: that nowadays every design can be accused of plagiarism; literally.

And one should argue/discuss without being disrespectful to others. No need to be rude.
no the point of your post was complaining about getting banned

And my previous ban was because of everyone's misinterpretation. Just before I was banned, I was writing to them that I didn't mean to offend  them in any way and that I don't think  they plagiarized anything. People were saying something that I didn't say; that I was accusing them of plagiarism and that wasn't the case at any time. At least I know that I have to be more careful with what I say and say things clearly.
No need to misrepresent your previous ban, they are easy enough to check. It had two parts-

For continuous bad-faith discussion as well as lobbing unfounded accusations against a fellow member

Clearly it was your argument over a bunch of posts, in which you were trying to claim plagiarism was impossible not to do, as well as that you’d be able to find it in the work of the member you were talking to in the post the ban was placed on. I don’t think anyone misinterpreted your posts earlier in this thread, you’re just focusing on one and reframing it in an especially generous light.

Last edited:
I must assume you're not an English teacher then, if you're not provoking your students to thoughtfully engage with media, and critically analyze what makes it good? Because that's what the entire class that is English is about from about grade 4 onwards, at least in my country.

To answer the question you never asked me:

The point I'm making through the above is that, yes, even these "fun kids games" do have reasoning behind why people continue to engage with them, and why they enjoy them. Kids, too, even if they don't have the words or means to express why, have reasoning behind why they like things. It's the job of a teacher to provide guidance so that one day they can. And maybe one day your kids will put out a 2 hour retrospective on Fortnite and you'll understand that, even if you couldn't see it, even if they couldn't communicate it, there was reasoning behind them liking it. Maybe it can be summed as "because it's fun", but that's a very incomplete picture of what's actually happening.

TL;DR please actually engage with your kids on the things that matter to them. If you can't understand from them, teach them to communicate it properly.

I won't make 11 year old and 14 year old Norwegian students write an essay in English about why they find Tetris or Fortnite fun. They are far from ready for that.

And unless you are a Nowegian teacher who teaches 11-16 year olds in English in Norway, do not try to lecture me about my students.

Last edited:
I won't make 11 year old and 14 year old Norwegian students write an essay in English about why they find Tetris or Fortnite fun. They are far from ready for that.

And unless you are a Nowegian teacher who teaches 11-16 year olds in English in Norway, do not try to lecture me about my students
Teaching critical thinking is, well, critical. It's not much of a lecture if you're already doing that. 11-16 year olds are definitely old enough to critically engage with and analyze the media they enjoy though. Them being Norwegian doesn't change that.

Teaching critical thinking is, well, critical. It's not much of a lecture if you're already doing that. 11-16 year olds are definitely old enough to critically engage with and analyze the media they enjoy though. Them being Norwegian doesn't change that.

No, you have no clue what you are talking about. Don't talk about other people's students like you know them.

People who don't talk to the students Im talking to everyday and are not all day long inside the classroom have no clue about what's happening with their performances.

One of the worst things is people who are not teachers and do not have their feets inside the classroom all day long start talking about how school is and works like they know everything.

Last edited:
Palworld discussion has more than run its course at this point as nearly every angle has been explored. We’ll be locking the thread here. Unless major news breaks that isn’t another sales update, let’s give this topic a break for a while.

-xghost777, big lantern ghost, Dardan Sandiego

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom