• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News PAC-MAN WORLD Re-PAC announced, coming August 26 to all platforms

Are you referring to the main theme of beloved arcade game Pac-Mom?
I mean, we joke (Pac-Mom: Maze Madness when?), but unless I am mistaken, the matter of copyright isn't concerning the Ms. Pac-Man character - it's over the Ms. Pac-Man game. So far as we know, Bandai Namco owns the Ms. Pac-Man IP and is free to use the character whenever they want (they did back in March on social media), but they don't want to, presumably (but not guaranteed) as it draws attention to the game they do not fully own and do not want to distribute - or alternatively, AtGames got more rights from the lawsuits.

So, for instance, it's not like they could avoid the IP issue by editing the Ms. Pac-Man arcade game to use Pac-Mom instead - that's still GCC's game, and that means AtGames gets royalties. What I wonder is if the same royalty clause applies to other content from the game, like remixes of the music. If these remixes are being used without a hitch, then I suppose then that content derivative of Ms. Pac-Man is fine, with the only thing being disputed being the literal game itself.

I mean, we joke (Pac-Mom: Maze Madness when?), but unless I am mistaken, the matter of copyright isn't concerning the Ms. Pac-Man character - it's over the Ms. Pac-Man game. So far as we know, Bandai Namco owns the Ms. Pac-Man IP and is free to use the character whenever they want (they did back in March on social media), but they don't want to, presumably (but not guaranteed) as it draws attention to the game they do not fully own and do not want to distribute - or alternatively, AtGames got more rights from the lawsuits.

So, for instance, it's not like they could avoid the IP issue by editing the Ms. Pac-Man arcade game to use Pac-Mom instead - that's still GCC's game, and that means AtGames gets royalties. What I wonder is if the same royalty clause applies to other content from the game, like remixes of the music. If these remixes are being used without a hitch, then I suppose then that content derivative of Ms. Pac-Man is fine, with the only thing being disputed being the literal game itself.

Apparently they have to pay AT games everytime Miss Pac Man is used, also the game Maze Madness belong entirily to Namco is probably possible to them to just change the title and design, also they can always say something like "a new game based on the og Maze Madness" when in reality is not

Also im going to make a prediction, i have the feeling that Pac Man World 2 is already in the work, and it will be announced this late Winter for Sprig/Summer 2023

One of the game's features is the slot machine, which gives free lives if you can match the fruits. Given how gambling mechanics are discouraged in video games in order to ensure a wider age rating, I wonder if that will be changed. This game has some very difficult parts that made farming lives viable, but I am hoping that there is no need to play the slot machine to get lots of lives this time.

Also, this game has the rare Outtakes feature (you get it by completing 100%, which includes completing all of this game's mazes in a row), which I don't think will be done but it would be nice if they do this again.

Thank you for reading.

In the game's first reveal, there are some stuff shown that basically balance the game to make it easier. For example, we see Pac-Man becoming gigantic when he takes a power pellet, how Anubis Rex did not have platform gaps between the rolling pads which made it less likely to fall, and how Krome Keeper has 6 HP like the Japanese version (the original has 8 HP).

Then the game has a short gameplay showcase with new stuff like Pac-Man with a new hovering move (similar to the Yoshi's flutter jump) that I am sure would be very appreciated by more people, and how Toc-Man's battle seem like it will be different, because after the person who played the game shaved off all of Toc-Man's HP, they cut the game footage off, like as if there will be more but they can't show it yet. It looks like the remake will be a more different experience than the original, and I look forward to see what changes were made!

Thank you for reading.

Gameplay from like a month ago that I missed, happy pac man world month!

I am really excited for this. Here’s hoping it is successful enough to convince Bandai Namco to remake PAC-MAN World 2.

New Graphics Comparison trailer! Looks great, my only concern is with how zoomed in some scenes look, having the top and bottom cut off rather than expanding from the shift from 4:3.

The remake mostly compares well to the original, but..oh my. Some of those shots are extremely zoomed in. The lava section and especially that swimming section look too close for comfort. Not a dealbreaker but an odd choice, for sure.

Ms. Pac-Man is dead, long live Ms. Pac-Man.

I guess the one-two punch of Museum+ and this is Namco's way of trying to both capture nostalgia and refresh the brand in the wake of the AtGames lawsuits. I'm intrigued but not exactly hyped, ya know?

Brock, you have many wild opinions, but this is too far. Pac-Mom is garbage. Give her a nose, damn it! And why are her limbs so damn skinny?? She's a cheap replacement and she always will be.

If that's a fix then it is irreparable. Those eyes are weird! Why doesn't she have Pac-Man style eyes??
It's so weird that this is actually a fake controversy online.

Said this on the other place, but I figured they wouldn't let any of the characters talk full recorded sentences in english... Ghostly Adventures is still pretty much recent on people's minds, and World 3 also wasn't well recieved when characters (especially Pac himself) started talking by the elbows.

But I really thought that this would be like a Super Monkey Ball Banana Mania situation, where they'd even cut all the text implying conversations.. but I do appreciate the compromise! Somehow, the Ghost Gang doing the Banjo-like gibberish doesn't sound off to me, and the sounds they make reminds me of Pac-Man 2 and Pac-In-Time (where Pac made similar sounds); So I like it!

Just over two days to go! Ready to pre-order on the eShop myself, just waiting for some Switch impressions

EDIT: Oh, pre order isn’t live in US. Namco strikes again lol (RE: Klonoa)

any idea of review embargo?

Oh, answering my own question... seems like it is this morning! Woke up to this review in my sub box

Seems faithful, for better or worse!

Unfortunately, just like Klonoa, Switch version seems to have frame pacing issues. Did Klonoa get any patches?

Last edited:
So the whole game is basically up on YouTube. It's a pretty faithful remake in most regards, but be aware if you care about that kinda thing!

Oh, answering my own question... seems like it is this morning! Woke up to this review in my sub box

Seems faithful, for better or worse!

Unfortunately, just like Klonoa, Switch version seems to have frame pacing issues. Did Klonoa get any patches?

I'm sorry, but this is the crap that really drives me up the wall. Nothing about this and especially Klonoa screams that it can't run smoothly on the Switch. All this does is drive bs narratives that Switch is less powerful than PS3/XB360 games( some even imply less than Wii U/Wii).

Looks like scores are 6-7 range. I really think a two pack may have reviewed considerably better since people prefer the second entry. Definitely curious how it will perform.

Looking at one of the longplays, it's interesting how some of the bosses have changed. Anubis Rex is noted to be seemingly easier due to the wider platforms around the rotating pads, but there is one aspect that still made it a challenge: if you lost a life, the 4 phases have to be redone, compared to the original where you restart a phase if you lost a life there. Other bosses were also changed, like how Krome Keeper requires you to roll into it to hit it instead of pressing a button for scrap metal to fall on its head, which is something I thought was strange since you can't really interact with it originally. As I have suspected, Toc-Man's boss have been changed, and it appears to take a page from the original's three phases where each introduced an attack (butt-bounce in the second, rev roll in the third), but with added flair to make it more awesome.

It appears that the ending was changed to make Pac-Man nicer to the grey ghost, who is not given a name, probably to match the characterisation of Pac-Man's modern incarnation, because in the end even the ghosts celebrate Pac-Man's birthday party. Time will tell if something similar will happen to Spooky in the sequel.

Thank you for reading.

Looks like scores are 6-7 range. I really think a two pack may have reviewed considerably better since people prefer the second entry. Definitely curious how it will perform.
I think it being pretty cheap will help it out, but Re-Pac is very obviously a budget title and it shows. I could see bundle packs of Museum + and Re-Pac doing decently depending on the price point. Given how they both are done by the same team in the same engine, it almost feels like you could graph them together (replacing the original's arcade Pac-Man mode) and have it work out.

I'm curious to see a World 2 remake - it's quite different from World 1, even with shared character mechanics for Pac-Man. I can see why they didn't remake both at the same time.

60fps on xbox or 30 on switch... agh

I think I'll grab it on Switch and if it happens to come to game pass down the line, best of both worlds

Oh, hold up! Unless I just missed it (was multitasking while listening), I didn’t hear either review I posted mention this. There’s a resolution and performance mode toggle! Looking forward to hearing more about performance in each…

Oh, hold up! Unless I just missed it (was multitasking while listening), I didn’t hear either review I posted mention this. There’s a resolution and performance mode toggle! Looking forward to hearing more about performance in each…

I was literally about to come into the thread to mention the same thing. Why wasn't this advertised at any point? A performance mode makes Switch a much more valuable proposition.

I was literally about to come into the thread to mention the same thing. Why wasn't this advertised at any point? A performance mode makes Switch a much more valuable proposition.
Namco is entirely miserably with pre-release advertising lol. The game isn’t even pre-orderable a day before release :(

I'm so glad Pac-Man World is truly back. Those were the games that cemented that Pac-Man has real franchise potential. Also looking forward to Pac-Man World 2 getting the same treatment.

PMW3... given what I've heard of the game, they might want to pull a Crash 4 and "replace" that title in the canon.

Also also, Pac-Man World returning somewhat re-sours my feelings on Pac-Man having his "arcade" moveset in Smash as opposed to his own moves from the PMW series.

Seems like the norm for the Pac-Man brand. Museum+ was the same way. Lots of questions about that one before release that only got solved once the game was in people's hands.

TBF, other mascots like Mario and Sonic have pulled the rug under Pac so hard that I'm not surprised that Namco wants to focus on their more profitable ventures like Tekken, Tales, Soul, and especially their anime licenses.

Per Indiejacob.

Same reaction as him. Why did this not get any mention??? Klonoa is 60fps (though not consistent) on Switch, so I know Pac-Man World should, and it did!

Man Bandai Namco hasn't been competent with their advertising lately.

Per Indiejacob.

Same reaction as him. Why did this not get any mention??? Klonoa is 60fps (though not consistent) on Switch, so I know Pac-Man World should, and it did!

Man Bandai Namco hasn't been competent with their advertising lately.

Not advertised and not even noticed by reviewers lol…

Wooo, downloading now!

Anyone making an OT or should we just convert this one?

First level down. Switched right into performance mode as the frame pacing stuck right out to me. Looked amazing on the OLED and ran smooth as butter to my eye!

So glad this got a remake. As a huge fan of the sequel while owning this one on GBA, what a treat. Feels super well made and respectful to the original.

First level down. Switched right into performance mode as the frame pacing stuck right out to me. Looked amazing on the OLED and ran smooth as butter to my eye!

So glad this got a remake. As a huge fan of the sequel while owning this one on GBA, what a treat. Feels super well made and respectful to the original.
Does that mean a consistent 60 FPS? That's what I like to hear. This would be a great Digital Foundry video...

Picking up a physical copy this afternoon.

I consider myself fluent in the genre and yet I've never played this game. I have no idea what to expect! I played a couple of hours of Pac-Man World 2 on the Gamecube nearly two decades ago, and I have no memory of what that was like (though I recall having a good enough time).

What contemporaries in the genre would this be most comparable to?

Picking this up for sure. BUT, why the fuck does this game of all games have a performance mode.

When I look at Splatoon 2 and 3 or Odyssey, which looks light years ahead of this game.... why the hell does game have a performance mode.

I am a NOT stickler for 30fps vs 60fps as long as it is pretty stable, but if given the option, of course I will take 60fps.

I see no reason why this is not just 60fps flat.

Picking this up for sure. BUT, why the fuck does this game of all games have a performance mode.

When I look at Splatoon 2 and 3 or Odyssey, which looks light years ahead of this game.... why the hell does game have a performance mode.

I am a NOT stickler for 30fps vs 60fps as long as it is pretty stable, but if given the option, of course I will take 60fps.

I see no reason why this is not just 60fps flat.
Probably because of Unity

Picking up a physical copy this afternoon.

I consider myself fluent in the genre and yet I've never played this game. I have no idea what to expect! I played a couple of hours of Pac-Man World 2 on the Gamecube nearly two decades ago, and I have no memory of what that was like (though I recall having a good enough time).

What contemporaries in the genre would this be most comparable to?
Most comparable to Crash, Mario 3D land and the sort thanks to its fixed camera approach. The sequel brought the camera third person and borrowed a lot from Mario 64 on, but interestingly was still grounded in the principles of this title. As someone who only played the sequel prior and the GBA version of this one, it’s an interesting ride!

Performance mode continues to delight. On my TV you can definitely tell a res drop when you switch modes, but tbh if performance had been the default I never would have minded. It looks great.

One night down with the game and I’m 42% complete and finished the first 3 worlds. I think I had 100% completion on the stages save for one maze that I’ll go back to do.

Seems this will be a short and sweet romp, as someone who doesn’t complete games often… appreciated! Lol

Back
Top Bottom