• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News PAC-MAN Museum + - Announcement Trailer (Coming May 27, 2022 to NSW, PS4, Xbox, Steam) [Release Date Trailer Added!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
This collection looks great, but only thing that gives me pause is that part that says "you can use the coins to play arcade games or use them to customize the arcade." So unless I missed something it sounds to me like you need to spend in game currency just to play the games in the collection. What happens if you spend all your coins customizing the arcade? You can't play? I'd like some more clarification on how the coin system works.
I do wonder what that means, they were pretty unclear about that. I see a "Credit" label above the Pac-Mania game, which suggests you can load it with credits - perhaps it's used as an Extra Credits kinda deal? You do play the games to earn the credits (are they only won by missions? That suggests a finite amount, no?), so if you have zero credits Especially since no IAPs were announced alongside the game.

The game's press release doesn't mention the mechanic, but does mention that you can unlock missions with coins:
Additionally, PAC-MAN MUSEUM+ features a unique visual interface that resembles an Arcade game center. Players can customize their game center by placing cabinets, decorations, and memorabilia throughout their personalized arcade. In addition, there is a mission-based progression system where completing game missions rewards players with coins which can be used to unlock more missions or items that players can place in their virtual arcade room.
So yeah, a little unclear there?

Yeah, I'm hoping for confirmation that this is a standard, priced release and doesn't involve getting coins to actually play the games. But DAMN am I happy, especially with this finally making it to a Nintendo system after the original version missed it long ago. Battle Royale, original CE, Pac-In-Time, and having both versions of Arrangement are the highlights for me. Can't wait!!

Also, re: Ms. Pac Man, yeah, it's sad. Really hoping that issue can be figured out sooner than later.

As always with me

No Ms Pac-Man, No buy.
Considering Namco doesn't own the rights to the Ms. Pac-Man game, you might be waiting a long while there, buddy.

This collection looks great, but only thing that gives me pause is that part that says "you can use the coins to play arcade games or use them to customize the arcade." So unless I missed something it sounds to me like you need to spend in game currency just to play the games in the collection. What happens if you spend all your coins customizing the arcade? You can't play? I'd like some more clarification on how the coin system works.
Yeah, that's pretty iffy. Maybe you get a set amount of coins every day for free? Still not great, but...no, still not great. They really should just allow you to play the games whenever you want but still have coins be a reward so you can buy the decorations.

Still no answer from Bamco if this is getting a physical release or not; But I didn't expect them to reply to a nobody like me :>

I'm personally not too hopeful on the matter, but would be great, especially to preserve Pac-Man 256.

Still no answer from Bamco if this is getting a physical release or not; But I didn't expect them to reply to a nobody like me :>

I'm personally not too hopeful on the matter, but would be great, especially to preserve Pac-Man 256.
Eh, i'd imagine the Pac-Man IP is strong enough that they'll eventually do a physical release. Just not on day one.
The last Namco Museum ended up getting a retail release in the form of a bundle with Pac-Man Championship Edition 2, so they might be considering something similar here. (Maybe a Switch exclusive bundle with premium content for Pac-Man 99?)
6276403_sd.jpg

Eh, i'd imagine the Pac-Man IP is strong enough that they'll eventually do a physical release. Just not on day one.
The last Namco Museum ended up getting a retail release in the form of a bundle with Pac-Man Championship Edition 2, so they might be considering something similar here. (Maybe a Switch exclusive bundle with premium content for Pac-Man 99?)
6276403_sd.jpg
I'd buy that in a heartbeat. I waited until the Arcade Pac to get Namco Museum, too, so that would be extra good. Though I may be tempted to get this one digitally on launch...the struggle.

Release Date confirmed for May 27 (sadly, digital only)

Also, confirmed they made a legally distinct Ms. Pac-Man standee for the museum stuff lol
FMsdkexX0Ag13Q8

Is Pac-Mom an obscure character I never heard of? It's certainly a way to get around the Ms. Pac-Man complication, but I wonder if Jr. and Baby also faced the same issue.

Thank you for reading.

Release Date confirmed for May 27 (sadly, digital only)

Also, confirmed they made a legally distinct Ms. Pac-Man standee for the museum stuff lol
FMsdkexX0Ag13Q8

Finally, a release date! Very curious to see how the collection turns out in practice. Still want it for the Switch most of all, but I should note that, if I was reading the news correctly, it'll be out Day 1 on Game Pass, so do with that what you will.

...I'm not sure if "Pac-Mom" is better or worse of a name than "Ms. Pac-Man," but there ya go. There's our replacement...for better or for worse.
Is Pac-Mom an obscure character I never heard of? It's certainly a way to get around the Ms. Pac-Man complication, but I wonder if Jr. and Baby also faced the same issue.

Thank you for reading.
Far as I know, Pac-Mom is completely original, presumably invented to have Ms. Pac-Man as a decoration without actually having Ms. Pac-Man. Jr. and Baby seem to be unaffected, going by earlier trailers, but they're also not the ones in copyright limbo.

Whoever hold the rights to Ms. Pac-Man, please stop being an ass and give it back to Namco. We need Pac-man World trilogy remasters asap.

Also that arcade building side game needs to be online like Animal Crossing . I need to show off.

Whoever hold the rights to Ms. Pac-Man, please stop being an ass and give it back to Namco. We need Pac-man World trilogy remasters asap.

Also that arcade building side game needs to be online like Animal Crossing . I need to show off.
Last I checked AT games swindled into it

Ah I didn't realize we had a thread for this! I posted this in General...

I'm having an absolutely great monday morning

and yet I still want to falcon punch the person doing this voice over

Thank god we're back to the good pac man design but where the hell are the pac man worlds

Oh jesus right that's probably why we aren't getting world included in this :((( Who is the one holding it up? I'll go fight them

Oh jesus right that's probably why we aren't getting world included in this :((( Who is the one holding it up? I'll go fight them
AT Games, maker of that crappy Sega handhelds. I believe there's bad blood between them and Namco, they botched a TV plug in Pac-man release, now they won't give the rights Ms. Pac-man back to Namco.

Should note, as mentioned earlier in this thread, Ms. Pac-Man is present in some of the games in the compilation

Pac-In-Time, Pac-Land and I believe she had role in Pac 'n Roll story as well; And they are unaltered;

Her physical appearence in the Museum HUB is the one changed with the Pac-Mom disguise Bamco made up.

Should note, as mentioned earlier in this thread, Ms. Pac-Man is present in some of the games in the compilation

Pac-In-Time, Pac-Land and I believe she had role in Pac 'n Roll story as well; And they are unaltered;

Her physical appearence in the Museum HUB is the one changed with the Pac-Mom disguise Bamco made up.
The whole Ms Pac-Man situation is complicated as hell but from my understanding, Namco owns the character but royalty rights are still with AT Games. They can release past games but obviously Namco don't want AT Games to earn money off that. Explanation is here.

I'm very curious to see if they kept her exactly the same in those first two games. They don't name her so perhaps it'll be fine? And it isn't including the arcade game...It'll just be jarring having one original character chilling with everyone else, especially one named freaking "Pac-Mom"

Meanwhile for the third, she's "Pac-Girl", which may be enough. Though truth be told, I'm not sure how much of the story stuff they kept in Remix as opposed to the DS remake.

maybe pacman is dating somebody new and he has a type
Seems his type is "legally distinct maternal figures for his children."

...please, Bamco, pay At Games whatever they want, free Ms. Pac-Man from her purgatory.

I like pac mom's hat
Her hat is the best part of the design. Gloves are fine too. I kinda don't like the rest though? I wish the eyes matched the other Pac characters more, and I don't love her lips.

I know "Pac-Man with a bow and makeup" wasn't the most original, but I still find myself preferring the old Ms. Pac-Man.
since when is there a ghost called ezekiel Izike
If the rest of the trailer is anything to go by, where we see the color statue for Izike, it seems to be the name for the ghosts when they're under the effect of the Power Pellet. Probably an unlocalized Japanese name. Unless I missed something, of course!

also,... I don't to add any fuel to this fire, but the newest trailer gave us a better view of the 3D HUB, and indeed.. most, if not all, Pac's animaitons were straight redone from World series.. that's just mean lol

also,... I don't to add any fuel to this fire, but the newest trailer gave us a better view of the 3D HUB, and indeed.. most, if not all, Pac's animaitons were straight redone from World series.. that's just mean lol
Positive: Potential for a Pac-Man World 1 remake increases.

Negative: Ms. Pac-Man is replaced by Pac-Mom in the remake.

I've updated the OP with the release date trailer. Thank you @CyberWolfJV for posting it in the first place!
I can't in good conscience buy any Pac-Man collection that doesn't include Ms Pac-Man and Pac-Man Plus whatever the circumstances may be.
I totally get this perspective, but for me, there's enough games that were either not rereleased before or that haven't been rereleased in a long time that I'd consider the absence of Ms. Pac-Man not a dealbreaker.

...I'm also not the biggest Pac-Man Plus fan, but that's pretty subjective.

May, huh? That's a lot later than I was expecting.
With Pokemon, Kirby, and the 3DS/Wii U shutdowns (maybe Switch Sports too?), I'll take a late May release. I got lots of games to play first. I'm not even playing the zeitgeist game Elden Ring right now - even if I wanted to I don't have the time!

FYI, Pac-Mom is not the legally distinct version of Ms. Pac-Man. But an entirely separate character.
Pac-Marie is the actual replacement, she's been used since 2016, and was originally created for a merch store.
Pacstore-pacmarie2.png

They also replaced his son with the similarly legally distinct "Pac-Little".
Pacstore-paclittle2.png

FYI, Pac-Mom is not the legally distinct version of Ms. Pac-Man. But an entirely separate character.
Pac-Marie is the actual replacement, she's been used since 2016, and was originally created for a merch store.
Pacstore-pacmarie2.png

They also replaced his son with the similarly legally distinct "Pac-Little".
Pacstore-paclittle2.png
You know, Pac-Marie and Pac-Little were all over that cool merch (a shame that never came to the continental US), but they've never been in a game, right? Perhaps this is their moment. Or maybe Pac-Mom is the latest incarnation of the legally distinct replacements and Pac-Marie is left to the wayside. Unfortunate - I like Pac-Marie a lot more than Pac-Mom.

And hey, we know his son's okay. We've seen the statue of him in the first trailer. So what's up this time, Bamco?
Very cool but why no DX? This isn't on Switch yet right?
Yeah, DX isn't on Switch. PS4/5 either. Honestly I'd even take a standalone release of DX on Switch...

With Pokemon, Kirby, and the 3DS/Wii U shutdowns (maybe Switch Sports too?), I'll take a late May release. I got lots of games to play first. I'm not even playing the zeitgeist game Elden Ring right now - even if I wanted to I don't have the time!
You know what, when you say it like that, you're absolutely right.

I can't in good conscience buy any Pac-Man collection that doesn't include Ms Pac-Man and Pac-Man Plus whatever the circumstances may be.

You've said that twice now, but Namco literally doesn't have the rights to do that. I'm not sure what "conscience" has to do with it; there's no moral dilemma here. Despite not having developed it, I'm sure Namco would love to be able to include Ms. Pac-Man in their collections. Blame AtGames.

I wonder if ATGames cheap plug-n-plays would be that much less profitable if they gave up on the Ms. Pac-Man license back to Bamco.. they already have lots of other licenses (SEGA, Data East..), doubt everyone is rushing to get their devices just to play Ms. Pac-Man..

They probably want a Kings ransom for the rights to Ms. Pac-Man. That or they won't part with it no matter what. I don't see this situation being worked out for some time.

Yeah, I feel like Ms. Pac-Man is just...stuck for now. It's a popular game, AtGames won't just give the rights up. It's leverage. Leverage that wouldn't be there if Bamco just paid off the royalties to GCC like they should have, but alas.

Behold...the rare acknowledgement of Ms. Pac-Man from a modern-day official Japanese Bandai Namco account:

...it's using that kinda awkward redesign that pulls from the US Ms. Pac-Man cabinet colors, but there she is! She's here!

...so, uh, what's up with Pac-Mom then, lol.

Behold...the rare acknowledgement of Ms. Pac-Man from a modern-day official Japanese Bandai Namco account:

...it's using that kinda awkward redesign that pulls from the US Ms. Pac-Man cabinet colors, but there she is! She's here!

They can acknowledge it alright. They own the name and the copyright after all. They just don't want people at AT Games to get loyalties from every game they sell involving Ms Pac-man.

They can acknowledge it alright. They own the name and the copyright after all. They just don't want people at AT Games to get loyalties from every game they sell involving Ms Pac-man.
But if Ms. Pac-Man is, like...already in some of the games in the collection, why do we need a Pac-Mom replacement statue?

Like I get not having the arcade game Ms. Pac-Man, but the character could surely appear, unless there's some ban with new assets of Ms. Pac that's never been properly explained? What's with Pac-Mom?

Huh, awkward re-design? This is exactly how my brain thinks she looks, what am I missing? There’s a super high chance I’m being very dumb.

But if Ms. Pac-Man is, like...already in some of the games in the collection, why do we need a Pac-Mom replacement statue?

Like I get not having the arcade game Ms. Pac-Man, but the character could surely appear, unless there's some ban with new assets of Ms. Pac that's never been properly explained? What's with Pac-Mom?
We don't know what are the prerequisites for the loyalties they'd get. Obviously putting a statue or having the straight Ms. Pac-Man games would earn them money off this release. But not those games where Ms. Pac-man makes small appearance. As that ArsTechnica article put out, this is a very complicated situation and makes almost no sense.

Huh, awkward re-design? This is exactly how my brain thinks she looks, what am I missing? There’s a super high chance I’m being very dumb.
She's been recolored and slightly redesigned - Namco depictions of Ms. Pac used to have colors similar to Pac-Man, with long boots. The new design tries to split the difference between the classic Pac-Man art style and the art of Ms. Pac from the US arcade marquee, and I don't like it as much. I get why they made the change though, it's a matter of preference.

For reference...

ms-pacman_marquee_23x9-scaled.jpg

Note that she has pink gloves on the side art of the machine.

Compared to...

EVcdTrUXYAAgS9e.jpg

I prefer the new art they posted tbh. I'm surprised they didn't replace the boots with sneakers like the green M&M.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom