• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Octopath Traveler II |ST| Boosted Journey Day & Night

Xenoblade 3? Harvestella is a really good rpg with farming elements and great side quests. It has a demo.

I enjoyed the demo for Live a Live. I haven't played it yet, so can't say.

Have you played Bravely Default 2?

Played both xenoblade 3 and bravely default 2… haven’t tried harvestella yet

Having played some Chapter 3’s I think Agnea has probably the worst story so far to the point that I don’t even care for her story anymore. I will finish it but the other stories are a lot more interesting.

I already liked Agnea's Theme, but holy cow this boss music has been stuck in my head all day, it might be my favorite track in the game so far? How is it so good?!

Having played some Chapter 3’s I think Agnea has probably the worst story so far to the point that I don’t even care for her story anymore. I will finish it but the other stories are a lot more interesting.
I found her story to be the weakest as well, but I will say that her final chapter salvages it quite a bit IMO. It's really well done.

And that how we got blessed by the best theme

N7jPq1l.png

Had such a satisfying moment during Hikari’s finale!

Scraped my way to the last phase and got wiped just before I could wrap it up. Took a look over my skills and realized that Rest — a skill I have basically never needed to use until this point — pairs incredibly well with the Arcanist job, which is how Partitio was already set up! Absolutely breezed through it the next time. Hikari’s was my fave ending so far (and my initial character!).

Had such a satisfying moment during Hikari’s finale!

Scraped my way to the last phase and got wiped just before I could wrap it up. Took a look over my skills and realized that Rest — a skill I have basically never needed to use until this point — pairs incredibly well with the Arcanist job, which is how Partitio was already set up! Absolutely breezed through it the next time. Hikari’s was my fave ending so far (and my initial character!).

I agree I always go with warrior first. It’s my go to.

Finished five of the last chapters now. I have no idea how much ‘postgame’ there is, but I’m eager to start linking things together!

And I see what people mean about Thrones finale:
I actually kind of like that as a twist and a setup for a villain, but it felt a bit too… abrupt? I think it would’ve been stronger with a bit more foreshadowing or hints or something.

In the last week I nearly finished it. Unless something majorly messed up happens at the end, this is Mario Odyssey tier.

My only complaint about this is
seeing idiots on twitter keep posting about sales numbers IDGAF

Also Nishiki the goat.

Currently able to do 50-60k damage on a turn with Hikari with minimal setup. Methinks he might be a tad bit broken.

Playing with no subjubs for some characters because of the outfits. This game really should receive and update to pick the fashion look

If one of your unit already has an offensive stat at 999, does applying a buff on said stat still do something?

Quick question about the endgame because I’m starting to feel the heat in finishing this before it’s due back at the library: how long is the epilogue once you finish everyone’s tale, and about what level should I be for it?

Quick question about the endgame because I’m starting to feel the heat in finishing this before it’s due back at the library: how long is the epilogue once you finish everyone’s tale, and about what level should I be for it?
It's actually really fast, like 1- 2 hours (there's a lot of story and there is no final dungeon, you revisit 3 temples and a couple of boss fights) and the fight with the final boss. For levels as long as they are well equipped and have good monsters for ochette and abilities learnd from Hikari, and have good sinnergy with the team primary and secondary jobs (you are going to use all of the characters in the final battle) around 50 should be okay, 60 if you need more life / sp for some characters.

It's actually really fast, like 1- 2 hours (there's a lot of story and there is no final dungeon, you revisit 3 temples and a couple of boss fights) and the fight with the final boss. For levels as long as they are well equipped and have good monsters for ochette and abilities learnd from Hikari, and have good sinnergy with the team primary and secondary jobs (you are going to use all of the characters in the final battle) around 50 should be okay, 60 if you need more life / sp for some characters.
Thank you for the reply! OK, I am feeling a lot better about being able to finish this week then. I have been using 3 members for most of the game and swapping out the 4th when necessary to advance the story, so my team is already ~Lv60 with two final chapters to go! Sounds like if I do a little gear lap and spendathon before the epilogue I should be alright 👌

Thank you for the reply! OK, I am feeling a lot better about being able to finish this week then. I have been using 3 members for most of the game and swapping out the 4th when necessary to advance the story, so my team is already ~Lv60 with two final chapters to go! Sounds like if I do a little gear lap and spendathon before the epilogue I should be alright 👌
yeah, worst case just use merchant hire help at max level with the soliders or the assasins at the final boss, at that point you don't really use money for anything else

Finished all 8 stories and crossed paths now. Probably not a whole lot left, although I have a fair few sidequests still not done.

One cool thing that took me way too long to realize about the character’s stories and their antagonists:

Every main antagonist of everyone’s main plot arc is an evil, or at least twisted/selfish, version of themself/their class. You’re basically fighting against what can happen when your job classes aren’t used for good and get corrupted.

The one exception being Ochette, I guess, but since you fight her corrupted companion animal it still mostly fits.

That’s a cool idea and thematic link for all the stories.

And with Osvald and Ochette down, I'm halfway through the stories now. I can't wait to get to the rest of them.

Okay, now that I'm done with the 8 Paths, I have to rank them:

• Best Theme Music: Has to be Partitio. The sax cannot be beat. Honorable mention to Agnea for the excellent fiddle.
  • Best Overall Path: Cassti or Temenos, I can't decide. Both were very good. Honorable mention to Osvald.
  • Best Finale/final boss: Somehow... Agnea?! She's probably my overall least favorite path, but her finale was incredible. Although I'm probably bumping it up a lot of points for Song of Hope alone (which is STILL stuck in my head days later)

Okay, now that I'm done with the 8 Paths, I have to rank them:

• Best Theme Music: Has to be Partitio. The sax cannot be beat. Honorable mention to Agnea for the excellent fiddle.
  • Best Overall Path: Cassti or Temenos, I can't decide. Both were very good. Honorable mention to Osvald.
  • Best Finale/final boss: Somehow... Agnea?! She's probably my overall least favorite path, but her finale was incredible. Although I'm probably bumping it up a lot of points for Song of Hope alone (which is STILL stuck in my head days later)
Glory to the sax, and yeah, that's pretty much my ranking too with Cassti in second plance and Temenos in 4th

Glory to the sax, and yeah, that's pretty much my ranking too with Cassti in second plance and Temenos in 4th
Ooh, story comparisons!

I loved them all but I think my ranking would be-

Castii
Temenos
Partitio

Hikari
Oswald
Throne

Ochette
Agnea

The first three I found to be really interesting takes on characters. Castii is one of my favourite characters in any JRPG, her no-nonsense drive isn’t just some saintly self-sacrificing healer, she’s pretty grounded in being reasonable and practical too. For a character who isn’t one of those with a ‘follow me’ skill, she’s a natural leader, and it’s cool that her chapter 2 flags this up before chapter 3 explains why.

Partitio is so weird but so upbeat and engaging too. It’s almost weird he’s in a job role where he pays people to work for him when he’s one of the most inspiring characters. I like the way Castii teases him in some of the travel banter.

Temenos I found interesting to dig into, as his initial out-there smugness has real depths of gentility and guidance. He’d be a great character in a murder mystery show, that’s what he reminded me of, a sort of weird cleric/detective. Him and Crick were my favourite double act (closely followed by Castii and the warrior she gets on with in chapter 2).

I think I put Ochette and Agnea at the bottom as there wasn’t a lot of intrigue really, just straight ‘go here, do that’, with Ochette
not even meeting the Dark Hunter and it being resolved in a cut scene in the endgame. I get that most of the characters are up against a dark mirror so they thought the companion you didn’t pick was more poignant, but it would have been cool to find out a bit more about the why of what the Dark Hunter was actually up to outside of evil ritual blah blah blah.
I still enjoyed their stories though. I particularly liked Agnea’s supporting cast, as it was a very different story to the others and offered something light-hearted amidst all the death and murder and corruption, but I think I liked it for that contrast it offered rather than finding their story interesting.

Last edited:
How can you overcome the Guard in Montwise to obtain Last Gasp? Despite my best efforts, his health pool is simply too large. To take on the
Deep One
, I must have this skill.

Go give it a yeah in the rpg vote thread (along with anything else you like) :)
Already had it done. I think a lot of folks here are enjoying and know about Octopath II now. Maybe I should make a thread about why Monster Hunter Stories 2 is one of the best RPGs and a must play for Pokemon fans as well.

Already had it done. I think a lot of folks here are enjoying and know about Octopath II now. Maybe I should make a thread about why Monster Hunter Stories 2 is one of the best RPGs and a must play for Pokemon fans as well.
Such a good rpg. I think MHS2 has legit got a fantastic combat system.

Such a good rpg. I think MHS2 has legit got a fantastic combat system.

Such a gem of a game. Felt like a AAA PS2 era RPG. I only regret missing the collector's edition. I double dipped (and got digital + physical on Switch).

I need something on Switch to fill my Octopath Void and MHS 2 is half off at the moment…will investigate

If you aren't sold on it yet, try the demo to see how you feel. Oh and you don't need any DLC in the game. It is all cosmetic fluff.

I may have overprepared for the Deep One boss at the bottom of the ravine. I brought my A-team and was all ready for a tough fight and then I basically two-shotted it once broken, lol.

Nearly every attempts at the super boss is getting closer to a victory.

I had him in red for the first time, only to both run out of Castii's ingredient that gives you BP (learned my lesson, I bought much more now) and money (gotta manage Partitio's money skills more carefully).

And that’s it, rolled credits! Excellent game, and the final boss unique gimmick was very cool.

The elements and characters connecting all the stories weren’t quite what I expected, but it seems like they weren’t really intending you to figure any of that out (at least I sure didn’t) before the big reveals. I like that it explained a lot of the things that seemed out of place (mostly what the hell was up with Claude and his entire deal).

Great game that I hope keeps selling with good WoM. I don’t think it’ll be my GOTY by year’s end, with too many other games competing for that slot (and I had some nitpicks), but I can 100% say that the soundtrack is going to be tough to beat out for my OST of the year.

Finished Throné's story tonight (which.... yeah, okay), only have Hikari left before I move on to the crossed paths and the end.

I gotta say, I really like how each character's theme gets woven into the boss music for their final chapter (except Agnea who just gets an amazing boss theme herself). My favorite has been Partitio's and Temenos' versions.

Finished Throné's story tonight (which.... yeah, okay), only have Hikari left before I move on to the crossed paths and the end.

I gotta say, I really like how each character's theme gets woven into the boss music for their final chapter (except Agnea who just gets an amazing boss theme herself). My favorite has been Partitio's and Temenos' versions.
I’m a little salty that I killed Partitio’s boss so hard that once he transitioned into the form with different music he did one move and instantly died so I didn’t get to hear it :(

I’m a little salty that I killed Partitio’s boss so hard that once he transitioned into the form with different music he did one move and instantly died so I didn’t get to hear it :(
That's an issue I ran into for Ochette's boss lmao.

But hey, that's what my copy of the soundtrack is for!

And that’s it, rolled credits! Excellent game, and the final boss unique gimmick was very cool.

The elements and characters connecting all the stories weren’t quite what I expected, but it seems like they weren’t really intending you to figure any of that out (at least I sure didn’t) before the big reveals. I like that it explained a lot of the things that seemed out of place (mostly what the hell was up with Claude and his entire deal).

Great game that I hope keeps selling with good WoM. I don’t think it’ll be my GOTY by year’s end, with too many other games competing for that slot (and I had some nitpicks), but I can 100% say that the soundtrack is going to be tough to beat out for my OST of the year.
Just out of interest,
what did you think was going on with Claude? What was he? I’m still not sure I understand.

What were your nitpicks out of curiousity? Spoiler tag if needed. My friend is giving me some tips on the final bits. I should be done by weekend.

Just out of interest,
what did you think was going on with Claude? What was he? I’m still not sure I understand.
Here, this should answer your questions. I'm assuming you're looking for the first paragraph in the "history" section. Correct? In short: Vide's blood gave him immortality.

What were your nitpicks out of curiousity? Spoiler tag if needed. My friend is giving me some tips on the final bits. I should be done by weekend.
They’re mostly gameplay related, not story or spoilers. Basically, similar to the first game, I wish there were more jobs, more ability customization, and better pacing with unlocking things. Early on, it feels good to unlock and try out new abilities and new skills, and then when you unlock secondary jobs you get the fun of mixing and matching things, and that’s great! My issue is that by the end of Chapter 2s/start of Chapter 3s I had unlocked pretty much everything I wanted to and basically ran out of “new” stuff to do and character mechanical progression screeches to a halt. There are of course a few hidden jobs that spice things up again but they come very late (like level 45-50) and there’s not as much as I’d like, and it leaves a huge chunk of the game where there’s not mechanical tinkering to be done. And it feels like around Chapter 3s JP becomes pretty much pointless since you have enough on everyone to always buy whatever you want, which takes a lot of the shine off.I really like having long term builds and things to work toward.

I think I just prefer how Bravely Default 2 does it, where you’re constantly gaining new jobs and new toys to play with and new fun ways to bend the game systems and completely change how you approach combat throughout the entire game. I prefer that level of customization and “mechanical tinkering” for lack of a better phrase.

Real talk: I took like 300 captures while playing through this game 😄 It's been fun going through them and keeping the OctoVoid filled. Hacked everyone's Fin illustration together:

BBUlOBS.png

Back
Top Bottom