• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Octopath Traveler II |ST| Boosted Journey Day & Night

Yep. Don't want to sound like a broken record... but absolutely yes to all of this.

-To me the trope-y voyeur-ish part feels more relevant when talking about Throné's first story-half, with the whipping and all the rest; whereas with Calude I'd say the whole thing is unsettling and a bit glossed over in general, like, I'm genuinely curious as to what is supposed to happen to the women that give birth, are they killed or what, turned into vessels? In general the writers always go for that grimdark which coupled with trope-y female portrayals of its ilk result into... that? Honestly I feel like I'm not equipped well-enough to address in full this point, as such I can't give much insight on it, and I try to look only at the rest of what's there (i.e. Throné's own journey)
- Haven't had too much time sit on my thoughts but it does feel a tad rushed, though I don't know how I'd address the issue personally. Patrichor, or whatever her name is, specifically doesn't get much screen time, but does she need it? Maybe yes as I already forgot why she joined Arcanette in the first place lol (was she seduced by her as well?), but personally I like having some figures come out of nowhere. You get to realize that it's her actions that scarred so badly the body of the animal companion you rejected, and to see why its mouth was drenched in blood (yuck) well after you had figured out that these are things that happened to it.
I am a bit mixed on Ori though. Was her inclusion in the broader narrative the right choice? And was saving her after she tries to sacrifice herself the right move? I guess yeah, it happens due to Partitio's influence, though it does leaves me a bit cold, the whole thing felt a tad too melodramatic. I don't know, it's still a fun twist I'll give them that.
-So as you know from the previous part of my post I was personally satisfied with the links already present, mostly because I feel like having more, likely ham-fisted ones, wouldn't necessarily help the characters' singular narratives... that said! Don't know if you've noticed but, thanks to reddit users pointing this stuff out, we also know that
  • The words Roy, Temenos's friend, says to the cleric, in his chapter 3 flashback, are the exact same Ochette's chapter 1 boss (the cursed beast) says, meaning that is most definitely Roy in the flesh! Poor guy.
  • Ori and Clarissa are present in Osvald's courthouse flashback
  • A more inconsequential but fun detail: Malaya appears in Partitio's chapter 1 (prior to her death)
All of this stuff is hard to notice on a first playthrough and I kind of love it honestly.
-Agree on the gear swapping. I don't think having all of the 8 characters' equipment always at the player's disposal would be cumbersome in any way; feels like an easy fix and a leftover from the previous game, though it very much is a minor nuisance.

If I am to "complain" about something then I have to change my stance on puzzles, I think the game could actually have them, though not many. Add a few of them sprinkled throughout the travelers' stories and the side-content and they'd positively add to the game. I'd still want them to be approachable and bite-sized, so as to keep in touch with the general pick-up and play nature of the series, which is how Octopath was first conceived in the first place (and probably one of the reasons why I find it so enjoyable)

Moreover for the next game (please be a thing that happens),
don't repeat the same plot for a third time in a row ;P. I know you specifically haven't played 1 but crikey are they structured similarly, it almost feels deliberately done? I understand it's probably the story set-up that made the most sense when they made 1, but having evil cult spearheaded by charismatic bewitching figure (well, this time more than one I guess) pulling the strings to awaken an evil God is gonna get old if they do it again. The "man turned beast" thing they pulled in OT2 was also lifted from 1, where it even was a touch cooler, and just as subtle too. I bet 99% of the players didn't even notice. (I sure didn't without stumbling upon it on the internet)

Oof this is a long post, but the game deserves it!
Food for thought, thanks for that! Particularly the connections I hadn’t noticed- I suppose the idea is that it all makes sense in flashback and you aren’t supposed to notice at the time as there’s so much going on.

I am defo going to play the first one at some point but will give it a while first to let this one sink in.

Food for thought, thanks for that! Particularly the connections I hadn’t noticed- I suppose the idea is that it all makes sense in flashback and you aren’t supposed to notice at the time as there’s so much going on.

I am defo going to play the first one at some point but will give it a while first to let this one sink in.
Yeah due to the way the game is structured it's just difficult to pick up on everything at first. I also noticed after playing Clarissa's postgame story that maybe Cohaze was influenced by something related to Vide as well? Haven't seen anybody bring it up and I played her side-mission a couple of days ago (so I already forgot the details), but I'm 90% sure that when they're talking to each other in the forest they have some subtle lines about something influencing her behavior. So again, smaller things that go a long way.

If you loved 2 you're definitely the player I'd recommend 1 to. You'll find lots to love about it as well, ignoring that it is probably worse in every way, bar maybe the OST? (I have to listen to 2's way more before I make that call). Though yep, give yourself some time, 2 to 1 back to back is probably not the best idea.

Hello good people. Today I have found the armsmaster job.

I gave it to Hikari.

Bosses no longer survive past turn 5.

I fear they are planning a strike.

Working my way through the chapter 3s now, just finished Hikari’s. Hot damn. Can’t to see how that wraps up!

Decided to explore the sea, spent 3+ hours discovering every island, secrets, super bosses and getting rewarded with insane amazing weapons, armour and stuff. It's so addicting lol.

Also, I discovered an island that had a maze and instantly reminded me of Botw. What's funny is that I unlocked a secret job without realising it lmao. Arcanist seems to be pretty nutty.

Also, Throne with warrior job is so busted. With 2 extra turns thanks to Temonos divine skill and Throne's talent skill, I just spam Amber theif skill with buffs and debuffs and dish out multiple 30k+ DMG.

I absolutely love this game lol.

Anyone seen YouTube uploads of the collectors edition bonus Cd With extended tracks?
Even some of the main soundtrack CD uploads have been taken down, so I wouldn't hold my breath on seeing them on YouTube.

I assume someone will put them on Soundcloud eventually.

Even some of the main soundtrack CD uploads have been taken down, so I wouldn't hold my breath on seeing them on YouTube.

I assume someone will put them on Soundcloud eventually.
Ok thanks. I don't need the main soundtrack as I bought it already, but this Extended Tracks thing I'm curious about. I wish it was in the main album or is on iTunes soon.

Finished now Partitio and Agnea story, I cried on both of them. Also Partitio pretty much saved the world economy

And agin Cassti confirmed the best banter
Hikari "let us drink some alcohol"
Cassti "yes"
Agnea "I didn't knew you like to drink too Cassti"
Cassti "Everything with moderation" proceeds to get drunk

I was thinking about how all the cast has names that are slightly off-normal, except maybe Hikari (I don't speak Japanese so don't know if this is actually a legit Japanese name) and kinda Osvald.

Then I remembered that Osvald's antagonist's name is Harvey

Harvey Osvald. Or, with as slight change, Harvey Oswald

Goddammit Octopath Localizers

(If this reveals something deeper about Osvald's story don't spoil it, I've only done his intro chapters)

I was thinking about how all the cast has names that are slightly off-normal, except maybe Hikari (I don't speak Japanese so don't know if this is actually a legit Japanese name) and kinda Osvald.

Then I remembered that Osvald's antagonist's name is Harvey

Harvey Osvald. Or, with as slight change, Harvey Oswald

Goddammit Octopath Localizers

(If this reveals something deeper about Osvald's story don't spoil it, I've only done his intro chapters)
Hikari is a real Japanese name, yeah. Osvald I think is just the scandinavian spelling?

If the Harvey/Osvald thing is intentional, I don't think it's a localization thing though, their names are already Osvald (オズバルド) and Harvey (ハーベイ) in Japanese.

Fun fact about the names though, as with the first game, the names of the protagonists spell out OCTOPATH (Osvald, Castti, Temenos, Ochette, Partitio, Agnea, Throné, Hikari).

And the names of the main antagonists of each route spell OCTOPATH backwards if you use the same order as the protagonists: Harvey, Trousseau, Arcanette, Petrichor, Ori, Tanzy, Claude, Oboro. Which tracks with the whole aspect of doing rituals in reverse to get opposite effects.

Hikari is a real Japanese name, yeah. Osvald I think is just the scandinavian spelling?

If the Harvey/Osvald thing is intentional, I don't think it's a localization thing though, their names are already Osvald (オズバルド) and Harvey (ハーベイ) in Japanese.
Oh, thanks for the info and corrections

Ahem,

Goddammit Octopath Writers

Just began and did chapter 1 for hikari and castti, and currently playing ochette begining.
The game is beautiful, music is incredible. It's a gem.

Fun fact about the names though, as with the first game, the names of the protagonists spell out OCTOPATH (Osvald, Castti, Temenos, Ochette, Partitio, Agnea, Throné, Hikari).

And the names of the main antagonists of each route spell OCTOPATH backwards if you use the same order as the protagonists: Harvey, Trousseau, Arcanette, Petrichor, Ori, Tanzy, Claude, Oboro. Which tracks with the whole aspect of doing rituals in reverse to get opposite effects.
Wowser, that’s interesting.

I can tell I’m more up on pop culture than US history when my first thought on seeing Harvey/Oswald was Batman villains (Harvey Dent, Oswald Cobblepot). I don’t even read Batman, I’ve just absorbed it through osmosis due to the films over the years :D

Last edited:
3 more chapter 4s to go!

That's me too! Finished yesterday Castti and Ochette. So it just know Temenos, Osvald and Throné.

Also some of the sidequest goes really to some places
  • The courthouse drama, its Ace Attorney levels ,didn't expect how it ended
  • The cursed box, and when you learn the backstory 👻
And most important, the
spooky stuffed toy which it isn't marked a sidequest perse but holy shit, when I was returning to the town and saw the kid walking in the area blew my mind. Now I'm really paranoic and wait outside all towns to see if anything happens.

Just started the games this week, 15 hours in, still on chapters 1 (4) and the leap is clear to me, in terms of basically everything. Square Enix made me order the collector's edition from their site, Please help me

I see these past few days there have been more people starting out. That's just wonderful, enjoy the journey!

As an aside, I've been listening to the OST with headphones on and it now definitely has me going back and forth on its quality. Can't choose between OT2 and 1 - my precious babies.

I see these past few days there have been more people starting out. That's just wonderful, enjoy the journey!

As an aside, I've been listening to the OST with headphones on and it now definitely has me going back and forth on its quality. Can't choose between OT2 and 1 - my precious babies.
I finished it a week ago now and I still can’t stop thinking about the game or the soundtrack. I don’t know, it’s just like… a complete thing. The game was excellent across the board, its characters, combat, music, exploration, the choice of what to tackle next, the way it gently suggests what might be a good thing to try or a bit too tough but doesn’t force you or stop you either way. Didn’t outstay its welcome either. It’s just left me feeling positive about the game and the hobby, I enjoyed it so much.

I finished it a week ago now and I still can’t stop thinking about the game or the soundtrack. I don’t know, it’s just like… a complete thing. The game was excellent across the board, its characters, combat, music, exploration, the choice of what to tackle next, the way it gently suggests what might be a good thing to try or a bit too tough but doesn’t force you or stop you either way. Didn’t outstay its welcome either. It’s just left me feeling positive about the game and the hobby, I enjoyed it so much.
Best track and you know it: partitio theme
When the sax goes on:

3hmk78b.gif

The difficulty spike in the tower of Ku to unlock a special class wass kinda weird

Boss 1: very easy
Boss 2: Da Fuq (killed me once)
Boss 3: hard, but there are a lot of strategies to cheese it
Boss 4: very very easy, never had the chance to attack me
Boss 5: Quadruple Da Fuq. killed me three time before I just decided to throw the towel and pay to win with Partitio

The difficulty spike in the tower of Ku to unlock a special class wass kinda weird

Boss 1: very easy
Boss 2: Da Fuq (killed me once)
Boss 3: hard, but there are a lot of strategies to cheese it
Boss 4: very very easy, never had the chance to attack me
Boss 5: Quadruple Da Fuq. killed me three time before I just decided to throw the towel and pay to win with Partitio
I just completed it first try with the almighty strategy of "Armsmaster Hikari uses his axe skill to brute force the boss while the rest of the team keep him alive"

It took like, 30 minutes, but it worked!

I don’t think I will ever get tired of beating up townspeople and telling them they have a lot to learn as I step over their body and loot their house

I don’t think I will ever get tired of beating up townspeople and telling them they have a lot to learn as I step over their body and loot their house
I would say there's even something therapeutic about doing it. I wouldn mind if they made the entire game just with this mechanicn

Finally back home and get to get back to this game today! I'm nearing some Chapter 4s, and I'm eager to see what some of these hidden jobs are all about.

“You need to learn to respect life more. Both your own, and others. You were ready to throw it away over what, honor? You can’t even eat that!”

Ochette rules

Wrapping up Chapter 3s and starting in on Chapter 4s now. Any particular equipment you’d recommend I track down? Still making steady progress but want to keep up with the curve; some of the more recent bosses have been pretty tricky! Just got the ship so I guess I should poke around at sea as well 🌊

Wrapping up Chapter 3s and starting in on Chapter 4s now. Any particular equipment you’d recommend I track down? Still making steady progress but want to keep up with the curve; some of the more recent bosses have been pretty tricky! Just got the ship so I guess I should poke around at sea as well 🌊
The sea is tough at first but easy enough to take little small pokes at here and there, and it has some great loot in it just out in the open, definitely worth it!

Working through the final chapters for each traveler now, and Jesus Christ:
Four boss battles in a row lol.

Some of those late game accesories are really game breaking, the stone of truth makes Osvald / Temenos a magic machine with double casts

Working through the final chapters for each traveler now, and Jesus Christ:
Four boss battles in a row lol.
At least you can save between the first two :') I did it as my first final chapter, and the last of the four took me four tries to beat. It was SO demotivating having to redo two of the bosses every time, especially since you can't skip any of the dialogue during the second one.

Finished Osvald's chapter 4 and Temenos' chapter 3 (both parts now done). All I gotta say is:

Fuck Kaldena and fuck Harvey.

Finished 4/8 stories, with all secret jobs obtained and most side dungeons done (I think?). Still, there is so much.

It's a good thing the quality match the quantity in this game.

Does anyone know if the side dungeons have the slight level scaling the connective areas do? Could have sworn the clock tower in Clockbank wasn't danger level 44 when I found it but I could just be forgetting.

Does anyone know if the side dungeons have the slight level scaling the connective areas do? Could have sworn the clock tower in Clockbank wasn't danger level 44 when I found it but I could just be forgetting.
I don't think they do, as far as I recall the Clock tower is always 44, I just did it a few days ago.

I don't think they do, as far as I recall the Clock tower is always 44, I just did it a few days ago.
Well no wonder I got my ass kicked the first time I went there.😅 (Party was in the low 30s, gear wasn't great, didn't have Armsmaster)

Well no wonder I got my ass kicked the first time I went there.😅 (Party was in the low 30s, gear wasn't great, didn't have Armsmaster)
Yeah dungeons don't scale,, which is also good when trying to level the others as you can jump from 10 to 30 in less than 10 min

Still reeling from Temenos's third chapter.

Also Arcanist Partitio is so good, holy shit. PARTY-WIDE SIDESTEP AND REST FOR DAYS

Do you have the Sun Shield? It restores HP after every action.

Located in Merry Hills Pass.

Dragon's Scarf for SP restore after every action.

If you have finished Partitio chapter 3, you can buy it at the department store in Wellgrove

Back
Top Bottom