• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion NVIDIA employee confirms existence of rumoured Switch 2 SoC

Re: backwards compatibility; if we trust what’s been said about it being a ‘Switch’, since mid 2021 (?), it’s reasonable to assume they’ll have sorted backwards compatibility. For once I’m not really worried.
Frankly no one should have been worried or even pushing the idea that Nintendo wasn’t going to do BC. A decent chunk of their history has bent over backwards for that, when able, to the detriment of some of their systems. This is even more true after multiple statements by Nintendo’s CEO on the subject & the digital world we live in.

Can somebody explain to me in simpler terms what this means (sorry not tech savvy)?

200w.gif

Better than XB1S and PS4 base undocked. PS4 Pro/~XSS docked. Is how it was explained to me. (In all cases BEFORE DLSS is taken into consideration).
~XSS docked is probably after DLSS.

It's an interesting comparison, might end up with better IQ than Series S but at 'lower' settings. At least for some cross-gen games.

~XSS docked is probably after DLSS.

It's an interesting comparison, might end up with better IQ than Series S but at 'lower' settings. At least for some cross-gen games.
Nah I'd say closer to maybe 2/3 or 3/4 XSS at the very most. The CPU won't compare too well, even if the GPU with DLSS might.

Nah I'd say closer to maybe 2/3 or 3/4 XSS at the very most. The CPU won't compare too well, even if the GPU with DLSS might.
I had intended that with the ~ but did a poor job. It is definitely <XSS.

Better than XB1S and PS4 base undocked. PS4 Pro/~XSS docked. Is how it was explained to me. (In all cases BEFORE DLSS is taken into consideration).

This sounds quite promising… I’m Content with graphics on Switch now but I would honestly be excited for better specs just to see what they can do with the extra power. That would hopefully mean more ports from third party to!

if i go the entirety of 2022 without the new Switch after skipping the Pokemon OLED I am gonna be peeved

In all likelihood this new hardware won't be out in this fiscal year, April 2023 and onward is a safer bet.
I’m not sure there’s a lot of evidence to support that. Nintendo hasn’t made a statement on new hardware this fiscal year either way, and it looks like they might fall short of their shipment forecast if they don’t have something big in Q1.

according to the Gamers they are
no, it's pretty well known that Jaguar isn't a very good cpu. it wasn't great when it first came out either. it also wasn't intended to be an 8-core, so it's a very bespoke unit. this was because AMD's actual 8-core cpus, the bulldozer line at time, if I remember correctly, was also very not good

no, it's pretty well known that Jaguar isn't a very good cpu. it wasn't great when it first came out either. it also wasn't intended to be an 8-core, so it's a very bespoke unit. this was because AMD's actual 8-core cpus, the bulldozer line at time, if I remember correctly, was also very not good
yeah but it still lead to some pretty games. seeing them get called potato quality was wild.

I’m just ready for this thing to be announced. I’ve been there for hardware discussions leading up to Wii, Wii U, and Switch. For some reason this one feels so much more drawn out than those.

Bulldozer isn’t even a real 8-core CPU. It’s 2 quad core CPUs “glued” together. It has lots of latency problems

A portable PS4 + additional DSLL juice seems pretty good to me.

It also bodes well for third party support considering cross-gen games won't go away any time soon from how things are looking.

I keep seeing this. They were weird under Iwata imo. God bless him. Under new management they are pretty normal now.
As I see it (am often wrong), we haven't yet seen a console that was fully conceived and developed in the post-Iwata era. Are we certain they can't still be weird? Is weirdness linked to the good innovations they create?

As I see it (am often wrong), we haven't yet seen a console that was fully conceived and developed in the post-Iwata era. Are we certain they can't still be weird? Is weirdness linked to the good innovations they create?

Dunno, i think the Nintendo board / Furukawa keeps things smart right now, promoted the creatives into better positions, lets Miyamoto do whatever the fuck he wants and (from what i could see) not meddling with the process.

Though if Drake has some of that Furukawa / maybe even Kimi DNA in it with that "use more state of the art stuff but still stay out of the home console powercreep" then i do say i think they have a good way going forward.

Dunno, i think the Nintendo board / Furukawa keeps things smart right now, promoted the creatives into better positions, lets Miyamoto do whatever the fuck he wants and (from what i could see) not meddling with the process.

Though if Drake has some of that Furukawa / maybe even Kimi DNA in it with that "use more state of the art stuff but still stay out of the home console powercreep" then i do say i think they have a good way going forward.
That's what it looks like but we don't really know until the next console gets revealed. Whatever decisions they've made there, in terms of wacky features and performance levels, will impact their whole next gen. I'm hoping they play it pretty safe too.

This is still Iwata's doing. He talk up this stuff before the Switch reveal.

True the proof of how much they’ve normalized will be more visible by their next console. But you could see the beginnings of the lockstep with industry back when Kimishima took over.

They were going in a pretty whacky direction in 2014 with that capsule shaped screen with two sticks poking out, codename: Switch. Seems like Iwata was still in charge when that got abandoned though.

I don’t see any whacky features coming
I don’t think we’ll see, like, a crank, but I’m sure we’ll see some new-to-Switch features like cameras and mics that will be used in all sorts of wacky ways in stinky horse games and the like

I’m just ready for this thing to be announced. I’ve been there for hardware discussions leading up to Wii, Wii U, and Switch. For some reason this one feels so much more drawn out than those.
Yeah...feels so. Maybe the pandemic and even more sitting in front of the pc, maybe the point that people are forever speculating on specific SOCs and we all expect it to look just like a switch, but stronger.
Brior it was also: what will they change, new controlls, etc.

Then consoles (not handheld) seemed to have less interations with changed hardware. GC had none, Wii had the cheap variant nobody wanted, and Wii U had...nothing.
Also, nintendo seems to be more secretive/better at keeping stuff under cover, and we moved from having hardware anounced 18 months prior to 3-6 months being enough semingly.
if it releases in april, by the old schedule it should have been anounced last fall/winter...

Wii had the cheap variant nobody wanted
speak for yourself, pal

i’ll have you know that i’m a proud owner of a wii mini that i mostly bought for the remote and the red nunchuck which wasn’t otherwise available in the US outside of a limited edition mario bundle

Please, DLSS is whacky, black magic and actual voodoo.
Only wacky feature switch 2 needs is one that’ll make me play it in portable mode more. My switch stays docked always unless
Kimishima was an interim leader who had no goals but to see out the plan Iwata laid out.
Yes. However I can’t shake the feeling that the last 5 years might’ve turned out differently if Iwata was still around

Had been thinking about release pacing for Nintendo home consoles (handhelds were much less on a rhythm):

NES-SNES: 7 years
SNES-N64: 6 years
N64-GCN: 5 years
GCN-Wii: 5 years
Wii-Wii U: 6 years
Wii U-NSW: 5 years
NSW-NSW (2023): 6 years. 😏

Re: Switch 2: I've been very happy with Splatoon 3's graphical performance, but it's one of the few recent Switch games that look and run like they should. Switch's main drawbacks are framerate and resolution to me, both of which Switch 2 will likely solve and then some. (Until they start porting UE5 stuff over and we'll be back in Blurry Town =P .)

I don’t see any whacky features coming
You never see wacky features coming, they just hit you in the face like a flying Wii Remote!

you could see the beginnings of the lockstep with industry back when Kimishima took over.
Lockstep with industry? Not sure I agree. We've had Switch that was a whole new category of console that gave Nintendo a specific place in the market, and now we're just assuming they'll stay neatly in that category with the next console.

If Nintendo does stop being weird and innovative with hardware in the long term... I think that would be bad because we won't get more fun new things like Wii, Switch, Virtual Boy, 3DS, etc.

You never see wacky features coming, they just hit you in the face like a flying Wii Remote!

Lockstep with industry? Not sure I agree. We've had Switch that was a whole new category of console that gave Nintendo a specific place in the market, and now we're just assuming they'll stay neatly in that category with the next console.

If Nintendo does stop being weird and innovative with hardware in the long term... I think that would be bad because we won't get more fun new things like Wii, Switch, Virtual Boy, 3DS, etc.

I'm very sure that Nintendo would be extremely happy if they never have another Virtual Boy again.

Back
Top Bottom