• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion NVIDIA employee confirms existence of rumoured Switch 2 SoC

Still don’t understand where the general notion of Nintendo being bad with BC actually comes from lol
There's this weird new pervasive idea in the general gaming fanbase that Nintendo has become ultra greedy with legacy content because they've released Wii U remasters on Switch. So people assume they'd never allow BC since this is the new, greedy Nintendo.

All of this ignores all of the many handhelds which received full price remasters from older console games, something they've always done. Along with full BC.

Will we get this kind of reveal again? It was so exciting. Maybe we’ll see Super Mario Odyssey 2 with Mario running in a straight line again.

I still can’t believe the new Mario was an auto-runner and that Skyrim never actually came to the console because it wasn’t actually announced despite being in the announcement video.

I still can’t believe the new Mario was an auto-runner and that Skyrim never actually came to the console because it wasn’t actually announced despite being in the announcement video.
... did someone actually say the second one o_O

I think the funniest thing I read as a reaction / question to that teaser was "what's the range of the portability", like it was still a Wii U streaming to a display. I wonder if that person ever got their hands on one.

I think the funniest thing I read as a reaction / question to that teaser was "what's the range of the portability", like it was still a Wii U streaming to a display. I wonder if that person ever got their hands on one.
remember when people predicted it was too expensive and wouldn't sell more than 30M?

Yes. Some did question if Skyrim was actually coming to Switch lol

Maybe something like this:

N3DS had MH and Majora's Mask, maybe Drake could have Pikmin 4 gameplay in it?

I could see Nintendo sneaking in some new Pikmin 4 footage in it. Miyamoto definitely thought 4K was beneficial to Pikmin and it’s something he’ll definitely want to speak about.

I could see Nintendo sneaking in some new Pikmin 4 footage in it. Miyamoto definitely thought 4K was beneficial to Pikmin and it’s something he’ll definitely want to speak about.
with so much cpu power, they'll be able to have far off npcs animate at 30fps! :O

Nintendo has a history of a clean break between console generations and digital purchases not carrying over.
One of, if not the biggest reasons for the Wii U's failure was that Nintendo threw out all rhyme or reason and went comically out of their way to make the Wii U backwards compatible with the Wii. The clean break with Switch was a necessity, not a choice. There's no reason not to have BC with Switch 2.

One of, if not the biggest reasons for the Wii U's failure was that Nintendo threw out all rhyme or reason and went comically out of their way to make the Wii U backwards compatible with the Wii. The clean break with Switch was a necessity, not a choice. There's no reason not to have BC with Switch 2.
Adding onto this, for their many (many) faults with online, I'm pretty sure they were the first of the big three to actually do digital BC with DSi -> 3DS. I don't know if Xbox Live titles on the OG Xbox transferred to the 360, but even if they did it still doesn't change the fact Nintendo has a history of supporting it (although seeing what Sony's done with legacy titles on PS+, I agree they should go farther with it).

There's this weird new pervasive idea in the general gaming fanbase that Nintendo has become ultra greedy with legacy content because they've released Wii U remasters on Switch. So people assume they'd never allow BC since this is the new, greedy Nintendo.

All of this ignores all of the many handhelds which received full price remasters from older console games, something they've always done. Along with full BC.
Nintendo has been greedy with legacy content on its home systems. Wii VC purchases didn't carry to Wii U (yes there were discounts). Nothing carried over from Wii U to Switch. There is some reasonable doubt imo, even though I expect full BC and accounts to carry over.

Edit - compare the above to Xbox where you can download ancient XBLA purchases on the latest consoles.

Nintendo has been greedy with legacy content on its home systems. Wii VC purchases didn't carry to Wii U (yes there were discounts). Nothing carried over from Wii U to Switch. There is some reasonable doubt imo, even though I expect full BC and accounts to carry over.

Edit - compare the above to Xbox where you can download ancient XBLA purchases on the latest consoles.
This just isn’t true. The upgrade fees were for Wii U functionality. All your Wii purchases could be played on Wii U free of charge though.

That was before they had anything resembling a modern account system. Now you can literally add funds to your Nintendo account and use them to buy Switch, 3DS and WiiU games (until next year at least).

And the WiiU ports needed to happen. Way too much dev time and R&D invested into those titles for them to rot away on WiiU. And after the first year those old titles were “new” to like 80% of the install base, which is is more like 90% and 100 million switches now.

The only people pushing the greedy Nintendo narrative about ports and BC are salty WiiU owners. And I say this with total sincerity and as the biggest Sega Dreamcast fan on the planet, it’s time to leeeeeet it gooooooooo.

That was before they had anything resembling a modern account system. Now you can literally add funds to your Nintendo account and use them to buy Switch, 3DS and WiiU games (until next year at least).

And the WiiU ports needed to happen. Way too much dev time and R&D invested into those titles for them to rot away on WiiU. And after the first year those old titles were “new” to like 80% of the install base, which is is more like 90% and 100 million switches now.

The only people pushing the greedy Nintendo narrative are salty WiiU owners. And I say this with total sincerity and as the biggest Sega Dreamcast fan on the planet, it’s time to leeeeeet it gooooooooo.
I wish Ooga Booga weren't intrinsically racist cuz that game was fun as hell and deserves to be played.

Neat-o

So any guesses on reveal or release lol.

In all seriousness. The last direct did feel like preparing for something. I wonder if we’ll get something like a switch presentation type reveal for this new console. Or maybe just a direct.

Neat-o

So any guesses on reveal or release lol.

In all seriousness. The last direct did feel like preparing for something. I wonder if we’ll get something like a switch presentation type reveal for this new console. Or maybe just a direct.

"Join us on January 25th for a special announcement PRO-gram"

As someone else said, this is not true. All your digital Wii purchases carried over to Wii U, including VC but also all Wiiware.

Obviously Nintendo's BC historically is not nearly as good as Microsoft's is now, but Nintendo has been consistent throughout their history offering full BC whenever the physical hardware has allowed it. Really the one exception to that was WiiU/3DS to Switch, the hardware would feasibly allow digital software to carry over but in practice porting those games to completely different hardware would've been a massive undertaking.

I don't expect that level of dedication to BC from Nintendo like MS seems to be doing sadly. It would be nice.

Nintendo's history of bringing legacy content to their platforms is a separate discussion from Nintendo providing inter-platform BC. But these discussions get lumped together and the reality is muddled, resulting in hyperbolic statements like "Nintendo does not do BC".

We know they are going to continue NSO and lock certain retro games behind a subscription. That's different from if Switch 1 games will work on Switch 2 and if eShop purchases will carry over.

They're continuing a brand and keeping the form factor, so I expect compatibility. That's my simple assumption. BC will not stop Nintendo from selling full-priced definitive editions or remasters of their past games.

I might start saving up. I won't have a 4K TV at home, but better performance all round and in portable mode would be worth it.

I just wanted them to give us a tv only, power hungry version where 60 fps option like the other platforms nowadays.

This just isn’t true. The upgrade fees were for Wii U functionality. All your Wii purchases could be played on Wii U free of charge though.

As someone else said, this is not true. All your digital Wii purchases carried over to Wii U, including VC but also all Wiiware.

Goddammit.

I am a salty former Wii U owner with bad knowledge

Goddammit.

I am a salty former Wii U owner with bad knowledge
Well, its not unnatural, since the way it was handled was pretty stupid.
It was not account based, so you hade to manually move it from your wii to the wii menu on the Wii U.
And you could not use it from the Wii U menu, you hade to boot up the Wii menu every time.

They DID had the option to move some VC games to be native to the Wii U.... but you had to pay an extra upgrade fee...

it was the most stupid way to handle all of that.

One of, if not the biggest reasons for the Wii U's failure was that Nintendo threw out all rhyme or reason and went comically out of their way to make the Wii U backwards compatible with the Wii.
In retrospect it might've been better if they'd literally made a $250 new console and duct-taped a Wii to each one to sell for $350.

In retrospect it might've been better if they'd literally made a $250 new console and duct-taped a Wii to each one to sell for $350.
That’s basically what the early backwards compatible PS3s were. They just straight up had a PS2 SoC inside of them.

And then cut it because it was to expensive.

Yeah, the Wii u had a lot of bad decisions while also releasing at a really bad time.

When people think that the Switch is aging badly compared to contemporary Mobile Tech... The Wii u was partly inspired by the IPad, but by the time its gamepad released it was already falling behind in feel of the gamad (plasticky), screen size, brightness, resolution.

Yeah, it fellt good as a controller, but the screen felt old pretty fast compared to even cheaper phones that most people got.
having all thos gadgets wake up instantl from sleep while the wii u took its fair time for every action. Wanting to go to the menu from the game? took forever.

It just feels like a console that started development in the old tech paradigm but was released in the new.

Conversely, the Wii U being such a colossal mistake is what allowed Nintendo to knock it out of the park with the Switch. Had Nintendo made the correct choice at the time, the Wii U would have been an x86 box, and likely would have been successful enough that they'd continue down that path with its successor. We'd probably still have separate consoles and handhelds today in that scenario.

Pikmin isn't a system seller though. This is launch with TotK
Honestly there’s a good strat here tho

The system is gonna be supply constrained at launch: this is unavoidable.

Launch with Zelda in May: Nintendo fans want day one, mainstream consumers will link new hardware to new Zelda game, also want one at launch, demand will be through the roof with no way to meet demand with such limited supply. The story will become “no one can get the new hardware” and not “new hardware good.”

Launch with Pikmin in March: Limited appeal game that acts as the perfect showcase for what 4K resolutions can accomplish, but not a “cannot miss” title like Zelda. Nintendo fans buy one at launch, but the mainstream Zelda wanter can wait until May. This spreads the unit’s demand over a longer period of time, hopefully softening the supply problems by allowing Nintendo a few extra months to manufacture more units.

Having worked in mid level management for electronic retail for 30+ years, I have seen the Switch and its games kind of sell themselves at this point.

I think the only practical reason that the next Switch would need Zelda TotK(or vice versa) would be if the economy REALLY took a dive, then I can see Nintendo wanting to package the two together as a way of showing essential value and a way to say to customers: “want the new Zelda? then you really need to get it with the new console”

Of course the current gaming industry(a bit like the shoe fashion industry) is more resilient to recession etc, but the current situation is a perfect storm of unpredictability and soaring expenses for everyone, public and business alike.

I dunno mate, I lived through the PS3 debacle. It's best to not make assumptions. XD

Anyway, I'm hoping it's no more than $399.99. Even less if possible. The era of game machines being a half a grand is depressing to be honest.

Fretting about a potential lack of BC at this point may as well be concern trolling.

They’ve built a massive platform with a back catalogue of games that they want to sell to people. They may try some nickel and dimey shit where they charge an upgrade fee to unlock some features, but your library and access to everything on the eShop will be there.
It's Nintendo, though. They do some off the wall shit sometimes.

I dunno mate, I lived through the PS3 debacle. It's best to not make assumptions. XD

Anyway, I'm hoping it's no more than $399.99. Even less if possible. The era of game machines being a half a grand is depressing to be honest.
I bought a PS3 phat a few months after launch just to use it as a Blu-ray player. Good times.

It makes me wonder also about the graphic power compared to other handhelds in the market, for example it seems the aya neo pro, the odin, and the steam deack runs graphic intense games at reasonable settings.

If this device releases in the next 12 months we are gonna see many salty people, folks that are invested in Nintendo being so far behind and always releasing worse hardware - just because.

There are still people that think a Switch 2 would be weaker/worse than a SteamDeck - just because its Nintendo - while ignoring circumstances like release dates and production capabilities.

They are also ignoring the comments from Nintendo themselves from their inventor update in 2020 that they are no longer following the "squeeze old hardware in interesting ways" mantra of the last 20 years and now looking to use "cutting-edge tech" in their R&D

Here is the quote from David Gibson
"R&D investment - previously used to look at conventional tech that enabled a lower price and appeal to users. But now doing cutting edge technology, look at how intuitive it is for users, also battery life is important given game-play of 5-6hrs"

It makes me wonder also about the graphic power compared to other handhelds in the market, for example it seems the aya neo pro, the odin, and the steam deack runs graphic intense games at reasonable settings.
At this point it's pretty much guaranteed to blow the Aya and the Steam Deck out of the water.

So based on this rumor, Nintendo will be at a $500 price? Looking at the starting price of the Deck I think this is where it will end...
There's a lot of debate on the potential price point but no solid evidence either way. Between $399 and $499 seems like a safe bet unless they realign pricing on the whole Switch lineup somehow.

Back
Top Bottom