• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Fun Club Nuzlocke challenges

andreverts

Rattata
Hi everybody, talking in another topic about games you never get tired to replay I saw that Pokémon nuzlockes are quite popular over here too.
Pokémon games tend to be too easy, especially if you grew up with them and played tons of hours trying to catch 'em all. Here's where the nuzlocke challenges come in to help: customize your run with rules/restrictions that balance the difficulty as you like.

Anything is possibile: you set what you need to have fun (that's always the ultimate goal), but here you can find the basics: https://nuzlockeuniversity.ca/nuzlocke-rules/

Anyway, this topic is more intended to talk about our experiences, how we set our adventures and feel free to write/show your playthrough.

I'm playing Let's Go Pikachu in my own way: the classic way.
When I bought this remake (as big nostalgic fan of 1st gen as I am) more than a year ago, I almost instantly dropped it after Pallet Town; I couldn't accept the Go features.
End of the story...or it was since when the idea to nuzlocke it came to my mind "what if I totally ignore the new things I dislike?".
That said, I started a fresh new game a couple weeks ago with the intention to only catch the Pokémon I want/need and not do multiple catches to get exp. I'm glad I did it because now this game feels "right" to me, plus I'm appreciating to be constantly underleveled: if you only fight trainers, you keep your team around 2-3 levels below the enemies and, especially against gym leaders, you're forced to take advantage of weaknesses, items, etc.

Looking forward to read other stories and opnions!

I've been thinking about how to do Nuzlocke runs for SwSh and S/V. I haven't really caught up on what rules the online communities have devised for those.

The Nuzlocke run that I did manage to accomplish for 2022 was for Fire Red! Basic Nuzlocke rules applied, played on set mode and with level capping, spiced up with a randomizer mod that I believe includes up to Gen VII. One of my starter choices hilariously turned out to be Yveltal, so of course I had to pick that. That big bad bird carried me through the game and I beat the Elite 4 + Champion with him, Garbodor, Milotic, Registeel, Beheeyem and Emboar.

Nice to see a dedicated thread for nuzlockes in this section. Currently on attempt #4 of a Sun no Z-move run with minimal EVs (shooting for none).

I've been thinking about how to do Nuzlocke runs for SwSh and S/V. I haven't really caught up on what rules the online communities have devised for those.
SWSH don't really present issues since there are still random encounters apart from caves and surfing. SV seems... tougher. I've seen a few options proposed: first 'mon you see, blindfold/close your eyes, first tera raid, or creating a wheel for each area and spinning for your encounter.

Excuse the double post, but my nuzlocke of Sun is complete! For an official game, this was quite the challenge. My rules:

• Traditional "hardcore" nuzlocke rules (No items in battle, set mode, level caps of next Totem/Kahuna/E4)
  • No Z-moves
  • EVs, the things that raise your Pokémon's stats when gained in increments of 4, were manually reduced to 0 with base stat reducing berries (Pomeg, Tamato, etc). SM and USUM are a few of the only mainline games that have AI trainers with EV trained Pokémon (this includes Kahunas, Totems, the E4/Champion, and other major trainers like Gladion, Hau, Guzma, and Lusamine). So not having them is a disadvantage.
  • No stat-boosting moves (e.g. Swords Dance)
  • I also banned Gyarados, Crobat, and Salamence
  • I'll note that I did level up my Pokémon with Rare Candies to save time and avoid EVs from wild Pokémon

After making it to the E4 in my first attempt, I wiped to Kahili, but I found a team that would have worked had I brought it. So, I felt determined to try again. I reset twice after sort of wiping to Totem Gumshoos on attempt 2 (my Popplio overleveled, and the rest of the team died) and losing my Grimer to Illima in attempt 3 when I should have sacked something else.

Run 4, we made it back to the E4. After quite a bit of contemplation following a last-minute decision to ban Salamence. I came up with the following team:
The Champs

I thought I'd have a relatively easier time with Olivia and Acerola. I beat Olivia pretty handily, but Acerola was nearly my undoing. When Acerola sent out her Palossand, I needed to switch between my Muk and Skarmory to dodge Earth Power and hopefully bait her Z-move. I accomplished both, but in an attempt to get my Skarmory some Leftovers recovery, I hastily switched in my Whimsicott taking huge damage from a Shadow Ball. I should have gone through Muk or Krookodile to bait Giga Drain/Earth Power. I thought I had thrown the run and was convinced I lost when my Skarmory missed a Toxic on Palossand. I managed to stall to a point where Palossand switched out, but I wasn't counting PP. This ultimately cost me my Gigalith because I didn't feel confident switching in my Whimsicott fearing the AI was smuggling a final Shadow Ball.

Hala was the smoothest E4, which was funny considering I felt he was the biggest threat when constructing my team. Kahili felt daunting with the loss of Gigalith, but Skarmory clutched out KO's on Toucannon, Mandibuzz, and Crobat, with Slowbro and Muk handling her Skarmory and Oricorio, respectively.

Kukui seemed winnable with the 5 I had left. Ninetales proved as difficult as I thought it would be. Freezing my Muk and KO'ing it, Slowbro, and Krookodile. I won because of a huge throw by the AI. Down to 3 on each side, my Krook in on Snorlax, I flinched it with Fling and clicked EQ. Instead of letting Snorlax get hit, Kukui hard switched to Ninetales putting the damage I needed on it to revenge kill with Whimsicott. Skarmory stalled out the Snorlax and Braviary, and with that I had won.

Sorry for the massive wall of text, but I felt good winning this one.

Congratulations on completing your Nuzlocke! How tough would you rank Sun compared to the others?
Thanks! So, I'd have to rank it easier than romhacks as I still have a ton of trouble with those (and I've only "beaten" one). In terms of official games, I think the E4 with no EVs presented the toughest challenge out of any I've played. BDSP would be brutal, and USUM would maybe be slightly more challenging.
I suppose basically you just don’t count the mons in the overworld as encounters?
In my most recent run, I closed my eyes for Galar Mine 1 (the one before Turffield). Otherwise, my encounters were random grass or fishing. You could, alternatively, flip a coin or something when entering a new area to determine if you'll do a random or overworld encounter, though.

Back on my soft-nuzlocke on Let's Go Pika, here's my team at Silph

8sxPvcM.png

I can't do any multiple catches or get Pokémon I'm not interested in just for exp. The team has been built only defeating trainers, I'm pretty proud of how it's turning out!

BDSP's E4 is equivalent to the postgame facilities. They're EV trained and have full movesets with beneficial abilities and held items. It would take one hell of a team to win without EVs or using set-up strats.
Yeah, I lost my BDSP run to the E4, they whittled my team down until I didn't have enough juice left and Cynthia put me out of my misery.

Back
Top Bottom