• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Retro NSO N64 controller support added to Super Mario 64 in 3D All Stars

ngl, I know the onus is on me, but I kind of feel like I should get some gold points for having bought the 3D collection, now that SM64 is just for 'free' on the NSO+ plan.

ngl, I know the onus is on me, but I kind of feel like I should get some gold points for having bought the 3D collection, now that SM64 is just for 'free' on the NSO+ plan.
Different versions, the 3D collection has the Shindou version which has less glitches, NSO version is the original US ROM.

This is really cool and unexpected. I haven't played the NSO verison of SM64, but I heard it's a little laggy. I've played through the All-Stars version like 10 times, and I'd be happy to play it again with the original controller.

It always seemed like there was a pretty good chance of this happening, but I wasn't sure due to the delisting. The real question now is if there'll ever be a way to play Galaxy with a Wiimote and Nunchuk.

Eh, in my mind 64 was always the smallest reason to get 3D All-Stars. Sunshine and Galaxy were the big draws there.

But I do appreciate having access to the Shindou version, as well as the upressed assets.

Oh, this is nice. My N64 controller order actually has a use now, lol.

When I'm finished with Sunshine for the monthly challenge, I'll treat myself to another run through.

It always seemed like there was a pretty good chance of this happening, but I wasn't sure due to the delisting. The real question now is if there'll ever be a way to play Galaxy with a Wiimote and Nunchuk.
Would there be a point without sensor bar support though?

Maybe someone internally saw the youtube videos about people trying it and thought it would be a bad look for the controller not to work with the flagship game it was made for. IIRC jump was configured to both A and B so you couldn't punch.

What would be nice, most importantly, would be to be able to remap the buttons in the Switch's OS because that 'Can't remap' prompt won't cut it. It's not some third party controller, geez.

Would there be a point without sensor bar support though?
The sensor bar is an incredibly simple piece of tech. It's just an array of Infrared LEDs with a cable for power. In the event that Nintendo has an impetus to add Wiimote support to Switch (because they sure ain't doing that for a single delisted game), it would be trivial to put out a cheap Switch version of it powered via USB.

This is great news! I had tried this when the controller first came out, but couldn't get far due to not being able to punch or pick things up. I haven't subscribed to the expansion (mainly using my N64 controller for Mario Party), but I'll definitely give it a go in 3D All Stars!

Maybe someone internally saw the youtube videos about people trying it and thought it would be a bad look for the controller not to work with the flagship game it was made for. IIRC jump was configured to both A and B so you couldn't punch.

What would be nice, most importantly, would be to be able to remap the buttons in the Switch's OS because that 'Can't remap' prompt won't cut it. It's not some third party controller, geez.
It truly is weird. I can't come up with a single technical reason for it.

Well, actually - that's not entirely true. It's possible they're not sure how to resolve custom mapping with the remapping NSO apps already do to their respecting controllers. But this certainly can't be the best way to go about it.

Still waiting for them to patch in non-motion controller support into Super Mario Galaxy that was implemented into the Nvidia Shield version.

Aaaany day now.

:(

Honestly, how Nintendo's handle Galaxy has been unusually strange on the controller front, given they rolled back changes (though kept the spin-ability mapped to a button that was introduced in the Nvidia Shield version) and they didn't give multiple options. Really puzzled by that.

Really glad they did introduce proper N64 controller support here for Super Mario 64, but Galaxy really needs to be addressed...

EDIT: Before anyone asks, Galaxy has always given me issues due to neurological disabilities, so the motion controls have been really difficult for me to play as a result. I know the Nvidia Shield solution isn't perfect, but I'd probably have a much easier time playing.

Different versions, the 3D collection has the Shindou version which has less glitches, NSO version is the original US ROM.
And I think, correct me if I am wrong, the 3D All Stars version aside from the higher res polygons, they also improved some of the bitmap images so it would not be blurry at higher res.

Back
Top Bottom