• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Rumour NSO GB/C and GBA emulators allegedly leaked

I’m thinking GB/C and GBA launch at the same time, with GBA locked behind the Expansion Pack. Could be a June Direct shadowdrop.

I predict (based on nothing but feeling) there will not be any corresponding hardware (controllers, etc) for these. The next NSO Classic Controller will be PC Engine when that releases in 2023.
tbh the GB/C/A already more or less does have their controller: the NES one lol

1200px-Game-Boy-FL.jpg

nintendo-gameboy-advance.jpg

1000x1000_nesc_storeimages_controllers.jpg

The NSO version of the NES controller even has tiny L and R trigger buttons at the top, which the original obviously didn't have, so for GBA it works.

No idea where this narrative that The Pokémon Company is the devil came from. We're already seeing signs of Pokémon on this service, there's really no reason to worry.

Do you have any info if GameCube is too in the works for a possible release this or next year?

I mean, if we ho back, GameCube was rumored as the first ever platform by Eurogamer shortly before the announcement of the Switxh.

Wonder what happened with it since then…

I don't know anything about Nintendo's future plans for GameCube. But I would love to see more Cube games remastered in HD on Switch.

I don't know anything about Nintendo's future plans for GameCube. But I would love to see more Cube games remastered in HD on Switch.
What I would give to see Julian Eggebrecht announcing a Rogue Squadron HD Trilogy…

I know it's a fools dream but I do hope GCN games can get onto NSO one day, even if we have to wait until the next console for it to be possible.

Contrary to popular belief...I just don't see Nintendo doing dedicated remasters for most of its library. We do still have the Zelda remasters stuck on Wii U island, we got Sunshine on Switch as apart of the 3D All Stars collection, Luigi's Mansion got a remake on 3DS, and Metroid Prime has been heavily rumored...but outside of that, I just don't see the likes of Star Fox Adventures/Assault, Chibi-Robo!, Eternal Darkness, F-Zero GX, Kirby Air Ride, Wario World, DK Jungle Beat, Geist, Custom Robo, TTYD or even Mario Kart DD or Smash Melee getting the HD remaster treatment, they feel exactly the kind of games that would only be revisited through a NSO/VC styled service.

No idea where this narrative that The Pokémon Company is the devil came from. We're already seeing signs of Pokémon on this service, there's really no reason to worry.
I suppose it's because, if they aren't on this service, we'll never know why, because The Pokemon Company is answerable to nobody. There's not going to be any press releases or quotes journalists get if they don't appear on the service.

I know the announcement is not oficial (yet), but I cannot wait to play DK 94 and Golden Sun

I hope they release more than just the hits.

Seeing Ninja 5-0 and Car Battler Joe up there is a good start. Give me Wade Hixton’s Counter Punch, Sigma Star Saga, Scurge Hive and all the weird one-offs that I still remember.

Oh man, the Iridion games. The weird Jet Set Radio demake.

I hope they’re doing deals to make this great.

Oh hell yes. Playing Kirby’s Labyrinth mini-game yesterday made me remember that the joy-cons have accelerometers in them which means things like WarioWare Twisted and the tilt based Kirby and Yoshi games will be feasible and hopefully won’t involve paying 3x+ markup on eBay in some cases.

(We just need a solar sensor Nintendo and then Boktai time!)

Oh hell yes. Playing Kirby’s Labyrinth mini-game yesterday made me remember that the joy-cons have accelerometers in them which means things like WarioWare Twisted and the tilt based Kirby and Yoshi games will be feasible and hopefully won’t involve paying 3x+ markup on eBay in some cases.

(We just need a solar sensor Nintendo and then Boktai time!)
They could totally use the IR sensor on the back of the joycon if they really wanted to bring over Boktai.

Some people take Nintendo doesn’t completely own Pokémon too far.
Nintendo having no control over Pokemon is one of the funniest narratives I have seen on the Internet, everything big Pokemon does has to at least not be blocked by Nintendo, they have more power than Creatures/Game Freak. The fact that Game Freak is more independent than IS/HAL doesn’t mean they have total freedom when it comes to Pokemon, if Nintendo wants a game on their service it will be on the service.

The Cotton Anthology had a decent Saturn emulator. Overall it has good compatibility, but it suffers from input lag.
Saturn Tribute Layer Section has a demo out; and it’s great with 5 frames of input lag. When ST Guardian Force released it was 11 frames of lag (later patched to 8) and Cotton 2 was 8+. Now Saturn Emulation is absolutely feasible, played the demo and it feels great (GF was unplayable, money down the drain).

I will never understand that darkening filter on the WiiU, it's so confusing that they really thought that was necessary

One thing that many companies do for stuff that fails Harding Tests is to reduce the image brightness (otherwise known as Harding Edits). What's unusual is that instead of having the filter activating when it detects severe flashing that remained unedited, it just... stays on. Many companies, Square Enix included, edited the ROMs (some stuff was live patched too), notably Final Fantasy III was heavily altered to reduce the battle flashing and elsewhere, so most of the bigger issues were addressed already, but I find it curious why Nintendo just had the filter on all the time rather than detective specific patterners and such.

That said, other than not activating as needed rather than permanently on (maybe a technical limitation at the time Nintendo couldn't implement for whatever reason), that's likely the reason why it was there in the first place.

Is it not possible that EZ Flash carts are just more readily accessible to NERD for testing?
I'm assuming GBA development hardware isn't in production anymore, while EZ Flash is a cost effective way of comparing behavior on original hardware.

Yeah I'm not sure it means a whole lot. I mean it looks like it's just an image in the dev UI. Maybe his point is that Nintendo employees would never even use an image of an EZ Flash cart and that this is from an outsourced developer.. But I'm not sure that means the whole thing is fake.

Hope we see GB on the service soon! Plenty of titles I'd love to replay.

Wait, didn’t some people say that Nintendo wasn’t bringing GBA over? I remember last year some leakers said only GB and GBC were coming to Switch Online
Nate said he only knew of GB and GBC. He never said GBA wasn’t coming.

Nate said he only knew of GB and GBC. He never said GBA wasn’t coming.
Correct. GBA simply wasn't at the same point in pipeline as GB/GBC/N64/Genesis.

GB/GBC finished testing early 2021. N64/Genesis finished a few months later. GBA was not at that stage when the info was reported last summer.

Is that Pokémon pinball?! That is the one gba game I have been wanting to play again forever! I haven’t played it since it’s release and I misplaced my gba and games years ago. It’s the only pinball game that I love, trying to complete the Pokédex is really fun.

Well that’s perfect!

Okay, so no Analogue Pocket. I’m just hoping the GBA Yu-Gi-Oh! games are released as well.

Yeah I'm not sure it means a whole lot. I mean it looks like it's just an image in the dev UI. Maybe his point is that Nintendo employees would never even use an image of an EZ Flash cart and that this is from an outsourced developer.. But I'm not sure that means the whole thing is fake.
I agree. More context:

This seems like a lot of effort to fake something a lot of people assumed was coming anyway.

I think GB/GBC will also be added to the Expansion Pack.
Nintendo likely thinks that FC/SFC is sufficient for base NSO.

I agree. More context:

This seems like a lot of effort to fake something a lot of people assumed was coming anyway.

The Internet is going to say Nate the Hate put in this much faked this to corroborate his story about GB/GBC from last year. I can see the headlines already. /S

I really hope this drops soon

Anybody who bashes the gba sound will feel my wrath!

tbh the GB/C/A already more or less does have their controller: the NES one lol

1200px-Game-Boy-FL.jpg

nintendo-gameboy-advance.jpg

1000x1000_nesc_storeimages_controllers.jpg

The NSO version of the NES controller even has tiny L and R trigger buttons at the top, which the original obviously didn't have, so for GBA it works.
It doesn't work elegantly for GBA - you'd need another controller to access the emulation menu, as well as take screenshots or go to the home menu. The whole point of these is to replicate the original feel anyway though, not just to provide any old controller from the 90s. For both of those reasons, I'd actually argue the SNES controller is a better fit, at least for Game Boy; it could recreate the Super Game Boy experience. I suppose the GCN controller could work for GBA too, but I was never a fan of that controller setup for GBA games (though there were a select few titles that supported rumble when played through the Game Boy Player).

I'm not sure if they'll go down this route or not for the handhelds. My gut says no, especially since handhelds had to make some ergonomic sacrifices compared to home controllers; they weren't really the greatest experience, even though they were generally good (and I'm personally a fan of the OG Game Boy's feel).

It doesn't work elegantly for GBA - you'd need another controller to access the emulation menu, as well as take screenshots or go to the home menu. The whole point of these is to replicate the original feel anyway though, not just to provide any old controller from the 90s. For both of those reasons, I'd actually argue the SNES controller is a better fit, at least for Game Boy; it could recreate the Super Game Boy experience. I suppose the GCN controller could work for GBA too, but I was never a fan of that controller setup for GBA games (though there were a select few titles that supported rumble when played through the Game Boy Player).

I'm not sure if they'll go down this route or not for the handhelds. My gut says no, especially since handhelds had to make some ergonomic sacrifices compared to home controllers; they weren't really the greatest experience, even though they were generally good (and I'm personally a fan of the OG Game Boy's feel).
I’d be shocked if they didn’t have GB and GBA themed controllers. Even if they’re just SNES controllers in AGB or DMG colors, they’ll still sell out at $30-$50 and go for 3x that on eBay.

Oh sh*t. If they actually release the Final Fantasy GBA ports then there won't be any need to get the Pixel Remasters since the former actually has stuff like extra dungeons and story elements.
…which is why I wouldn’t expect the Final Fantasy GBA ports on NSO.

Back
Top Bottom