• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Fun Club Normal type is strong against nothing. Time to introduce a new type to fix that.

Derachi

Fresh Eater
Founder
Pronouns
he/him
okay look

back in the 6th gen they introduced Fairy to balance out Dragon Type being too darn powerful. But now I think they gotta give Normal some love, as right now it’s strong against nothing. That’s why I think the need to introduce a new type that’s weak to normal, therefore giving normal a competitive boost.

Folks, let me introduce

Weird Type

For Pokemon that are just… weird. Strange little guys. Funky little freaks. Ones you look at and are like “there’s a very specific kind of person who would like this.“

Some Pokemon I think would fall under “Weird” type: Mr. Mime, Wobbuffet, Dunsparce, Snubbull (but not Granbull), Shuckle, Smeargle, Shroomish (but not Breloom), Sableye, Bibarel (not Bidoof), Croagunk (not Toxicroak), Lickilicky, Porygon-Z, Watchog, Conkeldurr, Eelektross (not previous two forms), Elgyem, Beheeyem, Cryogonal, Stunfisk, Binacle, Barbaracle, Salazzle, Bruxish, Drampa, Thwackey (not Grookey or Rillaboom), Blipbug (not evos), Chewtle (not Drednaw), Cramorant, Impidimp, Morgrem, Grimmsnarl, Grafaiai, Toedscool (not Toedscruel), Wiglett, Wugtrio, Orthworm, Dudunsparce, and Gholdengo.

This is just off the top of my head, I’m probably forgetting some obvious candidates!

If any of these have ”normal type,” replace it with “Weird.” And if any have two types, neither of which is “normal,” replace one with “weird” because tbh it’s more important that they be weak to Normal than they have whatever types they had before.

Anyway I think they should add “Weird” type! Let me know what you think, thank you

1670962657230.png

so what does the weird type beat

because if the weird type doesn't beat anything then it's just the normal type again

Gimme the deets!
Weird Type:

Weak to: Normal, Bug, Grass

Strong against: Fairy, Psychic, Ghost

Immune to: Ice

Honestly I wish the compromise for Normal types is that they just have naturally higher stats then their peers. Which would make having any dual type Normal Pokémon more of a buff then a hindrance.

I think Gamefreak is good on the existing meta and don't want to introduce any new types. Though there may be a caiviat there, as they did introduced the Legends of Arceus exclusive Legendary Plate that starts Arceus off as a Normal type then changes type depending on what the other opponents types are so it's attack Judgement is always super effective. Which flowed into Gen 9 of allowing any Pokémon to become any type through Terrastializing and having a Terra type.

If they introduce a new type they need some sort of in world event in the games at this point to introduce something new. Because they really spend gen 6 to 9 now cementing that these are the finalized Types there will be.

Three type mons would be terrible competitively. So the only real natural course for types is to expand on their specialize abilities rather then just their offensive and defensive advantages.

So the ideas:
Normal type mons just have naturally higher stats is a buffed. Would be equal to say some types are immune to their own types status effects.

But the type that is just so awful and bad is Ice type. And Gamefreak keeps trying small ideas to try and combat this in the games, like replacing hail (or well adding in addition of it) Snowfall with the weather effect of boosting ice type defence. Which goes back to the problem of ice types while being extremely strong offensively, are just super weak defensively. And they don't want to eliminate its type disadvantages. Nor do they want to add more to Ice types to make them more powerful offensively. (It's still wild to me that water is strong against fire. But ice, you know FROZEN COLD WATER is weak against fire).

Right now the biggest problem in the combat circle is that there are types that are just inheritately stronger both from a offensive and defensive standpoint especially when it comes to dual types.

And that leaves a lot of Pokémon trying to cover up their type problems with abilities, that generations gimmick and it's moveset.

I think Gen 9 did a lot to focus on making sure all of its new mons were good competively in someway or did something different. And gave a lot of old Pokémon some proper nerfs/buffs as they are now doubling down on archetypes with weather, terrains and this generations type gimmick.

So does Pokémon need a Weird type? No. But I do think we need existing types to be buffed and more things like Weather/Terrains to give certain mons better advantages to make them more competitive and balanced. And that gimmicks for each generation shouldn't be locked in just that generation of games, but brought back with changes after learning the pros and cons of the previous games.

I actually thought of exactly this idea of a new Pokemon type before clicking on this thread, it’s too sad though and says too much about society

I think Normal not being super effective to anything is fine game design, just give them better moves I guess. They should buff Ice type resistances before anything else though

Only if they bring back Larry and have his arc be to come to terms with his daughter who is a weird-type Pokemon user

Back
Top Bottom