• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Nintendo's next big new IP - what could it possibly be?

Irene

Soar long!
Pronouns
She/Her
It's a little less than 2 hours left until the final Smash character, but with Nintendo, there's always something to speculate on ..

For the last few Directs now, a lot of us have in their hopes, dreams and predictions talked about a "New IP" from whatever EPD studio is missing in action at the moment.

What's it gonna be though? Nintendo has the ability and knack for blindsiding us with completely random stuff like Labo and Ring Fit, and wow and amaze us with stellar stuff like ARMS and Splatoon.

So, two questions: what do you think it's gonna be - and what do you want personally?

It's gonna be another small project like Good Job I think. EPD4 may have something maybe late 2022, early 2023 but I feel like we'll see a smaller eShop game before then.

Are you kidding? How can anyone predict that. :oops: Nintendo is so unpredictable its impossible to tell. Just look at Splatoon? I certainly did NOT think it would get so big so fast.

I can’t say for small IP’s because Nintendo is always producing small new IP’s. But for something bigger I think it’ll come from either Next Level Games or Monolith Soft.

I'm envisioning this IP where zero gravity vehicles race around tracks with crazy layouts at breakneck speeds. I'm imagining arcadey gameplay, neon colours, a banger soundtrack.

Call it G-Zero or something, idk.

I'm envisioning this IP where zero gravity vehicles race around tracks with crazy layouts at breakneck speeds. I'm imagining arcadey gameplay, neon colours, a banger soundtrack.

Call it G-Zero or something, idk.

They already tried this, but it was cancelled!

g-zero.jpg

As for me, I want EPD to make a fishing game starring Slowpoke.

If it has to be entirely new, then a fishing game where you play as a cat.

I'd love for the ARMS team to make something more serious, heavier on story. ARMS had cool lore and a fantastic cast of characters. I think it could be real good. I've always wanted a Nintendo take on the Telltale-style narrative choice genre, one where they put their own spin on it, just like they've done with RTS (Pikmin) and BotW. (open world RPG)

This is dream stuff though. When the real deal drops, watch it be auto-chess or something..

My favorite Nintendo is a Nintendo that's taking something popular and then turning it on its head, ala Splatoon or Smash Bros.
I'd prefer a major new ip that's something like the Thief game Aonuma mentioned, but with a genius hook to it.
Imo they're far and away the best developers in the world, so I'd trust them to pull it off

I think that if they make a new internally developed IP, it's gonna be in a genre they don't already cover. Which is pretty difficult when you consider the breadth of software Nintendo releases. I‘ve been jokingly saying that the MK team is working on a multiplayer FPS for a while now but maybe they'll put a multiplayer mode back into Metroid Prime.

The last notable new IP they had was... Astral Chain? Or was it Good Job!?

Astral Chain, then Ring-Fit Adventure, then Good job!, then Clubhouse Games, jump rope challenge, Part-time ufo, then Game Builder Garage. Might've missed something.

Then it's up for interpretation what constitutes "notable", as some people might argue that the last few aren't as notable, since they're not as big as titles like AC and RFA.

Astral Chain, then Ring-Fit Adventure, then Good job!, then Clubhouse Games, jump rope challenge, Part-time ufo, then Game Builder Garage. Might've missed something.

Then it's up for interpretation what constitutes "notable", as some people might argue that the last few aren't as notable, since they're not as big as titles like AC and RFA.
Clubhouse games was not a new IP, there was a DS game. Neither was Part-time UFO, that's not even Nintendo's IP.

After the Famiboards - sorry - Famicom Detective Club remakes, I would love Nintendo to put their own spin on something more akin to one of the best non-Nintendo made game ever : Ghost Trick.

Also : a Shy Guy stealth game :ninja:

Last edited:
I was going to say Nintendo Battle Royale but then I remembered we had (and lost) Mario 35 :(

After Nintendogs :
Nintendonald Trump
PS : well, as I've just said, the genre has already been covered...

Last edited:
I think it'll be an actual action adventure. Taking the best of Ring Fit and Splatoon I guess. But I think it'll be a singleplayer game.
I think having a charismatic character and have RFA progression/environments would nail it perfectly.

The last notable new IP they had was... Astral Chain? Or was it Good Job!?
It really does depend what you mean by "big" or "notable."

If asked this on the street I'd probably say Splatoon, but in this context I'd probably reach for Ring Fit Adventure.

And that's your most likely guess OP: whatever EPD 4 is working on.

Ring Fit makes a lot of sense.

I know people are usually joking, but I'd love to see a more cinematic game from Nintendo. Maybe they can let Next Level work on something new.

maxresdefault.jpg

H2x1_Labo_Generic_enGB_image1280w.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Astral_01.jpg

1576003345-2493575418.jpg

1207.jpg

Good luck trying to predict the next big new IP lol. I do hope EPD 9 are working on either a new IP or ARMS 2 with a giant overhaul of single player story/gameplay. I also truly wish Monolith Soft was actually working on a new IP as well with the medieval fantasy art. Next Level Games with a new high budget IP would be dope too. Any of those studios would have a high chance of making a banger

Given how the developers of Animal Crossing and Mario Kart produced big games of a different genre (Splatoon and ARMS respectively), I am interested to know what the ND Cube folks would develop if they could go that route. The aforementioned developers did carry some of their stylings to the new IPs, so like for example Splatoon has the character customisation that Animal Crossing has. ND Cube's games are thus far based on existing properties like Mario Party and Clubhouse Games, so it would be nice to see how their current expertise would translate to a new type of game. My first thought that it would be a rogue-like game, because their expertise in party games would likely be a good fit for that genre.

Thank you for reading.

The internal Nintendo devs create new ip only if they don’t fit any of the genres they already have IP’s for. A new IP usually means a new genre they’re tackling. I hope they try out the stealth genre one day. They also invest plenty in outside companies that have interesting ideas for games like Astral Chain or Octopath Traveler. Who knows what the next IP will be though? It can be anything. It’s going to be hard to speculate on it. The best thing I can think of is pick a popular genre that Nintendo doesn’t have a game for, imagine that with Nintendo style characters and that’s the closest you get.

I don't know why but i expect them to make a LTTP take on Minecraft, maybe not a 1:1 clone, kinda like how Game Builder Garage sits in between Roblox and Dreams.

I don't know why but i expect them to make a LTTP take on Minecraft, maybe not a 1:1 clone, kinda like how Game Builder Garage sits in between Roblox and Dreams.

This post reminded me of the cancelled GameCube exclusive GameZero by former Rare-designer Martin Hollis.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom