• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo Switch Sports |ST| WiiSPN 3 (Golf Update is Live)

What future sports would you like to see added?

• Archery

Votes: 56 48.7%
  • Baseball/Softball

Votes: 54 47.0%
  • Basketball

Votes: 33 28.7%
  • Boxing

Votes: 44 38.3%
  • Frisbee/Disc Golf

Votes: 32 27.8%
  • Power Cruising/Air Sports

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • Table Tennis

Votes: 44 38.3%
  • Lacrosse

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • Croquet

Votes: 7 6.1%
  • Handball

Votes: 13 11.3%
  • Pickle ball

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other (mention in comments)

Votes: 2 1.7%

• Total voters
alright, it's a little early to be saying this, and it's entirely anecdotal to me, but here goes:

Nintendo Switch Sports players are the most bad-mannered playerbase on Switch online

the worst is soccer. earlier today people on the other team clap emoted at my teammate self-goaling, and continued to clap at other well-telegraphed mistakes (missing a kick, failed pass, etc)

I've seen this across a couple of other sports too, especially volleyball

that said, I'm trying to be the change I want to see in the world by clapping for good plays by opponents
I don't think anything in this game will top the stuff I see in Splatoon, but that's somewhat balanced out by how wholesome they can be.

alright, it's a little early to be saying this, and it's entirely anecdotal to me, but here goes:

Nintendo Switch Sports players are the most bad-mannered playerbase on Switch online

the worst is soccer. earlier today people on the other team clap emoted at my teammate self-goaling, and continued to clap at other well-telegraphed mistakes (missing a kick, failed pass, etc)

that said, I'm trying to be the change I want to see in the world by clapping for good plays by opponents
The worst is when people spam "cry emote" whenever you make a mistake

I will say it's nowhere near as fucking bad as smash players.

I really do not enjoy special lane bowling at all. I’m good at it, but I just want normal bowling 100% of the time. I’m going to test if pausing pro bowling gives you that since I only started seeing special lanes once I hit D rank.

Edit: thought to google it. Special lanes are unavoidable. They need to fix this nonsense. No more bowling online for me.

tennis and badminton giving me literal tennis elbow lol

still i can't stop playing, so addictive. have to take breaks though.

tennis and badminton giving me literal tennis elbow lol

still i can't stop playing, so addictive. have to take breaks though.
Lol. I got this from the demo gonna need rehabilitation services after playing this a bunch.

Last edited:
The worst is when people spam "cry emote" whenever you make a mistake

I will say it's nowhere near as fucking bad as smash players.
I do one cry emote when someone makes a mistake. But also couple with nice ones when they do well. Hard to judge intent unless they just hit it over and over

Last edited:
Got the items this week so I’m done for a bit. Hit C- in Chambara so I’m climbing the ranks there. I’m done with bowling until they make special lanes separate. Special lanes ruins bowling for me with not just the obstacles, but the Mario Kart rubber band aspect where people losing get easier challenges. Just 100% ruins the integrity of bowling. Shame since I was having so much fun with standard bowling online and I don’t want to throw special lanes just to get out of it faster. I always play to win and it’s not cool for people into it. Not feeling Badminton online, still have to try Tennis, Soccer, and Volleyball online.

I do the clap emote when someone does a good play or wins
the shock emote when they make a mistake
he crying emote when I make a mistake
the peace emote when I win

of course, not all the time

Hard to top Smash with all the “No fight“ lobbies clogging up the list or players closing the game in a stock match with more than two players after getting defeated, causing the match to just end for everyone. And don’t get me started on Splatoon and its friendly community of quitters, people who don’t move for the first minute or just want to turn every match into a „Squid Party“.

Not feeling Badminton online, still have to try Tennis, Soccer, and Volleyball online.
Soccer online is so good. Especially when you get on a team that understands positioning and passing. But even when it’s chaotic, it’s good fun. And can be a bit funny at times. I’d buy a stand alone version of soccer tbh

Hard to top Smash with all the “No fight“ lobbies clogging up the list or players closing the game in a stock match with more than two players after getting defeated, causing the match to just end for everyone. And don’t get me started on Splatoon and its friendly community of quitters, people who don’t move for the first minute or just want to turn every match into a „Squid Party“.
Bit off topic but the squid parties annoy me so much just ruins the match for everyone.
Very satisfying to splat them though

Follow-up to post in another thread:

No one helped me. Now I'm celebrating goals like Bayern München's Lewandowski befoe I'll soon celebrate goals like Mario Strikers Charged's Waluigi.

Oh no, I made a mistake. I saw a stream of the Switch Sports Rocket-League-on-foot game, and I'm already resigned to succumbing to Mario Strikers nostalgia, and now I'm in acute danger of dropping a hunno on two soccer titles over just the next 30ish days. Two titles which I'll probably exhaust after less than a combined three weeks...

One QL improvement I’d like to see is a “play again” option for when you want to play the same sport again without getting kicked back out to the sport selection menu.

I've seriously considered streaming some Mii shenanigans, but the setup would be difficult
that does definitely sound like a pain in the ass

my mind goes blank in a bad way when I try to watch streaming too, I’m just… not built for it.

one of my pals once pitched in for a copy of Mario Maker 2, so I built him some really haunted levels and watched him stream them with little-to-no-knowledge of Mario games

my whole life has arguably been surreal, but that entire experience was… a whole different surreal

anyhow now that I’ve gone off on a tangent, I’d be down to send you my friend code so we can pass each other like haunted ships gliding in the night

my mind goes blank in a bad way when I try to watch streaming too, I’m just… not built for it.
fittingly, I stopped streaming because my mind goes blank while streaming myself lol

and yeah, I'll send my fc in a sec

I keep mishearing the announcer when they say "bowling"

me:
tumblr_ohfq2mItau1qhjvxzo1_500.gifv

From what I am reading on the last page the game seems to be good? I am looking into gifting it to a nephew.

It's very good but also super light on content which can be an issue if your nephew is gonna play by himself.

I burned through all three item cards in a day, yet I can't stop playing soccer. I've already amassed a collection of clips I have to resist showing off to people unasked like a proud parent photographs of their new-born, pet owner their kitty or doggo, or MMORPG player their avatar.

My copy arrives tomorrow. I haven't seen anything of soccer, so people here saying it's the best sport has me intrigued...

I played the three sports online I hadn’t played yet. I like Tennis except you don’t get a random teammate even if you get paired with a pair. Not a deal breaker, but you are doing way more work lol. Volleyball does fill that net sport teammate need, but I haven’t played too much yet. I think I like it, maybe?

Soccer is awesome! Lot of fun to work together especially when good team play all comes together, but I have trouble with the controls with aiming shots. My favorite part is probably being the goalie though. Lot of fun to crush the other teams hopes and dreams with good blocking lol.

Soccer is awesome! Lot of fun to work together especially when good team play all comes together, but I have trouble with the controls with aiming shots. My favorite part is probably being the goalie though. Lot of fun to crush the other teams hopes and dreams with good blocking lol.

You're braver than I am. Goalkeeper is the toughest position because of how hard it is to play out the back and the constant threat of starring in an embarrassing replay because your clearance attempt got bounced back into the net.

I'm most comfortable playing last man, too, except I prefer to play high up when my team has the other side pinned in their own half and I'm distributing the ball and snuffing out counters like Xavi/Busquets in their prime. When it comes to actually having to save shots on goal, I get flustered. It was worse before I learned that what counts as forward, diaglonal and sideways for the purpose of a kick is relative to the direction the camera is facing, not your player as I had first assumed, but I still regularly mishit at crucial moments.

It was worse before I learned that what counts as forward, diaglonal and sideways for the purpose of a kick is relative to the direction the camera is facing, not your player as I had first assumed, but I still regularly mishit at crucial moments.
ohhhhh

I was playing defense the other night and inexplicably hit into our own goal twice

thank you, I think this was a key part of it

ohhhhh

I was playing defense the other night and inexplicably hit into our own goal twice

That still happens to me ...

show

I think it's because I mess up my waggling in a real match situation. As soon as I head into the last, free-form and stress-free part of the soccer tutorial the shots go where they they're supposed to. Headers also takes into account what point of the ball you hit, but that doesn't seem to be the case for kicks.

You're braver than I am. Goalkeeper is the toughest position because of how hard it is to play out the back and the constant threat of starring in an embarrassing replay because your clearance attempt got bounced back into the net.

I'm most comfortable playing last man, too, except I prefer to play high up when my team has the other side pinned in their own half and I'm distributing the ball and snuffing out counters like Xavi/Busquets in their prime. When it comes to actually having to save shots on goal, I get flustered. It was worse before I learned that what counts as forward, diaglonal and sideways for the purpose of a kick is relative to the direction the camera is facing, not your player as I had first assumed, but I still regularly mishit at crucial moments.
I feel like I half understood how kicks worked because I would take advantage of it, but half didn’t so I’m glad to hear how it actually works with the camera. When I play next week I’ll be focusing on Soccer and put that knowledge to good use.

I’ve also scored on myself…that crying emote you posted keeps getting use lol.

Incidentally, the emote game for soccer is another one that is generally excellent and adds to the experience. It’s fun to cheer teammates on when they get big scores and use emotes to apologize for bad plays.

Incidentally, the emote game for soccer is another one that is generally excellent and adds to the experience. It’s fun to cheer teammates on when they get big scores and use emotes to apologize for bad plays.
For sure. Emotes aren't too valuable in 1v1, but they're great in soccer and volleyball.

On that note, how would you all rank the sports? I go back and forth a lot, but I think my list is something like:

1. Badminton
2. Tennis
3. Volleyball
4. Soccer
5. Bowling
6. Chambara

For sure. Emotes aren't too valuable in 1v1, but they're great in soccer and volleyball.

On that note, how would you all rank the sports? I go back and forth a lot, but I think my list is something like:

1. Badminton
2. Tennis
3. Volleyball
4. Soccer
5. Bowling
6. Chambara

Same #1 but rest is quite different

1. Badminton
2. Volleyball
3. Football/Soccer
4. Chambara
5. Tennis
6. Bowling

I don’t hate Bowling but it usually takes a tad bit too long for my taste. Really didn’t expect my top 3 to be all new sports.

I’ve also scored on myself…that crying emote you posted keeps getting use lol.

Agreed. Volleyball has the nice touch with clapping to fire up teammates after a good rally or before a match point, but you can't emote immediately during play like you can in soccer.

I replaced the crying emote with the teary-eyed, about-to-cry smiley because it seems slightly less likely to be mistaken for toxicity when used to show honest empathy with an unlucky opponent (or your team of 4 is up against a team of only 3 or 2 players), but I'm still waiting for a collection with a good "Don't worry about it. We're gonna turn this around" stamp for when teammates make mistakes.

Same #1 but rest is quite different

1. Badminton
2. Volleyball
3. Football/Soccer
4. Chambara
5. Tennis
6. Bowling

I don’t hate Bowling but it usually takes a tad bit too long for my taste. Really didn’t expect my top 3 to be all new sports.
well it isn't too different, you just don't like tennis and are less afraid of the bowling fans than I am

1. Badminton
2. Tennis
3. Volleyball
4. Soccer
5. Bowling
6. Chambara
1 Chambara - just an excellent 1v1 experience and I love mastering the dual swords.

2 Bowling* - Offline Bowling is bliss and excellent in local multiplayer. Online you get a chance of special lanes which as a huge fan of bowling (I used to go every week) I despise. Drop this to bottom if it’s online even though I had a fantastic time with general cutthroat survival bowling.

3 Soccer - Honestly might put this one at two depending on the day. Really great team play and lots of skills to learn and apply.

4 Tennis - I like this one the most of the net sports. Controlling two players at once gives you a lot to juggle and this one feels the best against people.

5 Badminton - I liked this one offline more than online and I’m not sure why? I feel I need to put more time into this one since I had a better experience today.

6 Volleyball - I’ve played the least of this one but I had some good matches today. Working with a teammate is fun. I need to play more.

Agreed. Volleyball has the nice touch with clapping to fire up teammates after a good rally or before a match point, but you can't emote immediately during play like you can in soccer.

I replaced the crying emote with the teary-eyed, about-to-cry smiley because it seems slightly less likely to be mistaken for toxicity when used to show honest empathy with an unlucky opponent (or your team of 4 is up against a team of only 3 or 2 players), but I'm still waiting for a collection with a good "Don't worry about it. We're gonna turn this around" stamp for when teammates make mistakes.
My four are original happy, cool sunglasses smiley (which I mostly use as a I/We got this), the about to cry smiley face, and the girl crying (which in Soccer I sometimes use for out of stamina lol). So two degrees of positive and two degrees of negative.

I’m hoping we get a straight I’m sorry emote in the future.

how would you all rank the sports? I go back and forth a lot, but I think my list is something like:

1. Badminton
2. Tennis
3. Volleyball
4. Soccer
5. Bowling
6. Chambara

1. Soccer - It's the best depiction of what a match of the real thing looks like since the PES Playmaker days. I get great joy from a soccer game where positioning is more important than dribbling or shooting skills. I've employed zonal marking in this game and I've employed man-to-man marking, and I've switched fluidly between them and both tactics make sense and are rewarded! That gets an A27+ from me.

2. Volleyball - It's basically a game about timing, not much deeper than a series of well-disguised quicktime events, but there's just enough opportunities to disrupt opponent's rhythm to create exciting back and forths. I always considered volleyball a top tier video game sport, and it feels nice to have this cool little playable proof that's easy to jump into for a match or two.

3. Tennis - It's Wii Tennis with less precision and more strategy. I don't have the precision on my shot placement like I used to have back in my Wii Sports days, either because the motion controls are worse or I'm old and washed up and suck now. Either way, the new stamina mechanic makes up for whatever we may have lost going from Wiimote to Joy-Con.

4. Bowling - It's Bowling. Golf, when it comes out, will probably get a similar rating of "It's Golf."

5. Badminton - It's my least favorite of my most played sports. I've given the controls plenty time and chances to click with me. So far they won't. If they ever do, Badminton would easily move above Bowling and Tennis.

6. Chambara - It's a fun, dumb time until you run into someone who mastered the way of the sword. I enjoyed those duels during the Online Play Test, but quickly discovered in the full release it's a game I've no desire to get good at.

Back
Top Bottom