• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo Switch Sports |ST| WiiSPN 3 (Golf Update is Live)

What future sports would you like to see added?

• Archery

Votes: 56 48.7%
  • Baseball/Softball

Votes: 54 47.0%
  • Basketball

Votes: 33 28.7%
  • Boxing

Votes: 44 38.3%
  • Frisbee/Disc Golf

Votes: 32 27.8%
  • Power Cruising/Air Sports

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • Table Tennis

Votes: 44 38.3%
  • Lacrosse

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • Croquet

Votes: 7 6.1%
  • Handball

Votes: 13 11.3%
  • Pickle ball

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other (mention in comments)

Votes: 2 1.7%

• Total voters

Barely Able

Yoshi
Pronouns
He/Him
logo-2x.webp

Release Date: April 29, 2022 (All Regions)
Physical MSRP: $49.99 USD, £39.99, €49.99, ¥5478, $69.95 AUD, $64.99 CAD
Digital MSRP: $39.99 USD, £30.99, €39.99, ¥4300, $56.00 AUD, $49.99 CAD
Developer: Nintendo EPD
Publisher: Nintendo
File Size: 3GB
Number of Players: See specific sports below
Supported Play Styles: TV, Tabletop (Single Player only)
Supported Controllers: Joycon, Leg Strap
Supported Languages: Japanese, British English, French, German, Italian, Spanish, Korean, Dutch, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Latin American Spanish, Canadian French, Traditional Chinese, American English
Online: Nintendo Switch Online Membership required for online features

Reviews: Metacritic, Opencritic

Which sports are included?

60-AA2-D33-7-ED1-4-E29-A72-B-6-EA1267-EE5-A9.jpg

• Play 4 on 4 or 1 v 1 matches using the joycon and leg strap (available in future update). Use the leg strap for penalty shootouts (available immediately for this mode).
  • Up to 8 players via online (depending on ruleset)
961-DE800-D0-F6-40-D2-B077-BDD184-B265-D6.jpg

• Bump, Set, and Spike using motion controls in 2 v 2 matches.
  • Up to 4 players local or online
61-FB763-D-D295-48-EE-B2-A2-8-DC3-DDB4334-A.jpg

• Use the Joycon to perform front and backhand shots and rotate to add spin in doubles matchups
  • 4 player local and online
1921-E421-3835-4572-9-EF9-3-CE682-ADBBF2.jpg

• Watch your stamina as your smack that shuttlecock in 1 v 1 action.
  • 2 player local and online
AC6232-D7-AEC8-4-EBB-B81-D-135-B0925368-E.jpg

• Wii Sports Resort’s standout returns with a variety of sword types and dual wielding to add strategy to your sword fighting
  • 2 player local or online
D19-EDD8-A-B919-4102-AE20-2525-EB0-DB8-D6.jpg

• The game that propelled Wii sports (and the Wii) into the stratosphere is back with knockout tournaments and obstacle course lanes.
  • Up to 4 players local, 8 friends online, or 16 players with random matchmaking.
Golf is also coming in an Autumn 2022 update per the website. Let’s hope for an eventual Summoning Salt World Record deep dive in a couple of years.

What’s new compared to Wii Sports?

Sportsmates! Love them or hate them, these are your new avatars for the game (Miis are still available).

Customization! By playing online random matchmaking, you can unlock more customization options for your avatar. Keep up to date as the selection rotates periodically.

The leg strap! Available in the physical bundle or as a $10 purchase (or equivalent regional price). You could probably rock one on each leg and play multiplayer against yourself.

Pro Leagues! Test your skill by rising through the ranks as you win online competitions. The more you win, the harder your competition will be. Rise through 12 ranks and earn Certified Pro status! Pro league unavailable via offline play.

Who knows! Online wasn’t available during the review period, so there may be more stuff we haven’t seen yet. There is also potential for new sports to be added over time.

What’s missing from Wii Sports?

Unfortunately there are some missing elements. Gone are any interactive tutorials that introduced you to the gameplay mechanics. It doesn’t appear that there are even tutorial videos for all of the sports, so if you want to figure out tennis, the French Open is starting in a month. As of now, there doesn't appear to be too many optional modes or variety for the present sports, but things might change as online features roll out or updates are introduced. And of course, a bunch of sports such as boxing, baseball, archery, and power cruising (the closest we are ever getting to a new wave race) are missing.

What’s not missing are the constant warnings to use the joycon strap and have a bunch of space when playing. The website mentions this multiple times, and I’m sure the game will as well.

Useful Information

Nintendo Switch Sports Official Website
Nintendo Switch Sports Announcement Trailer
Nintendo Switch Sports Overview Trailer
Nintendo Switch Sports Review Thread courtesy of @mazi

mii-on-the-left-as-seen-in-nintendo-switch-sports.large.jpg

This is here to show you that Miis are superior to Sportsmates

I’ll leave you with the main theme that absolutely slaps.

Last edited:
I believe Dodgeball got leaked along with something else (Basketball?), and Dodgeball is all I want. They could add Golf and Dodgeball and call it a day and I would be happy.

Last edited:
Yeah I really hope they will add dodgeball, it could be a lot of fun ! Canoeing would be a good pick too.

Nice ST!

I'm still getting this Friday because I want to enjoy it with my family like the old days. I will play a lot online, but I am really just waiting for golf in the fall. I really hope Nintendo gives us multiple 18 hole courses.

I would like archery as I thought that was great in resort. I think any sport that involves positioning the stick/racquet/appendage would be the most fun so I think lacrosse would be great as there could be scoring and goalkeeping.

Really excited for volleyball, one my favorite sport to play in real life. Was always disappointed that beyond the DOA horny spin off, there's not much video games about it.

Really want baseball back though, really disappointed it's not there. That was my favorite in the OG Wii Sports.

If the datamine is not giving us outdated infos, then yeah I'm hype for dodgeball, it could be fun. Here's hoping there's more in the work than just dodgeball and basketball. (And Golf)
I would be in for paid DLC adding more sports even, included in the expansion pack.

Really excited for volleyball, one my favorite sport to play in real life. Was always disappointed that beyond the DOA horny spin off, there's not much video games about it.

Really want baseball back though, really disappointed it's not there. That was my favorite in the OG Wii Sports.

If the datamine is not giving us outdated infos, then yeah I'm hype for dodgeball, it could be fun. Here's hoping there's more in the work than just dodgeball and basketball. (And Golf)
I would be in for paid DLC adding more sports even, included in the expansion pack.
I hope volleyball doesn't disappoint you. Even in some of the very positive reviews, volleyball has been singled out as something of a weak point.

So does this unlock at midnight eastern time tonight?

Looking forward to checking it out.

So... I had some problems with the demo of this game. To quote myself:

In all four matches of Tennis the game refused to register my swings. You don’t have to hold another button, right? The controls here are pretty much just like in Wii Sports, or I am getting crazy? Adjusted my distance to my screen again and again, but no luck either.
Never had something like that before, no. I just tried 1-2-Switch, some of the more precise games like the one with the treasure chests. Worked perfect without a hitch. And I played Turok just the day before with gyro aiming. Again, worked just fine.
@Gartooth had the same problem.

Well, the game arrived today and after doing another update for both Joy-Cons, I jumped straight to tennis, as you can guess. And had the exact same problem as before. Sometimes I could throw the ball up in the air, but nothing more. So I changed to the left Joy-Con (both day 1 units, but both had to be sent two times to Nintendo because of the famous drift problem) - and it finally worked as intended.
It's a bit awkward to play with the left Joy-Con in my right hand, but I can manage it for the time being. Oh well..

Last edited:
I hope volleyball doesn't disappoint you. Even in some of the very positive reviews, volleyball has been singled out as something of a weak point.
Ah, bummer...
Beach Spikers was pretty good!
Yeah it was. Which is why I'm disappointed that one of the only way to play volleyball video games is to play those embarassing horny games lol, either DOA or Beach Spikers. The pacing and strategy of position of this sport makes for very interesting game mechanics I think !

So... I had some problems with the demo of this game. To quote myself:

@Gartooth had the same problem.

Well, the game arrived today and after doing another update for both Joy-Cons, I jumped straight to tennis, as you can guess. And had the exact same problem as before. Sometimes I could throw the ball up in the air, but nothing more. So I changed to the left Joy-Con (both day 1 units, but both had to be sent two times to Nintendo because of the famous drift problem) - and it finally worked as intended.
It's a bit awkward to play with the left Joy-Con in my right hand, but I can manage it for the time being. Oh well..

That's unfortunate that it carried over into the final game, but Im glad your other joycon registers the movements for tennis at least.

what on earth is Pickleball

also this is teeeeechnically the fourth Wii Sports iteration

That's unfortunate that it carried over into the final game, but Im glad your other joycon registers the movements for tennis at least.
Yeah.
I just finished my third game of badminton. It worked perfectly fine with my right Joy-Con.
What is tennis doing to that poor thing…

what on earth is Pickleball

also this is teeeeechnically the fourth Wii Sports iteration
We don’t count that one since it was just an enhanced version (this is entirely for my selfish reasons). I only say this because ESPN3 is their online streaming platform before plus and they don’t have a 4. My joke would be ruined.

Pickleball is also the state sport of Washington since it was invented here, so I had to include it. Think table tennis rackets with a whiffle ball on a badminton court with a tennis net. So like an amalgamation of all those sports.

I'm watching a Korean streamer play it. Badminton looks class.

Volleyball now. Tbh even this looks like a lot of fun when they get into a match with a bunch of rallies. Game looks gorgeous.

Last edited:
Any new info on the Sportsmate/Mii customization options yet?
I don’t think so since it appears those are unlocked via online matchmaking and advancing in rank. Haven’t seen if certain tiers get unique items. Once the update hits then we might start getting that info.

Any new info on the Sportsmate/Mii customization options yet?
Well I'm watching some chambara atm and I'm seeing some really classy looking sportsmates. Someone has stuck these gorgeous looking earrings on hers.

Seems like plenty of hairstyles, outfits etc

Gonna post some fun datamined stuff from twitter, mostly just outfits and emotes plus an indication of how much support is pre-planned

FRZtgcoXoAMbQSj

A fun emote

FRZwb2nWQAAP7vQ

Furries
FRZwfHQWYAANGLH

Spacies
FRZwhx_XoAA_MdO

Sharkies
FRZwmhmXoAAY8aA

Just an outfit

Part 2:

FRZ5bLGXoAIUPFs

So these are collections they are each stored in the in game store for 3 weeks, with 28 of them currently on file that means there is currently support pre-planned for about 84 weeks, roughly a year and a half. So this game will be getting good support for a long time

FRZ6VacXwAIHTln

These are the first 14 collections planned by name
FRZ6WdfWYAEXwh8

Here is an image of what comes with the first one(face masks, a new pair of glasses and earings, new eye colors, a new hat, 2 new emotes, some ID tags, a new saber/racket, and some face paint) so each of them will be pretty hefty

FRZ80wiWYAIvqPE
FRZ84_YXEAAYYu0
FRZ88e0XIAAHyX_
FRZ9AK9XMAEG7fH
Emotes will have a wide range of art styles and seem very fun

Credit to https://twitter.com/Wipeoutjack7

Liking the emotes. Still don’t like the Sportsmates. Not so sure about the animals. Depends on how customizable they are. If anyone uses a raccoon (assuming they have one) and posts an image of it @HockeyBird gets compensation. You have been warned.

Liking the emotes. Still don’t like the Sportsmates. Not so sure about the animals. Depends on how customizable they are. If anyone uses a raccoon (assuming they have one) and posts an image of it @HockeyBird gets compensation. You have been warned.
There is no raccoon, only these:

I was hoping that we’d at least get some kind of canid furry, but we didn’t even get that… ._.

I’m curious if we can use one of these bodies with a Mii head, though…

There is no raccoon, only these:

I was hoping that we’d at least get some kind of canid furry, but we didn’t even get that… ._.

I’m curious if we can use one of these bodies with a Mii head, though…

They better let us make the Hamburglar.

idk I'm actually liking all the outfits and customization options for the sportsmates(that simple set looks pretty nice for example)

idk I'm actually liking all the outfits and customization options for the sportsmates(that simple set looks pretty nice for example)
I like the clothing and all that. Mainly the faces/heads all look the same to me. Maybe that’s just marketing consistency or something. I just think they went all out on Miis in Miitopia and them that’s mostly abandoned it seems. Guess we will see in short order though.

Found out what the rabbit avatars look like through emotes, same source

FRZxhKQX0AAssRL
FRZxhJPXoAI3Ulp
FRZxhJnWUAM4eSu
FRZxhJ5X0AIglL_

FRcnkhCUUAEiTY5

Found another collection on twitter.

Also Andre from Gamexplain confirmed there is no gender lock

So I think there may be multiple versions of the cards out there, because mine look a bit different than the ones posted. Maybe it's a regional thing?

2022042902373200_s.jpg

2022042902383500_s.jpg

Played Tennis, Volleyball and Badminton and won all three comfortably. I guess people are just getting used to the games.

I don't know why reviewers didn't like Volleyball, I actually thought it was quite fun.

Played Tennis, Volleyball and Badminton and won all three comfortably. I guess people are just getting used to the games.

I don't know why reviewers didn't like Volleyball, I actually thought it was quite fun.
Yes I saw some gameplay on twitch, looks good.

Heard mixed reports about soccer prerelease but that looks very entertaining.

It seemed like the first time I played each sport online I was playing the computer.
Second time through I could tell it was actual people.
Makes sense because some of the sports have tutorials.

It seemed like the first time I played each sport online I was playing the computer.
Second time through I could tell it was actual people.
Makes sense because some of the sports have tutorials.

Ah, the old MOBA trick! I guess I'll give it another try later.

The game is great, really really fun. Tried everything but soccer (online only) and I had fun with all of them. Sportsmates are cute and make sense in the context of the game. I tried the Mii and they kind of look ugly and clashing with the new art direction lol.
Unlocking customization is pretty addicting too.
The game has the potential to be a big hit. The updated formula still feels really fresh.

Back
Top Bottom