• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo Switch Sports |ST| WiiSPN 3 (Golf Update is Live)

What future sports would you like to see added?

• Archery

Votes: 56 48.7%
  • Baseball/Softball

Votes: 54 47.0%
  • Basketball

Votes: 33 28.7%
  • Boxing

Votes: 44 38.3%
  • Frisbee/Disc Golf

Votes: 32 27.8%
  • Power Cruising/Air Sports

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • Table Tennis

Votes: 44 38.3%
  • Lacrosse

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • Croquet

Votes: 7 6.1%
  • Handball

Votes: 13 11.3%
  • Pickle ball

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other (mention in comments)

Votes: 2 1.7%

• Total voters
Just wanted to go to this thread to say I love soccer so much in this game. Carry on.
Same
c1o1T0L.jpg

I've ranked up in a few of the other sports since, but this was how my menu screen looked after 10 days of playing haha.

I spent some more time with the game and finally played all the sports, and I have to say I don’t think there’s a bad sport here. They’re all fun in they’re own ways. Although soccer really is just an incredibly slow Rocket League. I really think all of them are fun, even Chambara which I didn’t like very much at first.

Sadly I still don’t think there’s a ton here to keep someone playing long term. It’s fun to hop online every once in a while, but that’s it. It can’t sustain long play sessions, or keep you playing every day for weeks.

I had a gnarly game of soccer today. There was a great back and forth for the first minute and a half and then everything went weird as we hit it into their goal twice and it wouldn’t register until it was half way back across the field. One of my teammates disconnected so the last three of us kept sending sad face emojis to each other, but we actually held the four of them off for the next minute and a half and won!

I’m winding down my Switch Sports playing more than likely this week, but this game is cool and I got way more out of it than I was expecting.

I don't know if this is a necrobump but here goes lol.

I played a lot of tennis last night and became a ranked player. Then I went on a huge winning run that took me from rank E to E+ to D- and then D.

I discovered that you can be extremely obnoxious with those emotes, spamming them right before serving to distract the other player. It was hilarious when this worked. If you played last night and saw a hysterical pineapple right before a serve, it was probably me and I apologise without sincerity.

Anyway, it's unfair to say Switch Sports lacks depth. The tennis alone is worth the price of the game. There's a lot of control with top and backspin, and lobs, all pretty easy to pull off.

Got the game a handful of days ago, got every sport into the ranked matches, and completed 2 sets of items, overall, mostly pleased.

I'm surprised that the online is actually pretty good, getting into matches is fast and the connection is for the most part pretty flawless, besides Mario Kart, ARMS, and the original Splatoon, my experience with the first party Nintendo games online goes from mixed to some level of miserable, so I'm quite happy about Switch Sports being like this, since it pretty much an online game.

Compared to the Mario Sports games, this actually has things to work towards in the online progression, I'll say that I don't dislike online only/centered games (I do like Overwatch, and play MMOs), but I do dislike that games like Aces and Star Rush have not much of anything on that front, I like Yoshi, but recolors and the classic costumes of Mario characters aren't quite enough, in Switch Sports there is a nice variety of titles, emotes, accessories, costumes to get, and they are all cute which helps.

I'm still mixed on the Sport mates, they are animated quite nicely, but I still their art style is somewhat generic, and it doesn't help that their facial customization is abysmal, more so compared to Miis from 2006.

I really like all the sports but I wish there was a bit more variety, Badminton, Tennis, and Volleyball, even with their differences, feel a bit too close in their structure, could have stick 2 of those as DLC while the base game gets Golf, and maybe a racing sport. Wonder if we'll get more complex sports down the road, since Football is already like an outlier of the simple nature of the game.

But yea, good game.

Ever play a 1v2 in Soccer because 5 players disconnected in the first 30 seconds of the match? The players on the other team scored two points for my "team", so we could end the match in a tie.

Some decent hats at least

Disappointing that the options for swimwear are just a two-piece swimsuit and…a goofy one-piece swimsuit. ._. No shirtless swim trunks…? Oh well. XP

I guess that’s the cost of outfits not being gender-locked, though; can’t have any exposed ~nipples~ on what could be…GASP…a girl! >_>

Ever play a 1v2 in Soccer because 5 players disconnected in the first 30 seconds of the match? The players on the other team scored two points for my "team", so we could end the match in a tie.

As much as I hate Nintendo's online system for encouraging you to play with friends, this is why I somewhat enjoy it.

Had a bug in bowling where all the other online players dropped and it was just me.
Played till the end and I got the points.

Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak is gonna cause me to miss out on the weekly items for the first time, I know it.

The new stickers are ... unfortunate in a way I wish artists had smartened up enough to avoid by now. Played a bunch today, so saw the same players repeatedly, and one of them who kept spamming crying laughing emote, seemingly to troll, later switched to the most easily misread bug emote and I'm giving them the side-eye.

Speaking of stamps, has anyone come across a sprite rip of all the stamps that are currently in the game? I’ve seen some posted online back at launch (including ones that weren’t released yet like the rabbit ones, since they were already in the game data at the time), but I haven’t been able to find a full rip of them yet. I’d really like to use them as stickers in messaging apps, lol.

Shark Week!
I'm glad you can put glasses on it.

I think I'm at the point where they need to make it easier (quicker) to unlock the weekly items or I'm going to stop playing.
Or add a new sport.

kSTvQkf.jpg

Shark Week!
I'm glad you can put glasses on it.

I think I'm at the point where they need to make it easier (quicker) to unlock the weekly items or I'm going to stop playing.
Or add a new sport.

kSTvQkf.jpg
Agreed. Takes too long unless you are playing with multiple non-guest people. Still having fun but don’t like the idea of having to essentially grind to unlock this stuff.

Thirded. I managed to knock out all of last week's unlocks in one (long) Wednesday evening, but I can't keep doing this for years. It's the way these battlepass-likes go for me. They're motivating while I have the time to complete them, but as soon as I know I won't be able to 100% get every item I want that actually turns into a negative incentive.

I'll still squeeze in a couple of games of soccer every other day, though.

I'm a little mixed on unlocking items. I still enjoy the game, and I think having the items to unlock has kept me playing the game longer than I otherwise would have, but remembering to unlock them can feel like a hassle at times when I'm more into other games. I don't think they take very long to unlock relative to how much time they give you, but I'd still like to see them increase how much time we have before the items go away (because they definitely won't remove the time limit entirely).

I guess I ultimately don't care that much because I just wanted this to be a game I play here and there until I completely forget about it when Splatoon 3 comes out, and the weekly items have helped it fill that role nicely.

It's difficult to say what their longterm plans are for this but I think looking at Tetris 99 for its unlock system would make sense. It'd be nice if all the items that you miss go into a "pool" that you can unlock stuff from whenever you want but you need a different currency for it (in Tetris 99 it was tickets). But that would probably require a bigger update to implement.

Switch Sport was #2 on the Eshop yesterday in NA lol.

I bet we will get more after golf updates. Seems to be very popular evergreen

Room IDs is a nice addition. I just wish the game didn't give me the disconnect error so much.

The wait for golf is so long…

This update is a big nothing for me tbh. This game was a big disappointment. Just no substance to keep me playing for longer than a few hours.

Switch Sports long-term sales are really going to surprise people imo. The game is showing remarkable legs in most regions.

This update is a big nothing for me tbh. This game was a big disappointment. Just no substance to keep me playing for longer than a few hours.
Have you played online? That's the primary appeal imo

Update available July 26
The new Volleyball moves and Room IDs are a very pleasant surprise. Like all the other stuff coming in updates I wish they had been there from the beginning but it gives me confidence that they won't just drop the game like a hot potato. There's still a ton that could be potentially added beyond just new disciplines.

Online play is where its at.

That said, it's a budget release at 39.99 and you're not suppose to play for more than few hours. Heck, I don't think I can do that with any prior "Sports" titles lol

Online play is where its at.

That said, it's a budget release at 39.99 and you're not suppose to play for more than few hours. Heck, I don't think I can do that with any prior "Sports" titles lol
I assumed he meant a few hours total

I assumed he meant a few hours total
Ah, gotcha.

I play it once a week only. Usually Saturday morning while everyone is sleeping or doing their own thing. I think its fun. For 40 bucks, cannot complain. I would like an achievement system though built in.

Have you played online? That's the primary appeal imo
Not him, but for me personally, the sports themselves don't have quite enough to them to make up for the lack of more progress-based modes. I miss things like working my way through the various Miis in swordfighting, the different horde mode stages, going for all the stamps in archery, and my personal favorite island flyover. These were long-term things that were fun to chip away at. I should mention, my memories of playing Resort at eleven years old probably give it more credit than I'd get from it now - but still, it's a different experience entirely.

Online play is a solid addition, but it's the main draw because of all the subtraction, and I don't think the equation is balanced. I appreciate what it does add, but I also feel like this is a series that loses more magic going from couch multiplayer to online than just about any of Nintendo's others (except perhaps Mario Party).

To be clear, I enjoy it enough that I don't regret the purchase. I just find myself wishing it was going for something a little different, and I think the way my playtime fell off a cliff the moment I didn't finish a weekly set tells me I was trying a little too hard to like it more (and perhaps fill that progression void).

Not him, but for me personally, the sports themselves don't have quite enough to them to make up for the lack of more progress-based modes. I miss things like working my way through the various Miis in swordfighting, the different horde mode stages, going for all the stamps in archery, and my personal favorite island flyover. These were long-term things that were fun to chip away at. I should mention, my memories of playing Resort at eleven years old probably give it more credit than I'd get from it now - but still, it's a different experience entirely.

Online play is a solid addition, but it's the main draw because of all the subtraction, and I don't think the equation is balanced. I appreciate what it does add, but I also feel like this is a series that loses more magic going from couch multiplayer to online than just about any of Nintendo's others (except perhaps Mario Party).

To be clear, I enjoy it enough that I don't regret the purchase. I just find myself wishing it was going for something a little different, and I think the way my playtime fell off a cliff the moment I didn't finish a weekly set tells me I was trying a little too hard to like it more (and perhaps fill that progression void).
oh yeah, don't get me wrong this is the worst wii sports game

but it's still damn good, it's good as hell

I think that's where we differ. For me it's just good.

That's alright though. I'll still be jumping into it on occasion, and I've gotten plenty out of it for a $40 game already. But I don't expect any particular update to get me playing as regularly as I did at launch.

I think that's where we differ. For me it's just good.

That's alright though. I'll still be jumping into it on occasion, and I've gotten plenty out of it for a $40 game already. But I don't expect any particular update to get me playing as regularly as I did at launch.
well see I think Wii Sports Resort is the best game Nintendo has ever made so my whole chart is probably transposed up from yours

oh yeah, don't get me wrong this is the worst wii sports game

I think it's pretty definitively better than the original. It has more sports and the ones that are here are far more fleshed out than on the wii. And a fully functional online shouldn't be understated. That's on top of adding more sports down the line, having ranked mode for replayability, and customization.

Of course the original was intentionally smaller in scope and free (for most of the world), but I don't see how that could be better than Switch Sports, and I was a kid when the Wii came out so I have peak Wii Sports nostalgia lol.

I can definitely see why someone would prefer OG Wii Sports over Switch Sports even if I don’t personally agree. The first one had such an elegant arcade-like simplicity reminiscent of NES-era Nintendo. It just feels very "whole" despite objectively being barebones.

Switch Sports really just needed more single player stuff to do. But I also feel like you could add to it almost endlessly.

Back
Top Bottom