• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Nintendo Switch Presentation happened 6 years ago

Here's the OG 60fps upload, it's been unlisted for some reason for a while:

found my comment there lol

image.png

Yeah I remember watching it and feeling like they had a really good showing with a confidence I hadn't seen from them in a long time. Then going to gaf and seeing people say it was shit and the Switch was doa, lol.

The fact that some people are still saying that presentation was dissapointing while 2017 was probably the best year of the Nintendo switch so far (if not one of the best years for a Nintendo fan in the last 20 years) proves that people have extremely unrealistic expectations regarding directs.

The Nintendo 64 was my childhood and I adored it, but man, if I had been into enthusiast forums during that era I would ended up being extremely dissapointed. Meanwhile 9 year old me only has fond memories of that gaming era.

Yeah, that was very good, and they even showed a video with the 3r parties so even in that part it did'nst dissapoint. While the best moment was def. the BoW trailer, my second hype moment was the Fire Emblem Warriors teaser. Also I still remember telling a friend that was very exicted for SMT5 that don't get their hopes up, knowing Atlus it was still going to take years

The presentation itself was pretty damn bad but the games were great, even if some of the trailers were a bit offputting in the moment

I still watch the EZA reactions a couple of times a year.

This is still my single favorite Nintendo event of all time (other than maybe way back in the day), and nothing since has come close. It's like it was tailor-made for me:

• Switch is revealed, looks great and is priced as I figured
  • Mario Odyssey full reveal with New Donk etc.
  • Octopath debuting the HD2D look
  • Skyrim on a handheld? Cool!
  • Shin Megami Tensei V?!
  • Xenoblade 2!?!?!?!?!??!!
  • Best single videogame trailer of all time with Zelda: BOTW
  • Which is coming out in LESS THAN TWO MONTH ZOMG

Seriously, this presentation was SO good. I can understand some disappointment with third parties and lack of a lot of other Nintendo properties, but for me personally who's basically into Nintendo for Zelda, Mario, and JRPGs, this presentation was perfect.

The EA representative talking about being a huge Nintendo fan and his son being named Luigi while sporting the biggest "I wish someone would just fucking murder me right now" expression on his face lives rent free in my mind ever since then.

Oh, God, this image... a friend of mine sent it to me shortly before the presentation. He dismissed it as an obvious fake because there was NO WAY that Capcom would only have a Street Fighter II port ready to accompany the release of a new Nintendo handheld. Logically, I agreed with him. We were fools. Fools, I tell you!
I remember everyone believing this was true because why the fuck would someone try to fake that a game called "Milk" was in the event.

The day we were blessed with the best trailer Nintendo has ever put together. I can only wish Tears of the Kingdom gets a trailer of that caliber.

I remember getting goosebumps watching that trailer. It was so good

I remember telling my wife I was going to stay up and watch this on the living room TV. She went to bed. After watching I was happy with the hardware and price but disappointed that Mario wasn’t coming out at launch. I was skeptical of open-world Zelda but still had BotW pre-ordered for Wii U.

My initial plan was going to be to wait and see. Didn’t think I needed it at launch. But then I remembered how Nintendo never makes enough of anything if it’s even remotely in-demand. This was right after the NES Classic frenzy, and I thought it might suck to try to get one in November. I pre-ordered at a few places before launch. Don’t remember which one I kept. Maybe Best Buy?

Oh yeah and that BotW trailer is better than the game, and the game is GOAT.

I watched it live, but it didn’t make much of an impression on me same with the final Zelda trailer at least nowhere near the love you regularly see for them on Fami. The big thing for the night for me was how easy it was to preorder afterwards. I don’t think that’ll ever happen again for new hardware.

The BotW trailer is a terrible trailer for the game. As a piece of hype building marketing material it’s amazing but it’s not at all a good representation of the game. The E3 2016 trailer was much better in that regard.

I remember finding it underwhelming. They had convinced me already to buy day one with their reveal trailer but I was disappointed that much of the presentation was about Arms, hd rumble and 1-2 Switch. I expected to see Switch Sports or something that would utilize the joycons in a similar way. In the end BotW trailer saved it. The rest was so-so.

ARMS and ice cubes are what I remember most from it.
Basically this.

The whiplash of watching this great presentation then going online to see people say it would sell less than the Wii U.
LMAO, it was so funny, so many people were like "yeah I'm buying it day one but it will fail". Well why will it fail if all of you are buying it?

I think that a large part of what caused a somewhat lukewarm reaction to this event on message boards were all the rumors flying around about a massive day 1 library, GameCube VC, a $250 price, and a “hardcore” focus.

Of course, this presentation announced Mario Odyssey, Xenoblade 2, SMT V, ARMS, and several other big titles plus that legendary BOTW trailer - it was obviously a strong showing in hindsight!

I still think it was a mistake to open with 1 2 Switch and a motion control trailer for Arms. It gave a weird vibe right away, like a confusing messaging after the crystal clear reveal, and add to that the terrible third party showing and a higher than expected price for the joycons and the dock I can understand why some people were down on it despite some good trailers.

But some took it way too far with the doom. So many youtube videos from "respected" creators going all out on the Nintendo hate after that, not only "this was bad" but "they deserve to fail after this" type of thing. The backlash was surreal to the point where I have to believe some of these guys just have pent up hate against Nintendo just waiting to be released. Hopefully this has all disappeared by now.

This really should've been my first sign not to look at the internet until I'd formed my own opinion. I definitely was down on it, but the broader reactions made me not preorder.

The rumors beforehand of course contributed, but thanks to the internet I also had both unrealistic expectations for what Nintendo's lineup would look like and a skewed perspective on what they "needed" for the system to be "good." For my part, I really wanted and expected Animal Crossing. Obviously in hindsight it was never going to work out that way, but I honestly still think my perspective of the Switch would be more positive today if I had been playing a simpler Animal Crossing from Year 1.

Overall, it was a very unique moment in time. I'm not sure if we'll see something like this again for a long time.

but I honestly still think my perspective of the Switch would be more positive today if I had been playing a simpler Animal Crossing from Year 1.
Maybe it's true, but the world did benefit from AC releasing in March 2020. And all you had to give up in exchange is souring a little bit your experience with the switch. I thank you for your sacrifice to the greater good.

oooh that's a brave one, kudos.

My hot take for the Switch reveal is that I don't know why it wasn't just a Direct 😅
I think for the Switch launch they mostly wanted to get away from the style of marketing/presentations they had for the Wii U. So they had to do things differently and make it clear to the market they were doing things differently.

It seems like they significantly reworked their marketing (probably a new agency?) for Switch and that was clear with the 4-minute October 2016 first look video. It was presented so differently than any of the Wii U or 3DS hardware or feature reveals. They didn't need a voiceover to explain anything. The Switch name was perfect and simple, the visual design/logo animation and snap sound effect all worked together. It was cool! They showed real games and you knew what this was about after watching a 4 minute music video with young adults doing hip young adult things.

In hindsight, yeah maybe a 45 minute, tightly edited direct would have been a better January 2017 event, but at the time I think they were trying to shake things up and a live event is exciting.

Last edited:
My hot take for the Switch reveal is that I don’t know what the big deal with the BotW trailer was
That is a hot-ass take.

I could go on and on about it, but it was long, didn't feel like it revealed too much, and it didn't lie. There's even pop-in in the shot where it zooms out from Link standing on the Great Plateau tower.

It's just a trailer that gets made when a company is super confident in their game. Every part of it was either cutscene or real gameplay, and it was all exciting to watch.

My hot take for the Switch reveal is that I don’t know what the big deal with the BotW trailer was
Is that it also gave a lunch date of March 3.

There was a lot of “leaks” saying it wasn’t gonna lunch alongside the switch. Because the game didn’t actually have a release date then. So you get this massive open world Zelda game that fans have wanted and now it’s date and day with switch. New era for Nintendo.

oooh that's a brave one, kudos.

My hot take for the Switch reveal is that I don't know why it wasn't just a Direct 😅
EDIT: Oops wrong citation.
But I kinda miss live presentations so at least we got to see everyone at Nintendo goofing around. 100% worth it.

It's my favorite game trailer of all time.

EDIT: Oops wrong citation.
But I kinda miss live presentations so at least we got to see everyone at Nintendo goofing around. 100% worth it.

It's my favorite game trailer of all time.
Oh I like when we can see them live as well, generally. But there was something so strange about them doing goofy fun stuff (Suda and Nogami in particular) to a near-silent room full of suits. And the translation issues woulda been solved if it weren't live, too. So I'm not saying I wish they hadn't! I'm just saying they're typically such a safe company, a pre-recorded Direct woulda been the safe move and I'm surprised they didnt go that route.

That is a hot-ass take.

I could go on and on about it, but it was long, didn't feel like it revealed too much, and it didn't lie. There's even pop-in in the shot where it zooms out from Link standing on the Great Plateau tower.

It's just a trailer that gets made when a company is super confident in their game. Every part of it was either cutscene or real gameplay, and it was all exciting to watch.
One thing I will say about the Switch Presentation trailer for BotW: it didn't exactly match the vibe of the game we got. Not that that's a big deal! But it definitely led me to believe that BotW would have a big, booming OST and a bunch of big exciting cutscenes, and what we got was actually a lot closer in spirit to the first full trailer (the title reveal trailer, I mean).

The Presentation trailer was fantastic, don't get me wrong. But I think the other one was the better representation of the game.

Now there's a series that would do well on Switch.

I actually remember ending the presentation very mad about paid online and it lasting a total of two days before I pre-ordered my release day switch.

This cost me getting it three days later than release day 🥲

I actually remember ending the presentation very mad about paid online and it lasting a total of two days before I pre-ordered my release day switch.

the presentation (and especially the reactions to it) kept me from getting mine until the 17th

that was a miserable two weeks

I just checked my order history and I got mine on the 7th

of July

I'll push back on the idea that the BotW trailer didn't represent the game. A game doesn't need to be bombastic end-to-end to still feel like an epic adventure or have epic moments as depicted in the trailer, which was mix of landscapes of the world, past flashbacks and the present quest with the Hyrule tribes and Divine Beasts. It showcased a variety of tone - a sombre overworld, big bang flash moments with giant robots and monsters, character interactions - just as you might encounter in the game. It's not like BotW had 'no' story.

in hindsight, it being a story-focused trailer for a game with such a limited story rubs me the wrong way
Yep I just don't care for story trailers in general, I always zone out

Like that BotW trailer was proper cinematic and all but I legitimately did not care for it. I was way more hyped for ARMS hahaha

BOTW is literally the game that made me a gamer again, after abandoning the hobby since high school. An injury while running, a Wii U I borrowed from my then boyfriend, and a week and a half of paid sick leave made me go from thinking the switch was a "neat device" to becoming obsessed with it, and buying it plus BOTW/Splatoon 2 shortly after.

I spent like 30 hours goofing around, utterly terrified to set foot close to Hyrule's castle and without a single Divine Beast attempted yet.

Man, Koizumi is a wickedly good presenter 😎

It was a very Nintendo presentation overall. The company really has its own DNA and unique verve.
Given their repeated homeruns and demonstrated ability to create bangers, who has the right to say "you are doing it wrong?"

While overt third party support at this time was an overall letdown, we all understand why. (BTW, Nagoshi, still waiting!!!)

The reveal for Super Switch 2 should be a mighty turnaround on that front!

Yeah, i miss the early days where online was free

Y'all I will never forget that BOTW trailer tho. Not in my life. I used to do video editing as a hobby (I would love to still do it but these days I have too much stress at work to be able to handle fragile editing software crashing every 5 minutes), and it always fascinated me, the question of what goes into a good trailer to make the audience wanna watch the movie or play the game without giving away too much. With that in mind this one was a perfect example of how to do it right (the music played a big part, lbr).

Overall, this seems like it happened so long ago and at the same time it feels like yesterday. It's kinda weird.

Anyways I laughed in everyone's face when they said the Switch would flop and I'm glad I did.

I'll push back on the idea that the BotW trailer didn't represent the game. A game doesn't need to be bombastic end-to-end to still feel like an epic adventure or have epic moments as depicted in the trailer, which was mix of landscapes of the world, past flashbacks and the present quest with the Hyrule tribes and Divine Beasts. It showcased a variety of tone - a sombre overworld, big bang flash moments with giant robots and monsters, character interactions - just as you might encounter in the game. It's not like BotW had 'no' story.
Agreed. And I never understood the arguments that the story trailer was misleading just because most of the cutscenes it showed were flashbacks from the past. So what? That doesn't make them 'not count' or something, they were still there and still had a huge impact. BOTW is my favorite Zelda story ever and it's honestly enhanced by the way you uncover it and get the memories, not hurt by it, IMO.

This presentation could've used Ravi Drums

I mean, they all could

But he would've brought it home

Back
Top Bottom